g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Free Agents in Summer

Lee565

I hope we go after a few free agents this summer, when you think of all the money we have wasted on players like martial, Fred, bisska, Antony, sancho, beek etc.. would we have been any worse off had we brought in good free agents instead of them, the idea the ten hag might use funds to sign weghorst and sabitzer permanently is insane when you could easily get players that average for free this summer

croadyman

I hope we go after a few free agents this summer, when you think of all the money we have wasted on players like martial, Fred, bisska, Antony, sancho, beek etc.. would we have been any worse off had we brought in good free agents instead of them, the idea the ten hag might use funds to sign weghorst and sabitzer permanently is insane when you could easily get players that average for free this summer
Yeah the likes of Tielemans,Thuram,N'dicka are definitely obtainable,unfortunately people like Kroos and Benzema less so

UDontMessWith24

I'm not sure how we can possibly not at least make contact to see what Laimer and Tielemans want. We need two midfielders at a minimum and all of the strikers we're reportedly interested bar Hoijland will cost north of 70 million.

zaafi

I'm not sure how we can possibly not at least make contact to see what Laimer and Tielemans want. We need two midfielders at a minimum and all of the strikers we're reportedly interested bar Hoijland will cost north of 70 million.
Like my post above said, Laimer has already signed for Bayern. Tielemans is trash.

Onerealunited

Given the high amount of new players we need and the hopefully many departures it would be insane not to get any of the free agent players this summer especially as backup to the starting 11, I would definitely consider the 3 French players:
- Thuram as a backup striker
- Ndicka as backup center back
- Rabiot as backup midfielder

croadyman

Given the high amount of new players we need and the hopefully many departures it would be insane not to get any of the free agent players this summer especially as backup to the starting 11, I would definitely consider the 3 French players:
Yeah forgot about Rabiot

UDontMessWith24

He'd just be a squad filler and nothing more. Do you think he's going to improve us? And if you do, how exactly?
He's better than Fred, McTominay and Sabitzer, and he costs nothing. We have to invest heavily in a striker and a starting caliber midfielder to play next to Casemiro. He's not Scholes but he's a decent player. Certainly not "trash".

bucky

I'm still not sure what Laimer has done to convince so many people on here that he is a good player. Similar to Sabitzer he is squad player at best.

zaafi

He's better than Fred, McTominay and Sabitzer, and he costs nothing. We have to invest heavily in a striker and a starting caliber midfielder to play next to Casemiro. He's not Scholes but he's a decent player. Certainly not "trash".
He has a different skillset than these players, but I wouldn't say he's better than Fred. Fred usually performs in big games, which Tielemans do not. He has an exceptional long ball range and scores some absolute screamers every now and then, but that's about it. He's not particularly hard working and his pass completion is slightly above Fred's who constantly get abuse for his passing. If we're going to go for a midfielder on a free, Rabiot would be the much better choice.

zaafi

No he isn't, don't be silly. He's a competent premier league level midfielder, and better than most of our current ones.
That is only because some of our midfielders genuinely belong in Championship. Look at McTominay, for instance. Acquiring Tielemans isn't going to take us to the top. He's a lazy midfielder who Ten Hag probably wouldn't want to work with.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
No he isn't, don't be silly. He's a competent premier league level midfielder, and better than most of our current ones.
No way. Now who’s being silly. Casemiro, Eriksen and Fred are streets ahead of him. Scott is probably marginally better too on his day. Youri has talent for sure but it feels like attitude and mentality stop him being a top player.

Drizzle

No way. Now who’s being silly. Casemiro, Eriksen and Fred are streets ahead of him. Scott is probably marginally better too on his day. Youri has talent for sure but it feels like attitude and mentality stop him being a top player.
To be fair, you're right on that one. He's clearly better than Mctominay and Sabitzer though. And on a free, he'd be a smart squad depth move. Rather him on a free than Sabitzer for £20m. To call him 'trash' is just ridiculous though.

Although if we're going for mids on a free, Rabiot is the one to get.

Drizzle

That is only because some of our midfielders genuinely belong in Championship. Look at McTominay, for instance. Acquiring Tielemans isn't going to take us to the top. He's a lazy midfielder who Ten Hag probably wouldn't want to work with.
He wouldn't be our main midfield signing though, would he? He'd be an upgrade on McTominay as a decent squad option while turning £20m profit on the exchange. Our floor is way too low, we need good squad depth as well as top class additions.

zaafi

He wouldn't be our main midfield signing though, would he? He'd be an upgrade on McTominay as a decent squad option while turning £20m profit on the exchange. Our floor is way too low, we need good squad depth as well as top class additions.
That's fair. If we can get rid of McTominay and get Tielemans on a free the other way then absolutely.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
To be fair, you're right on that one. He's clearly better than Mctominay and Sabitzer though. And on a free, he'd be a smart squad depth move. Rather him on a free than Sabitzer for £20m. To call him 'trash' is just ridiculous though.

Although if we're going for mids on a free, Rabiot is the one to get.
Although I forgot about Sabi momentarily I do like him. You’re right though, Tielemans clearly isn’t trash. Not sure he’s Utd level though. We can do better.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tra..._id=alle&altersklasse=alle&land_id=0&yt0=Show

2024. Some of the names are already on our list for smart signings in the summer. 50% I expect to renew though.
From that list, the first thing that needs to happen is for us to resign Rashford and Shaw. After that, the first name that pops out is Declan Rice. A long term DM is a must, plus he can play as an 8 while Cassemiro is starting (or double pivot in more defensive situations).

Second pick is probably Kane. We desperately need a striker.

Unfortunately there are no keepers that really catch me eye on that list (unless someone can make Neuer 25 years old again).

The rest are fantasy buys like Savic, Saka and Viniscus jr. Mind you, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at Maddison. We could use depth in the #10 and I wouldn't be surprised to see him be good in the #8 and #11 as well...

Lee565

If rabiot can drop the drama and silly wage demands then he would be an upgrade on sabitzer, Fred and mctominay and run even eriksen close

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Very unlikey any of them will be happy for a back up role. Especially Ndicka.

Irwin99

Given FFP and the uncertainty around new owners it'll be interesting to see if we do a few free transfers to boost the squad options. Raibot and Tielemans you would think would be decent squad options.

croadyman

Given FFP and the uncertainty around new owners it'll be interesting to see if we do a few free transfers to boost the squad options. Raibot and Tielemans you would think would be decent squad options.
Yeah they would

Red Star One

James Rodriguez has terminated his contract with Olympiacos and a free agent now, I have almost forgotten about him, only 31 still

Baneofthegame

Think Ndicka is a must considering Martinez injury, then look at bringing in Rabiot/Thuram to replace Fred/Martial.

Kameda for CAM depth.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

Think Ndicka is a must considering Martinez injury, then look at bringing in Rabiot/Thuram to replace Fred/Martial.

Kameda for CAM depth.
I saw that he is being released for free. Anybody here watch the Bundesliga/Frankfurt regularly and can provide a short analysis on him?

zaafi

We should be looking at Marco Asensio as his contract expires this summer. I know he's not very popular on here, but he's getting closer to where he was before going downhill. Very versatile player, and can play as backup to Bruno, CM or right winger as he often does for Real Madrid. I can imagine them wanting to renew him, but not sure he's willing to be playing as little as he is currently (880 mins in La Liga). 6 goals and 4 assists in those minutes, which is pretty good.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
We're not going to be signing people on free transfers. We're freaking Man United, we're gonna be spending lots of money. Flipping heck.

croadyman

Kameda for CAM depth.
Can only see maximum of 2 free agent signings,however would totally agree with these choices. My pipe dream is Benzema for a year before he heads off to maybe MLS

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
We're not going to be signing people on free transfers. We're freaking Man United, we're gonna be spending lots of money. Flipping heck.
Ridiculous angle for several reasons. Why won't we sign someone on a free? We did last summer and it worked out pretty well. We also don't know who the owners will be. The Glazers could literally make no money available if they're still here.

croadyman

Ridiculous angle for several reasons. Why won't we sign someone on a free? We did last summer and it worked out pretty well. We also don't know who the owners will be. The Glazers could literally make no money available if they're still here.
Yeah only need to look at free transfer list to see there are some shrewd deals to be made

croadyman

We should be looking at Marco Asensio as his contract expires this summer. I know he's not very popular on here, but he's getting closer to where he was before going downhill. Very versatile player, and can play as backup to Bruno, CM or right winger as he often does for Real Madrid. I can imagine them wanting to renew him, but not sure he's willing to be playing as little as he is currently (880 mins in La Liga). 6 goals and 4 assists in those minutes, which is pretty good.
Wouldn't have him above N'dicka/Thuram in terms of priority free agents,however also not against it either. Only thing is it would affect opportunities for Amad/Pellistri to stake a claim