Frank Lampard's Sack Watch / Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I wondered this, especially the front four I think would work well, perhaps they don’t have the defensive stability for it at the moment.
It’s a strange one as the midfield pair can surely defend? And focus on getting the ball to the front 4? It looks like a balanced side to me.
Biggest issue is that team would need a really coordinated forward press - that midfield 2 would be very open as Jorginho lacks any sort of mobility to have a serious impact defensively. In addition to the fatigue factor and our general pressing malaise of late, the other problem is Giroud can't press or run really. Essentially that team would have to play on the front foot at all times and would be wide open to being counter-attacked - more or less our biggest problem structurally last year.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Biggest issue is that team would need a really coordinated forward press - that midfield 2 would be very open as Jorginho lacks any sort of mobility to have a serious impact defensively. In addition to the fatigue factor and our general pressing malaise of late, the other problem is Giroud can't press or run really. Essentially that team would have to play on the front foot at all times and would be wide open to being counter-attacked - more or less our biggest problem structurally last year.
Thanks for this! I didn’t realise Jorginho had big mobility issues, what about Werner up top then? Obviously Kante is there to snuff out and press, what about Kovakic (spelling) instead then?

Do you think you will move to a more 4231 like united?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks for this! I didn’t realise Jorginho had big mobility issues, what about Werner up top then? Obviously Kante is there to snuff out and press, what about Kovakic (spelling) instead then?

Do you think you will move to a more 4231 like united?
I think Werner up top would give a better chance of success, especially because the whole team could sit a bit deeper to possibly offer Werner space in behind. Also if he's running at a defence it's inevitable that space between the lines would open up. Bigger problem there is Werner can't really hold the ball up and his contributions to our buildup play have been very poor thus far.

Re: the 4231, at this point it feels like that's what we might just have to use, especially if Kante's forward-minded instincts can't be curbed. If he can be convinced to just sit deep and sweep laterally (as he was doing pretty well at the start of the year), then I think a 4231 is a good option, shifting to more of a 4222 in possession (Havertz moving forward from the 10 to partner Werner). That gets Havertz closer to goal and gives Werner someone to play off of, which for me is probably the way to get the best out of both of them. Then you have Kante sitting deep and sweeping, with Mount probably stepping up into the 10 position when we have the ball.

Relfy

The main issue for them in my opinion is that they appear to be lacking leaders in the team right now. They're all looking at each other without taking responsibility. They look a bit soft in the middle of the park so they need to fix that. Whether this is something from within the camp, or simply the players they've bought in I am not 100% sure. I don't think teams look at their midfield and are worried that they face a battle in there - not in current form anyhow.

I do think Lampard should get more time. He's got a lot of things to solve, but a few tweaks could set them right. They have some winnable games coming up and a few wins can change the outlook altogether in this tightly packed league table.

Interested to hear what Chelsea fans are thinking right now. A few of my Chelsea supporting friends are on the fence right now.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think Werner up top would give a better chance of success, especially because the whole team could sit a bit deeper to possibly offer Werner space in behind. Also if he's running at a defence it's inevitable that space between the lines would open up. Bigger problem there is Werner can't really hold the ball up and his contributions to our buildup play have been very poor thus far.

Re: the 4231, at this point it feels like that's what we might just have to use, especially if Kante's forward-minded instincts can't be curbed. If he can be convinced to just sit deep and sweep laterally (as he was doing pretty well at the start of the year), then I think a 4231 is a good option, shifting to more of a 4222 in possession (Havertz moving forward from the 10 to partner Werner). That gets Havertz closer to goal and gives Werner someone to play off of, which for me is probably the way to get the best out of both of them. Then you have Kante sitting deep and sweeping, with Mount probably stepping up into the 10 position when we have the ball.
Thanks for the analysis, I think you might see what you have said in the near future as whatever’s happening now isn’t working.

simplyared

Chelsea were a complete shambles yesterday. Chilwell, who I believe is playing well, must have wondered what the feck he's got himself into. Talk about possession football without getting anywhere! It's obvious his players have lost it. No courage, comittment or responsibility. The job was far too big for him from the beginning. He's panicking now because he hasn't the experience to deal with the problem. Can't see him turning this around and therefore I'll be surprised if he's still Chelsea manager for their next game. With Tuchel waiting in the wings reckon it's a forgone conclusion!

Last edited:

theklr

I dunno how anyone were expecting that much of an inexperienced manager trying to fit half a dozen signings (and the two biggest without any PL experience) with an already good squad.

Thats a recipe for disaster, and I said it preseason. I'll will be very worried if they bring in Tuchel now or someone experienced because of the potential of the squad, but it will still take a full season for Chelsea to be competative again.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
With hindsight handing him the Chelsea job with so little experience was a massive risk. Roman believing in fairy tales hasn't come off.
I think it was the right decision despite what is happening now.

Okey

Why can't we have more interviews like this about the game and tactics and strategy?
Toplad
One of the best post match interviews I've heard from a player. Sounded almost like a manager. Good stuff.
On Lampard, he has 3 home games for the rest of the month. Win them all, which is most likely even in their current form, and things might start to look up again. Arteta managed to turn it around. So can Lamps.

Champagne Football

Based on what was it 3 games Gilmour managed before he got injured? And Rice and phenomenal in the same breath... :nervous:
Yup. With certain talents you can almost tell after a few appearances that they're going places. Rice is exactly what Chelsea need also. A leader and someone who will stay for 10 years. A London boy who is already settled in the league. He's far too good for West Ham and will 100% end up at Chelsea if they have either Lampard or Rodgers in charge by then.

GlasgowCeltic

I like Frank tbh he usually comes across fairly candid but generally reasonable, so I shouldn’t laugh at these quotes but they are quite poignant under the circumstances (if real)

Last edited:

Bojan11

He'll definitely be in charge but the next game won't really be of use as a barometer given its in the Fa cup against Luton.
You should beat Wolves and Burnley at home. Spurs match will be decider for his future. Lose that and I can see the board having enough.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yup. With certain talents you can almost tell after a few appearances that they're going places. Rice is exactly what Chelsea need also. A leader and someone who will stay for 10 years. A London boy who is already settled in the league. He's far too good for West Ham and will 100% end up at Chelsea if they have either Lampard or Rodgers in charge by then.
Well remind me never to hire you as a scout then, cheers.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Chelsea....Don't lose hope. Simon Jordan says so..

Simon Jordan is a clever man and I usually like listening to him, but he's talking utter nonsense here. He's dug himself into a hole with Solskjaer and is struggling to get himself out of it. How he can have the opinion he does on Ole and completely the opposite one on Lampard has no logic. So what if Chelsea thrashed Sevilla, what about our 5-0 over Leipzig if he's going to use that argument to show a manager has what it takes

ColvaleGoa

Simon Jordan is a clever man and I usually like listening to him, but he's talking utter nonsense here. He's dug himself into a hole with Solskjaer and is struggling to get himself out of it. How he can have the opinion he does on Ole and completely the opposite one on Lampard has no logic. So what if Chelsea thrashed Sevilla, what about our 5-0 over Leipzig if he's going to use that argument to show a manager has what it takes
Exactly it's cringeworthy SJ trying to stick to his Ole Narrative. Just a stubborn git on the subject of Ole!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not sure if he'll make it to February, certainly not the end of Feb IMO. Off chance he gets a go at the CL knockout rounds maybe?

GlasgowCeltic

The amount of pro Lampard content being churned out across the media, must be infuriating for them that the main decision maker likely won’t take notice any of it

crossy1686

career ending
Tuchel has been approached apparently.

On a side note, Solskajer's still getting shit from the media because Chelsea are doing badly and United are top of the league. The mental gymnastics are insane. Almost every opinion now starts with "Well I FEEL like..." or "I BELIEVE that Lampard is better".

Status
Not open for further replies.