Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

flappyjay

Bollocks he was. Even McTominay is a better player than Anderson let alone Fred
Yeah those 2 only beat him at having an engine. Ando didn't look out of place in terms of on the ball ability in our ucl winning squad and the season after, mcfred would look out of place in that team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
First touch was so bad that his second touch was a tackle.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Matic is his kryptonite... He just seemingly isn't capable of being any good when next to him.

Last edited:

MrBrightside1989

Was brutal on the ball tonight!
Has positives and deserves his place in the squad but against mediocre teams Ole really needs to have Pogba as a 6 with Mctominay. I would love him if he had a forward pass in his locker.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Matic is his kryptonite... He just seemingly capable of being any good when next to him.
Yeah I noticed that as well. IMO the reason for this is Matic makes a lot of risky passes, what puts Fred under pressure because he has a problem with first touch when the ball is not played perfectly to his feet.

He's been poor lately. I'd give van de Beek a chance in his place in midfield.

stevoc

Cavani's expression after he tried that shot in the first half is how we all feel after a Fred shot. :lol:

Rossa

Cavani's expression after he tried that shot in the first half is how we all feel after a Fred shot. :lol:
So it was a shot? We all clear on that? It could also have been that he tried to pass the ball back to the goalie for a goal kick, but obviously missed...

Not his best game exactly, but his pressing is important.

El Jefe

I've finally figured out what I don't like about Fred. He's a good player that brings good qualities to the side but he gets far too many touches of the ball for my liking. He is way too limited to be as involved or important as he seems to be in our linkup play.

I look at Liverpool's midfield and other than Henderson, none of the midfielders really have any of the play go through them. This scenario would suit Fred perfectly but for us being partnered with Mctominay especially, he becomes an integral part of our ball circulation and opening up the game. He hasn't got the ability to do what we're asking of him.

stevoc

So it was a shot? We all clear on that? It could also have been that he tried to pass the ball back to the goalie for a goal kick, but obviously missed...

Not his best game exactly, but his pressing is important.
Well...

For Fred it was a shot. For Cavani and everyone else it was something entirely different. :lol:

tjb

I've finally figured out what I don't like about Fred. He's a good player that brings good qualities to the side but he gets far too many touches of the ball for my liking. He is way too limited to be as involved or important as he seems to be in our linkup play.

I look at Liverpool's midfield and other than Henderson, none of the midfielders really have any of the play go through them. This scenario would suit Fred perfectly but for us being partnered with Mctominay especially, he becomes an integral part of our ball circulation and opening up the game. He hasn't got the ability to do what we're asking of him.
You nailed the problem, and at United, with us using a 2 man midfield, the problem is escalated. This is the position we need to fill in the most.

Foxbatt

He was terrible. We need to get two quality midfield players even before a striker.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He and McT would be our weakest link next year. Can't make a fecking 5 yard pass.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
There is no one left unless Pogba plays with Matic.
Ya... small squad really! It’s clearly good for minutes and team spirit but the key players get tired and the backup just isn’t really there. VDB is the only midfield option who hasn’t played enough. He’s fresh and he’s a good player who desperately needs minutes to get his career back on track. I’d be a fair bit more confident with Donny and Pogba in the middle than anything involving Matic. Matic is usually like playing with nobody but now you have to cover his mistakes too. He’s got to be on the chopping block this summer if we are serious about maximising the space in our squad.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's a genuine mystery how Fred can follow up his second half at Spurs with a performance like that.
He's been quite inconsistent since January. Mostly ok performances, with some shockers and some great matches. It's a shame as he was probably our most consistent player in the 18 months before that.

This match was obviously a shocker. Which I think describes all of his recent matches next to Matic. Not sure if it's playing with Matic himself (although I thought Matic was better in this match than normal), the fact that Fred plays on the right, or just a coincidence.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's been quite inconsistent since January. Mostly ok performances, with some shockers and some great matches. It's a shame as he was probably our most consistent player in the 18 months before that.

This match was obviously a shocker. Which I think describes all of his recent matches next to Matic. Not sure if it's playing with Matic himself (although I thought Matic was better in this match than normal), the fact that Fred plays on the right, or just a coincidence.
Oh I know, I call him out all the time.

See the first half against Spurs. It's nothing new for him.
True but, after a really good second half, you are hoping a player will take the momentum of a good performance into their next game. Especially as Fred's second half a Spurs was more than just good, and I say that as someone who is far, far from convinced about him (who would love to be proven wrong so we can avoid having to spend more money on our midfield when at least three other positions in our first XI need strengthening).

Compare with Donny who, lets face it, for months has been pretty average but who's come back from the international break with a spring in his step and has started looking much better. Fred reached such a good level at Spurs but last night it was back to undercooked passes and clumsiness. I just wish he would kick on.

Raven

His touch and passing were as poor as I've seen them yesterday, constantly caught on his heels. Yesterday was below his standards on the ball.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
His touch and passing were as poor as I've seen them yesterday, constantly caught on his heels. Yesterday was below his standards on the ball.
It certainly was, only oil for people´s flames here. But game like that happens and it´s good that it was one off against Granada, still he usually recovers in the second half and maybe not after this one so after this game I can see him step up again like always before. No such player can be flawless in passing and for CM/DMs we can have an excusew running around the pitch winning the bal lfor the team. Reason why him and bruno are sometimes poor passers, The standards should be defintiely higher than yesterday´s game though, that´s for certain.

Raven

It certainly was, only oil for people´s flames here. But game like that happens and it´s good that it was one off against Granada, still he usually recovers in the second half and maybe not after this one so after this game I can see him step up again like always before. No such player can be flawless in passing and for CM/DMs we can have an excusew running around the pitch winning the bal lfor the team. Reason why him and bruno are sometimes poor passers, The standards should be defintiely higher than yesterday´s game though, that´s for certain.
No doubt, it's hard to find players like Fred so I'm delighted we have him. What he offers the team is invaluable and Ole recognises that.

Ali Dia

Hes played about 20 more games than Pogba this season. About 10 more than McT. He’s surely going to have leggy games if he runs the most and we don’t ever rotate him. The only problem is there is nobody to rotate with. Your average fan thinks Matic or McT can just slot in but the drop off in any urgency in our play is real. We totally lack any gears or tempo when we take him out.

Zlatans Knee

I find it quite funny that people on here find all manner of excuses for his shite performances. Matic is his cryptonite, he is leggy after playing too many games, etc. The guy tries very hard but he is not good enough for us, that is all. He loses more 50/50s than he wins. He commits ridiculous challenges in stupid places of the pitch. He can’t head the ball. He can’t pass very well. He can’t dribble and he is not very good at shooting.
There are so many players in the Premiership alone that are better in his position. We will not have a hope of winning the league next year if he is still starting the majority of our games.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I find it quite funny that people on here find all manner of excuses for his shite performances. Matic is his cryptonite, he is leggy after playing too many games, etc. The guy tries very hard but he is not good enough for us, that is all. He loses more 50/50s than he wins. He commits ridiculous challenges in stupid places of the pitch. He can’t head the ball. He can’t pass very well. He can’t dribble and he is not very good at shooting.
There are so many players in the Premiership alone that are better in his position. We will not have a hope of winning the league next year if he is still starting the majority of our games.
Excellent analysis, now stay in the newbies, ta. If anything this thread is full of shite and double measures. Few people come up with some defense because he's way more criticised than he should be, that only make sense to stand by your player who is key in your midfield and we don't have anyone better now in his position, one off game won't change that he's been very solid and key player for us this season again. But whatever, it's sheer waste of time posting here.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Hes played about 20 more games than Pogba this season. About 10 more than McT. He’s surely going to have leggy games if he runs the most and we don’t ever rotate him. The only problem is there is nobody to rotate with. Your average fan thinks Matic or McT can just slot in but the drop off in any urgency in our play is real. We totally lack any gears or tempo when we take him out.
One think I actually think is that he may be the player who's suited to play every game and being rested doesn't help him that much but being at the end of a long season with his tireless playstyle will show, that's for sure. Just hope we invest in a similar physically tireless and dynamic player to stand in for him or rotate or "upgrade" like most of the people here want to see to get that drive from our team when he's not available because otherwise it's a zombie tempo similar to Van Gaal years.

Ali Dia

One think I actually think is that he may be the player who's suited to play every game and being rested doesn't help him that much but being at the end of a long season with his tireless playstyle will show, that's for sure. Just hope we invest in a similar physically tireless and dynamic player to stand in for him or rotate or "upgrade" like most of the people here want to see to get that drive from our team when he's not available because otherwise it's a zombie tempo similar to Van Gaal years.

I’d love to see Camavinga brought in. He will be able to do both sides of the game to a high standard in the coming years. It also seems he’s available for around 40 million. I’d almost be happy to see Fred dropped now for a few games so our fans can actually see how slow and 1 dimensional we look without anyone setting the pace. First game against Milan. First game against Granada and the few league games he’s missed haven’t been so good for us but people are super slow to make the connection. Pogba can’t do it. Mct can’t be the guy because he doesn’t seem to have the passing range or bravery to take the ball in tight spaces and Matic is usually just hiding somewhere in the defence. There’s literally nobody else and we have pretty much played him into the ground this season because of that.

Zlatans Knee

Excellent analysis, now stay in the newbies, ta. If anything this thread is full of shite and double measures. Few people come up with some defense because he's way more criticised than he should be, that only make sense to stand by your player who is key in your midfield and we don't have anyone better now in his position, one off game won't change that he's been very solid and key player for us this season again. But whatever, it's sheer waste of time posting here.
When you have to lower somehow elevate yourself because you are a full member and not a newbie, the rest of your point deserves to be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.