Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acquire Me

A shitshow of a transfer window and a shitshow of a season ahead. Strap in, its going to be fun!
This shitshow will result in massive amounts with tweets going in all directions. I love silly season, but this one is best done and dusted now.

Real Name

I find it strange people on here are so willingly accepting that United agreed a fee for him and he's keen on moving here but immediately reject the possibility of Chelsea agreeing a deal and being his preferred choice, which to be fair makes perfect sense. We rarely beat Chelsea to any transfers let alone now that we are shambles and they are actually fairly good.
How many times was between us and Chelsea for some player? I mean, is there many examples, I can't remember. I'm not saying we'll beat them for FDJ, just curious.

Walters_19_MuFc

Alternative means alternative!
If we're getting two, then we really should be looking to offload one. Even with the current setup with us playing 3 centre midfielders, adding two to the ones we currently have is too many.

Bruno/Eriksen - McTominay/Van de Beek
?/Fred​

That's how I currently see it. Most would argue that the quality is not there, but I'd say if we can get De Jong (which isn't looking likely) then he can be the player that plays that single pivot role.

Mainoldo

So all that future earnings is wiped out and he also loses his past monies owed. Great!! :lol:

I know Chelsea have the Red neck Woodward in charge but surely he’s not going to fund the losses Frenkie would be giving up and offer him a bumper deal on top.

I can see why we are deciding to let it play out.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Centre backs I understand, but you have Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, RLC and Gallagher who all play in that deeper role.

Will you be looking to offload one of the above?
Yeah FDJ is definitely an opportunistic signing, if he indeed ends up at Chelsea. It would be a solving a problem we know is coming in 12 months, but not really a priority for this summer. Of the names you mention, Jorginho and RLC are the only guys I could see being sold this window.

We’ve let go of Lukaku and Werner too, Ziyech already has one foot out of the club. Alonso too. So that’s about 6 players.

dpansheth

I think there's a rule in NFL that owners/board have to put a total contract value in an escrow the day the contract is signed, and player is paid accordingly.

Gandalf

I find it strange people on here are so willingly accepting that United agreed a fee for him and he's keen on moving here but immediately reject the possibility of Chelsea agreeing a deal and being his preferred choice, which to be fair makes perfect sense. We rarely beat Chelsea to any transfers let alone now that we are shambles and they are actually fairly good.
It comes down more to the issue of not understanding why Chelsea would even be in for him. As mentioned previously, they are desperate for Fofana who meets an urgent need for them and if they sign him their spending is likely to be well over 250M without adding Frenkie who does not fit an immediate need for them. When you consider that even after Fofana a new striker and potentially a new RB are still more of a priority for them it seems odd they would pay the huge fee to get FDJ when they already have 4 players that play a similar role. When you also consider the persistent links to Rice to Chelsea next summer it becomes mind boggling.

Of course if they really do want him I would concede they are currently more attractive in terms of being in the CL and more recently successful than us and of course London sounds far more attractive than Manchester to most neutrals as a place to live. In the event they are in for him we can only hope that ETH does have more pull as a coach than Tuchel because he knows him and also the fact that coming to Manchester United he would know he is coming in as the fulcrum of our team to playing what he has described as his preferred role, I am not sure Chelsea would give those same assurances as they would need to displace proven players of equal stature to accommodate Frenkie in the DLP role.

Edit. If Chelsea do sign Frenkie we should go hard for Declan Rice right now when nobody else is in a position to bid and not faff about til next summer.

DevilRed

“NEW”
:lol:

Let me guess. That 6m is probably going to paid at a "later" stage too.

"dont worry Frenkie. We promise to pay you the money when we have it, but please just take a paycut right now for the club".

barcelona are like drug addicts. Spending money they don't have while trying to borrow off their people.

beaverboi88

it seems FDJ is actually on is way to Chelsea.... makes sense why we are now panicking about buying other midfielders.... such a shame...I was really hopeful on FDJ

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Really? haven’t seen that reported and it would be big news I’d of thought?
From Fabrizio Romano on July 8th. He reported specifically that while Chelsea was interested, they informed Barca they would not make a formal bid until the player himself gave the green light.

By my count Boehly has had a reported call to De Jong on several different occasions. The first two, weeks ago, he was basically told “I’m staying at Barca”.

Several outlets are reporting Boehly spoke to him Yesterday and last night. Just Google, they are everywhere.

Now all publications are reporting we have made an official bid and it was accepted today.

So, reports from several reputable sources, including Romano that we would not officially bid unless we got green light from player. Now we are finally making bid.

Take that however you will. Again, the first note on our stance on making the bid was from Romano, quoted on Barcanews, July 8th. I have read the same thing in basically every article on the subject since then.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Tom Roddy? Can't say I've heard of him.

Reliable? Also why is no one else reporting it? When we agreed a fee or was close to it, we knew right away, even building up to it we knee. Very odd
Tom Roddy's generally reliable, yeah. I guess the idea behind these reports from both Tom Roddy and Ben Jacobs is that Chelsea's ready to advance should they get the green light, which they've yet to get. The fee won't be an issue for them, basically.

DevilRed

This one is done. Even if we have to wait till the last day of the window.

Frenkie is coming. Once he gets his money from those fecking clowns at barcelona.

You can understand why he is fuming considering we are handing over a 71m transfer fee to them. Its fecking ridiculous really.

Utd7

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Now we are finally making bid.
Do you mind sharing these reports? Tom Roddy's gone the furthest in reporting that Chelsea are closing in on an agreement, yet that doesn't indicate that Chelsea have submitted an offer. Ben Jacobs offered more insight into this, stating that Chelsea are optimistic about an agreement with Barcelona despite not submitting a bid as of now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah FDJ is definitely an opportunistic signing, if he indeed ends up at Chelsea. It would be a solving a problem we know is coming in 12 months, but not really a priority for this summer. Of the names you mention, Jorginho and RLC are the only guys I could see being sold this window.

We’ve let go of Lukaku and Werner too, Ziyech already has one foot out of the club. Alonso too. So that’s about 6 players.
Yeah, most of the players that have left or are on the brink of leaving are at the back or in the forward positions, so keep your fecking hands off De Jong. :p

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tom Roddy's generally reliable, yeah. I guess the idea behind these reports from both Tom Roddy and Ben Jacobs is that Chelsea's ready to advance should they get the green light, which they've yet to get. The fee won't be an issue for them, basically.
That's the interesting part for me, despite all the talks about the player preference, it seems that Chelsea themselves don't know it and the only thing that people are actually using as an argument is the CL and not the place. So the key would be to know what De Jong actually think about each clubs near future, it would make no sense to base a 5 year contract on the first 12 months.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football

“NEW”
Probably worth checking if the 6m settlement is Barca paying De Jong or De Jong paying Barca. Absolute joke of a club.

"Hey Frenkie, fancy giving us 6m to boost our transfer budget so that we can sign the next player Chelsea want? Also happy to have your wedding at the Camp Nou if you can pay us another 25m".

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
How many times was between us and Chelsea for some player? I mean, is there many examples, I can't remember. I'm not saying we'll beat them for FDJ, just curious.
Robben and Mikel (agent went to jail for his move to you)

Beyond that I’m struggling. For the reverse, I can’t think of a single name that’s joined you over us? At least not publicly. But I could be wrong.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Wasn’t he saying we had giving up before? Interesting
As I say, no one knows what's going on. It's just a mess.

SSN not saying anything new. The whole Chelsea will bid if they get the green light, but they're sure he wants to join them? That in its self is just confusing.

Then news saying we've agreed a contract with his agent... no one has a clue and those that are reliable haven't said anything in a while now.

Walters_19_MuFc

If we miss out on de Jong, we're going to sign his polar opposite. The bizarro logic of our transfer strategy gives me a headache.
That's if we believe the rumours.

I mean, ten Hag has blatantly come out and said he wants a holding midfielder. SMS is anything but that player, so I'd take that rumour with a pinch of salt.

Chairman Steve

This is like a test of true muppetry from the gods or something. Like if you don’t crack from this, you don’t crack from anything.

At this point I don’t care what happens. He’s not the alpha and omega and there’s plenty of good deals out there if you look hard enough. Even if he is standing on an OT pitch wearing our shirt, there’s going to be some monster expectations on him after all of this and he could just as well underwhelm or even flop for us. I’m leaning more towards taking the £75m or whatever and potentially distributing it across 2-3 players who’d answer more than one of the problem areas we have, than just having FDJ would. We can get 2 CMs and a RB with that if we’re smart.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wasn’t he saying we had giving up before? Interesting
Now that you mention it, it is Hirst and Whitwell that haven't changed their tune and think that United are still after De Jong and also after an other midfielder?

Status
Not open for further replies.