Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MF1138

I don't see a reasonable explanation why de Jong wouldn't tell ten Hag that he has absolutely no interest in joining United if that is in fact the case. What would he have to gain? It doesn't gain him any leverage with Barcelona. If anything having United on the hook makes wanting to stay more complicated.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Unbelievable really. They were inches near bankruptcy because of crazy spending. They avoided it by selling their kidney. And what they do first? Go spending crazy again. fecking hell

Keefy18

:confused:

Why does De Jong have to accept a paycut to stay? His contract is bound by law. If he doesn't want to change anything then they have to pay the money he is owed. This won't make De Jong popular among club management and fans. But he absolutely doesn't have to accept a paycut in order to stay.

Now he could accept a temporary wage deferrment as earlier. Get paid everything over the contract length by June 2026. But why should he agree to this when he's already done this once and they are in no better place? If it was me I'd be worried that Barca might be bankrupt by 2026, and want what I was owed up until now to be paid now before I accept to defer any more payments.
Apologies I am replying to a lot of comments and misread.

No they can't force him to sign it, I believe he will likely accept it though spread out over the course of his remaining 4 years.

I don't see a reasonable explanation why de Jong wouldn't tell ten Hag that he has absolutely no interest in joining United if that is in fact the case. What would he have to gain? It doesn't gain him any leverage with Barcelona. If anything having United on the hook makes wanting to stay more complicated.
Well exactly, United hanging around makes Barça feel like they can do a deal.
If de Jong just tells ETH to feck off and tells Barça he’s staying and will not entertain contract talks…. Well, Barça are fecked.
As you say, United hanging around doesn’t help his cause, it helps only Barcelona.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
That's not the choice mate, he's getting the money whatever happens.

It's join MUFC or stay at Barca and potentially miss the WC.
Van Gaal talks a lot and he can scare Timber off , but there’s nobody displacing De Jong in Netherlands lineup.

He can sit till the World Cup and he’ll still start if he’s healthy.

croadyman

Mitten is as close to Manchester United and Barcelona as any journalist, if not closer. 60% chance it is. Another two or three weeks will really test fans patience though.
Yeah certainly a more realistic percentage

Theo88

I’m gonna take a guess and say we will increase our offer by c. 4-5m to be paid in a 3 instalments , FDJ will forego £4-5m and the catalonians will end up setting up a klarna type arrangement for the remaining of the deferred sum of monies.

Red00012

If Barca really want him gone take £20million from the fee and we will pay him the money he’s owed

Mike Smalling

I am the only one not really excited by this? I mean, he is a great player in a position where we need to strengthen, but we constantly hear that he doesn’t want to leave Barca and come here.

George The Best

Well exactly, United hanging around makes Barça feel like they can do a deal.
If de Jong just tells ETH to feck off and tells Barça he’s staying and will not entertain contract talks…. Well, Barça are fecked.
As you say, United hanging around doesn’t help his cause, it helps only Barcelona.
Barca have to do a deal if they want him out, with or without our interest in him. Frenkie is sat on a nice fat contract for the next 4 years due to waving some of his pay during the pandemic. If Barca now don’t want to honour it. then it’s them that need to find a solution that satisfies Frenkie. Otherwise he’s right to just sit tight and pick up his improved wages.

James35

I am the only one not really excited by this? I mean, he is a great player in a position where we need to strengthen, but we constantly hear that he doesn’t want to leave Barca and come here.
I feel the same, great if he joins, move on if he doesn’t. Just don’t want it dragging on.
The way it is being played out in the press is like he is the best midfielder on the planet. Plenty of quality midfielders out there better than what we currently have, who would be more keen to move clubs and also not be owed a shit tonne of money.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
FdJ will also be entitled to a percentage of any sell-on fee. Not been mentioned here much.

buchansleftleg

There is clearly some sort of ambivalence in the agreement FDJ must have entered into with Barca to defer his wages during covid.

If this ambivalence was just around how it was going to be paid....lump sum or in extra payments on a weekly basis then I think we would have seen a resolution by now.

I suspect that the point of contention is around what happens if / when FdJ leaves and under what circumstances. I think that's why we are getting very flat statements from him, saying he is not planning to leave and Barca are "showing him" the offer.

If barca accept an offer...they will probably incur a higher financial penalty or have to pay up quicker than if FdJ "requests" to leave or just "leaves".

They are both dancing on the head of a pin trying to avoid triggering a legal tripwire.

Wezzaldo

All these “95% complete” type tweets remind me of anchorman now.

Frenkie de Jong from Odeon. 60% of the time he signs every time.

Keefy18

What is likely? Why do you think that?

What could be spread out over 4 years? He’s already deferred pay due over the next 4 years.
They want him to take another deferred deal.

https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2022/07/10/62cb26b446163f62648b45df.html

If he stays he'll still likely earn more there than at United on top of the fact he loves the club and wants to stay there. I've no reason not to believe its his dream club as he's stated it time and time again from the day he signed and throughout this saga.

I've no doubt there are personal reasons also, like the fact he's invested €5m into a new home as recent as April and recently got engaged and I doubt his partner would opt for rainy Manchester over sunny Spain.

glasgow 21

How is he getting the money whatever happens?
By all accounts that’s the issue right now, Barca refusing to pay his €17m
We can't see the re-adjusted pandemic contract but i would be surprised if FDJ's side or any other player hadn't inserted a clause preventing the outstanding wages being cancelled by a simply selling the player that is owed wages.

Rolaholic

Barca are insane trying to sign Raphinha and Lewa and others. Their plan should be to spend the least amount of money needed to keep them competitive enough for 4th in La Liga. They’ll claw their way out of most of this debt in 5 years that way and can start building more competitive sides. You also never know what comes out of their academy during that time.
The smart and economical thing would've been to focus on developing their La Masia products and building around them while slowly moving away from their older mainstays rather than chasing shiny new toys and mortgaging their financial future away for the short term benefit of those shiny toys but a smart club wouldn't have gotten themselves in this position to begin with.

The fact that the Madrid clubs have won the league 3 straight years and their blood rival are the Kings of Europe likely causes pressure within their board to try to keep up by chasing big money names for fear of being left behind but the long term ramifications of such a shortsighted strategy will be dire. Selling their licensing and broadcasting rights for cheap in order to fund their splurging and paying those absurd wages will backfire in the long run and they'll be likely end up in even deeper shit financially.

They definitely could've used a quiet window or 2 and they still have the talent to be a CL side but Spanish football politics has them biting off much more than they can chew after Bartomeu's presidency set them back 5 years.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
They want him to take another deferred deal.

https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2022/07/10/62cb26b446163f62648b45df.html

If he stays he'll still likely earn more there than at United on top of the fact he loves the club and wants to stay there. I've no reason not to believe its his dream club as he's stated it time and time again from the day he signed and throughout this saga.

I've no doubt there are personal reasons also, like the fact he's invested €5m into a new home as recent as April and recently got engaged and I doubt his partner would opt for rainy Manchester over sunny Spain.
Deferring more wages makes no sense for Barca as they'll just owe him even more in a few years which they'll have no chance of paying.

I think you're doing all you can to convince yourself that this isn't going to happen. Now thats fair enough, as United fans we've been lured into several BS transfers where we've been used and led on, but this is a case where Barca need him gone. He needs to take a pay cut, not another pay deferral. It just won't happen. It literally will be kicking the can down the road, and if he has a shite season, his value will drop, his deferred wages will increase and he'd be impossible to transfer, even more so than he is now.

If they defer any more wages, they'd be oweing him an absurd amount of money, you'd be looking at around €750k a week or so in the final year or so of his contract. Why would they do that?

DSG

They can't even yet register Christensen or Kessie whom they already signed on free let alone Raphinha who is more or less done. And that is not taking into account their interest in B. Silva or Kounde or Lewa. I suspect they definitely have to sell someone no matter how many "Levers" they use.
Agree. It’s smoke and mirrors.

Again, they are using this as a tactic to throw chaos into the marketplace. They want to drag this out as long as possible to get either FDJ to capitulate and agree to forego his right to the back pay owed, then sell him, or if they can get United to a point of desperation, for them to foot the bill.

Even if they get the 600m total from the presale of tv revenue, that leaves 160m for transfers, BUT they still have to meet LaLiga’s 60% rule. I don’t see them getting under that if they sign Lewa, Raphinha, Silva, Azpiliqueta, Christensen, Kessie and Kounde.

DevilRed

If that is what is happening but as has been mentioned repeatedly, him stating he does not want to leave is the leverage he has to get Barca to pay him the money he is owed. Just because you say a thing it does not make it true, I love my wife but I don't always mean it when I say her new outfit looks great I just know what is best for my health.
Gandalf the wise. :lol:

Keefy18

Deferring more wages makes no sense for Barca as they'll just owe him even more in a few years which they'll have no chance of paying.

I think you're doing all you can to convince yourself that this isn't going to happen. Now thats fair enough, as United fans we've been lured into several BS transfers where we've been used and led on, but this is a case where Barca need him gone. He needs to take a pay cut, not another pay deferral. It just won't happen. It literally will be kicking the can down the road, and if he has a shite season, his value will drop, his deferred wages will increase and he'd be impossible to transfer, even more so than he is now.

If they defer any more wages, they'd be oweing him an absurd amount of money, you'd be looking at around €750k a week or so in the final year or so of his contract. Why would they do that?
They really shouldn't even being investing in players currently yet they've signed at least 4 players already haven't they? Granted 3 come with no transfer fee's but they are investing in Raphina with a decent amount of money involved.

Nothing they are doing the last few years really makes sense, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they do try this and hope another club / offer comes along where it suits them better financially.

Not saying our offer is bad by any means, just they are incredibly arrogant no doubt believe they will get out of it in better shape.

croadyman

Arnold & Murtough are looking like they have gone on a wild goose chase and certainly wouldn't live this one down ever

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
@Brophs Now we know!

From Marca
The continuation of the pandemic meant that the following year the contract had to be renegotiated once more.

What the player did was to extend his commitment for two more seasons and defer his payments.

In the first two seasons, 2020/21 and 2021/22, the player reduced his salary from 14m euros to 3m euros and 9m euros respectively.

That meant giving up 16m euros, which he would be paid over the remaining four seasons until the end of his contract in 2026. That is why he now earns a fixed 18m euros, made up of the 14m euros he was earning plus the 4m euros deferred.
So from that I assume he has no right to claim his deferred wage if he leaves and breaks his contact which is why he needs to negotiate a settlement that suits both him and Barca.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If Barca really want him gone take £20million from the fee and we will pay him the money he’s owed
I genuinely believe that if United tried to take a hard line with this deal then Barcelona would cancel the whole thing simply because Laporta and that entire club's collective ego can't allow their club to appear weak or flawed in any way whatsoever. It doesn't matter if it cost them loads of money - they're already broke as feck and yet they're still throwing around cash they don't have so they're either vain twats or just plain stupid.

I still think we'll get De Jong but unfortunately Barcelona are like an annoying ten year old. Sometimes it's better just letting the little shit think they've won.

Status
Not open for further replies.