Frenkie De Jong - Part 3?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would have very little faith and confidence in United's fancy new regime if this deal were to go ahead, which is unlikely to be honest.

Shark

@NotShark
So all of our woes will magically disappear if we sign this guy and we'll play like Ajax at long last? If that's INEOS main plan this summer we're very very fecked.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
I very much doubt we are in for Bruno, Barca don't have much to spend and the majority of what we do have will be used on a DM we desperately lack. Club clearly want to sell but it has to be for a fee, the main obstacle as always though is the player seemingly has no intention of leaving.

Frenkie really disappointed me this season tbh, the expectation was he'd make the midfield his own when Busquets left but he's regressed and shown his defensive frailties on so many occasions. Don't think United really need him all that much now with Mainoo either.

bitcoin

FDJ has (reportedly) already refused to come here twice - why should we offer him another opportunity?

I would absolutely not be interested in a player who comes here half-hearted (Angel di Maria anyone?) - especially not for our best player.

OsloRed

The manager just literally said if he had FDJ we would have been able to play like Ajax. Which proves there is no system at all.
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you were refering to a new "INEOS" system being implemented.

OsloRed

No, sorry, I was referring to the managers torrent of excuses in the latest interview.
That makes more sense. I'm just so used to people criticising the new ownership based on rumours before most of the new hires are even in place. What ten Hag is trying to do becomes harder and harder to see each passing day.

hobbers

Assuming we'd only sign him if ETH was staying.

So maybe more people might start to twig to the danger of giving ETH another season. When we're paying FdJ 400k a week and wondering why he's playing like a downgrade on Mainoo.

pascell

Systematically it makes sense, but what does not make sense is replacing Bruno who is always fit with de Jong who has had quite a few injuries the past few seasons.

Counterfactual

That makes more sense. I'm just so used to people criticising the new ownership based on rumours before most of the new hires are even in place. What ten Hag is trying to do becomes harder and harder to see each passing day.
I'm not sure he knows anymore. He seems shell-shocked by this season.

OsloRed

I'm not sure he knows anymore. He seems shell-shocked by this season.
Tbf, all he has had to deal with this season has been pretty insane. He hasn't dealt with it in the best possible way, but I do understand him feeling hard done by and wanting to defend himself. It has just gone to far at this point I feel

spiriticon

I really don't understand why we have a hard on for system players every year when we have no system to play them in.

miked99

I don't think this guys game would be suited to the PL at all. He did a good impression of the invisible man in the two games we had with them last year.

Aside from that, he's shown as clearly as can be that he doesn't want to come here. So if he did sign, it would just be for the money. We seriously need to move away from these kind of signings, it's the absolute opposite of what we should be doing.

Red Royal

FdJ is the kind of mistake signing we should avoid. I don't mean his skill level, he may or may not fit in, jury is out.
However he doesn't want to be at United and would be here for a massive salary and we would no doubt overpay. Removing Bruno (which I think we eventually will have to) for de Jong would be a crazy move, despite any of Bruno’s faults he gives 100%.
Plus isn't FdJ currently injured.

I am hoping this is just the silly season transfer chatter.

Rojofiam

He's one of the best midfielders in the world, and this thread is debating whether he's good enough for us, or whether he can cut it in the PL...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Guys I don’t believe that tweet even for a second.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere either until he proves his fitness again after twisting his foot around in the opposite direction

tomaldinho1

He's one of the best midfielders in the world, and this thread is debating whether he's good enough for us, or whether he can cut it in the PL...
He'd walk into our midfield and immediately make us a vastly better team.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Id say the majority here are debating the reliability of the source of this bid, the idea of swapping our best offensive player and the strong likelihood that, once again, if the player in question would actually want to join us in the first place.

Oldyella

So was Veron. And he couldn't cut it. Despite being surrounded by far better players than fdj would be.

hobbers

Guys I don’t believe that tweet even for a second.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere either until he proves his fitness again after twisting his foot around in the opposite direction
According to Barca it was just a sprain.

Find that very hard to believe.

So did Di Maria and Casemiro. For a very limited time.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Brought to you by the same guys that broke the stories of Tchouameni to Liverpool, Kante to Liverpool, Firmino to Real Madrid, Hazard to Newcastle, Jordi Alba to Napoli, Dalot to Real Madrid, Griezmann to United etc etc

I'd believe the Daily Star before Nacional.

Rojofiam

I agree.

He's someone you can't really upgrade on as well considering his role and profile. That's the type of elite talent we need to be hoarding if we want to reach City's level, because we won't find a better manager than Pep.

If we can acquire these creme de la creme talents that suit the squad and the way we want to play, we will be going somewhere. We can't just resort to finding unknown gems for cheap under Ineos, just because big names haven't worked out in the past, whilst the likes of Rice, Bellingham, Haaland, Gvardiol, Camavinga, Tchouaméni, etc. join your rivals or other big clubs. Our transfer policy has to be a mixture of different sorts of deals.

Last edited: