Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

I thought he was very good, the only flaw he had yesterday was that he got dribble past by and struggled in strength to strength with Loftus Cheek which not an easy opponent to deal with since he is very strong, physically like Pogba and can dribble.

Our first goal started from his passing to find Bruno, hit the post and then restarted by his high pressing won the ball back and continued with one two passings with Bruno which led to the crossing and the goal. Times I have seen him being involved or influenced in our build up of the goals and chances this season which something un-noticed and people thought he only offers his high energy and pressing.
The issue is that some of us absolutely have double standard when judging Fred’s passing. Even when he has 100% passing success rate, they will find an angle to criticize his passing. It’s just the bias for whatever reason the others of us can’t understand.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
People act like he’s just back there playing safe 5 and 10 yard passes and still sometimes loses the ball in dangerous areas (which he has cut out a lot with a long run of games) it’s not true though his passing can vary from risky to solid and safe and it’s all over the pitch. When you combine that with the amount of running and tackling he gets through. I’d like to see by the end of the season how many good chances we’ve made because Fred won the ball back high up the pitch when the opposition had switched off

SirScholes

The issue is that some of us absolutely have double standard when judging Fred’s passing. Even when he has 100% passing success rate, they will find an angle to criticize his passing. It’s just the bias for whatever reason the others of us can’t understand.
When has any of this happened

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
When has any of this happened
100% is obviously overboard, but he did have a run of games earlier in the season where he was 90-95% and people were still complaining and talking as if he was losing it constantly. Up until about a month ago he'd been averaging 89.9% in the league, and that only really dropped off when McTominay started hiding and basically forced Fred to play as a one man midfield.

city-puma

People act like he’s just back there playing safe 5 and 10 yard passes and still sometimes loses the ball in dangerous areas (which he has cut out a lot with a long run of games) it’s not true though his passing can vary from risky to solid and safe and it’s all over the pitch. When you combine that with the amount of running and tackling he gets through. I’d like to see by the end of the season how many good chances we’ve made because Fred won the ball back high up the pitch when the opposition had switched off
In terms of the contribution from his work directly leading to the goals we scored, against Fulham, the ratio is an astonishing 50%!;)

SER19

I thought he had a good game honestly. He got stuck in and put himself about, like he normally does
Yeah I thought he was very good last night. Some games and opposition call for that type of performance.

I think that's where a big improvement has been made under ole, we've the players to win different ways.

lost7

He links up well with Bruno. He was the one who found him in a pocket of space twice in quick succession when Bruno hit the post and later forced a save out of Areola.

And I'm sure we all like how combative he is, that one moment where he challenged two players for the ball towards the end was priceless. Just wish his passing was more consistent, because sometimes he seems to thread some really good passes and other times he's just giving away possession cheaply

MikeeMike

He links up well with Bruno. He was the one who found him in a pocket of space twice in quick succession when Bruno hit the post and later forced a save out of Areola.

And I'm sure we all like how combative he is, that one moment where he challenged two players for the ball towards the end was priceless. Just wish his passing was more consistent, because sometimes he seems to thread some really good passes and other times he's just giving away possession cheaply
I’ve been anti Fred pretty much since we signed him. I try to be balanced in my opinion and always maintain he is a frustrating player as he has the skills but not the nous. Recently , for me obviously, he has improved. Great interplay with Pogba for Cavani goal. Broke up alot of play.

I still hope he can get even better and iron out blunders. Direct pass in first minutes could have been costly for example.
Is it only me (as I watch his defensive positioning) but he still marks empty space and ball watches instead of tracking a runner.
Also could look for space quicker in deep positions to show for the ball. Especially this “play from back “ tactic we have.

His workrate has been epic though.

Oranges038

He's been better this season, his overall play has improved. Games like Fulham the other night is one where you'd prefer to have someone sitting in and pulling the strings and controlling the ball in midfield. That's not his game unfortunately.

The one thing that really annoys me is the quality of his passing. He's so erratic and his ability to control the weight of a pass is just terrible.

Man Utd 3:2 Liverpool

MU655

Thought he and Fernandes changed the game when they came on. Progressive passing ended in the freekick for Fernandes to score, and also again made the pass to Fernandes for the cross to Cavani. A lot of interceptions at the end, and very good passing.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Put some much needed energy and pace into our play when he came on. Good sub.

Walters_19_MuFc

Surprised he didn't start, but his intensity was certainly something that was always going to be needed at some point in the game, and I feel his introduction changed the course of the game.

Was it his pass that led to the free-kick?

NoPace

Put some much needed energy and pace into our play when he came on. Good sub.
Yeah, it's good to see. Hopefully we buy a proper DM or keep a reborn Pogba and he can be really good here as a Nicky Butt sort of type who is somewhere between first choice and a bench guy, but one who can come in and make a real impact because against tired legs his being very quick for a #8 takes him from a 7/10 to an 8/10.

If Pogba does leave and we can somehow find a Xabi Alonso/Carrick type, all 3 of Fred, Van De Beek and McTominay could be suitable partners for that type of player providing different things as their partner and we've seen Fred-McTominay play well together with Bruno in front of them to profit from their solidity and make up for their lack of creativity and in theory Van De Beek-McTominay could work well too. Van De Beek-Fred seems less likely, but if we're really dominating teams they might be useful in some games or late in games where we need to just move the ball quickly above all else.

MadDogg

If Pogba does leave and we can somehow find a Xabi Alonso/Carrick type, all 3 of Fred, Van De Beek and McTominay could be suitable partners for that type of player providing different things as their partner and we've seen Fred-McTominay play well together with Bruno in front of them to profit from their solidity and make up for their lack of creativity and in theory Van De Beek-McTominay could work well too. Van De Beek-Fred seems less likely, but if we're really dominating teams they might be useful in some games or late in games where we need to just move the ball quickly above all else.
VDB probably had his best game next to Fred, albeit it was only against Basaksehir. Whether they'd be able to do it against a better team is another question but I think it'd do well against mid-table teams.

One of the key things with VDB is he seems to need players making themselves available to have interplay and quick one-two's. That's something Fred is our best at and it was noticeable against Basaksehir how the two of them were constantly moving to give the other an option to pass to; while it is something McTominay is fairly weak at (especially recently).

As soon as he came on the space that was being left open in front of our defenders disappeared. He is key to the way we play.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I said in the match day thread we were missing him. He might not always be pretty but his intensity is something we miss when he isn’t playing. Reminds me of Matudi at times, he wasn’t amazing but his running and pressing really helped his teams out

Adcuth

Think it was a good choice to have him come on when he did fresh. Give us an energy boost. Him starting and bringing mctominay on then wouldn't have had the same effect

KennyBurner

His passing between the lines is a bit underrated I'd say
This is a fact but if you look deep within this thread there are many claiming he can’t pass forward or at all. Maybe his passing can be very hit or miss but he is hands down our most weighted ground passer followed by matic.

Adamsk7

He's good enough now that i notice when he is not playing and in a good way!

Steven-UK

Fred over McTominay any day of the week. Fred has passion for the club in spades, and he tries extremely hard in almost every game. He's proved me wrong, as I thought is was an absolute liability in his first season. He still has his moments, but so does every player. Easily worth what we paid for him now...

MadDogg

Fred over McTominay any day of the week. Fred has passion for the club in spades, and he tries extremely hard in almost every game. He's proved me wrong, as I thought is was an absolute liability in his first season. He still has his moments, but so does every player. Easily worth what we paid for him now...
He was for most of it. Towards the end of that season he definitely started improving as I remember quite a few of us were hoping it would continue, and with him being the right 'type' of player we were hoping he'd get to a level the following season that he could cement a side in the strongest team. That's exactly what he did do and I'd say he's been easily our most consistent midfielder since then.

Adcuth

Think it depends in the opposition. His break up play is needed when we're being put under pressure. Mctominay is more use when we have more of the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.