Fredge | Deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Royal

I think I’d be a tad more excited if his name was Fredinho of Fredaldo..... but hope this gets over the line this week and we can focus on fullbacks.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I can see is wrapping this up, then a couple of full backs and a centre back before the World Cup. Then the Caf will be entirely invested in a mammoth Gareth Bale thread.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I can see is wrapping this up, then a couple of full backs and a centre back before the World Cup. Then the Caf will be entirely invested in a mammoth Gareth Bale thread.
Wishful thinking, if we are indeed in for them Sandro and Alderwiereld will drag on throughout the World Cup and beyond

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I didn't like how he couldn't find a pass in the 10 minute cameo he had. Sell.

Snafu17

Come on mate, it literally says "I am not the real Craig Norwood" in the bio.

TrueRed79

Sorry about that lads. I follow him on Twitter and was in auto-pilot there when posting.

RedStarUnited

Pretty much, but football fans do tend to live under the illusion that they know better than a fully qualified manager.

We are a deluded bunch that's for sure :lol:
Its just opinions. In my opinion and my interpretation of how football should be played, Player X is better than player Y.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Its just opinions. In my opinion and my interpretation of how football should be played, Player X is better than player Y.
Wrong. I just googled player Y and couldn't even find a Wiki page.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Don't be ridiculous, if they are shooting unveiling video on Monday, the post editing process would take at least 2 days maximum considering the corporate level of United.

As a production guy, I think the unveiling will be on Wednesday afternoon minimum.
As a production guy what do you do?

minoo-utd

Should we get excited? Is he the player our midfield need? Actually I stopped being excited about our transfers.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Is his passing at Herrera level or a bit higher?
Clearly higher, not just by a bit. Has a good range of passing, eye of the needle pass, pass into space for runner, pass onto the flanks to switch the play.

I think people will be surprised by his passing.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
No offense to Matic but he isn't all that dynamic and is one of the reasons for our slow transition from midfield to attack.
Sorry but I disagree with this. The golden rule of football when it comes to transitions, is that the ball can always move faster than a player. Meaning that you don’t have to be fleet of foot to be excellent in the transition. You just have to use the ball well. Obviously in forward positions you need pace to capitalise on this to a certain degree. During some of our finest transition years we had players like Carrick, and Cantona at the heart of our teams. Neither being particular fast. Especially Carrick. But their brains and passing made the transition flow.

In fact United had Carrick and Scholes through the middle, neither of whom are fast. But they used the ball quickly when the opportunity presented itself.

I think the much bigger issue is the movement of our front players. Fergie’s teams always stretched the pitch, made runs in behind and were typified by clever fluid movement of the front players. Mourinho’s United has been largely absent width and dynamic movement. Often Matic will get his head up and find both wide forwards have come deep to get the ball, and one will have to carry it up field, allowing teams time to regroup. That destroys the transition IMO.

My favourite examples of brilliant transitions were with Rooney and Ronaldo. They were both always aware of where the other was, and constantly making runs and space for each other. When Carrick or Scholes picked up the ball in a counterattacking situation, you knew he had options spreading and exploding in front of him. So he had 2 or 3 possible outlets. Now we have Sanchez or Mata standing around the center circle. Lukaku, and Rashford when he plays, are the only ones who ever go in behind. Lingard sometimes.

The other thing missing is synchronicity. I remember having Scholes and Keane in midfield - I’ll pause while you wipe the drool from your chin - and you could genuinely say that they didn’t have clearly defined roles such as DM and AM. Scholes was naturally more creative, and Keane naturally more energetic, but they had this innate understanding that “if you go up, I stay back” and vice versa. That typifies a well functioning unit. The same could be said for Rooney and Ronaldo, or Yorke and Cole. If one came deep, the other made the run. Naturally in those scenarios Yorke and Rooney came deep more often, due to their skill sets, but the innate synchronicity was still there.

We lack that all over the field, especially in midfield. And that makes it too predictable. I think the lack of dynamic movement from Matic is the last in a long list of transition problems, because his use of the ball when options are open, is generally fast and excellent.

What’s perplexing about all of this, is that earlier in his career, Mourinho was famous for emphasising the importance of the transitional phase, I.e. a team’s success is dependent on their ability to turn defense into attack as quickly as possible, and attack back into defense equally as fast. He still excels in regrouping the defensive shape better than any other coach, maybe Simeone aside, in the world IMO. But his attacking transitions look disconnected these days. Maybe he is being out coached, and out dated, but really these are time tested and simple principles. I think the truth is that he’s become increasingly conservative as a coach and just doesn’t do the work on the training ground required to build a cohesive counter attacking unit. Like all of all I am wondering if the addition of McKenna will help.

Finally, it explains Jose’s obsession with multi talented players. A player like Martial, who can be excellent in the attacking transition, doesn’t do the reverse transition anywhere near as well. Willian, in contrast does. It’s also why he loves Lingard. He has that balance to transition both ways very diligently. The problem for us, is that the type of player who is excellent at defensive transitions, is rarely the best at attacking ones.

We’ll have to see what this summer’s recruitment brings.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sorry but I disagree with this. The golden rule of football when it comes to transitions, is that the ball can always move faster than a player. Meaning that you don’t have to be fleet of foot to be excellent in the transition. You just have to use the ball well. Obviously in forward positions you need pace to capitalise on this to a certain degree. During some of our finest transition years we had players like Carrick, and Cantona at the heart of our teams. Neither being particular fast. Especially Carrick. But their brains and passing made the transition flow.

In fact United had Carrick and Scholes through the middle, neither of whom are fast. But they used the ball quickly when the opportunity presented itself.

I think the much bigger issue is the movement of our front players. Fergie’s teams always stretched the pitch, made runs in behind and were typified by clever fluid movement of the front players. Mourinho’s United has been largely absent width and dynamic movement. Often Matic will get his head up and find both wide forwards have come deep to get the ball, and one will have to carry it up field, allowing teams time to regroup. That destroys the transition IMO.

My favourite examples of brilliant transitions were with Rooney and Ronaldo. They were both always aware of where the other was, and constantly making runs and space for each other. When Carrick or Scholes picked up the ball in a counterattacking situation, you knew he had options spreading and exploding in front of him. So he had 2 or 3 possible outlets. Now we have Sanchez or Mata standing around the center circle. Lukaku, and Rashford when he plays, are the only ones who ever go in behind. Lingard sometimes.

The other thing missing is synchronicity. I remember having Scholes and Keane in midfield - I’ll pause while you wipe the drool from your chin - and you could genuinely say that they didn’t have clearly defined roles such as DM and AM. Scholes was naturally more creative, and Keane naturally more energetic, but they had this innate understanding that “if you go up, I stay back” and vice versa. That typifies a well functioning unit. The same could be said for Rooney and Ronaldo, or Yorke and Cole. If one came deep, the other made the run. Naturally in those scenarios Yorke and Rooney came deep more often, due to their skill sets, but the innate synchronicity was still there.

We lack that all over the field, especially in midfield. And that makes it too predictable. I think the lack of dynamic movement from Matic is the last in a long list of transition problems, because his use of the ball when options are open, is generally fast and excellent.

What’s perplexing about all of this, is that earlier in his career, Mourinho was famous for emphasising the importance of the transitional phase, I.e. a team’s success is dependent on their ability to turn defense into attack as quickly as possible, and attack back into defense equally as fast. He still excels in regrouping the defensive shape better than any other coach, maybe Simeone aside, in the world IMO. But his attacking transitions look disconnected these days. Maybe he is being out coached, and out dated, but really these are time tested and simple principles. I think the truth is that he’s become increasingly conservative as a coach and just doesn’t do the work on the training ground required to build a cohesive counter attacking unit. Like all of all I am wondering if the addition of McKenna will help.

Finally, it explains Jose’s obsession with multi talented players. A player like Martial, who can be excellent in the attacking transition, doesn’t do the reverse transition anywhere near as well. Willian, in contrast does. It’s also why he loves Lingard. He has that balance to transition both ways very diligently. The problem for us, is that the type of player who is excellent at defensive transitions, is rarely the best at attacking ones.

We’ll have to see what this summer’s recruitment brings.
Excellent analysis, mate. It’s confusing when people keep saying we need to overhaul defence, when it is so obvious it’s the attack we have problem. Most often just clueless and lack of movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.