Fredge | Deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infestissumam

good to see this wrapped up ahead of the WC. If Dalot is sorted then this is a solid start to the summer.

hope Fred can adjust quickly and be the missing link in our midfield. Would be great to get out a lot of a Brazilian midfielder for a change.

Trophy Room

He'll take a bit of time to settle down, patience will be required. He won't take us to the next level but brings midfield qualities we currently lack.

Thelyonking1

So that guy with the contact in the media company was right! Hopefully he gets a few more hints to post on here throughout the summer

Last edited by a moderator:

meamth

You are kidding me? That long? Tell them to send me video and audio footage, I'll do it in 6,7 hours.
Tired of this "soon" part.
Haha :lol:. I was trying to be funny here actually.

Of course the production company would charge united with same day edit.

Man, the guy who owns this company would be filthy rich.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Haha :lol:. I was trying to be funny here actually.

Of course the production company would charge united with same day edit.

Man, the guy who owns this company would be filthy rich.
Damn, I was looking forward to business oportunity. Naive me.
Now I know how people feel when being white texted.:D

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Apparently he just posted this:
Then deleted it and reposted it with his location turned off.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
social media get em every time :lol:

SSSSnake

These are the type of low key signings that will hopefully pay off. For some reason the flashy signings like Pogba, Sanchez, Falcao, Di Maria et al just didn’t work out.

Irrational.

How'd he look for Brazil today?
Difficult to assess in the 9 or so minutes he was on the pitch (he had about 3 or 4 touches of the ball), but you get an idea of the kind of player we're getting: busy, combative, hard-working. I reckon he'll complement Pogba quite well and allow him to operate further up the pitch.

The White Pele

Haven’t watched him play a match but from the clips it certainly looks like he has the attributes we are currently missing and the type of player that we need to compliment Matic and Pogba.

His pace on the counter looks exciting.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
@TheReligion @Ban

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if we made these 2 major signings of talent before everyone else. After the usual melts were moaning about our supposed premature bad summer window and we end up with a double scoop.

Like it matters who does what first.
Don’t worry mate, people will find another way to have a meltdown.

TheReligion

Abusive
I haven't really seen him so just in general what he's been like for them and where he's played etc? Where he will fit in midfield? Type of player?

The scoutnation videos are always good as attached.

I see him as a classic box to box player. He's very central and can play as AM, CM or DM. Good engine, technically solid and acts as the glue between defence and attack. He's a more forward thinking version of Fernandinho but in the bracket of Kante. He'll bustle about the pitch, win possession and get the ball forward quickly. Basically I see him really helping our slow build up play and transitions from attack to defence.

TheReligion

Abusive
@TheReligion @Ban

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if we made these 2 major signings of talent before everyone else. After the usual melts were moaning about our supposed premature bad summer window and we end up with a double scoop.

Like it matters who does what first.
A very good double swoop too. The Dalot signing is another exciting one.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

I see him as a classic box to box player. He's very central and can play as AM, CM or DM. Good engine, technically solid and acts as the glue between defence and attack. He's a more forward thinking version of Fernandinho but in the bracket of Kante. He'll bustle about the pitch, win possession and get the ball forward quickly. Basically I see him really helping our slow build up play and transitions from attack to defence.
Sounds promising!

TheReligion

Abusive
Sounds promising!
I think so. As someone mentioned he should compliment Pogba well. He can suffer with indiscipline, given his role is to break up play and start attacks, and he's also not good in the air. There's a lot of versitility in Pogba, Fred, Matic though and on paper it's quite a powerful and tenacious midfield.

diarm

Sorry but I disagree with this. The golden rule of football when it comes to transitions, is that the ball can always move faster than a player. Meaning that you don’t have to be fleet of foot to be excellent in the transition. You just have to use the ball well. Obviously in forward positions you need pace to capitalise on this to a certain degree. During some of our finest transition years we had players like Carrick, and Cantona at the heart of our teams. Neither being particular fast. Especially Carrick. But their brains and passing made the transition flow.

In fact United had Carrick and Scholes through the middle, neither of whom are fast. But they used the ball quickly when the opportunity presented itself.

I think the much bigger issue is the movement of our front players. Fergie’s teams always stretched the pitch, made runs in behind and were typified by clever fluid movement of the front players. Mourinho’s United has been largely absent width and dynamic movement. Often Matic will get his head up and find both wide forwards have come deep to get the ball, and one will have to carry it up field, allowing teams time to regroup. That destroys the transition IMO.

My favourite examples of brilliant transitions were with Rooney and Ronaldo. They were both always aware of where the other was, and constantly making runs and space for each other. When Carrick or Scholes picked up the ball in a counterattacking situation, you knew he had options spreading and exploding in front of him. So he had 2 or 3 possible outlets. Now we have Sanchez or Mata standing around the center circle. Lukaku, and Rashford when he plays, are the only ones who ever go in behind. Lingard sometimes.

The other thing missing is synchronicity. I remember having Scholes and Keane in midfield - I’ll pause while you wipe the drool from your chin - and you could genuinely say that they didn’t have clearly defined roles such as DM and AM. Scholes was naturally more creative, and Keane naturally more energetic, but they had this innate understanding that “if you go up, I stay back” and vice versa. That typifies a well functioning unit. The same could be said for Rooney and Ronaldo, or Yorke and Cole. If one came deep, the other made the run. Naturally in those scenarios Yorke and Rooney came deep more often, due to their skill sets, but the innate synchronicity was still there.

We lack that all over the field, especially in midfield. And that makes it too predictable. I think the lack of dynamic movement from Matic is the last in a long list of transition problems, because his use of the ball when options are open, is generally fast and excellent.

What’s perplexing about all of this, is that earlier in his career, Mourinho was famous for emphasising the importance of the transitional phase, I.e. a team’s success is dependent on their ability to turn defense into attack as quickly as possible, and attack back into defense equally as fast. He still excels in regrouping the defensive shape better than any other coach, maybe Simeone aside, in the world IMO. But his attacking transitions look disconnected these days. Maybe he is being out coached, and out dated, but really these are time tested and simple principles. I think the truth is that he’s become increasingly conservative as a coach and just doesn’t do the work on the training ground required to build a cohesive counter attacking unit. Like all of all I am wondering if the addition of McKenna will help.

Finally, it explains Jose’s obsession with multi talented players. A player like Martial, who can be excellent in the attacking transition, doesn’t do the reverse transition anywhere near as well. Willian, in contrast does. It’s also why he loves Lingard. He has that balance to transition both ways very diligently. The problem for us, is that the type of player who is excellent at defensive transitions, is rarely the best at attacking ones.

We’ll have to see what this summer’s recruitment brings.
What a bloody good post. Agree with every word.

EyeInTheSky

A very good double swoop too. The Dalot signing is another exciting one.
Fingers crossed it’s a smooth transfer soon.

Would love for us to go for a top RW as I think that would be the missing piece to our attack. Don’t think Dalot will be playing there quiet yet despite looking like that might be his ultimate position down the line.

Get a LB like Sandro on top of that and I would be more than satisfied.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

Biggest takeaway from that video is he's going to find it weird playing in stadiums with fans in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.