Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

Can someone who is an expert in Spanish contractual law explain to me how this works? This is very different from how contracts work where I am from.
50 percent is the legal limit allowed. If he stays he’ll be asked to cut it again next season imo

Infestissumam

no matter if this happens or not, I sincerely hope that joke of a club goes belly up in the near future. Lost every bit of respect for them I once had.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
50 percent is the legal limit allowed. If he stays he’ll be asked to cut it again next season imo
I thought that was proven to be nonsense and just something that came out to 'protect' Messi and stuck?

House Mkhitaryan

You are expecting to find an expert in Spanish contract law on a Man Utd forum..?
Eh, I was mostly just being facetious. But I am generally perplexed why the Spanish press is reporting that he needs to take a pay cut to stay or anyone is taking it seriously. As I understand it, he has a 4-year contract and he doesn't have to take any pay cut at all to stay.

redIndianDevil

no matter if this happens or not, I sincerely hope that joke of a club goes belly up in the near future. Lost every bit of respect for them I once had.
What’s more baffling is players still going gaga over playing for them. It’s Kounde now who is opting for Barcelona over Chelsea.

Indy_Red

If he takes a pay cut and rights off the wages owed they will just sell him next year thus avoiding the payout, if he cannot see this then more fool him

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Barca are trying to have their cake and eat it. If you want him out then transfer list Frenkie.

The reason they won’t do that, is that they know that then there is feck all chance he gives up any of his wages. They're trying to hound him out whilst getting him to give up his wages. Shameless cnuts!

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Gary is right but this should be up to Frenkie’s agent - he should have his clients best interests. Imagine Riola putting up with this sort of nonsense?
His agents are bunch of spineless idiots, as must as I disliked Raiola he won't accept this for any of his client.

Gandalf

His agents are bunch of spineless idiots, as must as I disliked Raiola he won't accept this for any of his client.
I am surprised by the agents in general in relation to what is happening at Barca. Frenkie is just the latest player to get this treatment, last season players were told they had to take pay cuts and it was implicitly stated that this needed to be done to re-sign Messi but once they agreed to the cuts Barca said oops sorry still can't afford him and let him go. I think Memphis was asked to reduce his salary weeks after signing and that was even after taking less to go to Barca than other clubs were offering.

Agents must lose money in these situations too and they are there to protect their clients. Surely there has to be a tipping point where the more powerful agents would consider uniting and telling Barca to cut out this shit or they will blackball them. You would think the clubs that are still owed money from previous transfers would also be kicking off watching Barca blow a fortune on yet more new players.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Realistically what are the chances that Barca just say "screw it" and let him stay on his current terms? I'd say slim to none personally.

I think it's clear he doesn't want to take a pay cut, his preference is obviously to stay, but thats looking unlikely too as it seems Barca are planning to move on without him
"Let him stay on his current terms"? He's got a contract, if he wants to stay on his current terms there's literally zero that Barca can do about it.

Superunknown

Centre back on the pitch, washing the dishes and doing the laundry off it. Bet they'll be making him live in a cupboard under one of the stands, too.

Mes que un club. :drool:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Barca are trying to have their cake and eat it. If you want him out then transfer list Frenkie.

The reason they won’t do that, is that they know that then there is feck all chance he gives up any of his wages. They're trying to hound him out whilst getting him to give up his wages. Shameless cnuts!
Is this right though?

I've seen different versions of the tale. Some people say he agreed to his wages being deferred. Other people say he actually renegotiated his contract so that his wage structure escalates every year, rather than being at the same consistent level over five years.

If he agreed to change the payment schedule of his wages then he's not owed anything, really. Not if he agrees to leave before the contract was due to be completed, which is what we want him to do.

Ultimately, I think (and hope) Barcelona will just make it clear to him that he needs to go. I think he'd be great at Man Utd. However, this whole situation is so messy.

city-puma

I'm sure Barca's team of lawyers know what they're doing to keep them out of trouble. I'd agree with the moral part, but what the hell is Frenkies agent doing letting him sign a contract where this was possible in the first place? What do players pay agents for if not to protect themselves from this sort of thing?
But he is protected by his contract. That’s why Barca has kept making all the noises and misinformation through their propaganda machines but has no leverage at all. Forfeit the deferred pay or take 50% cut? No one will take it.

city-puma

Eh, I was mostly just being facetious. But I am generally perplexed why the Spanish press is reporting that he needs to take a pay cut to stay or anyone is taking it seriously. As I understand it, he has a 4-year contract and he doesn't have to take any pay cut at all to stay.
Exactly. But some are truly affected by that shit argument. Interesting.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Is this right though?

I've seen different versions of the tale. Some people say he agreed to his wages being deferred. Other people say he actually renegotiated his contract so that his wage structure escalates every year, rather than being at the same consistent level over five years.

If he agreed to change the payment schedule of his wages then he's not owed anything, really. Not if he agrees to leave before the contract was due to be completed, which is what we want him to do.

Ultimately, I think (and hope) Barcelona will just make it clear to him that he needs to go. I think he'd be great at Man Utd. However, this whole situation is so messy.
It's how a lot of poor employers operate, isn't it? Staff get "let go" just before they'd be entitled to sick pay and other benefits, even though their performance is absolutely fine.

bazza3727

Gary Neville needs to check - perhaps Frenkie hasn't been able to keep up his Union subs while he's been on reduced money?

It's how a lot of poor employers operate, isn't it? Staff get "let go" just before they'd be entitled to sick pay and other benefits, even though their performance is absolutely fine.
Yeah. For a club that markets itself as mes que un club, Barcelona has always been pretty brutal when getting rid of players. I still remember how the likes of Luiz Ronaldo and Michael Laudrup left Barcelona. When they don't want you anymore they let you know.

However, I guess what I'm trying to understand is what the hold up is.

city-puma

Yeah. For a club that markets itself as mes que un club, Barcelona has always been pretty brutal when getting rid of players. I still remember how the likes of Luiz Ronaldo and Michael Laudrup left Barcelona. When they don't want you anymore they let you know.

However, I guess what I'm trying to understand is what the hold up is.
You only need to know he has a contract with them. Barca cannot single-sidedly terminate that contract.

You only need to know he has a contract with them. Barca cannot single-sidedly terminate that contract.
Not without paying termination fees, which of course Barcelona won't.

Its starting to look more and more obvious that Bernardo Silva won't go to Barcelona. So maybe there actually is a space in the squad for De Jong?

Are we looking at a situation where Barcelona will have to freeze the guy out and force him to consider moving? If so, its hard to see how this is resolved before September. Much as I hope it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.