Freddy Adu

rooney1905

He never had the potential some claim. He was a marketing ploy by the MLS to lift up a struggling league at the time. I do wonder why he hasn't settled with a team/league. Maybe an attitude problem? To think he's only 25 and has been through quite a lot.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I remember watching him in the u20 Fifa WC in 07. He was one of the best players at the tourney overshadowed even Pato at the time one of the hottest prospects from Brazil.

MTR

hates Herrera
Don't look at my tag. Not native English speaker
He never had the potential some claim. He was a marketing ploy by the MLS to lift up a struggling league at the time. I do wonder why he hasn't settled with a team/league. Maybe an attitude problem? To think he's only 25 and has been through quite a lot.
So...

I remember watching him in the u20 Fifa WC in 07. He was one of the best players at the tourney overshadowed even Pato at the time one of the hottest prospects from Brazil.
You're right. Him and Danny Szetela (where is he?) were beasts.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I disagree. I've seen him play at age 13 against Italy U17 and he was friggin good. He absolutely ran the show.

The boy had talent. Unfortunately he wasn't able to develop it. I believe that the big mistake was done by his parents for relying on the rather inexperienced MLS to develop such talent instead of giving their go ahead to join a European club. I am confident the likes of Ajax, Manchester United or Barcelona would have done a much better job.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well Nélson Oliveira was a top three player in the Colombia U20 WC where we lost to Brazil in the final and now he can't even get on Benfica's bench. Mind you Oliveira still put up decent numbers in his Rennes loan. Thing that Adu never did in his European stints. He might come good if he starts taking football more seriously and work harder. As for Adu i don't really know what happened during his evolution period after he left the US but at Benfica and Belenenses (who is bottom table club at Portugal) he was atrocious. Techinically he was way behind most of players in Benfica and Belenenses squads. He simply wasn't good enough for the football level in Portugal and we are not one of the top leagues in Europe. The transition from youth ranks to professional football is very hard. I've seen plenty of highly rated talents from our academy (much better than Adu technically) fail in that transition.

Distracted Steward

In 2004? Sorry, there is no way. The league was 8 years old and a collapse was near. The top 2 or 3 maybe a tier higher, the rest was just bad.
This and with hardly anyone with any experience with meaningful youth development.

There's been some change since, but Adu was there to early to benefit from it.

anchan1989

It may have had early struggles but to say it is currently no better than league one or lower championship is really ignorant. Its becoming a very competitive league. If anything the level is that of high-championship/low-prem
Hey, I love good football everywhere and I never said that current MLS is that bad.
I talked about 2004. "Kicker", who are really hard but fair judging put MLS around high 3rd league/low 2nd league in Germany right now so I go with that.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
That pun has been made on the past 3 pages :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I expect a 30 for 30 style documentary on him soon. This fake advertisement for one interests me :lol:

Nanook

Released by a mid table Serbian club, where on earth does he go from here? He's still somewhat of a big name so maybe China/India but surely his time in Europe is over.

He lived in Ghana until he was 8, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a few years older than his official age. It would explain a lot.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He says it was just a 6 month contract.

He's played 58 minutes since 2012.

Last edited:

Rossa

I really being in the US in 2007 when he was all the rage. I talked to an American who followed football closely - big United fan actually - and he said that he was going to turn out as nothing. He was more about marketing than anything according to him, and if you compared him to British talent, like Rooney at a similar age, he was a nothing player.

Distracted Steward

Released by a mid table Serbian club, where on earth does he go from here? He's still somewhat of a big name so maybe China/India but surely his time in Europe is over.

He lived in Ghana until he was 8, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a few years older than his official age. It would explain a lot.
Yeah, his list of options is probably shorter than failed opportunities. Maybe he gets on with a weak MLS team on the league minimum.

SirAF

Ageist
IIRC he was given a trail at United around 2002/2003. I was so over the Moon. I was suer Fergie would work his magic on lad.
I think he may have been training with us as late as around 2008 too?

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
The guy started to decline by the time he was suppose to start dominate games because he turned 35 years old. Have you guys watched some of those clips when he's suppose to be 14? He looks closer to 25 wearing those glasses. And all those ridiculous stuff the producer did to make him look younger like wear a small school back pack, make it look like he was just learning how to write letters assisted by his parents and shaping every one of them phoneticly with his mouth as he goes along + over acting trying to be a 14 year old so much that he comes across as a borderline retarded 5 year old (no disrepect to disable people). Everyone involved in that fraud should be ashamed of themselves.