Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LH99

This will make or break our summer , i still belive it will happen but its got me worried how long its taking. Anyway we have Zidane hes got our backs !

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Barca are, of course, bald faced liars. If Lewandowski joined them it's because they offered more money than us, not less. It's that simple.
And there's nothing wrong with that either. But according to Barca PR, players always take a wage cut to join them, always. Because, let's be honest, the honour of playing for this great club is compensation in itself.
Kind of a difficult narrative to hold on to when your club is on the brink of collapse due to the height of your wage bill, but they're holding on to it no less :lol:
Its almost like North Korean level of PR.

DickDastardly

I know we're eventually gonna get Frenkie.

Still, it's tiresome.
Even when we do sign him it's going to be an anticlimax.

The feeling is already a bit ......meh.....

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This phone. Ffs :lol:
Pleading the Fontaine defence. The last recurse of the uninspired :D

Btw, Sport is essentially still a fanzine and is historically close to Laporta so yeah, take everything they write through that prism

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Would anyone forego $17m?! I find that hard to believe to be honest. Maybe he's happy to wait a year or two, collect part of what he's owed and reassess down the line. He's in a pretty strong position.
That's what I mean. If that is our stance, to expect him to just change his mind and walk away from the money, then it's ridiculous like I said.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Sure it's been answered and is probably a stupid question but why can't United subtract the amount from the fee and just pay De Jong the 17 mil.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sure it's been answered and is probably a stupid question but why can't United subtract the amount from the fee and just pay De Jong the 17 mil.
Because they can't do that without the agreement of Barcelona?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Maybe we can pay pique's wages too?

No serious though...I'm not sure tbh. Maybe Barca being as cheeky as they are want is to pay his wages without reducing agreed figure

pocco

loco
And he might after playing a few more times in defence and eating bench, decide that a 8.5m payoff (rather than 17), the extra United agreed, is fine, and that it’s just not worth staying.
So ”change his mind” could mean many things.
If Barca have any hope of selling at his current price then they can't do anything that will drive down his price. Perhaps they'd try again next summer, but they will need to play him regularly (which I think they will) to keep his value up.

He probably played CB yesterday because Barca basically had all of the ball and he was dictating play. He still played practically in the opponents half. If they continue to play him there then I would tend to agree that they're making it difficult for him, but he wasn't playing a typical CB role last night.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Probably because Barca will want the agreed fee and not 17m less, else they could pay De Jong themselves.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
New lever.

Money printing machine lever
Delete that picture pal... Barca execs will be on to you ASAP! They don't need their "lever" being exposed! haha

It is almost like they've got a direct link to some dodgy lender where they get on the phone and say "Just do me €50m real quick will pay it back when we can"

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm sure that could be arranged. However, Barca simply wants the extra 17 million for themselves.

redcucumber

That's what I mean. If that is our stance, to expect him to just change his mind and walk away from the money, then it's ridiculous like I said.
Ah, I see. Yep I agree that I am growing increasingly sceptical it'll happen. I guess it depends how eager Barcelona genuinely are in wanting him out of the club. They've taken on loads of players this summer who won't be playing for a pittance. They still owe Pique huge sums as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they were hoping we'd cough up more to cover De Jong's owed wages. Feels like a game of chicken at the moment.

the_cliff

Apparently we can't due to tax reasons or something. It seems to be more complicated than just paying off De Jong, although I don't see how it would be a problem if we just remove 17 mill from the transfer fee and give FDJ a 17 mill signing on fee.

The whole situation smells a bit fishy, considering we've agreed a fee with Barca a week ago and yet he's still on tour playing minutes.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
I imagine it would need FDJ to contractually agree to not receiving the deferred wages, knowing that he would then get an extra €17million signing on fee from United.

However, this just sounds like a logistic nightmare from a legal POV. Can’t imagine it working and we’re talking about a silly amount of money moving around and from different parties.

The only way this is solved is if Barcelona pay him outright what he owed so he moves on, or FDJ takes a pay cut to stay.

Edit: Barcelona would also need to agree to taking €17million less guaranteed, which messes up their FFP.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I get that he's a top class midfield, and if ETH is this keen on getting him, then we are absolutely right to be pushing.

That said, is he so good that we essentially right off all other options who could fill the massive void that's been left by both Pogba & Matic leaving this summer?

Even with Eriksen, our midfield options are phenomenally weak compared to pretty much every top half club in the league.

There have been excellent bargains in the midfield market this summer (Bissouma the stand-out deal), and there are others clearly to be had (Tielemans).

By the time we end up looking elsewhere, it's going to be pretty slim pickings.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I imagine it would need FDJ to contractually agree to not receiving the deferred wages, knowing that he would then get an extra €17million signing on fee from United.

However, this just sounds like a logistic nightmare from a legal POV. Can’t imagine it working and we’re talking about a silly amount of money moving around and from different parties.

The only way this is solved is if Barcelona pay him outright what he owed so he moves on, or FDJ takes a pay cut to stay.
Sadly both of them options at the moment seem to be none movers. Barca just don't want to pay him what he wants and de Jong refuses to take a pay cut again.

Hence the stalemate at the moment. It's a case of who blinks first and crumbles

pocco

loco
Ah, I see. Yep I agree that I am growing increasingly sceptical it'll happen. I guess it depends how eager Barcelona genuinely are in wanting him out of the club. They've taken on loads of players this summer who won't be playing for a pittance. They still owe Pique huge sums as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they were hoping we'd cough up more to cover De Jong's owed wages. Feels like a game of chicken at the moment.
It's the fact that we've agreed a fee already though, including us paying an extra 10m euros up front, which makes me think we won't throw any more money at this. I wouldn't be sure we even have the money to pay them the extra 17m euros + bonuses he believes he is owed. I read somewhere that the total that de Jong may be owed is probably closer to 30m euros! That isn't a situation that will be resolved in the near future.

the_cliff

The problem is he's not technically owed anything. FDJ sees it as him being owed, but technically he agreed for a cut in his salary providing he get's an increase in his salary later on, now Barcelona is trying to get rid of him before the increase is activated.

Ockham

Supports
Barcelona
  • So Bayern's renewal offer was €12m p.a for 2 years = €24m total
  • Barça's offer supposedly is €9m p.a. for 3 years = €27m total, plus one year optional.
According to the rumors, Lewandowski has also agreed to take up a lowered salary during the final two years of his contract. Barcelona will also have an option to terminate his contract in the final two years of his deal by paying a compensation fee. Finally, Barça paid €45+5m to Bayern and €20m in commission to Zahavi.

Seems like everyone got paid except poor old Lewandowski!

If you believe the Barça salary numbers, Lewandowski kicked up a fuss for an extra guaranteed €3m. I think he could have easily achieved that by playing at Munich for 2 years and signing up for another team for in year 3 for €3-4m. It just doesn't add up, but this is Barcelona's MO - a lot of bullshit.

@Lemoor
According to Capology Lewandowskis salary is 360K weekly gross until jun 30th which equals 56m for three years. That being said Lewandowski didn't go to Barca for the wage. It surely won't last forever but as long as Barca wants to play the possession game I think it will remain THE club players want to play for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.