Fredge | Deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One that doesn't feel too exciting despite the high fee. So hopefully he's brilliant for us, as opposed to those high excitement transfers of the last few years that haven't.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Don't be ridiculous, if they are shooting unveiling video on Monday, the post editing process would take at least 2 days maximum considering the corporate level of United.

As a production guy, I think the unveiling will be on Wednesday afternoon minimum.
You are kidding me? That long? Tell them to send me video and audio footage, I'll do it in 6,7 hours.
Tired of this "soon" part.

MrSingh2002

Apparently having his medical tonight....

Reported to have left the Brazil camp with the managers blessing.

1 down. Dalot to be next and then we'll see what happens with possible LB, CB, CF and another midfielder if Fellaini leaves.

Could potentially see another 4 join after Fred and Dalot...

GM K

Herrea is not as big and tall as Matic but does a lot of things better than Matic. In his best season for us(before Matic came) he was simply a superior player to Matic in almost all accounts, including his 11 assists, while playing as a deepest midfielder and providing legs for Pogba, often holding the midfield on his own. It is baffling how people overrated Matic. He did well for us last season and is a decent dsigning but if we wanna ever play some fluent football and win the midfield battle against the best teams. We need a more dynamic player. On that alone Herrera in form is an upgrade on Matic. Winning the ball all over the pitch, and higher up the pitch, quickly releasing the ball to strikers, unlike Matic slowing the game down massively dwelling on the ball far too long so everyone is already marked and all the spaces shut down..

For me we need to replace Matic sooner or later or sacrifice one attacking player and play 3 in midfield which can obviously work but if we go with midfield three then Herrera would be still my choice. Matic could play against lower sides though, after all it was Herrera who most often than not got MOTM against top6 sides last season before being unlucky to get injured and Matic hit the road running against the bottom6 sides with a fresh hungry team behind him
"Herrera in form"

Errrmm, only problem is that he has only been 'in form' once in the last three to four seasons?

I'm sorry but Herrera can't lace Matic's boots. Matic, is far more consistent, more tested and proven, has been the core of three title winning teams - one in Portugal and two in England and has obviously outperformed every midfielder at United last season including Herrera. Minus the period when he was apparently overworked, Matic has been immense and one of the reasons we stayed second. The only outstanding season Herrera had, we were like fifth on the table? That means something.

Thelyonking1

Sorry but I disagree with this. The golden rule of football when it comes to transitions, is that the ball can always move faster than a player. Meaning that you don’t have to be fleet of foot to be excellent in the transition. You just have to use the ball well. Obviously in forward positions you need pace to capitalise on this to a certain degree. During some of our finest transition years we had players like Carrick, and Cantona at the heart of our teams. Neither being particular fast. Especially Carrick. But their brains and passing made the transition flow.

In fact United had Carrick and Scholes through the middle, neither of whom are fast. But they used the ball quickly when the opportunity presented itself.

I think the much bigger issue is the movement of our front players. Fergie’s teams always stretched the pitch, made runs in behind and were typified by clever fluid movement of the front players. Mourinho’s United has been largely absent width and dynamic movement. Often Matic will get his head up and find both wide forwards have come deep to get the ball, and one will have to carry it up field, allowing teams time to regroup. That destroys the transition IMO.

My favourite examples of brilliant transitions were with Rooney and Ronaldo. They were both always aware of where the other was, and constantly making runs and space for each other. When Carrick or Scholes picked up the ball in a counterattacking situation, you knew he had options spreading and exploding in front of him. So he had 2 or 3 possible outlets. Now we have Sanchez or Mata standing around the center circle. Lukaku, and Rashford when he plays, are the only ones who ever go in behind. Lingard sometimes.

The other thing missing is synchronicity. I remember having Scholes and Keane in midfield - I’ll pause while you wipe the drool from your chin - and you could genuinely say that they didn’t have clearly defined roles such as DM and AM. Scholes was naturally more creative, and Keane naturally more energetic, but they had this innate understanding that “if you go up, I stay back” and vice versa. That typifies a well functioning unit. The same could be said for Rooney and Ronaldo, or Yorke and Cole. If one came deep, the other made the run. Naturally in those scenarios Yorke and Rooney came deep more often, due to their skill sets, but the innate synchronicity was still there.

We lack that all over the field, especially in midfield. And that makes it too predictable. I think the lack of dynamic movement from Matic is the last in a long list of transition problems, because his use of the ball when options are open, is generally fast and excellent.

What’s perplexing about all of this, is that earlier in his career, Mourinho was famous for emphasising the importance of the transitional phase, I.e. a team’s success is dependent on their ability to turn defense into attack as quickly as possible, and attack back into defense equally as fast. He still excels in regrouping the defensive shape better than any other coach, maybe Simeone aside, in the world IMO. But his attacking transitions look disconnected these days. Maybe he is being out coached, and out dated, but really these are time tested and simple principles. I think the truth is that he’s become increasingly conservative as a coach and just doesn’t do the work on the training ground required to build a cohesive counter attacking unit. Like all of all I am wondering if the addition of McKenna will help.

Finally, it explains Jose’s obsession with multi talented players. A player like Martial, who can be excellent in the attacking transition, doesn’t do the reverse transition anywhere near as well. Willian, in contrast does. It’s also why he loves Lingard. He has that balance to transition both ways very diligently. The problem for us, is that the type of player who is excellent at defensive transitions, is rarely the best at attacking ones.

We’ll have to see what this summer’s recruitment brings.
What an absolute pleasure to read . 100% agree with every part of this . I think we are missing efficient players . I think Erikson would be ideal to solve this problem

Maxin

I come to your team n I feck things up, I'm Moyes
Anyone near carrington spotting Fred?

Ban

If he hasnt gone to Carrington tonight then it might be off. Being so close and that.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
Anyone seen him play more than a handful of times? I’ve only really watched him against Man City and he was underwhelming at best. Looked lightweight, very un-Brazilian ball control and was blind-turning into trouble all the time.... I hope first impressions are wrong this time!

Woziak

Fred is exactly what United need, however he will need time to settle. As someone who lives in Manchester, the Brazilians that first settled Kleberson, Anderson, De Silva twins, Elano, Robinho, Jesus, Fernadinho and Danilo all tend to be very close and normally hang out in Bem Brasil off Deansgate. This was Anderson's problem he partied and ate too much. Ronaldo and Nani were Portuguese speakers so there was a really good culture at our club then.
I'm sure Jose wants at least 2 Brazilians and a couple of Portuguese players to try and create a more friendly environment plus he does well managing these players so for me this is a great signing. Jose wants brave players who take risks and open up teams who are looking to draw or Nick a 1-0 at Old Trafford.
We will find out next year whether this window has been significant or not and I hope that I can finally see a Jose United team score 5 goals or more in a game, something he has still not managed in 118 games!

Reactions: Penna

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
What does this ™ sign means in title?
Raoul edited the title to say Medical soon on the 24th May so I added the ™ bit a couple of days ago to take the piss out of it as 'soon' gets mocked a bit on here because when something says 'soon', it tends to take a bit longer than most would like.

DownRiver

I think it's quite an achievement for Fred to be in the Brazil squad considering he plays for a team in Ukraine out of all places. He doesn't have the same visibility as players in top 5 leagues even, let alone top 3!

If he comes to united and shows his qualities, then for sure he will be a regular In the Brazil squad. Some players are picked just because they play in a big club and played with Brazil previously. Fred had to get in the hard way.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good to see it wrapped up very quickly.

I’m not entirely sure with Fred as I’ve not seen much, but I do like the fact he is very fleet footed across the field and very competent at carrying the ball. I just hope his passing and shooting are at a high standard too. There are some fears in my mind we’ve signed a somewhat buffed Ander Herrera.

el3mel

He's coming without high expectations so I'm expecting him to succeed without much fuss.

Moiraine

Raoul edited the title to say Medical soon on the 24th May so I added the ™ bit a couple of days ago to take the piss out of it as 'soon' gets mocked a bit on here because when something says 'soon', it tends to take a bit longer than most would like.
Exactly what I wanted to hear, a real explanation :D
It is always fun to have these sort of things in a thread. But sometimes we feel like Joey of friends when something like that going on in the background (if you know what I mean)
:wenger:

Classical Mechanic

Would I feel the ire of the football moral police if I said I wouldn’t mind if a certain Brazil midfielder got a niggly hammy injury so I could watch Fred at the World Cup?

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
Has anyone photographed him in Liverpool for his visa/work permit?

Is anyone even tracking the mata chopter?

Poor form....

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Sounds good. Don't expect him to cost more than £530 million so that's hopefully good value.

Suv666

Not suprised this deal took a little time. Woody has got dalot on his plate right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.