Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavern in the town

Tier system.

Never heard so much shite in my life.

Basically, a few journos have stated the obvious, (or got lucky), and have managed to work themselves onto some ridiculous tier list that is adjudicated by some random plebs on the internet.
Are you disputing the idea that some journalists are more reliable than others?

Suv666

I'm all for playing who blinks first but going into the season without FDJ would be disastrous.
Hope we have alternatives lined up that can be done within hours because this can go either way.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I'm all for playing who blinks first but going into the season without FDJ would be disastrous.
Hope we have alternatives lined up that can be done within hours because this can go either way.
We should have a plan B, C, D...That's how a football club operates.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Is there any other big club in Europe engaged in such a protracted deal this summer? Not just a criticism for criticism sake, Im genuinely asking. I can't think of one. Obviously work goes on behind scenes but you'd have to be burying your head in the sand at least a little bit to not think that United, about to start pre season matches with one sub left back, haven't seemed to improve in any regard off pitch.
Barcelona with Lewandoski, Rafinha.

WPMUFC

Tier system.

Basically, a few journos have stated the obvious, (or got lucky), and have managed to work themselves onto some ridiculous tier list that is adjudicated by some random plebs on the internet.
oh yeah...simon stone and the BBC are sitting in their office every day with the /r/reddevils tier list open on the projector just hoping to get lucky to keep their spot :lol:

We as fans like to talk transfers, transfer talk ultimately requires sports journalists to produce content. God forbid, in an attempt to not let every charlatan journo from The Sun to The Mirror act "ITK", the fans try to limit discussion to those with a track record of good content.

The Tier system is actually the best, with all it's flaws, attempt so far to actually stop people posting indykilla, Mark Goldbridge, Steve Howson "ITK" bullshit. God forbid fans having a discussion would hope to constrain the discussion to actual fecking journalists that care about their profession.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Tier system.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it's shit

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
I don't get this. If the clubs have actually agreed a fee, then surely Barca have already stated their willingness to sell. So why would FDJ have to ask to leave?
Surely even Barca cannot expect to sell someone who clearly doesn't want to leave, and then deny his right to monies owed due to a lack of loyalty!
I may have it wrong, but if I'm reading it anywhere near right, then wtf?

SER19

Is anybody else trying to buy star players from a club as utterly screwed up as Barca? The context matters here.
Is there any other player on the market that is currently owed almost €20 million in deferred wages from his current club who are activating “levers” to even be able to register a squad with La Liga?

Raphinha, Lewa are protracted sagas and the common denominator?

You both have a point about context but you both also need to context of many summers post Ferguson we've seen the same thing. We might be fine and get some deals over but if somebody had told me after Brighton hit their 4th against us at the end of last season that we'd start pre season v Liverpool on 12th July with only a sub left back added i would have said its too negative a prediction even for a club in a bad place.

The actual season starts in less than a month. We can't collectively pretend after watching a disjointed decade that a settled well run squad isn't important, yet we're 4 weeks out, massively deficient, no clue whats going on with Ronaldo. It's very difficult to build optimism and momentum for ten hag, especially when we see fred mctominay bolstering the midfield, without a right flank of any note, to start yet another pre season. And a fair chance Martial will be up top

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The tone about this transfer really has shifted a bit. But Castles aside, who's an absolute ABU wum since Mourinho got sacked, the reporting comes from Spain while the english side turned very quiet.
Until that changes and they also shift their narrative, I don't think there's much speaking against optimism

NZT-One

You mean playing ‘pin the tail on the TOTY’ and signing the player it lands by isn’t the way to be successful?! Well shucks! Somebody buy EtH a reporters pad and pen quickly! He’s got lists to make!
You're just not understanding how smart clubs operate. You can be picky and select players with a very specific skill set when your team is a working unit and has some success. Like VVD or Alisson for example who were "the final pieces". But that isn't where United is at right now ffs. If ETH identified a need as big as it is worth to spunk 70 million on it, we surely have to make sure this need gets adressed. If not by the top player on the wishlist then with the next one on the list.

It is a big mistake to claim that getting the wrong player will cost United, waiting and be passive has its cost as well.

WPMUFC

The tone about this transfer really has shifted a bit. But Castles aside, who's an absolute ABU wum since Mourinho got sacked, the reporting comes from Spain while the english side turned very quiet.
Until that changes and they also shift their narrative, I don't think there's much speaking against optimism
Since i've started skipping everything outside Simon Stone / Ducker / Whitwell (Athletic broadly) i'm much happier checking this thread. Spain tweets are now an incomprehensible mess of lies and outside those three UK journo's, everything is 50/50 for accuracy.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Players who's boyhood dream it was to play for United such as Scholes, Giggs and Neville never demanded ridiculous contracts and would have reduced their wage if it meant keeping the club afloat.

For De Jong playing for Barcelona is a dream and he loves the club. Surely like the aforementioned United players he would reduce his wage if it meant keeping Barcelona afloat.
Nonsense, a player has a short career and Barca are not in danger of going under, they just want him to reduce his wage so Laporta can make some shiny new signings.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Why can’t Barca just use the money from the transfer to pay the wages they owe him? Sign an agreement or something.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Is he?He knows that Barcelona are looking to offload him.
Nobody has any clue as to what he's thinking.
Exactly, what's said in public and what's said in private is two completely different things. Players will say in public what they want the club and fans to hear. In private it'll be a completely different story

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Players who's boyhood dream it was to play for United such as Scholes, Giggs and Neville never demanded ridiculous contracts and would have reduced their wage if it meant keeping the club afloat.

For De Jong playing for Barcelona is a dream and he loves the club. Surely like the aforementioned United players he would reduce his wage if it meant keeping Barcelona afloat.
Grow the feck up.

Barcelona has no problems in wanting to splash big money for new signings, why should De Jong take less money just so they can give it to them.

Nonsense, a player has a short career and Barca are not in danger of going under, they just want him to reduce his wage so Laporta can make some shiny new signings.
This idea too that say Giggs or Scholes would never have demanded the going rate :lol:

feck me. He’s not on a ridiculous contract at all, it’s around 250k /week for the duration of the 6 year deal. Pretending Giggs would’ve been happy to receive enormous paycuts whilst the club continued to sign new players on higher wages is hilarious.

NZT-One

Since i've started skipping everything outside Simon Stone / Ducker / Whitwell (Athletic broadly) i'm much happier checking this thread. Spain tweets are now an incomprehensible mess of lies and outside those three UK journo's, everything is 50/50 for accuracy.
Where smoke is, might be fire. It is all good and well to be selective regarding sources and I am sure for mental health it is the best to limit the input of "news" but you don't get more than 50/50 anywhere. In a world, where everybody is aware of public relations and where billions of media outlets battle for attention with all measures, the status quo is that one source means nothing, it is always a multitude of different ones who form a picture. All this rollercoaster leads to one thing: people getting way too invested in specific things which then turns into hype or hysteria.

dove

For the people constantly pushing the “doesn’t want to be here” narrative…

There is a middle ground between “doesn’t want to be here” and “desperately wants to be here” and that is, in my opinion, that he still prefers staying at Barca because he genuinely likes the club/city or whatever but wouldn't mind joining us if it comes to it.

Bestietom

No they wouldn’t.

He signed a contract that paid him 57k /week for 2020/21 and something between 115-150k /week for 2021/2022.
The shortfall was going to be made up with a wage increase starting from next season and future loyalty bonuses.
Up to this point in his contract Barça have paid him in full.

They have conned the shit out of him mind, but legally that have paid him to date as per the terms of his contract.
Conned him and it's legal. We are wasting our time anyway, I don't think he wants to come here. Hope I am wrong.

EricIn93

It is a stand off between De Jong and Barca. Either way he will not be coming to United. I honestly think he will bend and take a lower wage to stay. United are being used (as usual). I hope they are looking elsewhere for a CM in the meantime while this draws to a dead end.

Bestietom

Maybe something was lost in translation that states that if he doesn't complete the length of that contract the player gets the amount as of the moment he leaves the club. Since he loves Barca, he probably never thought he would ever leave the club? So deferment payments till the full length of the contract.
We don't know the full story, but he has just purchased a mansion there, has got engaged to his girlfriend and now we read that he doesn't want to come here. Flogging a dead horse again.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You both have a point about context but you both also need to context of many summers post Ferguson we've seen the same thing. We might be fine and get some deals over but if somebody had told me after Brighton hit their 4th against us at the end of last season that we'd start pre season v Liverpool on 12th July with only a sub left back added i would have said its too negative a prediction even for a club in a bad place.

The actual season starts in less than a month. We can't collectively pretend after watching a disjointed decade that a settled well run squad isn't important, yet we're 4 weeks out, massively deficient, no clue whats going on with Ronaldo. It's very difficult to build optimism and momentum for ten hag, especially when we see fred mctominay bolstering the midfield, without a right flank of any note, to start yet another pre season. And a fair chance Martial will be up top
Whilst I don’t disagree with you, I think this one is a little different. Woodward and judge were clearly ill suited for this kind of negotiation as they are business/finance men first and foremost and lacked the knowledge of the footballing side of a deal. Murtough is a football man. The problem this year is the club we are dealing with rather than United. Whilst it’s dragging on a bit, and I understand the calls to move on I think in this case a bit of patience is required.
I trust the club to move on as soon as they stop getting encouragement from the players side or more likely to complete the deal.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
For the people constantly pushing the “doesn’t want to be here” narrative…

This is a slightly disingenuous Tweet from this bloke, to be honest. The example of Ronaldo isn't the same. He came here as a kid, improved, had a few excellent seasons then moved away in his prime. De Jong is already at a big club. A club where he wants to be and is basically "forced" to take a step down (as he would see it and many others would, too) to join a club that he doesn't want to be at. Now, the caveat here being is that I don't know for sure how true these reports are, but considering that nearly everyone who reports on this story echoes this "he doesn't want to leave" line I think we can give it some credence.

Also, it's not about being a fan. That's another dishonest argument. The vast majority of players are not fans of the clubs they play for. Everyone knows this. It's about looking at individual cases. In this case, it's only natural to be concerned about a player who is not leaving for another challenge, but because he basically has to leave. And, you also have to look at the club he's leaving for. We need players who are going to want to fight when shit goes south. And believe me, shit will go south at some point for us next season. Is he gonna be up for that fight at a club where he doesn't want to be at?

Maybe he will. Maybe he'll think "feck it, I'm here now, let's make the best of it". But it's only natural, as a fan, to be slightly concerned, particularly when this club hasn't given us any reason to think otherwise over the last decade or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.