Fred | no longer Fred the Red but now a Turkish delight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

As I said earlier, a lot of people are blinded when it comes to Fred. It's like a ****.
Never lacked in effort, but in terms of his quality on the ball, positioning, awareness, reading of the game and all round general midfield. The guy is just nowhere near good enough, never has been, how he's lasted as long as he has is beyond belief.

Yet, people still want to see more of him. It really is one fecked up sadistic ****.

El Jefe

This is one player I've never understood how people thought he was good enough.

He must hold the record for holding his hands up and apologising to his teammates for dreadful bits of play. An incredibly erratic player and even worse a CM with a poor first touch.

I've genuinely never seen a player completely unmarked pass the ball out of play as often as Fred.

His energy and workrate is good and he certainly gave us his all unlike other players but selling him is 100% the right decision.

Onerealunited

With Lazio out his most likely destination seem to be Galatasaray, unless Fred don’t want to go there. In Turkish medias Galatasaray seem to be in intensive negotiations with Manchester United…

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This is totally right. The lack of understanding on here about how we need to keep some players for squad depth no matter how disappointing they might be as envisioned starters is maddening. It's like people want to sell all but the best 11 players we have for some bizarre reason. Fred is an excellent squad MF. period. I see absolutely no reason to sell him unless he is desperately pushing to get out...
Im not sure wanting him moved on/replaced by hopefully someone better constitutes a “lack of understanding” around how a squad works. Fred’s had ample opportunity here and he’s been disappointing, more often than not, IMO. Sure he has his uses when on form, but is it too much to hope for to try and get an upgrade?

We have a weird notion at United of holding on to players for too long, due to some sentimental reasons or hoping that they’d finally show some consistency and form.

Based Adnan

Juan Mata effect on full display here. Be a nice bloke and smile a lot and you'll get lots of leeway on years of underperformance. Better clubs than Fulham and Galatasaray would be in for him if he was as good as some of you think and even those two aren't interested at the 20m price.

The sooner we get midfielders that are comfortable on the ball the sooner we'll look like a side of capable of controlling games consistently.

croadyman

Juan Mata effect on full display here. Be a nice bloke and smile a lot and you'll get lots of leeway on years of underperformance. Better clubs than Fulham and Galatasaray would be in for him if he was as good as some of you think and even those two aren't interested at the 20m price.

The sooner we get midfielders that are comfortable on the ball the sooner we'll look like a side of capable of controlling games consistently.
We might be looking again in January

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Juan Mata and Fred were quite good, promising football players... before they joined United. :lol:

If circumstances force Fred to stay here for another season (and it can happen, too), I just want him to be used properly on the pitch.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I am a little surprised there aren't bigger clubs in for him tbh.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
For me, Fred has been played as a DM too many times, and, like McTominay, this is not his best position.
Probably not even a box to box midfielder, but by far his best position is as an AM, which, to my knowledge, he has rarely played for United.
Fred is certainly an enigma, some unbelievable moments of skill, passing, ball winning, and also unbelievable moments of stupidness.
He has had games where he's been outstanding for 90 minutes, although quite rare, but going forward, as with McTominay, we need upgrades, primarily players who don't give the ball away cheaply, are always available to receive the ball, and can create openings or opportunities for the team.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Juan Mata effect on full display here. Be a nice bloke and smile a lot and you'll get lots of leeway on years of underperformance.
Harsh on Juan this.
He always gave his all but was often played out of position by successive managers.
He was always shoved out to the right, but he was never a winger or wide forward - he should have been allowed to make the 10 position his own and played to his strengths. He certainly never lacked effort, or ability. If anything his desire and willingness to perform as a team player was detrimental to his own game.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
For such an average player Fred do have many admirers here.
It's because he was faster than Matić, more aggressive than Pogba and in the end, outlived Herrera who had his own issues.

When you don't have that many effervescent players in the squad, you admire what you have... and still despite his detriments, he was twice useful than Schweini and Schneiderlin.

The whole adventure with Fred in Man United started by club throwing 50 on him and not playing for literal months. From the beginning his situation was raising more questions than answers. It was then and before his former coach, Fonseca was banging like a mantra: Fred is better in higher areas of the pitch. Jose thought bit otherwise.

Now he's 30 and we need to rebuild squad, because Klopp right now is doing it twice, in last 5 years, and Arsenal is throwing transfer money left and right.

gajender

It's because he was faster than Matić, more aggressive than Pogba and in the end, outlived Herrera who had his own issues.

When you don't have that many effervescent players in the squad, you admire what you have... and still despite his detriments, he was twice useful than Schweini and Schneiderlin.

The whole adventure with Fred in Man United started by club throwing 50 on him and not playing for literal months. From the beginning his situation was raising more questions than answers. It was then and before his former coach, Fonseca was banging like a mantra: Fred is better in higher areas of the pitch. Jose thought bit otherwise.

Now he's 30 and we need to rebuild squad, because Klopp right now is doing it twice, in last 5 years, and Arsenal is throwing transfer money left and right.
Well that's a fair summary of Fred's time here .

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Well that's a fair summary of Fred's time here .
He's still here btw, and from the looks of it, we're probably not signing Caicedo or Lavia, while Amrabat is in 'preparing the usual' stage, which exactly means nothing to me.

If situation doesn't change to the end of next week, I'm assuming we're going into season with what we have, maybe with Hojlund joining just before the start of campaign.

The rest of the deals could get done or not, but when season starts, shape of the team must be clarified to the higher degree. Other deals will be treated more like bonuses then.

...and then there's a deadline day. :lol:

croadyman

He's still here btw, and from the looks of it, we're probably not signing Caicedo or Lavia, while Amrabat is in 'preparing the usual' stage, which exactly means nothing to me.

If situation doesn't change to the end of next week, I'm assuming we're going into season with what we have, maybe with Hojlund joining just before the start of campaign.

The rest of the deals could get done or not, but when season starts, shape of the team must be clarified to the higher degree. Other deals will be treated more like bonuses then.

...and then there's a deadline day. :lol:
Still seeing us signing Amrabat when one of these two are sold. I agree we won't sign Caicedo or Lavia but holding out hope the bids for former keep being knocked back by Brighton

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Still seeing us signing Amrabat when one of these two are sold. I agree we won't sign Caicedo or Lavia but holding out hope the bids for former keep being knocked back by Brighton
The room for surprises is still there. Last summer, Casemiro joined somewhere near mid August. Amrabat and his agent, looking like waiting on something... but that something must be pushed further by the club, and deal look relatively simple, with no overspending risk.

Does it mean Fred will leave ? If ETH could push him further up the pitch, so he can become a pressing machine, just like Mount is, in some cases, I could see it as trying something different, especially when Hannibal looking not likely to sniff first team football, sadly.

Ollie Derbyshire

This is one player I've never understood how people thought he was good enough.

He must hold the record for holding his hands up and apologising to his teammates for dreadful bits of play. An incredibly erratic player and even worse a CM with a poor first touch.

I've genuinely never seen a player completely unmarked pass the ball out of play as often as Fred.

His energy and workrate is good and he certainly gave us his all unlike other players but selling him is 100% the right decision.
This bit made me laugh. Me and kids mention that ever game!

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
What happened to the Fulham interest?
It was reported somewhere, he posted being in London on his Instagram story, which fueled Fulham link even more. Supposedly Saudi clubs are looking on him, too.

It's probably nothing, but if he changed agent, then it might be telling more, something will happen.

Based Adnan

It's a reasonable fee. Fulham can more than afford that sort of price too.
If it was reasonable we'd see clubs in for him at that price. As things stand it's only Galatasaray, Fulham and an unnamed Saudi club interested and neither of those are showing any willingness to pay anything close to 20.

At best we can hope for some movement from Fulham once they get the Mitro funds from Saudi but doubt he'll go for anything north of 15 imo.

IHateTheEightyEights

It's his age. If he was 25, plenty would.
Jorginho went to Arsenal, Kovacic went to City.

If Fred were half the player you guys thought he was he's have more than Galatasaray trying to get him on the cheap.

Honestly its amazing how people can agree with the good/bad Fred narrative (I don't, if you're bad 40% of the time, you're bad) and still think he's a good player. The guy can't pass, shoot, tackle or dribble.

Can't wait to see the back of him and that damn hand in the air after a making a basic error.

Plastic Evra

This the same Gala that’s already put in a derisory offer of €6m? No chance they’re putting up 18m. :lol:
6m€ is a decent offer from a Turkish club. Their biggest transfer in was, if I' reading the right info, 17m€ for Jardel back in the day. Transfer fee in for 10m€ or more happened 10-ish times (I see 9 on Transfermarkt but Icardi is not listed and that's been the rumoured sum for converting his loan into a permanent contract).

Mickson

Jorginho went to Arsenal, Kovacic went to City.

If Fred were half the player you guys thought he was he's have more than Galatasaray trying to get him on the cheap.

Honestly its amazing how people can agree with the good/bad Fred narrative (I don't, if you're bad 40% of the time, you're bad) and still think he's a good player. The guy can't pass, shoot, tackle or dribble.

Can't wait to see the back of him and that damn hand in the air after a making a basic error.
Jorginho went for £13m..... Also, Kovacic is a year younger and a fantastic player. I don't think anyone has said that Fred is top tier, but the sole reason more clubs aren't interest is his age. Also, Lazio, who came second in Serie A, reportedly wants him so.

Castia

Doesn't exactly seem close to a move does he? would be a good signing for Fulham and at around 10-15m it would be a bargain

Status
Not open for further replies.