Fredge | Deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

Damn, I was looking forward to business oportunity. Naive me.
Now I know how people feel when being white texted.:D
What do you mean business opportunity?

I'm no doubt been making videos since i was 19, now I'm a 28 year old professional based in Malaysia though.

Knowing how professional the Caucasian is, I have no doubt they can deliver those high quality videos in no time.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Sorry but I disagree with this. The golden rule of football when it comes to transitions, is that the ball can always move faster than a player. Meaning that you don’t have to be fleet of foot to be excellent in the transition. You just have to use the ball well. Obviously in forward positions you need pace to capitalise on this to a certain degree. During some of our finest transition years we had players like Carrick, and Cantona at the heart of our teams. Neither being particular fast. Especially Carrick. But their brains and passing made the transition flow.

In fact United had Carrick and Scholes through the middle, neither of whom are fast. But they used the ball quickly when the opportunity presented itself.

I think the much bigger issue is the movement of our front players. Fergie’s teams always stretched the pitch, made runs in behind and were typified by clever fluid movement of the front players. Mourinho’s United has been largely absent width and dynamic movement. Often Matic will get his head up and find both wide forwards have come deep to get the ball, and one will have to carry it up field, allowing teams time to regroup. That destroys the transition IMO.

My favourite examples of brilliant transitions were with Rooney and Ronaldo. They were both always aware of where the other was, and constantly making runs and space for each other. When Carrick or Scholes picked up the ball in a counterattacking situation, you knew he had options spreading and exploding in front of him. So he had 2 or 3 possible outlets. Now we have Sanchez or Mata standing around the center circle. Lukaku, and Rashford when he plays, are the only ones who ever go in behind. Lingard sometimes.

The other thing missing is synchronicity. I remember having Scholes and Keane in midfield - I’ll pause while you wipe the drool from your chin - and you could genuinely say that they didn’t have clearly defined roles such as DM and AM. Scholes was naturally more creative, and Keane naturally more energetic, but they had this innate understanding that “if you go up, I stay back” and vice versa. That typifies a well functioning unit. The same could be said for Rooney and Ronaldo, or Yorke and Cole. If one came deep, the other made the run. Naturally in those scenarios Yorke and Rooney came deep more often, due to their skill sets, but the innate synchronicity was still there.

We lack that all over the field, especially in midfield. And that makes it too predictable. I think the lack of dynamic movement from Matic is the last in a long list of transition problems, because his use of the ball when options are open, is generally fast and excellent.

What’s perplexing about all of this, is that earlier in his career, Mourinho was famous for emphasising the importance of the transitional phase, I.e. a team’s success is dependent on their ability to turn defense into attack as quickly as possible, and attack back into defense equally as fast. He still excels in regrouping the defensive shape better than any other coach, maybe Simeone aside, in the world IMO. But his attacking transitions look disconnected these days. Maybe he is being out coached, and out dated, but really these are time tested and simple principles. I think the truth is that he’s become increasingly conservative as a coach and just doesn’t do the work on the training ground required to build a cohesive counter attacking unit. Like all of all I am wondering if the addition of McKenna will help.

Finally, it explains Jose’s obsession with multi talented players. A player like Martial, who can be excellent in the attacking transition, doesn’t do the reverse transition anywhere near as well. Willian, in contrast does. It’s also why he loves Lingard. He has that balance to transition both ways very diligently. The problem for us, is that the type of player who is excellent at defensive transitions, is rarely the best at attacking ones.

We’ll have to see what this summer’s recruitment brings.
Excellent post.

I've tried to put a finger on why we've been so poor offensively at times this season and you nailed it: it's our lethargic offensive transition. Some matches it clicked (Arsenal away) but by and large we are poor in transition.

Players struggle to make the runs or find the space as we move the ball forward. Our attack breaks down very easily, or builds up slowly, allowing opponents to take defensive shape. Maybe it's because other coaches know how to counter Mourinho's coaching by now, so they nullify the transition channels, making distribution more difficult and slowing down our attack. Maybe Pogba, Herrera, Matic just aren't as gifted as Scholes/Keane/Carrick, yet (or will ever be). Maybe our attackers, including fullbacks are simply underperforming.

Regardless, Mourinho and his new coaching staff (McKenna et al) know we need to improve and I'm sure Fred will be a vital cog in this process.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Not sure what to think of Fred, I just remember Anderson and for that reason, I believe I'm scared for life.

Adcuth

Just found out the brazil team went through runcorn train station. Could have gone full muppet and badgered fred for info

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The amount of internet disengaged United fans who will see this and think we’re signing that big lump who was upfront for Brazil at the last World Cup.

PoTMS

By using my eyes? Some might consider him better already. He's certainly performed more consistently in the CL
Those people would be wrong. I'm happy with this signing but let's not pretend Fred, someone we all knew nothing about before January, is all of a sudden better than Keita.

TheReligion

Abusive
Those people would be wrong. I'm delighted with this signing but let's not pretend Fred, someone we all knew nothing about before January, is all of a sudden better than Keita.
Speak for yourself if you didn't know about Fred.

As said his price is market value when you consider what Keita and Fabinho have gone for.

PoTMS

As said his price is market value when you consider what Keita and Fabinho have gone for.
Yes, I'm sure you've followed his career for a lot longer than just this year.

MJJ

Yes, I'm sure you've followed his career for a lot longer than just this year.
I'm sure you've followed both Fred and Keita since they were born.

So you think the fee is too high for Fred?
:lol: Classic deflection.

Guy seems to be talented, no point comparing his fee to other players now as doubt anyone here has seen him play regularly.

PoTMS

I'm sure you've followed both Fred and Keita since they were born.

So you think the fee is too high for Fred?
I've followed Keita for a while (in fact, here is a post in 2016 of me urging Mourinho to sign him) and think he is already a top class midfielder who will only get better. Fred, like I said, I've only monitored as of recently but he's never been too highly rated until this year which has been his breakthrough year.

In terms of the fee, I wouldn't be able to comment as I think transfer fees are ridiculous these days. But if you were to ask me would I rather pay £50m for Fred or £65m for Keita, I know which I'd choose and it's not the Brazilian.

Like I said, I'm still happy with this signing but Liverpool got themselves a bargain in Keita and annoyingly he'll show us all why he's so highly rated next season.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
£52m according to BBC. Why does he cost so fecking much?
Don't think it's from their source, they mentioned "reported fee" think they are just copying the reported numbers from other media.

The journalist who broke the news first said 50 Million Euros, 2 of the Brazilian sources mentioned fee is upto 55 millon Euros.

Anyways IIRC Shakhtar will announce the fee.

maniwin

Not sure what to think of Fred, I just remember Anderson and for that reason, I believe I'm scared for life.
To be fair, Anderson was brilliant for us for few couple of years. He has more contribution than the likes of Martial or Rashford back in the day.

TheReligion

Abusive
I haven't really seen him so just in general what he's been like for them and where he's played etc? Where he will fit in midfield? Type of player?

The scoutnation videos are always good as attached.

I see him as a classic box to box player. He's very central and can play as AM, CM or DM. Good engine, technically solid and acts as the glue between defence and attack. He's a more forward thinking version of Fernandinho but in the bracket of Kante. He'll bustle about the pitch, win possession and get the ball forward quickly. Basically I see him really helping our slow build up play and transitions from attack to defence.
£52m according to BBC. Why does he cost so fecking much?
@MJJ I was replying as above. I have seen Fred play and think it's a great signing for the club.

I doubt many here have watched the rise of Keita but now think he's worth every penny of his fee and is much better than Fred.

#caflogic

TheReligion

Abusive
I've followed Keita for a while (in fact, here is a post in 2016 of me urging Mourinho to sign him) and think he is already a top class midfielder who will only get better. Fred, like I said, I've only monitored as of recently but he's never been too highly rated until this year which has been his breakthrough year.

In terms of the fee, I wouldn't be able to comment as I think transfer fees are ridiculous these days. But if you were to ask me would I rather pay £50m for Fred or £65m for Keita, I know which I'd choose and it's not the Brazilian.

Like I said, I'm still happy with this signing but Liverpool got themselves a bargain in Keita and he'll show us all next season.
The question I answered was "why is Fred worth so much"

The answer is it's his market value give or take, when you consider the price of Keita and Fabinho.

Not sure why the uproar tbh.

PoTMS

The question I answered was "why is Fred worth so much"

The answer is it's his market value give or take, when you consider the price of Keita and Fabinho.

Not sure why the uproar tbh.
I'm not arguing with you on that point. I'm arguing with the point that you said some would say Fred is better than Keita. Like I said, those people would be wrong.

Also how is Fred more CL consistent than Keita? By playing more games? This was literally Keita's first season in the CL.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm not arguing with this point. I'm arguing with the point that you said some believe Fred is better than Keita. Like I said, those people would be wrong.
Well you agree with me then on the fee. No argument to be had.

Good day Sir.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
Can't wait to see how they will unveil him, if Fred the red Mascot is not used, it would be disappointing. :D

the_irish123

Fred is not a guy who will have a great highlights video on youtube, but he will be consistent and run very hard and do a bit of everything. The opposite of Pogba basically.

Last edited:

marktan

Ando gets hate for the player he became, but for the first 3-4 years he was a very technically good footballer. His issue was his head, and him letting himself go.

Bogga

Anderson scares you? Guess you're to young to be scared of Kleberson...

At least Anderson looked promising and actually developed a bit until it all went south

Status
Not open for further replies.