Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone

Something
I think we should of moved on two weeks ago. I want players that want to play Utd. De Jong does not want to play here and we should make Barcelona suffer aswell. Lets move on the Tielemans or Neves. Both players we know would improve us and have played and stared in the Premiership
How do you know that he doesn't want to play for United?

People need to understand that it's so easy for him to push United away from this deal. A simple phone call from his agent to us would end it completely, or even a public statement that he intends to stay.

His current stance is so simple and so clear, if he pushes for a move he gets nothing, but by not pushing for a move he makes it clear that he's going to get his money either way, and that he isn't afraid to stay.

Barca on the other hand can't afford to keep him, so they're making it clear that they want him gone, and that if he stays he'll be a CB backup. The pressure from Barca will increase every day.

It's just a case of who blinks first, and will probably end up in a compromise from bother parties.

edcunited1878

Frenkie is stagnating before a World Cup in 4 months.

He's not first choice at his best position (Busquets) and he's in steep competition if not outside of the starting XI for any advanced central midfield roles. And obviously, he's not a CB for Barca or Holland. If he sticks it out with Barca getting his wages but not being utlizied to his optimal level or even trying to, he's being very content. Outside an injury to Busquets, who also needs to be playing well and be fit for the World Cup, FdJ doesn't have an immediate future at Barca as a first choice player. That's an expensive ass player to be rotational.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

He's not first choice at his best position (Busquets) and he's in steep competition if not outside of the starting XI for any advanced central midfield roles. And obviously, he's not a CB for Barca or Holland. If he sticks it out with Barca getting his wages but not being utlizied to his optimal level or even trying to, he's being very content. Outside an injury to Busquets, who also needs to be playing well and be fit for the World Cup, FdJ doesn't have an immediate future at Barca as a first choice player. That's an expensive ass player to be rotational.
I don't consider Busquets position his best, to be honest. He doesn't work in their system because he works better in a double-pivot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't consider Busquets position his best, to be honest. He doesn't work in their system because he works better in a double-pivot.
It's his best position but it's a different role. And he is as good in a midfield three.

AlexUTD

This is part of Barcas tactic,its a game of chicken,a matter of who blinks first.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Spot on. He needs to play in a double-pivot which is a major reason Xavi sees him as expendable. Had Gavi and Pedri not emerged, we could of tried a formation that suits him but at this point his performances don't really warrant it. I've seen peoples lineups on here putting him as the lone DM, luckily for you ten Hag knows his best position ;)

MF1138

I'm not missing the point, I answered to a post claiming that it was ridiculous to suggest that De Jong staying was a reasonable outcome when it's in fact the only outcome guarantees him to get his money. At no point did I suggest that it was the most likely, I said that it was the most logical from his point of view which negates the idea that it's unreasonable or ridiculous.

There is more than one logical outcome.
If he stays on the same terms that he's on now, then they have to pay him the 17million on top of whatever other wages he gets. As you say they can't force him to reduce his wage and bonus rights, so yes he's likely to stay unless Barcelona give into his demands.

But then it goes to what Barcelona are more likely to do. Either, keep a player they don't want/need, a player they've spent the summer trying to force out and make unpopular with the fans, on a prohibitively expensive contract... or bite the bullet pay the extra money they tried to swindle him out of and take the transfer fee and money saved on the rest of his wages. If they were in a financial position to eat it to prove a point they might but right now they have very little real choice. They will either give into his demands or a compromise will be reached.

Barcelona are trying to bluff at poker when everyone knows their hand.

Reactions: Fortitude

croadyman

What I think will happen is that all three sides will compromise - Frankie will take only a part of defferred wages owed (e.g. 10 million) which will be paid partly by us and partly by Barcelona.
Doesn't seem any sign of that happening

edcunited1878

This is part of Barcas tactic,its a game of chicken,a matter of who blinks first.
FdJ staying would be crippling for Barca as they will have an inability to register players and cannot comply with La Liga's FFP. They know this. On the other hand, FdJ is limiting his playing time and sharpness for the World Cup. It's such a wild situation where both sides are at fault for different, yet neglectful reasons.

croadyman

FdJ staying would be crippling for Barca as they will have an inability to register players and cannot comply with La Liga's FFP. They know this. On the other hand, FdJ is limiting his playing time and sharpness for the World Cup. It's such a wild situation where both sides are at fault for different, yet neglectful reasons.
Yeah I keep thinking sooner or later something has gotta give with this saga

JPRouve

Scout
If he stays on the same terms that he's on now, then they have to pay him the 17million on top of whatever other wages he gets. As you say they can't force him to reduce his wage and bonus rights, so yes he's likely to stay unless Barcelona give into his demands.

But then it goes to what Barcelona are more likely to do. Either, keep a player they don't want/need, a player they've spent the summer trying to force out and make unpopular with the fans, on a prohibitively expensive contract... or bite the bullet pay the extra money they tried to swindle him out of and take the transfer fee and money saved on the rest of his wages. If they were in a financial position to eat it to prove a point they might but right now they have very little real choice. They will either give into his demands or a compromise will be reached.

Barcelona are trying to bluff at poker when everyone knows their hand.
And that's why your previous statement made little sense, you clearly see that there is at least two logical outcomes. And Barcelona need to sell players regardless of De Jong, with Koundé they have 26 senior players, the limit is 25, we know that Mingueza, Memphis, Braithwaite, Umtiti and De Jong, the press is also talking about De Jong.

While I do think that De Jong is likely to leave because it's very convenient for Barcelona, too many people are seemingly ignoring the fact that they could keep him one more year if they sell most of the players they want and need to sell. Registering players or their FFP issues aren't exclusively solved by De Jong, it's just the largest asset and biggest chunk to get rid of, it would be nice for them to be rid of it but it's not imperative this summer.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
So how does he get his money then Rob care to give us your suggestions on that
We’ll it certainly more plausible than FDJ choosing Chelsea over United. The fact is that FDJ and ETH are very very close and it’s ridiculous to think that United would be chasing if FDJ didn’t want to sign for United. It’s also implausible to think that FDJ and ETH aren’t in direct contact knowing how close they are. So it’s worth putting some more muppet fuel on the fire and on to the next 1,000 pages!

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
La liga s FFP won't do anything.They will give them liverage something like extend the time to comply but will allow to register their players this window.

Gandalf

They don't need a loophole, they can sell a couple of other player. De Jong simply happens to be the most convenient.
Technically true but they need to sell a lot of other players and most of the names in the list are getting less interest than Ronaldo from Bayern right now. So far only Christensen has actually been registered so they still needed to free up room for Kessie, Lewa and Raphina and now you have to add Kounde to that list plus they are now planning to buy Azpi. Depay is on a pretty modest wage by their standards and has some resale value but after that it is really the dregs of their roster and it is tough to see them shifting any of them. Barca is like some crazy ponzi scheme right now, it is so hard to see how they avoid crashing spectacularly in the near future with this behaviour.

JPRouve

Scout
La liga s FFP won't do anything.They will give them liverage something like extend the time to comply but will allow to register their players this window.
They didn't in the past and have no reason to do it this summer. Now Barcelona can fix their short term issues by simply selling the extra players that they have, that are on relatively large wages and won't play.

JPRouve

Scout
Technically true but they need to sell a lot of other players and most of the names in the list are getting less interest than Ronaldo from Bayern right now. So far only Christensen has actually been registered so they still needed to free up room for Kessie, Lewa and Raphina and now you have to add Kounde to that list plus they are now planning to buy Azpi. Depay is on a pretty modest wage by their standards and has some resale value but after that it is really the dregs of their roster and it is tough to see them shifting any of them. Barca is like some crazy ponzi scheme right now, it is so hard to see how they avoid crashing spectacularly in the near future with this behaviour.
They will get rid of them, these are typical August transfers. Now even after selling them Barcelona will likely still try to sell De Jong, it will just give them more time.

lex talionis

Is it a stone cold fact that Barcelona cannot register their new signings unless they sell Frenkie?

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
If your wife is an African Elephant, then perhaps. They have the longest gestation period on planet Earth, at 645 days.
I bet @Alvaro Maestre didnt see this answer coming when he posed the question !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jokes aside, my wife asked me yesterday if I was ready for the baby, I told her that I would be fine waiting for another year. She told me she wasn't an elephant.

Status
Not open for further replies.