Frank Lampard | New Diary of a CEO interview

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He'll do a respectable job at Chelsea and then land on his feet at West Ham after they sack Moyes.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He'll do a respectable job at Chelsea and then land on his feet at West Ham after they sack Moyes.
That would be a good route for him. Especially if they were relegated. Would be hard to fail.

Revaulx

I wonder what’s motivated this?

Has Boehly gone full Ed Woodward and done it because he believes it will bring the sentimental and nostalgic fans on board (Chelsea DNA)?

Or because Frank has enjoyed moderate success managing youngsters, of which Chelsea has a lot right now?

I suppose the latter might work [edit: in the short term only, obvs]. What though if he decides that their best chance of success is by relying on pre-regime change players. That would really antagonise the board.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Lampard's teams typically leak goals like a sieve and we barely score any.

This has recipe for disaster written all over it...

Wonder what our goal difference will be over his tenure..?

Should have kept Potter to end of season? Knee jerking to fan pressure? Maybe marketing reasons or something behind it.

Taroliev

Now watch him do a Di Mateo, becoming the first English manager to win it since Bob Paisley. It will be peak hilarity if he is then made permanent, but that will last only a few months till he's sacked again. Also, it would be a shame to see Chelsea catch up to us in terms of the number of CL titles won.

It's not that weird an appointment, all things considered. Most of my friends who happen to be Chelsea fans seem to be sober about the whole affair, and understand why this is happening. There seems to be a level of respect for Frank Lampard, the interim manager, amongst them that I don't see many of us having for Ole as interim. Then again, I guess it's all a question of how far we've fallen if we are to make that call again.

Personally, I think he is the right figure to have at the club to handle this situation. The familiar face of a club legend seems to be welcome among a restless bunch of players
who've looked rudderless during these last few weeks (like Ole and Di Mateo were during there respective stints). And, expectations will be low. No angst among fans. Season in its final sprint. The perfect setting to burnish his reputation.

Edwards6

Should have kept Potter to end of season? Knee jerking to fan pressure? Maybe marketing reasons or something behind it.
Think it's just as simple as Todd Boehly doesn't have a clue what he's doing

Ibi Dreams

Should never have sacked Tuchel really. It's very funny watching you go from him back to Lampard

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Think it's just as simple as Todd Boehly doesn't have a clue what he's doing
All reports are saying he had nothing to do with this decision.

Is quite amusing seeing just how many people aren't paying attention :lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
All reports are saying he had nothing to do with this decision.

Is quite amusing seeing just how many people aren't paying attention :lol:
In fact it looks like he was the one trying to give Potter as much time as possible. Apparently the recommendation to sack him came from the sporting directors a while ago and he listened to them in the end but Potter probably got a few more weeks in the job than he otherwise would have if Boehly and Eghbali had acted on that recommendation immediately.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Should never have sacked Tuchel really. It's very funny watching you go from him back to Lampard
Tuchel deserved to go based on 8 months worth of performances. There is also the alleged personal life issues that he gagged from being released. Please stop peddling a narrative.

On Lampard, love him, but if he is the answer then sacking Potter at this point was the wrong move. As I have said all along, they should have reviewed this shitshow at the end of the season and anyone culpable removed and replaced.

What improvement do they hope to get from Lampard that they weren’t already getting from Potter?

I’ve always been cautious to criticise how they’re running the club because most of their actions are long term projects but for sure this is their biggest mistake. Senseless waste of time and money for what we all expect to give the same results.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Tuchel deserved to go based on 8 months worth of performances. There is also the alleged personal life issues that he gagged from being released. Please stop peddling a narrative.

On Lampard, love him, but if he is the answer then sacking Potter at this point was the wrong move. As I have said all along, they should have reviewed this shitshow at the end of the season and anyone culpable removed and replaced.

What improvement do they hope to get from Lampard that they weren’t already getting from Potter?

I’ve always been cautious to criticise how they’re running the club because most of their actions are long term projects but for sure this is their biggest mistake. Senseless waste of time and money for what we all expect to give the same results.
Seems you’ve lapped up Bohley’s narrative right up. Personal issues and rumours aside, based on performances and results Tuchel did not deserve the sack. You won’t find a better manager for a few years now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
In fact it looks like he was the one trying to give Potter as much time as possible. Apparently the recommendation to sack him came from the sporting directors a while ago and he listened to them in the end but Potter probably got a few more weeks in the job than he otherwise would have if Boehly and Eghbali had acted on that recommendation immediately.
And based on what I've seen and heard being a second in command to Eghbali would basically be a title in name only.

People may aswell be blaming Bettinelli.

MegadrivePerson

I assumed that when Potter was sacked it was because they'd had the greenlight from somebody like Enrique or Naglesman and were moving early because they were worried about another club snapping them up.

It's genuinely mind boggling that they sacked Potter to bring in Lampard!

MegadrivePerson

Now watch him do a Di Mateo, becoming the first English manager to win it since Bob Paisley. It will be peak hilarity if he is then made permanent, but that will last only a few months till he's sacked again. Also, it would be a shame to see Chelsea catch up to us in terms of the number of CL titles won.

It's not that weird an appointment, all things considered. Most of my friends who happen to be Chelsea fans seem to be sober about the whole affair, and understand why this is happening. There seems to be a level of respect for Frank Lampard, the interim manager, amongst them that I don't see many of us having for Ole as interim. Then again, I guess it's all a question of how far we've fallen if we are to make that call again.

Personally, I think he is the right figure to have at the club to handle this situation. The familiar face of a club legend seems to be welcome among a restless bunch of players
who've looked rudderless during these last few weeks (like Ole and Di Mateo were during there respective stints). And, expectations will be low. No angst among fans. Season in its final sprint. The perfect setting to burnish his reputation.
Firstly they've got to beat Madrid then City/Bayern then most likely Napoli to win it, so I really don't see it happening.

Secondly if they were to win it then Potter has managed more Champions league games for Chelsea this season than Lampard so you could just as easily give him a winners medal!

I Am Zlatan

Hopefully he gives them a new manager bounce for few games, Knock Real Madrid out of the champions league, gets hired then not win anything for 3 years :D

Fts 74

I know its only to the end of the season but this is a ridiculous appointment what has he done to deserve another go in the PL?

Talk about falling upwards.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Firstly they've got to beat Madrid then City/Bayern then most likely Napoli to win it, so I really don't see it happening.

Secondly if they were to win it then Potter has managed more Champions league games for Chelsea this season than Lampard so you could just as easily give him a winners medal!
He would get one if we win it, as Lampard and AVB did (plus any player who left in January but played the group stage).

mu4c_20le

Uhh what narrative would that be? How to destroy a football club in two months?

Real Name

Chelsea is fast becoming Dinamo Zagreb who are recycling their former managers all the time.

1st Mourinho than Lampard now again.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Honestly the most bizarre, unexplainable manager appointment I have ever seen. Defies logic.