Frenkie de Jong - Part 2 - Chase Harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshManc

This guy is my dream signing but I don't think it will ever happen. Barca are his dream club and he seems to have won over Xavi.

ti vu

Unstated in that video but Odegaard obviously arrived at Arsenal (initially) on loan and then in a mid-price deal from a different league. It's very clear that we need someone who can break the lines both with dribbling and short/medium passes under pressure, as well as established competition for Bruno. We could alternate with dribbing and short passing-focused 10s like Sancho and Amad, but that still leaves us with the issue of an 8 who's sufficiently mobile and able to both control and quick transition. In the absence of Iqbal and Mainoo stepping up in the next couple of years to that level - which would be unfair to expect - who could we get with that profile. I've seen Madrid linked with Sucic or Majer - would either of those players substitute for De Jong ?
Majer's role is more like young Modric. A playmaker playing closer to forwards. He can dribble, but not comfortably dropping deep to build up with the defenders. I don't think he has the potential to become a world class player, or to make a transition to CM like Modric.

Sucic from the little I see is kinda special, too but different. FdJ has the mentality of recycling possession, take control of the game more, even if it means he drop into the defense. Sucic can dribble, carry the ball well too but he's more of a Kroos type, that he loves a crossfield pass, and take a pop at goal than going for control. Doesn't feel Sucic do the running, and tackle as much as FdJ does in defensive phase. Another Kroos similarity. Also Sucic maybe just a project player right now though. Not sure he can hit the ground running with all the adaption. A great prospect to pick up if possible, but unlikely seeing RM Modric connection and ambition to be Kroos' direct replacement.

Last edited:

CM

If there's any chance of convincing de Jong to join in the summer he would still be the player I'd pursue. If not him it has to be a player who shares similar traits but I can't think of anyone of that profile who is as good or might be available in the summer. One of the better alternatives would be someone like Kovacic but I doubt Chelsea would want to sell to us and he's approaching the dreaded 30(!)

The fact that we got as far as agreeing a fee with Barcelona last summer shows there is (was) encouragement from their side to do the deal, at least. It's a different story if there's no interest whatsoever from the player's side but I'd be surprised if ten Hag was courting him for the majority of last summer if there wasn't even a remote possibility of the transfer going through.

dinostar77

If there's any chance of convincing de Jong to join in the summer he would still be the player I'd pursue. If not him it has to be a player who shares similar traits but I can't think of anyone of that profile who is as good or might be available in the summer. One of the better alternatives would be someone like Kovacic but I doubt Chelsea would want to sell to us and he's approaching the dreaded 30(!)

The fact that we got as far as agreeing a fee with Barcelona last summer shows there is (was) encouragement from their side to do the deal, at least. It's a different story if there's no interest whatsoever from the player's side but I'd be surprised if ten Hag was courting him for the majority of last summer if there wasn't even a remote possibility of the transfer going through.
Hes a free agent this summer. So theres a chance if ETH did want him there wouldnt be a fee to pay.

dinostar77

A random thought, if you cant get frenkie and need an alternative, would you favour a midfielder who likes to operate in the right half space rather than the left half space?

Left half space is favoured by bruno and rashford. Hence bruno has 4 assists this season for rashford through that left half space.

Whereas we dont tend to get many goals or assists through the right half space where antony likes to cut in and operate.

Someone like nicolas barella (very different profile to Frenkie, more of a ball winner) who prefers the right half space could link up well with antony. Also as antony needs an overlapping right back to get the best out of him. Someone like barella would be an insurance policy if antony and said right back got caught up field.

Just a thought.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Can he be as good as prime Modric?
I think so, but in a slightly different way. His long passing has improved a lot, like you can see in the Sevilla goal (and an earlier assist on Raphinha), but they're still different types of players. Frenkie will be more of a carrier.

Also, he beat prime Modric back in 2019, I guess, though one game doesn't make a season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We signed De Jong in my dream last night snd it felt so real at the time :(

Fahad Jawaid

I think last season was our chance to sign him, now it appears he has established himself as the first choice player, which was expected with his talent. It will all depend how willing Barca are willing to sell him, but even then as we saw last summer, he was not interested in moving, so despite agreeing a fee for him, we could not get him over the line.

Its surprising there is not a single player in the world closer to his style of play and be just as good. Maybe somebody in Brazil or Argentina, after all only what 9 months ago Benfica bought Enzo, so there will be gems like him, we just need to scout properly.

surf

He's absolutely the player we need to partner Casemiro (and can play Casemiro's role when he misses a game). ETH is right about that. But it's hard to see it happening and it's no good having a player who doesn't want to be here.

Have to wait and see what the Qataris have up their sleeve. ;)

next_number_seven

I actually bumped in to him after the Real Sociedad game in San Sebastian. He was with his girlfriend. I'm not kidding

NYAS

How does his passing and playmaking compare to Eriksen? I’m aware of his press-resistance and dribbling ability.

Red-17

I think last season was our chance to sign him, now it appears he has established himself as the first choice player, which was expected with his talent. It will all depend how willing Barca are willing to sell him, but even then as we saw last summer, he was not interested in moving, so despite agreeing a fee for him, we could not get him over the line.

Its surprising there is not a single player in the world closer to his style of play and be just as good. Maybe somebody in Brazil or Argentina, after all only what 9 months ago Benfica bought Enzo, so there will be gems like him, we just need to scout properly.
Agree, and we are in a position right now where we don't need someone who is necessarily a first choice option right off the bat. Eriksen is more than good enough to be our starter next season as long as we have adequate backup options who can deputize for him. I would be fine with us going for someone who is cheaper (hopefully) in that 19-21 year old age and not yet at a top side given that we likely will be spending big money on a striker this summer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
How does his passing and playmaking compare to Eriksen? I’m aware of his press-resistance and dribbling ability.
I'd say it's inferior, but he has the potential to up his game.

Eriksen's final ball is WC but he started out as an attacking mid so it's only Natural that it's where his forte lies.

ti vu

Eriksen is superior because most of his career he made his trade by being an attacking play maker.

I would even say Eriksen delivery edges Modric, and Kroos. Both also came from a more advanced position before transiting into deeper midfielder player.

FdJ is the most natural between players in discussion in playing closer, between defenders. Taking the ball directly from GK and imitate passing, movement, carry it into attacking phase. That is something very few player possess, or able to develop overtime. Busquet used to be the best at it (not great with running with the ball due to his lack of pace), but he's getting worse. Casemiro for all his great attribute, is not comparable.

Last edited:

croadyman

A random thought, if you cant get frenkie and need an alternative, would you favour a midfielder who likes to operate in the right half space rather than the left half space?

Left half space is favoured by bruno and rashford. Hence bruno has 4 assists this season for rashford through that left half space.

Whereas we dont tend to get many goals or assists through the right half space where antony likes to cut in and operate.

Someone like nicolas barella (very different profile to Frenkie, more of a ball winner) who prefers the right half space could link up well with antony. Also as antony needs an overlapping right back to get the best out of him. Someone like barella would be an insurance policy if antony and said right back got caught up field.

Just a thought.
Yeah Barella is an interesting shout,looking very much like we will have to find a different profile to De Jong because no one else has that dribbling ability through midfield

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
I actually think FDJ + Casemiro is too defensive. I mean sure he's comfortable under pressure and can receive the ball from defenders, and carry the ball. But his passing is not very incisive and he doesn't control a game in the way Eriksen would. What happens when teams sit back against Casemiro and Fdj with Bruno at 10?

I actually think FDJ + Casemiro is too defensive. I mean sure he's comfortable under pressure and can receive the ball from defenders, and carry the ball. But his passing is not very incisive and he doesn't control a game in the way Eriksen would. What happens when teams sit back against Casemiro and Fdj with Bruno at 10?
We bring on Eriksen for the second half :confused:

We won’t be signing FdJ now he’s won over Xavi, but in the event we did, Eriksen doesn’t just cease to exist.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The way he just dribbles through an entire midfield from his own box is mental. It looks so easy.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Don’t play Bruno at 10…

mav_9me

If Kovacic wanted to leave to us, I think they would. He would be a great alternative to FDJ. In fact I'd rather say Osihmen and Kovacic than a cheaper striker and FDJ.

mav_9me

Just a thought.
He would be awesome too but these Italians rarely leave.

croadyman

If Kovacic wanted to leave to us, I think they would. He would be a great alternative to FDJ. In fact I'd rather say Osihmen and Kovacic than a cheaper striker and FDJ.
Would they sell a third midfielder to us

Teja

I think Barella would be a replacement for Bruno rather than Eriksen. And we have been quite good from the right half space with Bruno drifting wide. He does that typical KdB third man run these days quite a bit.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He would be awesome too but these Italians rarely leave.
Well with the qataris as owners everything would be possible. Barella is a fantastic player and considering his surname it would be the perfect signing to bring home while Jones is going the other way. Maybe we can ask him to carry Phil out of the door

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He was a turtle,
She was a hamster,
Can I make it any more obvious?

He played football,
She did feck all
What more can we tell?

He wanted Eccles
She'd never move
Secretly she wanted Vimto too,

But all of her friends
Stuck up their kecks
They had a problem with his baggy neck

He was a Ten Hag boy
She said, "See you later, boy"
He wasn't good enough for her
She had a pretty face
But he could attack the space
And Casemiro's hamster face is cuter

*Shit guitar solo played on broken two string ukelele*
He was a simping boy
She said take my bench back boy
He begged Pique to no avail

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
The moment has passed.. He is on the verge of reaching his final form in Barcelona right now, they will not let him go anymore..

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You were everything, everything that Hag wanted (that I wanted)
It was meant to be, supposed to be, but we lost it (we lost it)
And all of the memories, of muppet trains just fade away
All this time you were pretending
Forced us into Over spending
Oh oh oh
So much for my happy ending……

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.