Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suv666

He can join up with the team later you know, it's not just one flight that leaves today and that's it.
Hopefully this happens but the new Athletic report make it seem like this will go down the wire. He wouldn't be going on tour with Barca if this was getting resolved any time soon.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Am I right in thinking these Chelsea leaks didn't spread as wildly as Barca had hoped? Literally one paper, the Mail of all papers have caught on and all they're doing is quoting the reports in Spain and not any new info

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
People say w*** a*** there's plenty of other options, and then just mention bloody Neves and Tielemans :lol: god no.
Bloody Neves is quite good. Better than Tielemans.

rainey

Supports
DZG
Apparently they all died in the initial crash and were stuck in some kind of purgatory until they faced their demons and moved on. Or something like that.
Not to dwell off topic for too long but as a Lostie back in the day it's my nerd duty to intervene and say that ain't how it ended at all. Lost had its fair share of issues but it was great TV. For those that need reminding:
Everything that happened in regards to the island happened; it's just in season 6 they use the "flash forwards" to have people meet together in a sort of afterlife after all of them pass away eventually (some on the island, some way later of old age etc). It's not really *that* complicated of an ending but it's amazing how it whooshed past so many heads back then.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
People complaining about missing the tour, isn't it pretty normal that bigger transfers only get completed deep into the window? Haaland with his release clause is a different case, but which stars were ready for their new team's preseason tour?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We've seen with Van Gaal the effects of players joining late.
We’ve seen no such thing. If we sign De Jong, he’ll be on a 5 year deal, and whether he signs at the beginning or end of July will have no impact on the success of his stay here.

Suv666

With which players and when did it happen?
Cant be arsed mate
You reckon it makes no difference if the manager gets all the elements of his team assembled months before the season starts so that he can tweak formations, positions and the players can bond versus new signings getting parachuted on deadline day?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People complaining about missing the tour, isn't it pretty normal that bigger transfers only get completed deep into the window? Haaland with his release clause is a different case, but which stars were ready for their new team's preseason tour?
It’s normal regardless of size anyway, international duty often impacts player’s pre-season involvement every year.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
We’ve seen no such thing. If we sign De Jong, he’ll be on a 5 year deal, and whether he signs at the beginning or end of July will have no impact on the success of his stay here.
It will have an impact on EtH and building the team around FDJ as he so fervently wants.
The more they play together the better to mould a good team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It will have an impact on EtH and building the team around FDJ as he so fervently wants.
The more they play together the better to mould a good team.
They will play together for the next 9 months when he signs. 9 months plus two weeks will make very little difference. Pre-season is a fitness exercise first and foremost.

Real Name

Cant be arsed mate
You reckon it makes no difference if the manager gets all the elements of his team assembled months before the season starts so that he can tweak formations, positions and the players can bond versus new signings getting parachuted on deadline day?
You made an argument but cant be arsed to back it up, all right.

Yeah it certainly helps but its not as if our season will spectacularly fall to pieces if we dont get all the players before or during preseason. As @Rozay said, they'll play together for the next 9 months.

Suv666

Every positive post is attacked by fanatical pessimists any post with a hint of disappointment is attacked by posters trying to drown out the negativity.

Such hostile replies to a rightful complain I have. I'll refrain from posting here and let both sets of extremists fight it out.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Although this transfer window is not a catastrophe it is *iss poor.

The psychological reset and new blood that was plainly needed after the end of the season hasn't materialised.

We keep drawing deadline marks in the sand...."...as long as we get the new transfers in by end of June..."-"....as long as we get them in before preseason training...."-"....as long as we get them in before the tour starts...."

So far our activity is not upto scratch.

We should know by now that being linked with a player means nothing. His signature is all that counts. The rest is just fluff.

It's clear that our determined approach to land FDJ is purely down to ETH's insistence that we get him and that is beginning to cause me some concern. The message ETH is sending is that he needs FDJ to deploy the tactics that he wants us to use to progress as a team and as a club. The problem with that, in my eyes, is he's putting an enormous amount of reliance on FDJ being a messianic lynchpin to our team. What happens if FDJ breaks a leg during the season?

Shouldn't a good manager be able to build a succesful team without absolutely needing one individual to make it tick?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Every positive post is attacked by fanatical pessimists any post with a hint of disappointment is attacked by posters trying to drown out the negativity.

Such hostile replies to a rightful complain I have. I'll refrain from posting here and let both sets of extremists fight it out.
Nope, your ‘rightful complaint’ is just being questioned. I think some things actually sound like they make perfect sense on paper/online - to the degree that people disregard whether the reality supports it or not. We’ve been watching football for long enough to see that many, many players - of varying success sign at all stages of the window. We’ve also, surely, by now seen too many pre-seasons where important players are missing due to international commitments, or simply injury.

Pre-season has use, but it’s use is exaggerated. It’s primarily a fitness exercise and a commercial tour. For all the talk about shaping the team, we’ll probably line up with Tahith Chong or something next week. It happens every year.

Players needing to be in place from the very start of pre-season sounds logical and makes perfect sense, and I’d 100% agree if not for the fact that the reality does not reflect that. Not meaning to sound hostile, but at the same time, it’s about calming what has been posted over and over as either a cause to raise alarm, or a cause to revel in our supposed ‘incompetence’. It really doesn’t matter that much.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
They will play together for the next 9 months when he signs. 9 months plus two weeks will make very little difference. Pre-season is a fitness exercise first and foremost.
Yes, i agree with most of what you say here.
That said, any manager wants to start working early with his new players and also the players themselves get to know the way the manager wants them to play a bit earlier.
Sometimes not picking up points at the start of the season can impact the final PL table for teams.
Just my opinion.:)

WPMUFC

Am I right in thinking these Chelsea leaks didn't spread as wildly as Barca had hoped? Literally one paper, the Mail of all papers have caught on and all they're doing is quoting the reports in Spain and not any new info
yeah it was piss weak. They could've gone for something interesting like a Silva-FDJ swap deal and rumoured City would pay some of the outstanding cash.

Eddy_JukeZ

To carry on what @Rozay was saying

When we signed RVP, he didn't have a pre-season with us and he was still our best player that season.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
yeah it was piss weak. They could've gone for something interesting like a Silva-FDJ swap deal and rumoured City would pay some of the outstanding cash.
It'd been a bit more believable if they'd linked him to a club who actually needed a player in his position.
Going to Chelsea would be pointless, and knowing how much they want Ronaldo (well the owner anyway), i doubt they'd tread on Uniteds feet and scupper any chances of getting him. Thats why they were were waiting to see if it breaks down in my opinion

Abraxas

I don't get the constant chirping about getting him in for preseason. Yes we want the guy for preseason, in an ideal world we'd have everybody through the door right now.

It's not an ideal world and that's never going to happen. What do people moaning about this suggest, we sign someone inferior for the next 5 years just to satisfy your immediate demand to see him on a flight to Thailand?

What would be perfect for the manager is not in dispute but the reality is it's a complex transfer and we have to get our transfers right. That is the crux of the matter this summer and it's apparent that not getting this player isn't a compromise worth making for the manager. Especially for the sake of a preseason tour, you don't sacrifice your midfield staple for that and you don't compromise your whole plan for the summer either in terms of finance.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

When we signed RVP, he didn't have a pre-season with us and he was still our best player that season.
This is so right but it doesn't mean that ALL players can integrate easily into the teams.
Some do and some don't.

Eddy_JukeZ

This is so right but it doesn't mean that ALL players can integrate easily into the teams.
So do and some don't.
Not all do, but the fact that ETH already coached De Jong increases the likelihood of him integrating well.

Suv666

Its different when you've got an established team buying a player from the same league.

We have a new manager, a team which will have at least new 4-5 starters with a totally different style of play and none of the new signings have played in the league before.

Teja

Drag those heels Murtough. Let's get Antony and Martinez in and let Barca sweat. Eriksen, Malacia, Martinez and Antony are fine to take to pre-season.

I'm convinced FdJ doesn't need 3 months to get going in a system / role he already knows very well.

Leethal

Although this transfer window is not a catastrophe it is *iss poor.

The psychological reset and new blood that was plainly needed after the end of the season hasn't materialised.

We keep drawing deadline marks in the sand...."...as long as we get the new transfers in by end of June..."-"....as long as we get them in before preseason training...."-"....as long as we get them in before the tour starts...."

So far our activity is not upto scratch.

We should know by now that being linked with a player means nothing. His signature is all that counts. The rest is just fluff.

It's clear that our determined approach to land FDJ is purely down to ETH's insistence that we get him and that is beginning to cause me some concern. The message ETH is sending is that he needs FDJ to deploy the tactics that he wants us to use to progress as a team and as a club. The problem with that, in my eyes, is he's putting an enormous amount of reliance on FDJ being a messianic lynchpin to our team. What happens if FDJ breaks a leg during the season?

Shouldn't a good manager be able to build a succesful team without absolutely needing one individual to make it tick?
For every reason you mentioned, it is catastrophe. Piss poor was last season, when we again refused to strengthen the midfield, despite adding Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.