French Elections 2017

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Latest poll 64% Fillon 36% Le Pen on the 2nd round vote.
Fortunately the french system makes a surprise result less likely.

Btw in my personal experience I have yet to meet one single French person that thinks Brexit is good for the UK or that Trump is good for the USA.
Interestingly despite some of their far-right parties doing well, a lot of Europeans countries seem to be very positive towards the EU...or at least if not positive, certainly against the idea of leaving. In Austria, for example, Hofer pretty much had to tell Farage to shut up about the possibly of Austria having a referendum, since it'd damage Hofer's chances.

Paul the Wolf

Score Predictions Competition Organiser
France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
So what do they think IS good for france?
Think on the whole they're just fed up with politicians in general.

Interestingly despite some of their far-right parties doing well, a lot of Europeans countries seem to be very positive towards the EU...or at least if not positive, certainly against the idea of leaving. In Austria, for example, Hofer pretty much had to tell Farage to shut up about the possibly of Austria having a referendum, since it'd damage Hofer's chances.
France is very proud of its heritage , culture etc but I believe they realise the EU is a benefit for the country.
With regards immigration, never sensed any real anti-European immigration feeling although there is an anti-immigration against certain others.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Think on the whole they're just fed up with politicians in general.

France is very proud of its heritage , culture etc but I believe they realise the EU is a benefit for the country.
With regards immigration, never sensed any real anti-European immigration feeling although there is an anti-immigration against certain others.
Yeah, it'd be fairly silly for France to be against immigration with similar, neighbouring EU countries - they'd be incredibly insular if they headed down such a path.

Their main problem, as with many, seems to be with the integration of Muslims, especially since they've been hit hard with numerous terrorist attacks in the past couple of years. Someone like Le Pen's an alternative to that, due to them being tired of politicians as you say, but even if she gets in I'd say her most worrying stance is her having a hard-on for Vlad so big she makes Trump look like his biggest opponent by comparison.

Domestically she'd probably just be a bit more hardline than Fillion will be and if she didn't make any notable improvements would be booted out again in a few years - the French seem to love a healthy distrust of their politicians in general, re Hollande, Sarkozy and others.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not every body. Salvini doesn't like the EU. There again Salvini has as much IQ, work experience and qualifications as Farage has.

Its becoming evident what Trump is aiming at. He's a man who made a fortune not paying people who are too weak to go toe to toe against him. His idea is to do the same at a political level but to achieve that he needs the financial superpowers to be broken and countries to become isolated. No wonder why he prefers bilateral deals rather then deals like TTP. Its easier to take down a single country (ex the UK) then an entire group of nations whose working together

Paul the Wolf

Yeah, it'd be fairly silly for France to be against immigration with similar, neighbouring EU countries - they'd be incredibly insular if they headed down such a path.

Their main problem, as with many, seems to be with the integration of Muslims, especially since they've been hit hard with numerous terrorist attacks in the past couple of years. Someone like Le Pen's an alternative to that, due to them being tired of politicians as you say, but even if she gets in I'd say her most worrying stance is her having a hard-on for Vlad so big she makes Trump look like his biggest opponent by comparison.

Domestically she'd probably just be a bit more hardline than Fillion will be and if she didn't make any notable improvements would be booted out again in a few years - the French seem to love a healthy distrust of their politicians in general, re Hollande, Sarkozy and others.
Without the Russians Le Pen would struggle to have a campaign. She is clueless regarding economic matters. If it was a first past the post race she would have a good chance of winning, but with a run-off between the last two, don't see how she could win, even in these bizarre political times.
Trump and Putin would both love the EU to break up. Divide and conquer. The Uk have been daft enough to fall for it, hopefully the rest of Europe won't be.

Paul the Wolf

I work with a few and they seem to be sick of what seems a production line of idiots running the country, must be scared of something different.

I will ask them tomorrow why they are here and not there.
Yes but, what politicians anywhere aren't in it for their own personal gain, very few are in it for the good of the people.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Are you sure? Their political platform seems quite close.
Mélenchon was in the same party but since he is cnut, he was left aside by the "elephant" of the party. Since then his mission is to destroy the PS by being the left side Le Pen.

JPRouve

Scout

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Does make you realise how close a President Le Pen could be if a major scandal occurred between the first round and the run-off.

Charlie Foley

So what do they think IS good for france?
Somewhere in between I imagine? There's a lot of ground between Hollande and the Brexit/Trump crowd. Also don't forget he was losing to DSK before that New York incident.

Also, "anyone anti Brussels" is an especially dangerous card in this race. Le Pen might have managed to somewhat sanitize (I guess that's the best word, @JPRouve I want to reverse demonise/diaboliser-we used to say de-diaboliser but it's made up I think- and lionise or deify seems too strong, maybe deify is appropriate given the religious emphasis and connotations often used) the party in the public eye but their dialogue is just a continuation of fascist and extreme right language and sentiment seen with her father, Pétain, Maurras, Barrès etc.

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Does make you realise how close a President Le Pen could be if a major scandal occurred between the first round and the run-off.
Or yet another politician with something to hide might get in power.

These people need to make themselves whiter than white if they are ever to run for anything.

Ubik

Has their been much blowback for Fillon on the wife stuff, or has it passed by already?

JPRouve

Scout
Has their been much blowback for Fillon on the wife stuff, or has it passed by already?
They are still talking about it and there is an investigation.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Or yet another politician with something to hide might get in power.

These people need to make themselves whiter than white if they are ever to run for anything.
And Trump, Farage, Le Pen fit that description?

(Though some of their policies might be described exactly like that...)

Ubik

They are still talking about it and there is an investigation.
Next polls will be interesting then, shit-the-bed time if Le Pen benefits most.

JPRouve

Scout
And Trump, Farage, Le Pen fit that description?

(Though some of their policies might be described exactly like that...)
Funnily enough Le Pen has a bigger case of the same crime with up to 20 people involved.

Ubik

Latest Poll today:
Presidential first round: Le Pen 25%, Fillon 22%, Macron 21%, Hamon 15%, Mélenchon 10%

Presidential 2nd round: Fillon 60% v Le Pen 40% - Macron 58% v Fillon 42% - Macron 65% v Le Pen 35%
Hamon's jumped up a lot since last time, I suppose being the lead candidate has changed things a bit.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Question to the French residents: Can you point a French article to me that describes Hamon's aim 'to tax robots'?

I didn't know much about Hamon and found now quite a lot of websites in English that described his stance on almost everthing but all failed to give a bit more background on this robot tax thing. Seems I have to get my rusty French back in action and would appreciate it if you have a link that is not to Hamon's own glossy website. Many thanks!

JPRouve

Scout
Question to the French residents: Can you point a French article to me that describes Hamon's aim 'to tax robots'?

I didn't know much about Hamon and found now quite a lot of websites in English that described his stance on almost everthing but all failed to give a bit more background on this robot tax thing. Seems I have to get my rusty French back in action and would appreciate it if you have a link that is not to Hamon's own glossy website. Many thanks!
http://www.challenges.fr/election-p...hamon-tue-l-idee-d-un-revenu-universel_448968

JPRouve

Scout
Do you mean the €300,000 she's required to pay back to the EU because the two aides she hired did not work for her as MEP but as FN leader?

Thanks!
She has 14 investigations from the public treasury, for the moment she owes 3m and almost half of her revenue are seized.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
My German's just as rusty:)
I need to get beyond the vocabulary and grammar used in transfer (rumor) stories of L'Equipe, L'Ouest etc. :wenger:

I wasn't aware that Le Pen has so many financial affairs. She's not necessarily the one capitalizing on Fillon's potential Penelope-gate then, is she?

Just heard the fresh allegations of Canard Enchaîné towards Fillon. Do you guys think it is possible that he'll step back at some point? I read somewhere Juppé wouldn't run in such a case, Sarkozy would lose anyway, so who would be left for the French Republicans and more importantly, how would a candidate be determined?

Last edited: