Gaa 2013

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
It to note that that team is already top of the pile in their own county.

By Province
Football
Ulster Crossmaglen (Armagh) 40
Leinster Rathnew (Wicklow) 30
Munster Kilrush Shamrocks (Clare) & Fethard (Tipperary) 21
Connacht Ballina Stephenites (Mayo) 36

Hurling (All)
Ulster Burt (Donegal) 34
Leinster Faughs (Dublin) 31
Munster Mount Sion (Waterford) 35
Connacht Four Roads (Roscommon) 31

Hurling (Liam McCarthy counties)
Ulster Loughiel Shamrocks (Antrim) 19
Leinster Faughs (Dublin) 31
Munster Mount Sion (Waterford) 35
Connacht Castlegar (Galway) 17

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Michael Murphy (c) (Donegal), Aidan Walsh (vc), (Cork), Paddy O’ Rourke (Meath), Colm Begley (Laois), Colm Boyle (Mayo), Ciaran Byrne (Louth), Sean Cavanagh (Tyrone), Paul Conroy (Galway), John Doyle (Kildare), Paul Flynn (Dublin), Finian Hanley (Galway), John Heslin (Westmeath), Darren Hughes (Monaghan), Lee Keegan (Mayo), Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin), Paddy McBrearty (Donegal), Jack McCaffrey (Dublin), Niall Morgan (Tyrone), Neil McGee (Donegal), Chrissy McKaigue (Derry), Ciaran McKeever (Armagh), Kevin McLoughlin (Mayo), Conor McManus (Monaghan), Ross Munnelly (Laois), Aidan Ó Shea (Mayo), Ciaran Sheehan (Cork), Michael Sheilds (Cork), Zach Tuohy (Carlton & Laois), Daithi Waters (Wexford).

Ireland Squad for the international rules.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Glenswilly are trying to get the County final pushed back a week so Murphy can play both. TBF I know it's a major inconvenience to the other players in the club final but if the GAA wants their top players in this thing then they have to accommodate them.

Irwinwastheking

The Donegal board have decided they wont move the county final for Glenswilly meaning Murphy now has to decide if he will captain Ireland or play in a county final for his club. TBH, there's more glory in winning a senior Donegal medal than there is in the other but it might be hard for him to see that. People are popping up to back the Donegal county board and I don't totally disagree with them but it's funny that the Sligo board pushed their senior final back a week so the game wouldn't clash with the FAI cup semi in soccer that Rovers were playing in.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Sligo is a soccer town.
It's a terrible decision for Murphy but the club is his constant and he'd never be forgiven.
We had the same problem in 2000, with county finals and the football replay. Ireland went in with badly prepared or tired players and had our arses handed back to us.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
The Donegal board have decided they wont move the county final for Glenswilly meaning Murphy now has to decide if he will captain Ireland or play in a county final for his club. TBH, there's more glory in winning a senior Donegal medal than there is in the other but it might be hard for him to see that. People are popping up to back the Donegal county board and I don't totally disagree with them but it's funny that the Sligo board pushed their senior final back a week so the game wouldn't clash with the FAI cup semi in soccer that Rovers were playing in.
I agree with the Donegal board here. Sure this compromise rules stuff has gone passed it's sell by date now no?

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
I agree with the Donegal board here. Sure this compromise rules stuff has gone passed it's sell by date now no?

Yep, the club should always come first. You're right about that compromise rules shite as well, I went to a few of them in years gone by and the most exciting thing I found about any of them was the time a Jack Russell somehow managed to make his way out onto the pitch at Croker. He was handy enough too the little fecker.

Irwinwastheking

Yep, the club should always come first. You're right about that compromise rules shite as well, I went to a few of them in years gone by and the most exciting thing I found about any of them was the time a Jack Russell somehow managed to make his way out onto the pitch at Croker. He was handy enough too the little fecker.

I'd agree that the club should come first but my point was that other county boards could move finals for even more tenuous reasons then you would think Donegal could try to too.

As for the compromise rules, so long as they still have sponsors, TV interest and people going to the games the GAA will want to keep it going. It's great for the players too to have something to aim for in terms of national representation. It must be a great feeling to pull on the Green jersey in any sport and our most prized asset the GAA players should be afforded that opportunity.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I'd agree that the club should come first but my point was that other county boards could move finals for even more tenuous reasons then you would think Donegal could try to too.

As for the compromise rules, so long as they still have sponsors, TV interest and people going to the games the GAA will want to keep it going. It's great for the players too to have something to aim for in terms of national representation. It must be a great feeling to pull on the Green jersey in any sport and our most prized asset the GAA players should be afforded that opportunity.
I would agree that national representation is fantastic but what I don't get is what sport they are representing Ireland at? I think you could definitely have an international Gaelic football match between Ireland, Australia, Canada and the USA with the Irish living there and second generation Irish lads that play ball and you could even have an international Aussie rules game between Ireland, Australia and possibly England with the number of Aussie lads and Irish lads that play that sport but the compromise on both sides is too much. I think it's ok for a let your hair down trip for either group after a long season but when it starts interferring with club championship then it can swing for it.

Irwinwastheking

Any international pure GAA match would be so much of a walkover it'd be embarrassing. Could you imagine the All-Star side talking on any team of ex-pats from around the world? Just wouldn't work.

I actually like some of the compromise rules and a few of the components could improve our game. The mark under certain circumstances may well improve fielding and encourage teams to try to field the ball rather than just breaking it. I wouldn't use if for short passes though.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I would agree that national representation is fantastic but what I don't get is what sport they are representing Ireland at? I think you could definitely have an international Gaelic football match between Ireland, Australia, Canada and the USA with the Irish living there and second generation Irish lads that play ball and you could even have an international Aussie rules game between Ireland, Australia and possibly England with the number of Aussie lads and Irish lads that play that sport but the compromise on both sides is too much. I think it's ok for a let your hair down trip for either group after a long season but when it starts interferring with club championship then it can swing for it.
Their is actually an Aussie rules world cup. Australia dont take part in it. All amateur players in it I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Football_International_Cup

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
St. Thomas's All-Ireland hurling champions have been beaten by Portumna in the county semi-final replay at Kenny park Athenry and what a match it was, pure tit for tat from start to finish. Final score Portumna 0-18 : 2-11 St. Thomas's. Canning yet again putting in another master class putting 10 over the bar, he put 13 over last Sunday and he was playing in midfield for both matches. Conor Cooney had a good game too for Thomas's scoring 2-6.

Anyways that's Portumna's 8th time in 11 years to make the county final now and if they can get over Loughrea in the final in a fortnights time and with the form Canning is in, the 06', 08' and 09' AI club champions will take some beating. I know my money will be on them to go the whole way anyways.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko

**not that many people will care but the Leitrim SHC was also played on the weekend just finished and Glencar/Manorhamilton retained their title.

Armagh SFC final
Crossmaglen (40*, holders) v St Patrick's, Cullyhanna (0, -), Athletic Grounds, 5.30pm

Down SFC final
Burren (13*, 2011) v Kilcoo (11, holders), Páirc Esler, 4pm

Donegal SFC final
Glenswilly (1, 2011) v Killybegs (6, 1996), MacCumhail Park, 4pm
Gweedore (14, 2006)

Kerry SFC final
Austin Stacks (11, 1994) v Dr Crokes (9, holders), Fitzgerald Stadium, 3pm
Laune Rangers (12, 1996)

Laois SFC final
Arles-Killeen (0, -) v Portlaoise (29*, holders), O'Moore Park, 4pm

Limerick SFC final
Dromcollogher-Broadford (6, holders) v Monaleen (5, 2011), Newcastlewest GAA, 3.30pm
Commercials (16, 1927)

Meath SFC final
Na Fianna (0, -) v Summerhill (6, 2011), Pairc Tailteann, 3.30pm
Navan O'Mahonys (21, holders)

Waterford SFC final
Ballinacourty (5, 2011) v Stradbally (17, holders), Fraher Field, 3.30pm
Dungarvan (18, 1992)

Carlow SHC final
Mount Leinster Rangers (5, 2012) v St Mullin's (23*, 2010), Dr Cullen Park, 3.45pm

Westmeath SHC final
Castletown Geoghegan (12, 2004) v St Oliver Plunketts (0, -), Cusack Park, 3.45pm
Brownstown (15, 1993)

Wexford SHC final
Ferns St Aidan's (0, -) v Oulart-The Ballagh (10, holders), Wexford Park, 3.15pm
Rathnure (20, 1996)

Wicklow SHC final
Bray Emmets (1, 1952) v Glenealy (13, holders), Aughrim, 3pm
Carnew Emmets (19, 2009)

Irwinwastheking

I was at the Sligo SFC final yesterday. A glorious day for football, but unfortunately for Tubbercurry not a great day for knocking over frees. 11 wides including 5 from frees ultimately cost them in a game that they dominated possession and chances. Really feel for the lad that was kicking the free's as he's been exceptional all year and one of the main reasons they got there. Tourlestrane won thanks to some super efficient forward play. They scored almost all of their chances and were cool enough at the end to win by 3 points.

For Tubber, they started the year in disarray in division 2, won their league undefeated, won the Benson cup and got to their first final in 5 years. All things considered and from where they were last year it's a good year. They are the kingpins of Sligo football as Papi showed last week, but they haven't won the Championship since 1991 and that's a pretty bad hoodoo.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Our club's womens' teams are in the Leinster senior final and intermediate semifinal this weekend. It would be a second Leinster title for the seniors, having won their third Laois title this year. Laois teams have a good record here in the past 4/5 years.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Do you know Colm 'Woolberto' Parkinson at all Big Papi as in know him well? As far as I know he's from your neck of the woods. He's a bit of a character.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
No. But apparently he used to do a lot of research for matches and would know the lineage of each player he was marking....down to who their sister or mother was shagging at that time! Remarkable effort, I assume, to make his opponents more comfortable on the pitch...to let them know they had a friend (or a future relative) on the pitch with them.

He has certainly done well on Newstalk anyway and best of luck to him.

Irwinwastheking

There was a post on Facebook from hogan stand about Sean Cavanagh being offered a 6 figure contract in Australia and few years ago. I'm really pissed off with some of the so called gaa fans in this country. The comments are scandalous about a fantastic amateur player. Disgrace.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
There was a post on Facebook from hogan stand about Sean Cavanagh being offered a 6 figure contract in Australia and few years ago. I'm really pissed off with some of the so called gaa fans in this country. The comments are scandalous about a fantastic amateur player. Disgrace.
Can you repost, as I'm not on fb? Or can I follow a link?

Irwinwastheking

Can you repost, as I'm not on fb? Or can I follow a link?

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=203028

That's the article.

Here's some comments on FB.

Ronan Nobby Mulligan Wat a load of shite,hes obvoiusly regrettn not takin it cus tyrones days r past so now hes makin it public.....
Kevin Gillespie Must think he's playing afl with some of his tackling
Larry Foy He'd fit in well its legal to pull down people

Irwinwastheking

Seems to be a bit of a home bird who loves the GAA and his club. One of the best players in the modern era and easily the best Tyrone player since Canavan hung up his boots. I just really really like Sean and hate to see people give him shit.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Seems to be a bit of a home bird who loves the GAA and his club. One of the best players in the modern era and easily the best Tyrone player since Canavan hung up his boots. I just really really like Sean and hate to see people give him shit.
Begrudgers will begrudge. Incidentally I walked past Bernard Brogan on Harcourt St today. He isnt as tall as me. Useless bastard! :smirk:

Irwinwastheking

Look, people think that way about him now and it's not on.

Anyone watching the game last night? A bit stop start for me but well played our lads. Some difference between now and 20 years ago. Then the aussies were all much bigger and stronger but you don't see that anymore.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Not to sure size makes a difference anyways, they hit the crossbar from 3 yards out and not even a keeper to beat, a pure open goal. A stupid game and one that should be scrapped altogether to feck now. I feel sorry for the poor souls all 17 odd thousand of them that forked out their hard earned cash to go and watch it and a bit for myself as well for putting off going to my normal Saturday night mass for half ten mass this morning just so I could see it, lesson learnt there.

Anyways I hear the Gooch's crowd Dr. Crokes have done a 4 in a row below in Kerry and Oulart-The Ballagh have won their 3rd hurling County final in a row in Wexford.

Big Papi's Portlaoise won the Laois football county final, got it up their holes too by all accounts only a goal separating themselves and Arles/Kileen in the end, 2-8 to 1-8. He'll be downing them tonight no doubt, himself and his 6 year old young lad that rose a sliotar or something for the first time this year.

Irwinwastheking

I wouldn't be as hard as yourself on the series tbp. In sure the crowd there last night seen exactly what they expected and the knew that before they paid. As I've said it gives the lads are chance to wear the green and play alongside the very best from around the country. It is what it is and once every two years it's hardly too much of an inconvenience for those who aren't interested.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Not to sure size makes a difference anyways, they hit the crossbar from 3 yards out and not even a keeper to beat, a pure open goal. A stupid game and one that should be scrapped altogether to feck now. I feel sorry for the poor souls all 17 odd thousand of them that forked out their hard earned cash to go and watch it and a bit for myself as well for putting off going to my normal Saturday night mass for half ten mass this morning just so I could see it, lesson learnt there.

Anyways I hear the Gooch's crowd Dr. Crokes have done a 4 in a row below in Kerry and Oulart-The Ballagh have won their 3rd hurling County final in a row in Wexford.

Big Papi's Portlaoise won the Laois football county final, got it up their holes too by all accounts only a goal separating themselves and Arles/Kileen in the end, 2-8 to 1-8. He'll be downing them tonight no doubt, himself and his 6 year old young lad that rose a sliotar or something for the first time this year.

Christ, I'm not from Portlaoise!! Almost as bad as calling me a Dub.

Portlaoise's win puts them (ahead of next week's Wicklow final), joint-top in Leinster and joint fourth in Ireland for SFC wins. They are the fourth Leinster club and the 14th club overall to get seven-in-a-row or better.

Dr Crokes' win means they're only the third Kerry team to do four-in-a-row or better.

Crossmaglen have won their 41st SFC title. Unreal club.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
I wouldn't be as hard as yourself on the series tbp. In sure the crowd there last night seen exactly what they expected and the knew that before they paid. As I've said it gives the lads are chance to wear the green and play alongside the very best from around the country. It is what it is and once every two years it's hardly too much of an inconvenience for those who aren't interested.

I don't know about that Irwin, I reckon a fair chunk of that 17,000 crowd were expecting a lot more and if they would have known how dire it was going to be they wouldn't have bothered going. A lot of the very best players from around the country weren't wearing the green jersey last night too and by the sounds of things the Aussies didn't like ourselves through one reason or another have their best players out on the pitch either, apparently they had only a total of 80 indigenous players to select a panel or squad from. Last nights show will have put a lot of people that was thinking of going to Croker off now too I'd imagine. The organizers have been to the drawing board so many times now over the years trying to figure out how to make it an interesting spectacle and have failed time and time again. I'm afraid they'll have to call it a day altogether after this year. Let it wither away along with that Ireland v Scotand Shinty shite that used to take place once upon a time.