Frank Lampard's Sack Watch / Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
He’s done what too many Chelsea managers do. Buy loads of players unnecessarily. Has Werner even started as the main striker yet?

Why buy loads of attacking options when the defence is what needed sorting out? Like a kid in a candy store and wasted millions in the process.
With Chelsea, the question always is who actually wanted those players. Abramovich is notorious for dumping a load of shiny new toys on a coach and then having him deal with it.

Not trying to defend Lampard but I think he was happier in the lower pressure situation where he was bringing through the youngsters and not expecting to challenge. The arrivals of Werner and Havertz gave him a problem I doubt he wanted. I think Lampard would absolutely have preferred to have signed Rice than Havertz which would have made their team much more balanced.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
With Chelsea, the question always is who actually wanted those players. Abramovich is notorious for dumping a load of shiny new toys on a coach and then having him deal with it.

Not trying to defend Lampard but I think he was happier in the lower pressure situation where he was bringing through the youngsters and not expecting to challenge. The arrivals of Werner and Havertz gave him a problem I doubt he wanted. I think Lampard would absolutely have preferred to have signed Rice than Havertz which would have made their team much more balanced.
Apart from Shevchenko that's simply not true. And before you say Torres Ray Wilkins confirmed Carlo wanted him.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Apart from Shevchenko that's simply not true. And before you say Torres Ray Wilkins confirmed Carlo wanted him.
There’s a difference between a manager okaying a player and wanting them to be a priority signing though. The likes of Barkley and Pulisic were obviously not the choice of their respective managers.

As with any club, all transfers are a compromise between the board/dof and coach.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How do you solve your midfield? Do you think it's a problem?
It's the biggest problem in the team at the moment aside from the manager. The issue is our midfield options are fundamentally limited - we have no one who can both shield our defense and distribute the ball from deep. Here's how I'd break it down in terms of our central midfield options:

Kante - not a DM and never has been. He can be crowbarred into that role but the tradeoff is that our buildup suffers immensely. Against Arsenal, they just stood off of Kante and Zouma and only pressed Silva. Kante was totally incapable of taking advantage of the space and time afforded him, and against any team that sits deep he isn't a real option. He's also a terrible option as an 8 - he's very poor at receiving the ball with his back to goal. Needs to play in a midfield 2 with a reliable defensive midfielder who can sit deep and move the ball quickly to make up for his deficiencies - it's not a coincidence that his best periods have come alongside players like Matic or Drinkwater (when he was good) or Pogba.
Jorginho - good at distributing from deep but an utter liability defensively. Will be rendered useless by any lateral or vertical movement from any opposing attacking midfielder. Also surprisingly vulnerable to pressing and is liable to give the ball away in dangerous positions when pressed. Needs to play in a different league where pressing is less prevalent.
Kovacic - absolutely brilliant dribbler and a tidy passer, but his value is hugely curtailed if he can't dribble forwards. He's also very poor with his back to goal, so a role as an 8 is unsuitable. Basically he needs to play as the more attacking member of a pivot alongside a deep-lying defensive midfielder, so he has license to carry the ball forward and receive the ball facing the opposition goal.
Mount - our best midfielder and player this season by a distance. He is best used as an 8 but can be the more attacking of a midfield 2 in a pinch. Better in a 3 though.
Havertz - can only play as an 8 or a 10. Throwing him in as an 8 where he has more defensive responsibility was probably a mistake this year; he's struggled with the physicality of the league and exposing him to more of that was wrong. His best performances have come as a 10, so a midfield 2 behind him is required.

Thus you can see we've assembled a collection of players who can't actually play together. The most obvious missing piece is a defensive midfielder who can break up play and distribute - hence our documented interest in Declan Rice. Personally, I'd have sold Kante last summer if there was a suitable offer; he's not the easiest player to fit into a side all things considered, especially at this point in his career.

The one player I'd try to incorporate more is Billy Gilmour - he's a brilliant passer from deep areas and he's at least defensively diligent, far more so than Jorginho. I feel like Gilmour / Kante could be a functional midfield pairing, or a midfield three of Mount / Gilmour / Havertz might work. Obviously it'd depend on the overall selection as well.

city-puma

It's the biggest problem in the team at the moment aside from the manager. The issue is our midfield options are fundamentally limited - we have no one who can both shield our defense and distribute the ball from deep. Here's how I'd break it down in terms of our central midfield options:

Kante - not a DM and never has been. He can be crowbarred into that role but the tradeoff is that our buildup suffers immensely. Against Arsenal, they just stood off of Kante and Zouma and only pressed Silva. Kante was totally incapable of taking advantage of the space and time afforded him, and against any team that sits deep he isn't a real option. He's also a terrible option as an 8 - he's very poor at receiving the ball with his back to goal. Needs to play in a midfield 2 with a reliable defensive midfielder who can sit deep and move the ball quickly to make up for his deficiencies - it's not a coincidence that his best periods have come alongside players like Matic or Drinkwater (when he was good) or Pogba.
Jorginho - good at distributing from deep but an utter liability defensively. Will be rendered useless by any lateral or vertical movement from any opposing attacking midfielder. Also surprisingly vulnerable to pressing and is liable to give the ball away in dangerous positions when pressed. Needs to play in a different league where pressing is less prevalent.
Kovacic - absolutely brilliant dribbler and a tidy passer, but his value is hugely curtailed if he can't dribble forwards. He's also very poor with his back to goal, so a role as an 8 is unsuitable. Basically he needs to play as the more attacking member of a pivot alongside a deep-lying defensive midfielder, so he has license to carry the ball forward and receive the ball facing the opposition goal.
Mount - our best midfielder and player this season by a distance. He is best used as an 8 but can be the more attacking of a midfield 2 in a pinch. Better in a 3 though.
Havertz - can only play as an 8 or a 10. Throwing him in as an 8 where he has more defensive responsibility was probably a mistake this year; he's struggled with the physicality of the league and exposing him to more of that was wrong. His best performances have come as a 10, so a midfield 2 behind him is required.

Thus you can see we've assembled a collection of players who can't actually play together. The most obvious missing piece is a defensive midfielder who can break up play and distribute - hence our documented interest in Declan Rice. Personally, I'd have sold Kante last summer if there was a suitable offer; he's not the easiest player to fit into a side all things considered, especially at this point in his career.

The one player I'd try to incorporate more is Billy Gilmour - he's a brilliant passer from deep areas and he's at least defensively diligent, far more so than Jorginho. I feel like Gilmour / Kante could be a functional midfield pairing, or a midfield three of Mount / Gilmour / Havertz might work. Obviously it'd depend on the overall selection as well.
I think the real problem is that Lampard has too many good players. It’s ridiculous to leave any of them out long. Then, it becomes a combination problem to setup a match day lineup. Unfortunately, the number of combinations is too large. Realistically, the core should be stable and gelled well to establish a foundation first, and then have a chance to find a winning 11.
He is yet to find it. Give him time to figure out, but it’s hard to have your owner being patient enough I guess.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t see anyway a midfield 3 involving Mount and Havertz can work under Lampard. They play too similar of role and neither really offers enough defensively. Would require a new manager and a big overhaul of tactics for it to work and would need a predominantly possession based style.

Can’t see Lampard lasting much longer, we’re still completely clueless tactically both in and out of possession. Players have no idea whether to press or drop off. There’s no game plan bar hitting crosses and hoping the striker finishes them. Through the middle there is no patterns of play, no trained runs or anything.

Need to decide on a first 11 pretty quickly too and play through the bad patches of form. It’s counter productive constantly changing the midfield and attack. No player is being given a chance to find form or a rhythm. Attackers need to be playing consistently and that’s just not happened. Best spell of the season came when we had a consistent front 3 and midfield. Bar that, I’m not sure we’ve played the same front 3, 2 games in a row at any point.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

Interesting post.

To me, that combination of players really raises the question of why Lampard has been so intent on playing a 4-3-3 as a base formation. The pieces in midfield may not be great fits but the easiest way to find a fit surely is a 4-2-3-1, simply because there is no single player who can be the DM in the 4-3-3 but you can more likely piece together a serviceable if non-ideal two man midfield that has enough solidity and ball progression to provide a platform for the rest of the team (for example, Kante/Jorginho or Kante/Gilmour).

city-puma

Interesting post.

To me, that combination of players really raises the question of why Lampard has been so intent on playing a 4-3-3 as a base formation. The pieces in midfield may not be great fits but the easiest way to find a fit surely is a 4-2-3-1, simply because there is no single player who can be the DM in the 4-3-3 but you can more likely piece together a serviceable if non-ideal two man midfield that has enough solidity and ball progression to provide a platform for the rest of the team (for example, Kante/Jorginho or Kante/Gilmour).
I think it ridiculous to rely on a single IDEAL DM to do all dirty and hard work and all the others just jogging or even standing around watching. That cannot survive the modern football. I watched the 10 min highlight of Chelsea vs Leicester. I saw several times Pulisic as the left of front three run back to his own lower third to help the defense while Mount somehow was half hearted jogging back slowly. What’s the feck this team was setup? Was pulisic doing man marking? :confused:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting post.

I think this speaks to Lampard's broader reactivity as a manager - for me playing 4-3-3 is a holdover from last season post-restart when we looked very good with Kante sitting deep as a 6, but it's plain for anyone to see that that system is just not working at the moment. I think we surprised teams post-restart with Kante there as it's a position he'd never really played, and as such his limitations were not necessarily exploitable. The perfect example here is our matches against Man City - last year post-restart we had Kante behind Mount and Barkley and that clearly threw off City's plans to press our midfield. Whereas this season against City we used the same type of 4-3-3 and Pep knew exactly how to press us to the point where it wasn't even a contest.

Ultimately this falls at the feet of the manager. I do agree with you though; surely we have to find a functional midfield pairing. I'm increasingly pessimistic that Lampard can manage that, though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think it ridiculous to rely on a single IDEAL DM to do all dirty and hard work and all the others just jogging or even standing around watching. That cannot survive the modern football. I watched the 10 min highlight of Chelsea vs Leicester. I saw several times Pulisic as the left of front three run back to his own lower third to help the defense while Mount somehow was half hearted jogging back slowly. What’s the feck this team was setup? Was pulisic doing man marking? :confused:
Mate, I'm not trying to be condescending but admitting you only watched a 10 minute highlight video whilst offering an assessment of the match as a whole is dubious to say the least.

Broadly, our setup was far more lacking in attack than in defence this evening. Leicester have thrived this season on the basis of their fullbacks attacking; it's completely reasonable therefore that Pulisic was marking Castagne as he was the winger on that flank.

Also if anything, this match was support for the notion of the "single IDEAL DM", insofar as Ndidi almost single-handedly dominated the entire middle third of the pitch.

Listar

I was hoping to come in here to read a whole lot of excuses for Lampard to not be sacked at this point in time and I am disappointed. Where was the same passion shown earlier the season when people were trying so hard to prove Lampard is miles better than Ole? These people flip-flops so often that it is an utter embarrassment. Be a man and support your man when he is down, not turning tails at the first sign of trouble.

Tallis

Do we think Frank will come out with his job intact over the next 5 or so games ? I would love to see him complete the season to hear the excuses the media will make for him for finishing whichever spot they finish in.

If he gets sacked now, they will just say he didn’t get enough time.

Last edited:

city-puma

Mate, I'm not trying to be condescending but admitting you only watched a 10 minute highlight video whilst offering an assessment of the match as a whole is dubious to say the least.

Broadly, our setup was far more lacking in attack than in defence this evening. Leicester have thrived this season on the basis of their fullbacks attacking; it's completely reasonable therefore that Pulisic was marking Castagne as he was the winger on that flank.

Also if anything, this match was support for the notion of the "single IDEAL DM", insofar as Ndidi almost single-handedly dominated the entire middle third of the pitch.
Well, if that’s the real intention to let Pulisic to mark fullback all the way to your own box, I guess Bielsa is the right one to replace Lampard. He is the master of it and doing great stuffs in Leeds.
For Leicester, Ndidi is definitely wonderful but it also needs all the other players working hard and run a lot, every single of them.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Interesting post.

Spot on mate. This is why I keep saying that Chelsea's current squad doesn't have the right component to play that 433. Much more suitable in 4231.

He spent massive on Havertz without knowing his quality, the closer he is near the opposition box or goal the better the chance you will see his quality. He played as no 9 or the no 10 in 4231 or even on the right with Leverkusen last season. Play him in the no 10 behind striker and he will shine. If you want to fit Mount together then play Havertz on the right or play him as striker false 9 or Mount on the left. Either way he messed it up by spending big on players he's not sure if they can play together with last season team and perform as proper team.

Listar

I think the real problem is that Lampard has too many good players. It’s ridiculous to leave any of them out long. Then, it becomes a combination problem to setup a match day lineup. Unfortunately, the number of combinations is too large. Realistically, the core should be stable and gelled well to establish a foundation first, and then have a chance to find a winning 11.
He is yet to find it. Give him time to figure out, but it’s hard to have your owner being patient enough I guess.
If the real problem is having too many good players he should consider managing Sheffield United. He shouldn't have a problem there and may win a title or two.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I was hoping to come in here to read a whole lot of excuses for Lampard to not be sacked at this point in time and I am disappointed. Where was the same passion shown earlier the season when people were trying so hard to prove Lampard is miles better than Ole? These people flip-flops so often that it is an utter embarrassment. Be a man and support your man when he is down, not turning tails at the first sign of trouble.
They already realised they were just making things up earlier this season, tried very best to collect every points (pointless points) to suit their argument. They were quick and so early to judge, remember last season when we were 10 points behind them in November but end of the season we still finished above them? Well, this season we are witnessing another similar case but this time we might end up finishing with much higher points difference.

city-puma

Do we think Frank will come out with his job intact over the next 5 or so games ? I would love to see him complete the season to hear the excuses the media will make for him for finishing whichever spot they finish in.

If he gets sacked now, they will just say he didn’t get enough time.
Really hard to say. Chelsea’s next 10 league games definitely look not easy.

city-puma

If the real problem is having too many good players he should consider managing Sheffield United. He shouldn't have a problem there and may win a title or two.
Can they sell some to us? I like we have Reece James, CHO, and Kante. The latter two their fans do not rate at all as it looks.

Listar

Can they sell some to us? I like we have Reece James, CHO, and Kante. The latter two their fans do not rate at all as it looks.
I rather Werner. Werner is class and Lampard is wasting him. They should be title challengers with Werner, not trying their best to make him the scapegoat for their failures. I am pretty sure Ole can do a better job with Werner to be honest.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He wasn't wrong in the video anyway. ''Beaten by the better team''. Leicester has been the better team so far this season, I knew they would smash Chelsea if Vardy was available fit. I hope Chelsea still stick with him bit longer. I believe manager deserves more time to turn things around, look at Arteta! :)

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Agree with all that, question is can Lampard create a working team with the players we have. I'm going for no based on last few performances.

I actually think he's lost the dressing room bar the academy kids Mount etc. I'm wondering if he's really struggling to relate to the likes of Havertz, Werner, Giroud, Rudiger etc. Maybe if he'd played or managed abroad it would be easier for him.

Our squad is very good and if we get the best out of it still plenty of time to finish 4th or higher.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Have they not tried this midfield combination?

Kante
Jorginho

Pulisic
Havertz
Ziyech

Giroud

That looks a decent combination to me, has a passer, a worker, creator's, tricksters, and Giroud.

FahadiHossein

Wasn't Kante a defensive midfielder at Leicester and initially at Chelsea? He certainly wasn't a deep lying DM or a regista, and that would be Drinkwater or Jorginho, so his role was to aggressively win the balls. It was Sarri who converted him to a box to box midfielder.

Pep's Suit

Arsenal's only two points behind now? Wow. He has to win next two or it's time to go.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't Kante a defensive midfielder at Leicester and initially at Chelsea? He certainly wasn't a deep lying DM or a regista, and that would be Drinkwater or Jorginho, so his role was to aggressively win the balls. It was Sarri who converted him to a box to box midfielder.
No, he was used in a midfield pairing along with a deep-lying midfielder. He's at his best when he has license to press high up the pitch. Conte initially tried to use him at the base of a midfield 3 and we were terrible, culminating in the 3-0 loss to Arsenal. Basically if Kante is asked to sit deep that nullifies most of the qualities that make him a world class player.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well, if that’s the real intention to let Pulisic to mark fullback all the way to your own box, I guess Bielsa is the right one to replace Lampard. He is the master of it and doing great stuffs in Leeds.
For Leicester, Ndidi is definitely wonderful but it also needs all the other players working hard and run a lot, every single of them.
It's pretty standard to have your winger track the opposing fullback - the bigger issue was that we had no control of midfield to the extent that their fullbacks could fly forward without abandon.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Didn't Chelsea fans say Kante is back to his best or playing very well this season? If that's the case not sure why he is dropped now. Same with Zouma too, read how good he is and how poor Rudiger is. Now Rudiger has replaced Zouma in first 11.

Pulisic is weird case, looked so good after the restart but this season he looked very average player. This Chelsea is similar to last season, they have very good squad. There isn't much drop in quality when the players are replaced/rotated, problem is their first 11 is not very good, or at least haven't showed their best form.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I don’t see anyway a midfield 3 involving Mount and Havertz can work under Lampard. They play too similar of role and neither really offers enough defensively. Would require a new manager and a big overhaul of tactics for it to work and would need a predominantly possession based style.

Can’t see Lampard lasting much longer, we’re still completely clueless tactically both in and out of possession. Players have no idea whether to press or drop off. There’s no game plan bar hitting crosses and hoping the striker finishes them. Through the middle there is no patterns of play, no trained runs or anything.

Need to decide on a first 11 pretty quickly too and play through the bad patches of form. It’s counter productive constantly changing the midfield and attack. No player is being given a chance to find form or a rhythm. Attackers need to be playing consistently and that’s just not happened. Best spell of the season came when we had a consistent front 3 and midfield. Bar that, I’m not sure we’ve played the same front 3, 2 games in a row at any point.
This is basically how I see it as well. Last season being unable to bring in reinforcements meant Lampard had less opportunity to rotate and a clearer idea of who goes where. Finishing in the top 4 last season was impressive imo, but with the money spent last summer has added to the pressure on the manager. I'm sure he does have tactical approaches he wants to implement (and it was on display last season) but as you said the constant rotation of players and positions is hindering the development of chemistry, and again to echo what you said it seems like if you can deal with the deliveries from the fullbacks when playing Chelsea, there's not much else to their attack. Means that their attacking approach is somewhat predictable outside of individual moments of magic.

I think it's also a bad sign that he's blamed the players efforts post match a few times recently. Always seems like a risky tactics from a manager. I know in the past it's spurred players on, but equally I've seen it backfire. I always like to see (relatively) rookie managers do well and get given time, but I think the combination of the money spent in the summer, and Chelsea's strategic approach to hiring and firing managers means that the team will have to show signs soon of a resurgence.

Ace of Spades

I think Chelsea fans will probably know more about their own problems, but from the outside looking in things look pretty bleak for Lampard. Their squad on paper is a good one, but looking at them now you would think they are where they are on merit. Somehow, the new signings have had a negative effect rather than a positive one.

I like Lampard overall as a character, but can't see Roman being patient if their form does not get better. This is a crazy season, and a good run could see them back in the top four race easily, but can they turn it around, and will he be trusted to do that. The fact that Tuchel is available will be tempting surely, as the season could still be salvaged easily.

Personally, I hope they back him, not because I think he is bad or anything, but I think he should get the chance to save his job.

Baneofthegame

Kante
Jorginho

Pulisic
Havertz
Ziyech

Giroud

That looks a decent combination to me, has a passer, a worker, creator's, tricksters, and Giroud.
I wondered this, especially the front four I think would work well, perhaps they don’t have the defensive stability for it at the moment.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I wondered this, especially the front four I think would work well, perhaps they don’t have the defensive stability for it at the moment.
It’s a strange one as the midfield pair can surely defend? And focus on getting the ball to the front 4? It looks like a balanced side to me.

Moby

Dick

Kante
Jorginho

Pulisic
Havertz
Ziyech

Giroud

Frankie will rather get sacked than drop Mason Mount. They might actually be father and son.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Allegri or Tuchel would make Chelsea deadly I reckon. On paper they have a title winning team.
It’s not all Lampard’s fault anyway, they made a lot of transfers and the team just need to learn to play together.
What´s their title winning team. Their squad is big full of decent players however not a star player to really took them to the top level imho. Tuchel, the guy who failed with one of the best stars in the world? This is not a french league. Allegri and his suckcess really only came in similar fashion with best squad and money in Italy in Juventus. Premier league is much tougher. He would have a good squad vbut he´s too pragmatic to beat all both Manchester teams and Liverpool so easily.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Why would he drop Mount? He's been one of our best players.
He went from being a little overrated on here to underrated. He's been very good this season.
He does offer Frank a slight headache when it comes to fitting everyone in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.