Fredge | Deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

Seems so, at least according to that Sammy Lee piece on Goal this week. They reportedly prioritised Fred and Mahrez in January because they were considered 'gettable' midway through the season. Both players have now dropped down the order of priority on an expanded list of targets for the summer.

Having said that, this is only Goal.com.
Sammy Lee is City's PR teams mouthpiece. Everything he reports is the narrative City want to set.

Infra-red

Sammy Lee is City's PR teams mouthpiece. Everything he reports is the narrative City want to set.
Surprises me that City would use a nobody like Sammy Lee to push their agenda, rather than going to someone at a broadcaster/on a paper instead. Nevertheless, I shall take your word for it and duly ignore his witterings.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Is there Anyone here who watches Shaktar A lot who can give some detail on Fred ? What kind of player he is strengths and weaknesses I have heard many rumors about him and I know Shaktar tend to have A lot of Brazilian talent in their ranks.
I've seen 6 games from them this CL and he's been pretty good in all of them. Seems to be exactly the type of player we need, that Matic midfield partner who's better going forward than McTominay but also does a job defensively. A nice bonus is that he can take free kicks.

Classical Mechanic

Surprises me that City would use a nobody like Sammy Lee to push their agenda, rather than going to someone at a broadcaster/on a paper instead. Nevertheless, I shall take your word for it and duly ignore his witterings.
From Wikipedia

Goal is an international association football news website founded in 2004 by Chicco Merighi and Gianluigi Longinotti-Buitoni. It is currently owned by Perform Group. Goal is the largest online soccer publication in the world,[2] and the 2nd largest online sports publication in the world (behind ESPN only).[2] Goal represents one of the largest football communities in the world with 19 language versions covering more than 50 countries.[3] The website provides users with live scores and the latest news from soccer clubs through its interactive web site and community forums.

Walters_19_MuFc

From what I've seen of him, he would compliment Matic's style.

Whilst defensively very sound, he also offers creativity on the ball, with a good passing range and ability to drive with the ball.

Actually, his passing is very much like Carrick's, where he has the ability to find players in between the lines, with a great disguise.

Would be a perfect signing if Mourinho was to carry on using a 4231, which is the formation he plays in at Shakhtar, as a right defensive midfielder.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
From what I've seen of him, he would compliment Matic's style.

Whilst defensively very sound, he also offers creativity on the ball, with a good passing range and ability to drive with the ball.

Actually, his passing is very much like Carrick's, where he has the ability to find players in between the lines, with a great disguise.

Would be a perfect signing if Mourinho was to carry on using a 4231, which is the formation he plays in at Shakhtar, as a right defensive midfielder.
He's very left footed though isn't he? Could he not fit in where Mata plays?

izec

No, he is a defensive box to box midfielder if that makes sense. Pretty good midfield allrounder, but i wouldnt play him on the wing or behind the striker. Buying him to play another position would be a United thing to do though. Either a midfield 2 or midfield 3, anything else is asking for trouble.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No, he is a defensive box to box midfielder if that makes sense. Pretty good midfield allrounder, but i wouldnt play him on the wing or behind the striker. Buying him to play another position would be a United thing to do though. Either a midfield 2 or midfield 3, anything else is asking for trouble.
Yes ahreed, from what I've seen he's very good box to box, plenty of drive which is what we're missing.

There seems to be an embarrassment of riches out there in that position right now: Seri,Savic...anymore

Walters_19_MuFc

Hope not. As @izec said, he's an all rounder.

Him sitting next to Matic in a 4231 would be ideal. He could also be a more defensive right sided number 8, with Pogba on the left - similar to Allan for Napoli in a 433.

Lukaku
Martial Sanchez Mata
Matic Fred

OR

Sanchez Lukaku Mata
Pogba Matic Fred

Nick7

Yes ahreed, from what I've seen he's very good box to box, plenty of drive which is what we're missing.

There seems to be an embarrassment of riches out there in that position right now: Seri,Savic...anymore
Don't worry we'll start next season without any of them

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We might have won his signature, hence city going cold.
Or City is working hard ok «getting us back» after Sanchez. The KdB-contract thing showed that Citys PR-department was working hard in the aftermath of that one.

Walters_19_MuFc

Don't worry we'll start next season without any of them
All different types of players anyway.

Seri - Ball player. Better in a 3. Will be that glue for us.

Fred - Box to box. Never seen him in a three, but has the attributes to do so.

Savic - Advanced 8. Better in a three.

Savic should be ruled out straight away, in my opinion. Don't need that type of player.

Fred and Seri depends on how we will play.

Seri would be better for a possession based side.

Fred would be better for a side who can switch between possession and counter.

United Pro

Marlos plays in the Mata position and I'd argue he's the better player out of him and Fred. At the very least, he impressed me more when I saw Shakhtar in the Champions League.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If he's defensive box to box, surely that's ideal, as it would release Pogba to play further forward?
On paper he does seem like exactly the kind of player we need, what sort of prices are the media quoting?

engulfing

I will be very surprised if we sign him. Doesn't fit into our footballing concept at all. Fred's agent probably is trying to find him a move.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Looked like we would sign Jorginho and city will sign fred, now it has done a U-turn. Here is a video of fred-

Bwuk

Seems like the sort of player we need. I can't say I've seen him often, if ever.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
Watched him two times agains Roma, not good enough for me, maybe as a reserve. If we want to raise the bar, we need better players

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pep knows his midfielders. So if we're beating City to him, that's great. There's an excitement you get from signing a player you've never seen. I've heard he's a technical player that's very good at beating the press?

cyberman

Pep knows his midfielders. So if we're beating City to him, that's great. There's an excitement you get from signing a player you've never seen. I've heard he's a technical player that's very good at beating the press?
Yeah, this is the way I look at it too.
Its like beating Sir Alex to a defender. Almost a guaranteed success.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Defensive Anticipation
Engine
Line breaking pass
Dead ball delivery

I would say those are his strengths. Very very good left foot on him.

Sanche7

Looked like we would sign Jorginho and city will sign fred, now it has done a U-turn. Here is a video of fred-
He looks pretty good in that video.
Some nice through balls, long balls, looks very mobile and agile, good against press, has a good shot on him.
He looks like a #6 #8 hybrid who can play in both 4-2-3-1 & 4-3-3
What we lack is someone like him, a high energy midfielder who is agile, who can move around, cover some ground, who can contribute defensively and offensively.Going by that video and a few other videos I've seen of him, he looks like exactly what we need.

Devil may care

The few times I've seen him he's not been that great, he's got tenacity, covers a lot of ground and has the odd pass in him, but he's not a playmaker and his touch is inconsistent when trying to run with the ball, he's kinda like a less technical Ander with more ground coverage, he reminds me of Lemina from Southampton.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I'd prefer Doucoure to this guy. Haven't seen anything to suggest he'd be any better. It's not like he'll get a look in at free kicks.

saivet

I'd say he's probably a better version of Herrera, which is probably what we need alongside Pogba with somebody else sitting in behind.
Agreed. I think Herrera is the right mould of player, but he lacks that bit of qualitym

Status
Not open for further replies.