Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Litch

Just to note, I thought Fred was good but not great today. Fantastic off the ball but only slightly above average on it.
This is it for me, Fred has a ceiling and there are others who have higher. Give me someone who gives me the top of his ceiling rather than below it. Fred's job is to stop us from losing, those who ceiling is higher is to win it. Currently that's Bruno only.....

Last edited:

Raven

This is it for me, Fred has a ceiling and there are others who have. Give me someone who gives me the top of his ceiling rather than below it. Fred's job is to stop us from losing, those who ceiling is higher is to win it. Currently that's Bruno only.....
It pretty telling that he actually made some of our best chances, with his shooting and passing. He gets underrated in his passing usually but you're right, he's there to break up play and put balls into our attacking players, which he did well again today, it's not his fault that they were all shit.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Sure thing, easily the best midfielder out there today and pretty much one man midfield. Couple of stray passes will obviously draw attention of some terrible posters here who think players need 100% passing completion. Just looking at his defensive statistics, he's got insane numbers today. He was all over the pitch and won so many balls and started our best chances, easily better even offensively than back to shite Bruno who's decision making and passing was just so bad Fred looked like Scholes.

Not really looking to talk about local hero McT who really shouldn't be playing for a team like Manutd. I ask again, why criticise Fred when he easily outplayed Kante who was just attrocious with the ball on the other hand and defensively our only player in midfield who win so many balls and provided cover we needed while providing few extra moments of quality going forward which is always an extra for a CM/DM and who was certainly class above in that regard compared to Bruno and Scott...

I mean I can get people are angry it ended dully 0:0 but it only shows lack of brain cells to criticise our one man midfield Fred today. Only shows lack of brain cells..
Every player bar DDG, James, Shaw, Lindelof and slab head were terrible.

I really like Fred but today he fecked up too many passes to not be criticized. Yes he wins tackles and interceps but at some point you need some quality and besides one nice pass he was absolute shit just like his partner.

Our set up doesn't help Fred and I actually see him as a fixture in our midfield but he was garbage today like Ole's setup and the majority of the team

eire-red

Lots of industry and work rate, but not enough quality on the ball for me.

For us to evolve further as a team, I think we need to ditch the McTominay and Fred partnership.

We need someone in there with an extra edge. Badly missed Pogba's ability on the ball today.

MadMike

Every player bar DDG, James, Shaw, Lindelof and slab head were terrible.

I really like Fred but today he fecked up too many passes to not be criticized. Yes he wins tackles and interceps but at some point you need some quality and besides one nice pass he was absolute shit just like his partner.

Our set up doesn't help Fred and I actually see him as a fixture in our midfield but he was garbage today like Ole's setup and the majority of the team
That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it, but I have the exact opposite view of his game today. And I know I’m not alone, because motd literally chose him to be the focus of their praise today with both pundits talking about his crisp forward passing.

From where I’m standing it was clear as day that the passing of the other 2 midfielders was the problem today. Not Fred’s.

lex talionis

Fred’s industry is quality, but his quality is lacking. Strange that he’s on the Brazil NT.

Teja

I wonder what people who are critical of Fred made of Kante's offensive display today.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Struggling to see it with him. He's a runner but just lacking so much in quality, the typical midfielder you see from mid-table teams that look okay from a far but when they are playing for you the quality gap is noticable.

simplyared

Never been a fan but I'm growing to actually like him. I'm more at ease now than I was before with his name on the teamsheet. Brings a lot more to the table now than he did before. He's adapted himself more to the PL, he's improved and that together with his comittment and attitude has changed my evaluation of the player.

Raven

Never been a fan but I'm growing to actually like him. I'm more at ease now than I was before with his name on the teamsheet. Brings a lot more to the table now than he did before. He's adapted himself more to the PL, he's improved and that together with his comittment and attitude has changed my evaluation of the player.
I'd say he's been playing at this level for probably 18 months or so but I'm glad he's changing opinions.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We need more quality on the ball from him else he needs to be.a squad option and not a starter

thepolice123

I like his energy and passion but he must be one of the shakiest midfielders we have at the club. Every time a ball gets passed to him it seems almost like he is either not ready for it or off-balanced.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I wonder what people who are critical of Fred made of Kante's offensive display today.
Kante is much better defensively than Fred is. Fred is more rounded. But I'd rather have someone who is excellent at 1 side of the game and average at another, than someone who is average to a bit above average in most things. Basically if we had Kante instead of Fred, playing Pogba behind Bruno would never be an issue due to Kante's defensive ability. But with Fred, he's not enough defensively. There's no midfielder out there who could provide us with both the defensive ability and the creative ability that can adequately partner Fred for it to be a good partnership. Fred will always look like he should be replaced due to him being only decent at best with his passing/touch/vision, and only decent at best defensively at holding the midfield. His main quality is his pressing.

Litch

Never understood this quality on the ball comment. His pass completion is around mid to 80 to 90% and he plays a lot through the lines too. His problem is he can try and force the pass sometimes but generally he does what he says on the tin. We have become that blinkered that we need a CDM, we have created an unrealistic expectation that someone's gonna come in and be prime Kante and Pogs combined. On that note, wasnt Pogs suppose to offer that creative spark from midfield? Still waiting for it consistently......

Litch

Kante is much better defensively than Fred is. Fred is more rounded. But I'd rather have someone who is excellent at 1 side of the game and average at another, than someone who is average to a bit above average in most things. Basically if we had Kante instead of Fred, playing Pogba behind Bruno would never be an issue due to Kante's defensive ability. But with Fred, he's not enough defensively. There's no midfielder out there who could provide us with both the defensive ability and the creative ability that can adequately partner Fred for it to be a good partnership. Fred will always look like he should be replaced due to him being only decent at best with his passing/touch/vision, and only decent at best defensively at holding the midfield. His main quality is his pressing.
Not sure that we can look at one player in isolation tbh in a team game that's so reliant on others to contribute. Fred is not the answer and there is better out there, but he's not solely the problem either. Seen Harry come in, now he's not the answer either. We'll probably see Pogs and Martial leave this summer, and they weren't the answer. Signing players aren't the answer if the way we play, no clear system or pattern of play isn't in place either. We are gonna have the same discussion about whoever comes in next.

bosnian_red

Not sure that we can look at one player in isolation tbh in a team game that's so reliant on others to contribute. Fred is not the answer and there is better out there, but he's not solely the problem either. Seen Harry come in, now he's not the answer either. We'll probably see Pogs and Martial leave this summer, and they weren't the answer. Signing players aren't the answer if the way we play, no clear system or pattern of play isn't in place either. We are gonna have the same discussion about whoever comes in next.
Our "system" or pattern of play is fine. No, it's not on par with Klopp or Pep. It is what it is. They are the 2 best coaches in the world, having them is a big boost. Since we don't have them, every manager has their own pros and cons. Just because someone like Nagelsmann is a good coach doesn't mean he'd be a top manager at United (though with him specifically I do think he can be a top manager at a top club). Some are too obsessed with their purist systems and never get past the final hurdle because of it. With Ole as our manager, we have more ownice on individual moments to be decisive. Which is fine. But regardless of manager, a midfield of Fred and McTominay won't provide enough attacking ball progression, passing range or creativity. Pogba can. But then Pogba leaves the midfield unbalanced with what we have since neither Fred or McTominay are good enough defensively on their own. So what they are, are 2 solid box to box players without excelling at anything in particular. They both need the other to be better both on the ball and defensively... so with that... what's the point? Pogba needs his partner to be good enough defensively. On the ball, creatively, we're fine if we use Pogba and Bruno in a midfield 3. So answer is get a quality defensive mid.

Litch

Our "system" or pattern of play is fine. No, it's not on par with Klopp or Pep. It is what it is. They are the 2 best coaches in the world, having them is a big boost. Since we don't have them, every manager has their own pros and cons. Just because someone like Nagelsmann is a good coach doesn't mean he'd be a top manager at United (though with him specifically I do think he can be a top manager at a top club). Some are too obsessed with their purist systems and never get past the final hurdle because of it. With Ole as our manager, we have more ownice on individual moments to be decisive. Which is fine. But regardless of manager, a midfield of Fred and McTominay won't provide enough attacking ball progression, passing range or creativity. Pogba can. But then Pogba leaves the midfield unbalanced with what we have since neither Fred or McTominay are good enough defensively on their own. So what they are, are 2 solid box to box players without excelling at anything in particular. They both need the other to be better both on the ball and defensively... so with that... what's the point? Pogba needs his partner to be good enough defensively. On the ball, creatively, we're fine if we use Pogba and Bruno in a midfield 3. So answer is get a quality defensive mid.
No issue with Ole but my argument is we should have best manager but that's another argument. I like Pogs but how long have we been having this argument? Bruno delivers world class performances despite playing with these players yet Pogs has struggled since he's been here. I'm not saying that they are the answer but last season, they significantly contributed to the success and pretty much played in most of the winning games against the top clubs without Pogs. The difference is we had strikers that were scoring goals with the same creativity from Midfield. If Greenwood and Martial had 20 PL goals between them, how much closer to City would we be.

Scott and Fred's job is stop help stop the opposition scoring, didn't we have one of the best defensive records last season, the problem is our lack of goals at the other end. City and Liverpool games are often over by half time....

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
I don’t get the downer that so many people have on Fred.
He does a good job at creating opportunities by shear determination and endeavour. He breaks up opposition attacks and works the ball upfield in a not to fancy but generally effective fashion.
He works hard and never goes missing. Maybe he misplaces the odd pass and a few too many pot shots from range (which must be wanted by Ole or he’d get told not to do it).
I think he works well with McT and that the pair of them will improve greatly as a unit if they get played together more than once or twice a season.
All I hear is Pogba this and Pogba that but if I were shouting for United then I’d rather have a fully functional, hard working midfielder like Fred in my team than a ‘superstar’ who can have the very occasional moments of brilliance but who more often slows play down and loses the ball constantly.

Ok so he doesn’t have a PR team putting him about on social media but he’s a good professional and a real grafter. Every side needs need a core of grafters they can rely on, grafters like him.

bosnian_red

No issue with Ole but my argument is we should have best manager but that's another argument. I like Pogs but how long have we been having this argument? Bruno delivers world class performances despite playing with these players yet Pogs has struggled since he's been here. I'm not saying that they are the answer but last season, they significantly contributed to the success and pretty much played in most of the winning games against the top clubs without Pogs. The difference is we had strikers that were scoring goals with the same creativity from Midfield. If Greenwood and Martial had 20 PL goals between them, how much closer to City would we be.

Scott and Fred's job is stop help stop the opposition scoring, didn't we have one of the best defensive records last season, the problem is our lack of goals at the other end. City and Liverpool games are often over by half time....
We always swerve one way or the other too much though. One year we have a good defensive record but not enough goals. Next year a solid goal record but too many conceded. It's a lack of balance. And yes, Pogba isn't Bruno, but he's a quality player who would unlock a lot for us if we got the best out of him. It doesn't need to be Pogba, but whoever it is, our deeper midfield pair needs both better creativity/ball progression, as well as better defensive positioning and holding ability. Fred and McTominay are decent all rounders. They should be squad players. They aren't good enough to be starters as we significantly lack in every important aspect of midfielding when they are on the pitch together. You can't have your 2 center mids only job to he defensive break up play players.

And again... we did well last season. This season we have also done well. We need to do more though. What we have isn't enough to raise expectations to actually win the big trophies. To do that, we can't have no right winger, we can't have our 2 midfielders lack both defensive and on the ball ability, and we can't have our midfielders cover for our center backs every second. To win the big trophies, you need a complete team. You need creativity and a threat on both sides of the pitch, and quality through the middle to supply the creativity and hold the midfield as midfielders should, without over compensating for someone else not being good enough.

The midfielders should compliment each other as a group. The striker and wingers should compliment each other as a group. The fullbacks should compliment both the center backs and the wingers. The centerbacks should compliment each other. If we go off of this logic, we have Bruno, Pogba and then no defensive mid. Throw a quality DM there and that's sorted. We have Rashford, Cavani/Greenwood and no right winger. 2 scorers, low creativity. Get a creative right winger like Sancho and thats sorted. At full back we have a quality all rounder in Shaw who can attack and defend well to suit both Rashford as a scorer and the centerbacks with the defensive ability. At right back we have a fullback with average at best attacking ability but solid defensive ability. So to balance, again, a creative right winger works there, so Sancho suits both the front 3 and the fullback-winger pairing. So the last one is the centerbacks. To partner Maguire, we all know we need pace, power and aggression. Lindelof provides none of those 3. Bailly provides them to an extent, but is always injured and his general defensive ability is suspect.

It doesn't matter who our coach is, these issues will come up. If we sort out the massive personnel issues and Ole isn't good enough, then of course replace him. But what use is it replacing him when in his 2.5 seasons here, he first almost salvaged a lost season and almost got top 4, then finished 3rd, and now is in 2nd, while making long cup runs in every year. Yes we need to win some trophies but we are seeing steady progression in comparison to the opposition teams, and nobody is under any illusions to assume that simply putting a manager like Klopp or Pep in charge of United without sorting out weak positions would get us the title.

Teja

Yup, think that's fair, but don't really agree 100%.

Couple of thoughts:

I don't think a proper DM would make Ole play 4-3-3 with both Pogba and Bruno pushing forward (like City w/ KdB + B. Silva for example). I think we're set on the double pivot w/ 4-2-3-1 (and Pogba w/ defensive duties at CM) for now. Someone like Kante would obviously be perfect even in our current system, but he's pretty unique and I doubt we'll find anyone like him.

In terms of just the sheer volume of pressures applied, interceptions, tackles etc. Fred is neck and neck with Kante, however (I think this is pretty obvious if you watch both for five mins) Fred gets bypassed a lot more often than Kante does. I don't think this is a huge deal - he does win the ball back high up the pitch a lot and someone physical dribbling past him once or twice game is fine esp if you have a more physical midfield partner like McT next to him. I present all our 0-0s against big sides as evidence that our midfield is not being overrun. Think he also had good games against Traore etc. a few times as well.

Agree that Fred's passing / vision / ball carrying ability is decent at best. I don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be in this thread, but clearly not a world beater. Having Pogba alongside / instead of Fred in the side gives us that additional creativity from deep, so Fred's deficiencies aren't a huge deal I think if Pogba is fit.
Overall (I suspect you'll disagree) I won't say he's the first name on the teamsheet but I still like him and don't think he'll need immediate replacement.

bosnian_red

Yup, think that's fair, but don't really agree 100%.

Couple of thoughts:

I don't think a proper DM would make Ole play 4-3-3 with both Pogba and Bruno pushing forward (like City w/ KdB + B. Silva for example). I think we're set on the double pivot w/ 4-2-3-1 (and Pogba w/ defensive duties at CM) for now. Someone like Kante would obviously be perfect even in our current system, but he's pretty unique and I doubt we'll find anyone like him.

In terms of just the sheer volume of pressures applied, interceptions, tackles etc. Fred is neck and neck with Kante, however (I think this is pretty obvious if you watch both for five mins) Fred gets bypassed a lot more often than Kante does. I don't think this is a huge deal - he does win the ball back high up the pitch a lot and someone physical dribbling past him once or twice game is fine esp if you have a more physical midfield partner like McT next to him. I present all our 0-0s against big sides as evidence that our midfield is not being overrun. Think he also had good games against Traore etc. a few times as well.

Agree that Fred's passing / vision / ball carrying ability is decent at best. I don't think he's as bad as people make him out to be in this thread, but clearly not a world beater. Having Pogba alongside / instead of Fred in the side gives us that additional creativity from deep, so Fred's deficiencies aren't a huge deal I think if Pogba is fit.
Overall (I suspect you'll disagree) I won't say he's the first name on the teamsheet but I still like him and don't think he'll need immediate replacement.
I do like Fred, don't get me wrong! I see him and McTominay as starters next season with Pogba leaving and the midfield being sorted out in 2022. In fact if I could pick I'd prioritize Sancho and a CB more than anything. Eventually both him and McTominay will need replacing in the starting 11 though, as neither provide enough defensive solidity individually and as a pair don't provide enough on the ball ability and creativity as a pair. Fred is a good short passer but his long passing is non existent, and as his touch is a bit sloppy, it becomes an issue because we can't open up the pitch with our midfielders, we can't spread the ball to the wings effectively, and we're susceptible to losing the ball under a press. Pogba next to Fred would leave us light defensively, so just replacing Fred with a true DM like Kante or Ndidi would give us enough in there for Pogba being part of the 2 to work well. Think back to Scholes and Carrick. They don't have to be that level, but it was a well balanced midfield where there was enough security and positioning in midfield where we rarely felt unbalanced there, and of course both had incredible passing ranges and vision to push the ball up to the attackers quickly and effectively. Hard to get a quality holding mid with the passing range and vision, so realistically a top defensive mid with a quality all round central midfielder who has that vision/ability would work (Pogba if he stayed fit).

Litch

We always swerve one way or the other too much though. One year we have a good defensive record but not enough goals. Next year a solid goal record but too many conceded. It's a lack of balance. And yes, Pogba isn't Bruno, but he's a quality player who would unlock a lot for us if we got the best out of him. It doesn't need to be Pogba, but whoever it is, our deeper midfield pair needs both better creativity/ball progression, as well as better defensive positioning and holding ability. Fred and McTominay are decent all rounders. They should be squad players. They aren't good enough to be starters as we significantly lack in every important aspect of midfielding when they are on the pitch together. You can't have your 2 center mids only job to he defensive break up play players.

And again... we did well last season. This season we have also done well. We need to do more though. What we have isn't enough to raise expectations to actually win the big trophies. To do that, we can't have no right winger, we can't have our 2 midfielders lack both defensive and on the ball ability, and we can't have our midfielders cover for our center backs every second. To win the big trophies, you need a complete team. You need creativity and a threat on both sides of the pitch, and quality through the middle to supply the creativity and hold the midfield as midfielders should, without over compensating for someone else not being good enough.

The midfielders should compliment each other as a group. The striker and wingers should compliment each other as a group. The fullbacks should compliment both the center backs and the wingers. The centerbacks should compliment each other. If we go off of this logic, we have Bruno, Pogba and then no defensive mid. Throw a quality DM there and that's sorted. We have Rashford, Cavani/Greenwood and no right winger. 2 scorers, low creativity. Get a creative right winger like Sancho and thats sorted. At full back we have a quality all rounder in Shaw who can attack and defend well to suit both Rashford as a scorer and the centerbacks with the defensive ability. At right back we have a fullback with average at best attacking ability but solid defensive ability. So to balance, again, a creative right winger works there, so Sancho suits both the front 3 and the fullback-winger pairing. So the last one is the centerbacks. To partner Maguire, we all know we need pace, power and aggression. Lindelof provides none of those 3. Bailly provides them to an extent, but is always injured and his general defensive ability is suspect.

It doesn't matter who our coach is, these issues will come up. If we sort out the massive personnel issues and Ole isn't good enough, then of course replace him. But what use is it replacing him when in his 2.5 seasons here, he first almost salvaged a lost season and almost got top 4, then finished 3rd, and now is in 2nd, while making long cup runs in every year. Yes we need to win some trophies but we are seeing steady progression in comparison to the opposition teams, and nobody is under any illusions to assume that simply putting a manager like Klopp or Pep in charge of United without sorting out weak positions would get us the title.
That's pretty comprehensive. I get it but when I look at that Liverpool side midfield, if any came up for sale pretty much most of the big teams wouldn't be interested yet this is the engine room of two CL finals and PL winners. All good players but World class? Not saying Fred and or Scott is the answer but for some fans the grass is always greener and players from teams whose expectations are not to go down or a run of games in the cup is a good season. So desperate to sign a CB, we pay 80m when our ex player to looks better in a Leicester shirt than he does in a Utd one. The scales are not even and Pogs who should on paper be the answer, has proven that he is not the difference and will probably leave in the summer.

People forget some of our biggest performances league and Europe have been with Scott and especially Fred in midfield. Sadly we can't say the same about Pogs and his ceiling is higher and he's been here longer.....Be careful what you wish for....

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Kante is much better defensively than Fred is. Fred is more rounded. But I'd rather have someone who is excellent at 1 side of the game and average at another, than someone who is average to a bit above average in most things. Basically if we had Kante instead of Fred, playing Pogba behind Bruno would never be an issue due to Kante's defensive ability.
Debatable. France have Kante and Pogba, play international games which are normally slower tempo and weaker opposition than you face in the PL, and they still generally play a hard-working central midfielder on the wing to compensate.

Kante is at his best when his partner is also solid defensively. Drinkwater at Leicester, Matic at Chelsea...it allows Kante to run all over the field hunting the ball and breaking up play. Basically the same as Fred, although obviously at his best he was a bit better at it. But like Fred, if his midfield partner doesn't do much defensively it leaves a fair bit of space for the opposition to run through.

Personally I don't think Pogba will ever be suitable to play as one of the two deeper midfielders no matter who his partner is. It's something he can do at times, but not every game consistently. The defensive side of the game just doesn't come naturally to him and it's something that needs to be done in that position.

Foxbatt

The problem with Fred is when we have the ball. He does not know what to do. Time and again you can see that when our team has the ball, he is either blocked or just do not know what to do. When we do not have the ball, then we is good in hunting down but as Bosianred says, that simply is not good enough at this level. Scholes etc talk about our defence and that does not trust our CBs and that is why he plays Fred and McTominay. I do not agree with that. Ole would play a lone DM if he can get a DM who is good enough. To me if our others players are good enough this defence is good enough. They do not seem to not good enough because of DeGea and the midfield. Why we have to get Shaw and AWB to attack so much is also because our midfield is weak. None of Fred or McTominay can make those passes to create chances. Plus non of our CFs can hold up the ball.

bosnian_red

That's pretty comprehensive. I get it but when I look at that Liverpool side midfield, if any came up for sale pretty much most of the big teams wouldn't be interested yet this is the engine room of two CL finals and PL winners. All good players but World class? Not saying Fred and or Scott is the answer but for some fans the grass is always greener and players from teams whose expectations are not to go down or a run of games in the cup is a good season. So desperate to sign a CB, we pay 80m when our ex player to looks better in a Leicester shirt than he does in a Utd one. The scales are not even and Pogs who should on paper be the answer, has proven that he is not the difference and will probably leave in the summer.

People forget some of our biggest performances league and Europe have been with Scott and especially Fred in midfield. Sadly we can't say the same about Pogs and his ceiling is higher and he's been here longer.....Be careful what you wish for....
Liverpools a more unique situation where they had their attacking width and creativity come from their wing backs for a couple of years. Their level has dropped down and they're struggling now, with their lack of creativity in midfield coming to the fore. Can't rely on having a player like TAA at right back, and I'm more judging it off of what we have that I feel is good enough already. I have no issues with Wan Bissaka and Shaw, or Rashford and Bruno, and Maguire I feel is a top player too. So we get players to compliment them as a group overall. Makes more sense to get players that suit them, rather than replace others so we can go with McTominay and Fred in the middle who are a lower level IMO.

In terms of big games... i always think they're exceptions that are hard to take much from. Look at United last season vs this one. It's basically all 0-0 this season. Last season we were great in them. It's fine margins like McTominay playing the right pass or the ref calling a blatant pen and us being able to play on the counter all game. I'm more concerned about getting us a system and balance of players that can be the starting 11, no matter the opponent pretty much. A balanced midfield and team in general that can dominate and create in easier games, while still be competitive and balanced in big ones. I like both Scott and Fred, but they have to be long term squad players. Pogba has a high ceiling, but he can't do it without the base. Pogba is easily at his best next to a quality defensive mid. He performs like it when our defensive mid tends to have really good defensive games (a fresh Matic for a period last season or when he first joined, Herrera in Pogbas first year). It's not about maximizing pogba, but our potential as a team. And we for sure would reach a much higher level having Pogba behind Bruno with someone who is a defensive beast like Ndidi holding the midfield. We would be no worse off defensively but far better on the ball and going forward.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was a one man midfield for most of the game yesterday. I think he’s sadly a few trophies apart from being celebrated the same way as Kanté in this country for me. Fred is the same level of player for me, if not better. His passing wasn’t amazing yesterday, although it was still the best in our midfield. He is a ball-winning machine too.

Foxbatt

He was a one man midfield for most of the game yesterday. I think he’s sadly a few trophies apart from being celebrated the same way as Kanté in this country for me. Fred is the same level of player for me, if not better. His passing wasn’t amazing yesterday, although it was still the best in our midfield. He is a ball-winning machine too.
Kante has been and is a better player than Fred. He is a very good when we do not have the ball. His problem is what to do when we have the ball. His movement off the ball is not good enough.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Kante has been and is a better player than Fred. He is a very good when we do not have the ball. His problem is what to do when we have the ball. His movement off the ball is not good enough.
Kante isn’t better on the ball to me. He’s no better than ‘alright’ on the ball, and Fred is certainly no worse than alright on it. Fred can skip past a man and has good feet too. Neither score goals. Both win the ball at a freakishly high rate. Only one has done it in title winning sides though, which is what separates them as far as the narrative os concerned I feel.

AgentSmith

That’s a stretch at the moment.

Fred compared to Kante’s peak (season with Leicester followed by the first season at Chelsea) isn’t a comparison worth debating.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That’s a stretch at the moment.

Fred compared to Kante’s peak (season with Leicester followed by the first season at Chelsea) isn’t a comparison worth debating.
I’m loathe to use stats typically, but I suspect they were similar. Fred’s team has typically not been praised for their seasons, so it’s hard for individuals to be celebrated much. Kanté has considerable strengths, but he isn’t great at everything. I don’t think he’s better at what he’s good at than Fred is at the same thing. Man for man, I don’t think Kanté is better personally. They are practically the same player, but with very different CVs which is the main differentiation I think. As an individual, and without the context of their teams and achievements, Kanté is no better. Fred has had huge games against top opposition, and if in the context of a title winning side the story would be different.

AgentSmith

I’m loathe to use stats typically, but I suspect they were similar. Fred’s team has typically not been praised for their seasons, so it’s hard for individuals to be celebrated much. Kanté has considerable strengths, but he isn’t great at everything. I don’t think he’s better at what he’s good at than Fred is at the same thing. Man for man, I don’t think Kanté is better personally. They are practically the same player, but with very different CVs which is the main differentiation I think. As an individual, and without the context of their teams and achievements, Kanté is no better. Fred has had huge games against top opposition, and if in the context of a title winning side the story would be different.
So if we take Kante’s 16/17 season he had the following stats:

Matches - 35
Goals - 1
Assists - 1
Passes - 1899 (89% completion)
Passes in opposition half per game - 32 (87% completion)
Key Passes - 0.7
Tackles - 110
Interceptions per game - 2.3
Dribbled past per game - 1.3
Clearances per game - 1.2
Team of the week - 2

Compared to Fred’s 19/20 season:

Matches - 29
Goals - 0
Assists - 0
Passes total - 1704 (87% completion)
Passes in opposition half per game - 29.2 (82% completion)
Key Passes - 1.3
Tackles - 61
Interceptions per game - 1.3
Dribbled past per game - 2.6
Clearances per game - 0.9
Team of the week - 0

Not particularly close with some pretty glaring contrasts in certain areas. So statistically Fred doesn’t really get near to peak-Kante.

In terms of achievement Fred doesn't get close to him either. Your notion that you should disregard a player’s achievements (Kante - PFA Player of the Year/Football Writer's Player of the Year and back-to-back Premier League winner who went on to win a World Cup a year later) when analysing them just seems like an odd approach. It might make sense if a player ends up with a medal that they did little to contribute to but Kante won the PFA Player of the Year the season his team won the league; there's no higher compliment than being recognised by your fellow pros as the best player they played against that season. Kante was an integral part of each of these successful teams (Leicester, Chelsea and France) and the transformative effect he had is evident in terms of respective league positions:

Leicester
2015/16 - 1st
2016/17 - 12th

Chelsea
2015/16 - 10th
2016/17 - 1st

Obviously there's more to those two transitions in fortunes than Kante alone but he was clearly a significant part. You could make the argument that Fred is playing a worse team than Kante was for Chelsea or France but Kante's performances with Leicester would put that to bed.

Anyways, I think that sheds some light on the comparison between the two at their respective bests. I actually really like Fred and think he's a great asset for us but the idea that he's close to the level Kante reached is wrong in my opinion.

The stats were taken from here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39686272 - and here - https://www.sofascore.com/player/fred/243623

Last edited:

Matt851

Exactly, what use is it having someone like fred popping up into good attacking positions when he doesn't have the quality to score or assist. Chelsea were very happy to see him shooting from 30 yards

Comparing Fred's ability to peak Kante is so moronic it must be a wind up

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Debatable. France have Kante and Pogba, play international games which are normally slower tempo and weaker opposition than you face in the PL, and they still generally play a hard-working central midfielder on the wing to compensate.

Kante is at his best when his partner is also solid defensively. Drinkwater at Leicester, Matic at Chelsea...it allows Kante to run all over the field hunting the ball and breaking up play. Basically the same as Fred, although obviously at his best he was a bit better at it. But like Fred, if his midfield partner doesn't do much defensively it leaves a fair bit of space for the opposition to run through.

Personally I don't think Pogba will ever be suitable to play as one of the two deeper midfielders no matter who his partner is. It's something he can do at times, but not every game consistently. The defensive side of the game just doesn't come naturally to him and it's something that needs to be done in that position.
This is single most important reason why Pogba looks better in international games. I've seen him play alongside Tolisso and Rabiot and guess what, Pogba looked exactly as good as when paired with Kante. Plus, whenever I see Paul play for France he doesn't look anything special - good midfielder, but it's not really that difficult to look good in that France team who looks head and shoulders above 90% of opponents they face.

Pogba loses a big part of his best attributes when playing in a fast league like EPL. I'm sure he'll do very well in Italy or France, and that's why I hope we can get decent money for him. But his impact on this team is very overrated.

He plays in conservative two man midfield, what do you expect him to do off the ball?

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Kante was shocking again, the amount of times he lost the ball, he would be crucified on Redcafe, he literally brings nothing going forward, Fred is much crispier passer with better vision while doing the defensive work on his own for us, very similar numbers with Kante. Indefinitely better than McT both defensively and last game even going forward. Stats don´t tell the whole story but if you can´t get into the game and have half the passes because you are immobile and just can´t take responsibility like McT, some fans might not see many mistakes because you are a simple player, Fred on the other hand was all over the pitch trying to make things happen. Hell he was even better than Fernandes who showed nothing but losing the ball yet Fred is criticised because he misplaced few passes trying to create on behalf ofother players who are in the squad for that..

The amount of false praise he´s getting - "I like fred but he´s..." can tell you about the level of knowledge of the fans on football forums. He´s among the best CDM/CM hybrid in the league right now without a doubt, easily can see why Pep wanted him. Obviously because of his price tag, nationality and perhaps skin colour he won´t be praised as someone as MCTominay who´s a "proper lad who works hard from Scotland". You have to always do a bit better because you are judged even before you kick the ball...

People want to spend money on Rice yet Fred is a level above him too. Actually can see a lot of paralels between Fred and Herrera since they are both incredibly hardworking players who never let down in big games and with best defensive stats in the league but people will judge them by something stupid like the number of goals or times missed the target instead of outstanding defensive work and added that bit of flair and consistency which is missing from our teams with Pogba and Fernandes, who are both either completely wasteful or sometimes takign too much time to create but that´s THEIR fecking role.

People simply don´t understand the way football with 11 players on the pitch is played with everyone having a different role. It´s like saying "Shaw doesn´t score enough goals..." yeah because he´s a fecking defender foremost, morons.

It´s a waste of time to come here and repeat that. At least there are few like you who I feel understand the essential point.

Jinn

When he's good, he's good. Today was probably he's worst performance this season for me. Couldn't pass the ball. We need an upgrade,.

Matt851

Kante was shocking again, the amount of times he lost the ball, he would be crucified on Redcafe, he literally brings nothing going forward, Fred is much crispier passer with better vision while doing the defensive work on his own for us, very similar numbers with Kante. Indefinitely better than McT both defensively and last game even going forward. Stats don´t tell the whole story but if you can´t get into the game and have half the passes because you are immobile and just can´t take responsibility like McT, some fans might not see many mistakes because you are a simple player, Fred on the other hand was all over the pitch trying to make things happen. Hell he was even better than Fernandes who showed nothing but losing the ball yet Fred is criticised because he misplaced few passes trying to create on behalf ofother players who are in the squad for that..

The amount of false praise he´s getting - "I like fred but he´s..." can tell you about the level of knowledge of the fans on football forums. He´s among the best CDM/CM hybrid in the league right now without a doubt, easily can see why Pep wanted him. Obviously because of his price tag, nationality and perhaps skin colour he won´t be praised as someone as MCTominay who´s a "proper lad who works hard from Scotland". You have to always do a bit better because you are judged even before you kick the ball...

People want to spend money on Rice yet Fred is a level above him too. Actually can see a lot of paralels between Fred and Herrera since they are both incredibly hardworking players who never let down in big games and with best defensive stats in the league but people will judge them by something stupid like the number of goals or times missed the target instead of outstanding defensive work and added that bit of flair and consistency which is missing from our teams with Pogba and Fernandes, who are both either completely wasteful or sometimes takign too much time to create but that´s THEIR fecking role.

People simply don´t understand the way football with 11 players on the pitch is played with everyone having a different role. It´s like saying "Shaw doesn´t score enough goals..." yeah because he´s a fecking defender foremost, morons.

It´s a waste of time to come here and repeat that. At least there are few like you who I feel understand the essential point.
This aged well

Status
Not open for further replies.