Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
The scenes when the Glazers take their dividends this Friday and neither De Jong or any other signing has been brought in. New era and all.
The ultimate PR spin is to release a new signing and bury the dividend news, but I suspect they'll be a bunch of positive PR about Ten Hag and new contracts or something instead

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The way I see it, either we sign FDJ or Barcelona are fecked even more than last year financially.

It's win-win either way.
This is why it will happen, and why we are being patient.

They need to sell to buy Lewandowski and whoever else they want to target.

They're trying to hard ball us into giving them what they want so they can get what they want.

Eventually it'll come down to who's more desperate. If we really show we are serious about walking away, then Barca will have no choice to accept what we think is fair.

IF they keep FDJ then they will end up having to pay him even more money this season. They just aren't in a position to hold back.

yamo123x

Apparently United Hierarchy are worried about overpaying in this market because we cant shift some of our most marketable assets on permanent details like MARTIAL, HENDERSON,AWB....

No wonder we are all in on Erikssen, poor show.

AndySmith1990

The way I see it, either we sign FDJ or Barcelona are fecked even more than last year financially.

It's win-win either way.
Barcelona being financially fecked isn't a win for us. It makes no difference to United and doesn't help our plight, it's just another excuse to laugh at another club, which seems to be our only source of entertainment lately

the_cliff

Barcelona being financially fecked isn't a win for us. It makes no difference to United and doesn't help our plight, it's just another excuse to laugh at another club, which seems to be our only source of entertainment lately
The sad thing is despite Barca being in financial ruin they still have a better squad than us. :lol: :lol:

Xavi considers FDJ surplus to requirements, he'd be our best midfielder.....

Pickle85

Surely you need evidence to prove things have changes unless you're being sarcastic?
Have you seen much of this poster? He has to be the most relentlessly depressing, negative poster on the Caf. Following united clearly causes him so much misery I'm amazed he does it at all.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The sad thing is despite Barca being in financial ruin they still have a better squad than us. :lol: :lol:

Xavi considers FDJ surplus to requirements, he'd be our best midfielder.....
Hang on.. There was post after post after post not long ago about how this won't happen because Xavi doesn't want him to leave.

the_cliff

Hang on.. There was post after post after post not long ago about how this won't happen because Xavi doesn't want him to leave.
It's been well known for a while that Xavi doesn't like playing De Jong in his preferred position (holding midfielder) He wants De Jong to receive the ball higher up the field and create, something De Jong has struggled with last season.

They have Pedri and Gavi for those positions and Kessie was recently signed on a free. If FDJ stays at Barca he'd be a rotational player.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Apparently United Hierarchy are worried about overpaying in this market because we cant shift some of our most marketable assets on permanent details like MARTIAL, HENDERSON,AWB....

What does all in on Eriksen mean - we are negotiating several targets including him

JJ12

It's been well known for a while that Xavi doesn't like playing De Jong in his preferred position (holding midfielder) He wants De Jong to receive the ball higher up the field and create, something De Jong has struggled with last season.

They have Pedri and Gavi for those positions and Kessie was recently signed on a free. If FDJ stays at Barca he'd be a rotational player.
De Jong wants to be a holding midfielder? Where’s that come from?

And like feck he’d be a rotational player :lol:

the_cliff

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

That's what happens when you give a massively overrated back-up keeper £100,000 a week.

Woodward has destroyed this club.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Complete and utter nonsense

JJ12

the_cliff

Was a genuine question - him being a rotational player was laughable though
I'm not saying he's a bad player. But in the position that Xavi plays him he has competition from Gavi, Pedri, Nico Gonzales and Kessie. Gavi and Pedri are world class talents in their own right and Spanish. If Barca need the money and see FDJ as a key player for them why not sell Gavi or Pedri ?

They'd probably fetch more than FDJ as they aren't on insane wages.

florisW

Supports
Ajax
I think @Rozay would play him off the left or as a false 9.

I think Bruno is well suited to playing as an 8.

De Jong's problem at Barca is that his best position is in the pivot, but Busquets - De Jong doesn't work well together.
De Jong + a destroyer would be a great, and with no destroyer being available at Barca, I kinda think LVG is right and playing in the pivot by himself is the next best thing.

It's sort of like judging Fred as the sole DM when that's clearly not his best position.
It is even worse. Busquets is playing on his position. Busquets is too slow but will not be taken out due to his status

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
So…not much changed since I was last in this thread.

Wont be signing until the second week of July (my prediction-even though I previously predicted he would go to City :lol: )

izec

We will sign him next week. This will drag on a bit this week and then next week we will find some conclusion.

Posh Red

I'm not saying he's a bad player. But in the position that Xavi plays him he has competition from Gavi, Pedri, Nico Gonzales and Kessie. Gavi and Pedri are world class talents in their own right and Spanish. If Barca need the money and see FDJ as a key player for them why not sell Gavi or Pedri ?

Surely the disparity in wages is a reason to retain the young Spaniards, rather than De Jong?

Baneofthegame

Why would they sell either when they are younger, on less wages, Spanish and have world class potential?

the_cliff

Surely the disparity in wages is a reason to retain the young Spaniards, rather than De Jong?
Why would they sell either when they are younger, on less wages, Spanish and have world class potential?
Which is exactly my point. Out of the 3 players FDJ is more disposable, hence why Xavi would rather get rid of him over anybody else.

Which goes back to my original point Xavi sees FDJ as the midfielder he can most get rid off that's how good his midfield is, meanwhile FDJ would automatically be our best midfielder.

You honestly think if he had our options in midfield he'd be willing to sell FDJ to us ? regardless of Barca's financial problems ?

Bojan Djordjic

Which is exactly my point. Out of the 3 players FDJ is more disposable, hence why Xavi would rather get rid of him over anybody else.

Which goes back to my original point Xavi sees FDJ as the midfielder he can most get rid off that's how good his midfield is, meanwhile FDJ would automatically be our best midfielder.

You honestly think if he had our options in midfield he'd be willing to sell FDJ to us ? regardless of Barca's financial problems ?
It's not a question of FdJ's value as a player though. He might still be Barca's best midfielder but he's also by far the most economically sensible player to sell as he'd not only attract a fairly large fee but would also release huge wages off the books. Pedri would obviously attract a large fee but is on relative peanuts you'd imagine and Gavi wouldn't attract much of a fee (think his contract expires soon) or release huge wages.

Woziak

What does all in on Eriksen mean - we are negotiating several targets including him
I think he means we are desperate for a win of some description, imagine No FDJ then Eriksen signs for Brentford, the meltdown on the cafe would be truly epic.

OpenIntrovert

Wrong comparison actually. Pedri and Gavi are more of attacking midfielders/forwards as compared to FDJ who is more all rounded.

FDJ was meant to be the replacement for Busquets but he is unable to immediately dislodge Busquets from there (player power and seniority wins). Thus, Xavi had to play him in a more advanced role (basically FDJ is playing Xavi's old role) where he focuses on recovering possession and creating play. Xavi would certainly want to keep FDJ since Busquets is getting older but in Barcelona's case, the financial situation overwrites the squad needs.

honirelandboy

Pedri ,22 appearances, Age 19, Spanish, 38,000 per week
Gavi, 47 appearance, Age 17, Spanish 2,000 per week.
De Jong 25, Appearance 46, Age 25, Dutch, 165,000 per week

De Jong is currently better than Pedri and Gavi and makes the most sense to move him on with two potential world class young Spanish midfielders on the rise been paid a fraction of De Jong's wages. De Jong is a world class midfielders and he's not been moved on because he is a worse player than Pedri and Gavi, your talking absolute nonsense. Barcelona need to raise some funds and De Jong seems the most logical to move on.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Just hope ETH can maximise what Frenkie has to offer. This capitulation will come at a cost.

Should have rung Matt Judge for help! ;)

CH23

Xavi would certainly want to keep FDJ since Busquets is getting older but in Barcelona's case, the financial situation overwrites the squad needs.
Not too different to our situation. The financial situation of filling the Glazers pockets overwrites the squad needs :D

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Wrong comparison actually. Pedri and Gavi are more of attacking midfielders/forwards as compared to FDJ who is more all rounded.

FDJ was meant to be the replacement for Busquets but he is unable to immediately dislodge Busquets from there (player power and seniority wins). Thus, Xavi had to play him in a more advanced role (basically FDJ is playing Xavi's old role) where he focuses on recovering possession and creating play. Xavi would certainly want to keep FDJ since Busquets is getting older but in Barcelona's case, the financial situation overwrites the squad needs.
Yes, but still They want to bring in other players? Ones that should be expensive too. Does de jongs wages really weigh up those? I cannot understand why replacing busquets in a soon future is not one of their main concerns. Maybe They fee de Jong would end up somewhere between this role and a more offensive anyways?

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We’re going into what will be one of the most competitive seasons to date. Spurs are doing good business and have an elite coach, arsenal are reinforcing heavily. There is only 1 top 4 spot up for grabs, we can’t afford a slow start to the season. It’s is vitally important we get our signings in and bedded in the team before the season starts.

Yet here we are postponing any other decision until this obsession with De Jong is ended. There is a valid reason to be concerned with the way things are at the moment. Our history doesn’t give us the confidence in this administration to be effective. You think the signings after FDJ are gonna be flying in? That’s gonna be another month of nonsense or 2 of nonsense.

FDJ would be a great signing, but I doubt he alone is going to make such a huge difference that we need to bank everything on him.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

We’re going into what will be one of the most competitive seasons to date. Spurs are doing good business and have an elite coach, arsenal are reinforcing heavily. There is only 1 top 4 spot up for grabs, we can’t afford a slow start to the season. It’s is vitally important we get our signings in and bedded in the team before the season starts.

Yet here we are postponing any other decision until this obsession with De Jong is ended. There is a valid reason to be concerned with the way things are at the moment. Our history doesn’t give us the confidence in this administration to be effective. You think the signings after FDJ are gonna be flying in? That’s gonna be another month of nonsense or 2 of nonsense.

FDJ would be a great signing, but I doubt he alone is going to make such a huge difference that we need to bank everything on him.
We do not have a midfield at all at the moment. To have one, Non-depending of the specific player, Will be a difference in itself.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Spurs doing good business ? Arsenal reinforcing heavily? The " Typical grass is always greener on the other side" paranoid.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

There are 4 top 4 slots up for grabs.

Also, ‘new signings’ is not the pre-requisite to starting the season well.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Pedri ,22 appearances, Age 19, Spanish, 38,000 per week
Gavi, 47 appearance, Age 17, Spanish 2,000 per week.
De Jong 25, Appearance 46, Age 25, Dutch, 165,000 per week

De Jong is currently better than Pedri and Gavi and makes the most sense to move him on with two potential world class young Spanish midfielders on the rise been paid a fraction of De Jong's wages. De Jong is a world class midfielders and he's not been moved on because he is a worse player than Pedri and Gavi, your talking absolute nonsense. Barcelona need to raise some funds and De Jong seems the most logical to move on.
De Jong's better player than Pedri is debatable to say the least, at least at Barcelona.

Pedri with the renovation should be at 150,000 gross per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.