5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ants7

Has a lot of energy, nice smile and teeth but his passing is abysmal. Nice assist, yes but he also gave a lot of hospital passes. On this form, not good enough.

Marwood

He’s class. You guys don’t deserve him. Too many of this fan base would rather watch more fashionable players walking around playing selfishly and doing not a lot. Fred gets stuck in and sometimes it doesn’t come off. Big deal
He's not class. He gets around the pitch well, he can carry the ball well for a midfielder, great attitude.

BUT.....his short passing and decision making will always be a problem.

Very good squad player to have though.

OmarUnited4ever

There are 2 players in Fred, one who can pass and look after the ball, and another who is sloppy, whenever Fred gets the ball, you wouldn't know which Fred will emerge.

Zlatans Knee

My main issue with him is that he loses out on the majority of challenges. Opposition players know that they can bully him off the ball and he does not have the awareness to be able to do anything about it once put under pressure. Other CMs of similar stature, think Xavi or Paul Scholes had amazing peripheral vision and skill to be able to avoid most situations whereby they would be bullied off the ball. If he doesn't have the stature or the skill to avoid the situation then he is not good enough for us in that position.

mctrials23

The best midfielders always look like they have more space than they do because their first touch is immaculate and their awareness of their teammates and opposition players is brilliant. Fred has neither of these skills so against any sort of press he falls apart. Teams target him for this reason. I like the guy but hes not good enough in the PL where you don't have a lot of time. I don't care that he gets into the Brazil national team because thats a different style and pace of football.

Gordon Godot

The best midfielders always look like they have more space than they do because their first touch is immaculate and their awareness of their teammates and opposition players is brilliant. Fred has neither of these skills so against any sort of press he falls apart. Teams target him for this reason. I like the guy but hes not good enough in the PL where you don't have a lot of time. I don't care that he gets into the Brazil national team because thats a different style and pace of football.
Tend to agree that people often mistake busyness and runnign a lot for impact on the pitch or being good. We saw McT in second half use his strength to win the ball and then get past players. Fred generally can do neither, indeed as others note he is often targeted (as some opp players publicly called out in past as part of their game plan) both for his loose touch and lack of physicality which makes him very suscepitable to strong press. He should be a squad player and no way a starter. His passing is really poor, and the odd good pass or assist does not cover that. If we operate a high press we cannot afford to then easily give the ball away, it leaves us very exposed

Which takes on to why the board will not back Ralf and buy a DM? Nor get the likes of Lingard out of the club asap to free up cash to do so? Answer, its still the idiot Ed making teh decisions.

Raven

He was good yesterday, in the second half he was very good. He can be sloppy, sometimes very sloppy but I think the positives he brings FAR outweigh the negatives.

Foxbatt

He wasn't good. Too many loose passes. Too many times he lost possession in dangerous spaces. He has had good games but yesterday wasn't one.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Mixed bag. Poor on the ball at times and quite weak, but then a good pass for Elanaga goal and was always busy. Still think we need an upgrade

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If Pogba played the same kind of game yesterday : definitely lost the ball a bit too often in the first half but had a lovely assist that opened up the game for us half of this forum would be creaming themselves over him and saying we need the creativity, nobody else can do it from midfield. give him 400k or whatever it takes to keep him and the other half would still be saying he doesn’t work hard enough. Don’t forget fred is also regularly our hardest working player and he’s on normal wages by this clubs standard. Cult hero.

Ixion

If Pogba played the same kind of game yesterday : definitely lost the ball a bit too often in the first half but had a lovely assist that opened up the game for us half of this forum would be creaming themselves over him and saying we need the creativity, nobody else can do it from midfield. give him 400k or whatever it takes to keep him and the other half would still be saying he doesn’t work hard enough. Don’t forget fred is also regularly our hardest working player and he’s on normal wages by this clubs standard. Cult hero.
If Pogba made that overhead kick clearance attempt the servers would meltdown from the abuse he would get

Kostov

Apart from the assist, everything he touched turned to shit. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give him 4, and that's down to that peach of a pass.

Dante

Average bang
He gets caught ahead of the play about 20 times per match. If he's not being drawn out of position, he's being brushed aside by a runner.

Defending as a team isn't really that hard. We see it all the time when small clubs put 10 men behind the ball and ask the opposition to try and break them down. Sometimes, all you need is a physical presence in the middle of the pitch to keep a clean sheet. For bigger sides, it's about finding the balance between sitting and advancing. But I think Fred's balance is skewed far too much towards running around like a headless chicken.

So although I appreciate that Fred's really good at chasing after players, his propensity to be bypassed easily makes it all a bit pointless. It's why a players like O'Shea or McTominay could make it at United as squad players. They don't really do anything amazing, but you can rely on them not to do anything stupid whilst their teammates do the rest.

In Ole's 4231 with defensive fullbacks and Fred sitting in the double pivot, I was all on board with him as our first choice. But in Rangnick's various systems, I think the midfield needs to be more positionally aware. I can see Matic becoming first choice except when he needs a rest.

Foxbatt

He gets caught ahead of the play about 20 times per match. If he's not being drawn out of position, he's being brushed aside by a runner.

Defending as a team isn't really that hard. We see it all the time when small clubs put 10 men behind the ball and ask the opposition to try and break them down. Sometimes, all you need is a physical presence in the middle of the pitch to keep a clean sheet. For bigger sides, it's about finding the balance between sitting and advancing. But I think Fred's balance is skewed far too much towards running around like a headless chicken.

So although I appreciate that Fred's really good at chasing after players, his propensity to be bypassed easily makes it all a bit pointless. It's why a players like O'Shea or McTominay could make it at United as squad players. They don't really do anything amazing, but you can rely on them not to do anything stupid whilst their teammates do the rest.

In Ole's 4231 with defensive fullbacks and Fred sitting in the double pivot, I was all on board with him as our first choice. But in Rangnick's various systems, I think the midfield needs to be more positionally aware. I can see Matic becoming first choice except when he needs a rest.
This is the problem. His positional play is terrible. He gets brushed outside too easy.

Litch

The games about opinions, I like Fred but as long as he wears a Utd shirt, fans will make reference to the things that are not what is he doing, but what they associate with what he does. I guess whilst all our opinions are valid, the various managers since he has been here play him consistently. I would like to think Managers want to keep their jobs and want to win games so the question is why play a footballer that ultimately is going to cost you it? If RR thought even bringing in a player on loan, would be better then why aren't we looking likely not to? It's not like we haven't bought players in on loan before.
If Fred is that bad, then surely it's easier to find someone to replace him in even Donny? It's not like RR hasn't dropped players already. Why would both completely different managers not pick him?

Fred is what he is, honest, hard working, gives 100%, rarely injured, battling player that sacrifices himself for the betterment of ours. Sometimes too honest, and whilst Scott hides and Bruno goes off playing like a false 9, he's covering areas that aren't his. He makes mistakes like most but his character always tries maybe too hard to resolve them. Think he can be quite a nervous player and can take him a while to settle. Showed this season that can be creative and given the opportunity around the box, demonstrated that whilst he's clearly not got the attributes to play as a 6, he will but the reason why he is here, is cause of his ability as an 8.

Maybe the thing that often goes amiss is generally, the bigger the game, the bigger his performance. His best games are always against the big teams in PL and CL. Not sure how you do that just running around a lot.....

Litch

So why does managers consistently play him? Have they got a burning desire to be sacked from their dream job?

Litch

Apart from the assist, everything he touched turned to shit. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give him 4, and that's down to that peach of a pass.
If he is so bad, what does RR see in him to play above say Donny or play Matic for 60 mins and bring Fred on?

Litch

Too many people watch players on the ball and not enough what happens off it. I love Bruno but in the Prem, you play a midfield 3 with Scott who can go missing and Bruno who plays like a false 9 at times, they is a lot of space to cover whoever is left. Some teams even tuck the fullback in to make a 4. The funny thing is Bruno plays that far in front, most people only talk about the midfield likes it's just Scott and Fred.

Lecland07

- 5 tackles (6 attempted) and 2 interceptions. (Most possession wins, joint with Dalot)
- 62 passes attempted (most in the team).
- 84% passing accuracy, only bettered by McTominay and Lindelof.
- 1 assist (probably should have been 2). Only bettered by Fernandes.
- 2 key passes, only bettered by Fernandes.

In the end, he ranked like this:

- 1st
- 1st
- 3rd
- 2nd
- 2nd

So, not only was he our second-most creative player, but he was also our joint best defender.

Kostov

If he is so bad, what does RR see in him to play above say Donny or play Matic for 60 mins and bring Fred on?
RR is as blind as a bat if he can't see how abysmal he was. I think he does see it though and if it's his decision he would want to replace him. I mean come on man, that was a wonderful pass for the goal, but he did so many criminal passes it was ridiculous. Simple switch to Dalot, he misplaces it by 5 meters. It was criminal imo.

Bocca9978

I rated him 4 last night. Great pass for the goal but that was it, other than running around. He isn’t as good as some hope.
Good to see him forward more but rather other players be there. Can’t see a place for him in any formation.

Ali Dia

- 5 tackles (6 attempted) and 2 interceptions. (Most possession wins, joint with Dalot)
- 62 passes attempted (most in the team).
- 84% passing accuracy, only bettered by McTominay and Lindelof.
- 1 assist (probably should have been 2). Only bettered by Fernandes.
- 2 key passes, only bettered by Fernandes.

In the end, he ranked like this:

- 1st
- 1st
- 3rd
- 2nd
- 2nd

So, not only was he our second-most creative player, but he was also our joint best defender.
I feel like I’m watching a different sport sometimes when you come on here and read what other people are saying . How can people so wildly underestimate a player that’s so important to us? He nearly got 2 assists ffs

Lost bear

He was good yesterday, in the second half he was very good. He can be sloppy, sometimes very sloppy but I think the positives he brings FAR outweigh the negatives.
Yes, I’d agree with this summary. Even yesterday, when he didn’t have one of his better games I guess, he still contributed importantly. He should have had two assists, the second being the one at the end where he put Bruno through and Bruno tried to overegg the pudding.

Lost bear

I feel like I’m watching a different sport sometimes when you come on here and read what other people are saying . How can people so wildly underestimate a player that’s so important to us? He nearly got 2 assists ffs
When people make their minds up on who to scapegoat they see what they expect to see, regardless of the empirical data.

L1nk

He played well, the problem is that when a player is playing well you kind of just go with it, however when a player makes mistakes it's much easier to recognise and jump on them, and he made plenty last night, so many loose passes that gave the ball away under no pressure. On the flip side he did some great things as well, as did McTominay. Reality is we definitely need an upgrade on both, but at the moment we have what we have. I'm not sure which one i'd replace if we brought in another midfielder

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was poor in the first half and was one of the reason why we conceded many chances. But he was excellent in the second half though. It was a master stroke from Ralf to play him advanced, almost the same position he was playing for Shakthar. If Bruno finishes that chance, he would be on 2 assists and that would make him 3 assists in 2 matches. I like his position now.

Ixion

Someone can be a good player, contribute goals or assists but also not be good enough. Fred is good enough to be a squad player, or a starter for a team looking to be top 8, he isn't going to be the engine for a team winning the league though.

Ali Dia

When people make their minds up on who to scapegoat they see what they expect to see, regardless of the empirical data.
This is why we signed him: because statistically he was one of the best high pressing box to box players on the market. He’s not a deep playmaker or the sole engine of the team, look at the size of him. The same posters would be going mental over him if he played for Liverpool and played in a 3 that were along the same wavelength. This was our attempt at recreating a hard working all purpose box to box 2 in midfield.

Witchking

At fault for the goal yesterday and misplaced some passes which could have hurt us. I like the guy but not sure that handling possession cheaply as a midfielder 3-4 times a games is worth it at a club like United.

OrcaFat

So why does managers consistently play him? Have they got a burning desire to be sacked from their dream job?
Good questions. In my opinion he is usually a better option than the alternatives and brings a little more than them. But this is really a comment on the terrible state of our midfield. I would keep him in the squad and he would get games but we need to recruit in CM and use Fred as back up / rotation.

bugmat

It was a sublime pass but apart from that didn't do much. I don't blame him for the goal but he gets by passed too easily and get brushed off easily too.
It's good that McTominay had a great game.
Should've had a second assist if Bruno was serious and it would've ben a 4-1 game.

Also exactly how are people blaming Fred for the goal (apart from just because)? There were plenty of errors before and after his attempted block including maguire marking no one, and another Utd player not successfully challenging for the initial flicked header on the corner.

bugmat

At fault for the goal yesterday and misplaced some passes which could have hurt us. I like the guy but not sure that handling possession cheaply as a midfielder 3-4 times a games is worth it at a club like United.
the entire defence was at fault not just Fred - the ball should've never reached pour 6 yard box - we got outjumped for the corner and once it fell in our box it was ping pong roulette. We didnt clear the first ball several times that game.

Lecland07

I think people hone in on his errors and seem to remember every single one. He was a bit sloppy at times with his passing, but he wasn't anywhere near the worst on the pitch.

In the end, I'm not sure we win that game without Fred. The first goal sort of came out of nowhere. We didn't really look like scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.