Frank Lampard | New Diary of a CEO interview

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Does he? Or does ole get more criticism on here because its a united forum, Frank's mates in the media defend him but so did Ole's when he was here
He does get off a little lighter, but as bad as Frank is as a manager, he is well spoken in front of a camera. Ole was nowhere near that comfort level. I think that is the difference. For what its worth, I think Ole was a better manager than Frank, but would not want either of them.

jm99

He does get off a little lighter, but as bad as Frank is as a manager, he is well spoken in front of a camera. Ole was nowhere near that comfort level. I think that is the difference. For what its worth, I think Ole was a better manager than Frank, but would not want either of them.
I do also think that lampard being English does get him slightly better treatment than ole, the same way that Steve Bruce managed to inexplicably continue getting managerial jobs. But yes, agreed, I think ole is a bit better but not by much and neither are PL quality

Chief123

Because you're a bigger club so you get more attention for good and bad.

For example I doubt Mudryk will get an article like this if he scores and assists against Forest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65295131
You’re probably missing the point of the article. Scoring and assisting against forest isn’t the reason. It’s because’s he’s been in his best form over a number of games in recent weeks.

Meanwhile Mudryk has been warming the bench and looking out of his depth whenever he has come on. So yeah him just getting an assist or goal isn’t going to change that.

Mmm-Qatarian

Would it not have been better for Chelsea to just stick with Bruno Saltor in charge until the end of the season?

I know they were still in the Champions League when they hired Lampard but, being realistic for a second, he was not even close to being of the required calibre to make winning it a feasible possibility.

Granted, I assume his wages aren't massively high, but it still feels like a complete waste of money bringing in Lampard to see out a season that was basically dead anyway.

Djemba-Djemba

For example I doubt Mudryk will get an article like this if he scores and assists against Forest.

Well no but that's probably because Mudryk has been utter shite so far.

Antony started well, dipped and then the last few weeks he's been very good again. He kept hitting the woodwork so the goal on Sunday was definitely coming.

90 + 5min

Every time I see this thread highest up I think about him already getting sacked.

It wouldn't be undeserved. I wouldn't be shocked if Chelsea did that either. Just by looking what they have done past year.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The English aspect plays a huge role. Media has been desperate forever for a decent, let alone good English manager and Lampard and Gerrard - especially as they are high profile ex English players - benefit a lot from this.

Cloud7

They’ll beat Arsenal. The worst performing Chelsea team this millennium, led by arguably their greatest ever player, up against an arsenal team in a title race with city breathing down their neck, at a time when they seem to be faltering and need to dig deep.

The narrative is too good for the football gods to pass up, just like the Gerrard slip. Chelsea will beat arsenal.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh yeah, no worries and I'm not taking offence. :D For whatever reason, Lampard believes he is. As much as you and others think he's a bad manager and for as much as I and possibly ( @WeePat ) thinks he can still be a decent manager, Lampard seems to want to forge a managerial career. If he is serious about that, he needs to be more sensible with his career choices which have been highly emotional (a bit like his management career to date) which is surprising as he always struck me as quite a logical player and person.

If he does make a sensible choice and still fails I will finally admit he is crap. :p
I'm nowhere near as complimentary to his managerial abilities as I was before he took the Everton job. I thought he showed something at Derby and the first year at Chelsea that could be harnessed and developed. He hasn't really shown anything or progressed in any way since 2020 apart from his ability to understand the club he's at and embrace the culture and history of the club.

He's going to torpedo his career before it has even properly started if he keeps choosing the wrong clubs. What he needs to do next is chill, stop waiting for a desperate PL cub to come calling and just drop down a level, away from the spotlight and build his career properly like he should have done in 2018.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Why did they give him the job? Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this but you have to wonder why.
Bruno didn't want the role. They thought it was a safe bet with fans. They really did not count on Chelsea fans care more about the club than a club legend. Frank the player will always be huge for the fans. I can't say Frank the manager will be.

Stadjer

Only scored more than 1 goal once in that streak.
I thought Lampard his main problem was that he cant set up his team to defend. Scoring goals wasnt really a problem before (first Chelsea period) was it? Obviously at Everton scoring goals was a problem but they have Maupay up front. That explains a lack of goals.

Revaulx

I'm nowhere near as complimentary to his managerial abilities as I was before he took the Everton job. I thought he showed something at Derby and the first year at Chelsea that could be harnessed and developed. He hasn't really shown anything or progressed in any way since 2020 apart from his ability to understand the club he's at and embrace the culture and history of the club.

He's going to torpedo his career before it has even properly started if he keeps choosing the wrong clubs. What he needs to do next is chill, stop waiting for a desperate PL cub to come calling and just drop down a level, away from the spotlight and build his career properly like he should have done in 2018.
Same. I was never a fan of Super Frank the player at all; him playing for Chelsea and a particularly unlikeable England side ensured that.

My brother in law is descended from a dynasty of Derby fans; his great uncle or something was on the Board many decades ago. After having to endure Gary Rowett, Lampard’s season was a ray of sunshine. While they didn’t really improve results-wise, they played consistently enjoyable football and he showed that he could get the best out of a group of talented youngsters. The latter at least he was able to display in his first Chelsea season as well.

Sadly, having a high IQ is no guarantee of either good judgement or an ability to learn from one’s mistakes. So far he’s shown a lack of both. Maybe he could reinvent himself at a lower league side with a good academy and ambitious (but also patient) owners. I’m not sure how many such clubs exist though, and he might well believe that they were beneath him.

Ram1fy

They’ll beat Arsenal. The worst performing Chelsea team this millennium, led by arguably their greatest ever player, up against an arsenal team in a title race with city breathing down their neck, at a time when they seem to be faltering and need to dig deep.

The narrative is too good for the football gods to pass up, just like the Gerrard slip. Chelsea will beat arsenal.
Given Lamaprd's also an ex-City player adds to the narrative

bludsucker

James Corden said he'd come good
Don’t forget Richard keys. He wants chelsea to give him the job permanently. As he knows the club inside out. I for one wouldn’t begrudge him that. Long may he continue as chelsea manager.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

You didn't read the article, didn't see that game, nor did you pay attention to Antony's form over the past few games, did you? It's ok, but it was a very poorly made point.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What would "saving the season" have looked like when Potter was sacked, in a realistic best case scenario?
Not hiring someone who hasn't been sacked there would be a good start and I think that's being realistic. You don't hire an employee who has been fired back, just because you need manpower.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not hiring someone who hasn't been sacked there would be a good start and I think that's being realistic. You don't hire an employee who has been fired back, just because you need manpower.
A good start to what? What would "saving the season" have looked like realistically in term of end position?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
The craziest thing is not the losing streak or lack of goals, its the people who still think he has a chance of staying past May/June.