Gaa 2013

lem8sh

I'm not saying the Ulster championship is bad or weak I'm saying it's not so strong or so competitive that's it's the cause of Sam not heading up there more often. The reason Sam isn't heading up there is because there is a better team or teams somewhere else in the country.

If we're going to start going back through the years well it's not like the Leinster and Connacht championships didn't go through spells where 3/4 teams weren't capable of catching one another out on any given day either and I don't seem to remember any complaints from them about the championship format back then. I'd say many in Connacht and Leinster would love to see those days back again.
Spot on that man

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Spot on that man

But he's not spot on. He's comparing Sligo beating a shite Galway team to lots of teams from Ulster reaching the All-Ireland final which is surely indicitive of greater strength in depth than any other province.

For the record and I think the fourth time, I'm not saying Kerry or Dublin weren't the better team when they won it, just that a strong Ulster team has a greater challenge to win it.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
I'm not able to remember a 20 year period where 4-5 teams from any other province than Ulster have been able to get to All-Ireland finals. In Connaught the last few years Sligo and Roscommon have won with London getting to a final. It's not really the point I'm making because that's more a sign of how shite Connaught has been lately.

If Tyrone were playing there football in Munster I can bet they would have more All-Ireland than they have as you get more opportunities to win them from a weaker province. I explicitly stated that Kerry and Dublin have been by far the best sides over the years but they have a lot more than just raw talent swinging in their favour.

The power shift seems to swing in roundabouts in Ulster, I'm not too sure but was there ever a time in that 20 year period that more than two counties at any given time were realistic AI contenders? Was it not always like it is now for instance? One or two AI contenders and then a few stragglers, some stragglers whom to be fair did have their day in the sun years ago. Galway as shite n' all as they are atm beat one of them this year.

If Tyrone were playing in Munster along with Cork and Kerry they'd get it just as hard to win Munster as they would to win Ulster both now and in the last decade or so.

Irwinwastheking

The power shift seems to swing in roundabouts in Ulster, I'm not too sure but was there ever a time in that 20 year period that more than two counties at any given time were realistic AI contenders? Was it not always like it is now for instance? One or two contenders and then a few stragglers, some stragglers whom to be fair did have their day in the sun years ago.

If Tyrone were playing in Munster along with Cork and Kerry they'd get it just as hard to win Munster as they would to win Ulster both now and in the last decade or so.

Not at all. Half the time the odds would dictate that we would only have to play either Cork or Kerry and not both so essentially we would go from playing 2/3 tough games every year to playing one. How you don't see that as improving our chances of winning more is really beyond me.

Also, do you really doubt that there's more strength in depth in Ulster than any other province? In a three year period in the 90's there was three different Ulster winners of the All-Ireland. The 3rd and 4th best teams in Ulster would win 8/10 games against the 3rd or 4th best teams in the other provinces. There's 3 Ulster counties in Division 1, and 3 in Division 2. All the evidence I keep showing you you simply brush aside in a way I find really surprising.

Irwinwastheking

Oh, and next year there will be 7 Ulster teams in the top two divisions. Surely that's a sure sign of strength in depth??

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Not at all. Half the time the odds would dictate that we would only have to play either Cork or Kerry and not both so essentially we would go from playing 2/3 tough games every year to playing one. How you don't see that as improving our chances of winning more is really beyond me.

Also, do you really doubt that there's more strength in depth in Ulster than any other province? In a three year period in the 90's there was three different Ulster winners of the All-Ireland. The 3rd and 4th best teams in Ulster would win 8/10 games against the 3rd or 4th best teams in the other provinces. There's 3 Ulster counties in Division 1, and 3 in Division 2. All the evidence I keep showing you you simply brush aside in a way I find really surprising.

You're ignoring the point I made about the shite Galway team (according to you) beating one of these so called tough teams that has reached an AI final or two in the last 20 odd years.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
It's great to see you gaelic football lads have so much energy left over from the championship to bicker, hurling people are so drained from such a thrilling championship that the only bickering has been who gets the next round of drinks.

Irwinwastheking

You're ignoring the point I made about the shite Galway team according to you beating one of these so called tough teams that has reached an AI final or two in the last 20 odd years.

No I didn't. I think I referred to Connaught in general being shite and not any particular team which is correct. Sure Mayo were the second best team in the country this year too. Galway beat Armagh at home by a few points and I'm pretty sure the teams I said I was more worried about was Derry and Down. Armagh are a tough side on their day but they are a team in transition. Also I'd classify Armagh as one perhaps the 5-6 strongest team in Ulster at present and I'm pretty sure what I said was that the 3/4 teams in Ulster would beat the 3/4 teams in the other province. Your reply is to say that the second team in Connaught beat the 5-6 team in Ulster by 2 scores. Not exactly convincing.

Did you watch the Derry Vs Down drawn game this year?

Irwinwastheking

Oh the shite Galway team I referred to was the year Sligo beat them as is pretty clear in that post. I was at that game and they were indeed shite that day.

Edit, and it's pretty funny you say I ignored a point when I've done anything but despite you pretty much ignoring every point I made in the post you quoted. ;)

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Look at the end of the day Ulster at the moment only has 2 realistic AI contenders, Connacht has one, Munster 2 and Leinster 1. Ulster might have a few tougher what I'd call 2nd tier teams for their AI contenders to compete with but I think instead of using that as being an unfair advantage you should be damn glad of it. It's like i said if Roscommon, Sligo and Galway became power houses in the Connacht championship in the morning I couldn't see the Mayo crowd cribbing about it, it could be exactly what they need to finally get over the line. I doubt the Dublin supporters would start cribbing about Kildare and Meath becoming power houses again either or indeed any county in Leinster. Just like the Munster hurling supporters are nor never have complained about the stiff opposition in that championship.

Even though I probably watch as much of it as the next lad and head into Pearse stadium every time Galway are playing I'm not really a football man anyways but I have to say Irwin you're coming across as being a bit bitter over something that to me isn't really an issue! Regardless of the format somehow and I'm not to sure the same can be said for every sport the best teams in the country always seem to win the hurling and football championships every year.

Irwinwastheking

I'm not being bitter at all man. I just think it's completely unfair that in the same competition three teams always have an easier path to the final.

You disagree that that's the case and that's fair enough but calling me bitter for arguing that Ulster has more strength in depth seems a very harsh comment. I think you might actually have conceded that it is more difficult to win Ulster and it has more strength in depth but I'm bitter for saying so which is strange.

If as you argue Ulster teams have some advantage by playing more games then surely that's not fair on the likes of Mayo so perhaps the Champions League system would suit them better. It would certainly be fairer and more balanced for all. How it can be argued otherwise will never make any sense to me.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
The difference between now and 40 years ago is that back in the 70s and 80s, the only times it wasn't a Leinster-Munster final is that Ulster-Connacht winners were weak (bar Roscommon for a year or two).

In the entire ten years of 80s, the only time the duopoly of Leinster-Munster finals was broken, was when the cycle involved them playing each other in the semis....1980, 83, 86 and 89 Munster played Leinster in the semis....this died out quite suddenly in the 90s and the noughties heralded the backdoor system anyway, but the Connacht & Ulster teams were now winning All Irelands anyway.

I can have a look at the 70s and the 60s from Galway's 3-in-a-row years.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Tog out and if you're good enough, you're good enough, no matter what it is that's put in front of you and it's as simple as that. No excuses!

Hurling is where it's at now anyways and will be for a fair few years to come too by the looks of things. 3/4 AI contenders in Leinster, 4/5 AI contenders in Munster and instead of complaining we're only relishing it. Frothing at the mouth at the thoughts of it...

Good luck!

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
I'm not being bitter at all man. I just think it's completely unfair that in the same competition three teams always have an easier path to the final.

You disagree that that's the case and that's fair enough but calling me bitter for arguing that Ulster has more strength in depth seems a very harsh comment. I think you might actually have conceded that it is more difficult to win Ulster and it has more strength in depth but I'm bitter for saying so which is strange.

If as you argue Ulster teams have some advantage by playing more games then surely that's not fair on the likes of Mayo so perhaps the Champions League system would suit them better. It would certainly be fairer and more balanced for all. How it can be argued otherwise will never make any sense to me.

Apologies for calling you bitter so. I haven't conceded anything either, I've mentioned the Munster hurling championship I think around 4 times now to counter act your argument and explain what a tough provincial championship can do for a county or counties in terms of bringing their teams on. I don't see why the whole football format or set up should be radically changed just because there's a few footballing counties down south at the moment that are in the middle of a rough patch though. The Ulster counties should be using how competitive it is to their advantage not trying to change things.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
So despite all the evidence you still don't accept that the Ulster championship is more difficult to win?

I already did in post #1850 there above. I never denied it wasn't the toughest football championship to win either I just can't agree with you using that as an excuse or as a type of a handicap when it comes to progressing in All-Ireland's and winning them etc.

We're going around in circles now anyways so I'm going to leave it at that but are you going to accept my apology for saying how I thought you were coming across as being a bit bitter or not?!

Irwinwastheking

I already did in post #1850 there above. I never denied it wasn't the toughest football championship to win either I just can't agree with you using that as an excuse or as a type of a handicap when it comes to progressing in All-Ireland's and winning them etc.

We're going around in circles now anyways so I'm going to leave it at that but are you going to accept my apology for saying how I thought you were coming across as being a bit bitter or not?!

Jeez, that's the bit I meant you accepted, not that it was a handicap.

As for your apology, the comment really hurt. I'm a sensitive soul on here and I've been getting bashed all year. I'll have to sleep on it I think before I decide whether to forgive you. ;)

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
There's absolutely no doubt that being in the Ulster championship makes it harder to win an All-Ireland. Compare Down and Kerry for 2014 (two teams that were just 2 points apart in last year's league).

For Down to qualify for the quarter-finals through Ulster they have to beat (if other favourites win) Tyrone, Monaghan, Armagh and Donegal. If they lost one of those, they'd have to win anything between 1 and 4 qualifiers.

For Kerry to qualify for the quarter-finals through Munster they have to beat (if other favourites win) Clare and Cork. If they lost to Cork (obviously they'll beat Clare), they'd have to win 1 qualifier.

If you look at it with bookmakers' odds it's obvious that it's a lot harder for Down to make the quarters.

Down are 14/1 to win Ulster. Say they lost to Tyrone, or even beat Tyrone and lost to Monaghan. Straight into the first round of the qualifiers. Usually (but not always) that'd mean two games they should win and then two games against the likes of Galway/Kildare/Cork/other beaten Ulster teams. Even if you had them at about 50:50 to win rounds 3 and 4, that'd average them out at about 4/1 with a 2 to 4-game accumulator (2 to 4 qualifiers being what they'd play with anything but reaching the Ulster final). So that's 14/1 to reach the quarters through Ulster and 4/1 through the qualifiers.

Kerry are 10/11 to win Munster. Even if they lose the final to Cork, they're into round 4 of the qualifiers. Treating Kerry the same way we did Down, let's say they'd be 50:50 to win their round 4 qualifier (probably odds on in reality). That's 10/11 to reach the quarters through Munster and 1/1 through the qualifiers.

So Kerry (just 2 league points a better team than Down and 3 points when they met), are 10/11 and if they lose that 1/1 to reach the quarters, whilst Down are 14/1 and if they lose that roughly 4/1.

To remove the difference in quality between the two teams, swap Down for Kerry. Down to win Munster (i.e. beat Cork) would at a guesstimate be 6 or 7/4. Even if they lost that'd put them in round 4 of the qualifiers where we'll stick with those Evens odds. So from 14/1 or 4/1 with a loss, simply by moving province Down are now 7/4 or 1/1 with a loss.

As for the argument of being battle-hardened and then more likely to win, I don't really buy that at all. People can say it about Galway hurling but the reality is their 2012 team was the best team they had in a long time, I wouldn't credit harder provincial games with them nearly winning an All-Ireland. Sure it didn't do Kilkenny's All-Ireland chances much damage all those years cruising through Leinster. And Mayo cruised to the semis this year whilst Tyrone battled there but when it came down to a dogfight, Mayo won, because they're a better team.

tl;dr - Of course being in Ulster makes it harder to win an All-Ireland, you fecking divs.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
So Galway and Antrim are after shooting themselves in the foot then by heading into Leinster. Fair enough.

If the Cork hurlers were like Galway a few years ago getting bye's out of Connacht and being catapulted straight into All-Ireland semi final's there isn't a fecking hope in hell that they'd have ended up in an All-Ireland final this year and be what's now one of the strongest teams in the country in such a short space of time. The more matches a team plays against tough opposition the better it'll be in the long run. Any manager of a county that's sitting on their arses for 4/5 weeks in the middle of the championship or playing meaningless behind closed doors challenges against shite while waiting for a clash with a seasoned and battle hardened county will agree with me. Ulster counties have an advantage when they come up against a county from a non competitive province, whether or not they are good enough to beat those counties is another thing and I suspect that's the real issue here, they weren't this year and some are using the format as an excuse now.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
So Galway and Antrim are after shooting themselves in the foot so by heading into Leinster. Fair enough.

If the Cork hurlers were like Galway a few years ago getting bye's out of Connacht and being catapulted straight into All-Ireland semi final's there isn't a fecking hope in hell that they'd have ended up in an All-Ireland final this year and be what's now one of the strongest teams in the country in such a short space of time. The more matches a team plays against tough opposition the better it'll be in the long run. Any manager of a county that's sitting on their arses for 4/5 weeks or playing meaningless behind closed doors challenges against shite while waiting for a clash with a seasoned and battle hardened county will agree with me. Ulster counties have an advantage when they come up against a county from a non competitive province, whether or not they are good enough to beat those counties is another thing and I suspect that's the real issue here, they weren't this year and some are using the format as an excuse now.
Sure how did Galway win 3 All-Irelands in the 80's so, given they hadn't done a tap until Croker and were coming up against battle-hardened teams? How did Kilkenny win 7 All-Irelands in 10 years after cruising through Leinster? In fact, the first year Galway came into Leinster and gave Kilkenny some semblance of a challenge, 2010, Kilkenny lost the All-Ireland final they had won the last 4 years with Galway back wesht. How did Mayo (who'd won their last 4 by 17, 12, 16 and 16 points) beat Tyrone (who'd won their last 4 by 2, 2, 2 and 2 points?) in last year's semis, in a real dogfight? Not to mention Mayo battering battle-hardened Donegal, Kerry walloping battle-hardened Cavan... generally the best teams win, and all the rest is bollocks.

Even if we take it as true that the Ulster counties who reach the latter stages have an edge against sides that cruised through, sure that's great for them. What about all the other perfectly competent Ulster teams who are already out by that stage having played one tough match-up too many? No, I'm sure they're perfectly happy that they've served to make the team that beat them battle-hardened, whilst the likes of Kerry/Cork/Mayo breeze through to Croker.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Sure how did Galway win 3 All-Irelands in the 80's so, given they hadn't done a tap until Croker and were coming up against battle-hardened teams? How did Kilkenny win 7 All-Irelands in 10 years after cruising through Leinster? In fact, the first year Galway came into Leinster and gave Kilkenny some semblance of a challenge, 2010, Kilkenny lost the All-Ireland final they had won the last 4 years with Galway back wesht. How did Mayo (who'd won their last 4 by 17, 12, 16 and 16 points) beat Tyrone (who'd won their last 4 by 2, 2, 2 and 2 points?) in last year's semis, in a real dogfight? Not to mention Mayo battering battle-hardened Donegal, Kerry walloping battle-hardened Cavan... generally the best teams win, and all the rest is bollocks.

Even if we take it as true that the Ulster counties who reach the latter stages have an edge against sides that cruised through, sure that's great for them. What about all the other perfectly competent Ulster teams who are already out by that stage having played one tough match-up too many? No, I'm sure they're perfectly happy that they've served to make the team that beat them battle-hardened, whilst the likes of Kerry/Cork/Mayo breeze through to Croker.
Yeah, nearly 30 years ago. Would you not agree that for a hurling county like Galway with the talent that came and went over the coarse of that time that there must be something behind us not winning an All-Ireland for so long? Do you think the Galway county board made a wrong decision in joining Leinster? I can tell you now that in general Galway hurling supporters don't.

Kilkenny won 7 All-Irelands in 10 year because they were the best hurling team to ever grace a pitch in the country, a freak of nature.

Maybe the fact that Ulster is so competitive is the reason they have had like Irwin pointed out earlier 5 different All-Ireland winning counties in the last 20 odd years too.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Yeah, nearly 30 years ago. Would you not agree that for a hurling county like Galway with the talent that came and went over the coarse of that time that there must be something behind us not winning an All-Ireland for so long? Do you think the Galway county board made a wrong decision in joining Leinster? I can tell you now that in general Galway hurling supporters don't.

Kilkenny won 7 All-Irelands in 10 year because they were the best hurling team to ever grace a pitch in the country, a freak of nature.

Maybe the fact that Ulster is so competitive is the reason they have had like Irwin pointed out earlier 5 different All-Ireland winning counties in the last 20 odd years too.
What year did Galway have the best team in the country and didn't win an All-Ireland where you felt it could be put down to lack of hard matches?

Irwinwastheking

So Galway and Antrim are after shooting themselves in the foot then by heading into Leinster. Fair enough.

If the Cork hurlers were like Galway a few years ago getting bye's out of Connacht and being catapulted straight into All-Ireland semi final's there isn't a fecking hope in hell that they'd have ended up in an All-Ireland final this year and be what's now one of the strongest teams in the country in such a short space of time. The more matches a team plays against tough opposition the better it'll be in the long run. Any manager of a county that's sitting on their arses for 4/5 weeks in the middle of the championship or playing meaningless behind closed doors challenges against shite while waiting for a clash with a seasoned and battle hardened county will agree with me. Ulster counties have an advantage when they come up against a county from a non competitive province, whether or not they are good enough to beat those counties is another thing and I suspect that's the real issue here, they weren't this year and some are using the format as an excuse now.

Where?? This type of debating annoys the hole off me to be honest. The reason Tyrone were beat this year by Mayo was a combination of the fact that the ref in the previous game sent one of our men off for a push and the CCC wouldn't rescind the red on a technicality, the CCC then upset our preparation by banning one of our players for nothing and then rescinding it, but by far and away the overwhelming reason Tyrone and Donegal got beat was because Mayo were the better team.

I have never today or this year mentioned the format as a reason why Mayo put us out of the All-Ireland.

Irwinwastheking

What year did Galway have the best team in the country and didn't win an All-Ireland where you felt it could be put down to lack of hard matches?

The same with Mayo and the football. they piss their was to loads of finals but do they ever go into the finals as favourites?

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land

If I'm being honest I'd say Galway always had a team that probably up until the Kilkenny dominance started (and note a Galway U21 team beat the core of that Kilkenny team in the 2005' U21 final) that was just as good if not better than any county that won it since 1988. There's no denying the success Galway has had at minor and U21 level since they last won a senior, same with the club scene, how it hasn't transpired to a single senior All-Ireland since has to be down to something. Maybe if Galway were competing down in Munster all along like Cork they too as a result of a tough competitive provincial championship would have being able to harness all that underage success into senior All-Irelands.

Out of interest what southern football county won an All-Ireland that weren't the best in the country at the time or won it at the expense of an Ulster county that lost out due to the tough competition there?

I can't believe we're even debating about an extra game or two in a province that despite being the most difficult to win and that would hardly be a hard thing these days being such a problem. You'd swear Ulster was some sort of group of death with a fixture list of 8 games or something. Two AI contenders and a few has been's and that's how it's nearly always has been despite power changes over the last 20 years.

Irwinwastheking

If I'm being honest I'd say Galway always had a team that probably up until the Kilkenny dominance started (and note a Galway U21 team beat the core of that Kilkenny team in the 2005' U21 final) that was just as good if not as good as any county that won it since 1988. There's no denying the success Galway has had at minor and U21 level since they last won a senior, same with the club scene, how it hasn't transpired to a single senior All-Ireland since has to be down to something. Maybe if Galway were competing down in Munster all along like Cork they too as a result of a tough competitive provincial championship would have being able to harness all that underage success into senior All-Irelands.

Out of interest what southern football county won an All-Ireland that weren't the best in the country at the time or won it at the expense of an Ulster county that lost out due to the tough competition there?

I can't believe we're even debating about an extra game or two in a province that despite being the most difficult to win and that would hardly be a hard thing these days being such a problem. You'd swear Ulster was some sort of group of death with a fixture list of 8 games or something. Two AI contenders and a few has been's and that's how it's nearly always has been despite power changes over the last 20 years.

Didn't you give a valid reason for this earlier in the year? The lads from the different clubs don't get on.

Also, as you said this KK side have been magnificent recently so you had to beat the best side of all time to win one.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Didn't you give a valid reason for this earlier in the year? The lads from the different clubs don't get on.

Also, as you said this KK side have been magnificent recently so you had to beat the best side of all time to win one.

I gave a reason for this years demise shortly after our championship exit and again two days ago in fact I predicted it was going to happen a few weeks before it did, on here as well. That was the in house shit I was referring too earlier today that I hope gets sorted out soon and hopefully next Sundays county semi-final between St. Thomas's and Portumna will shed some light on what the situation is there.

Irwinwastheking

Just to add that having a top top club or two doesn't necessarily translate to All-Ireland success. Look at Roscommon and Armagh in the football for great examples.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Just to add that having a top top club or two doesn't necessarily translate to All-Ireland success. Look at Roscommon and Armagh in the football for great examples.

I know that but the thing is Galway just doesn't have a top club or two, 7 different Galway clubs have won an All Ireland club hurling championship in the last 22 years winning 11, runners up 6 times.

In the same amount of time Galway have racked up 6 U21 titles and were runners up 8 times.

8 minor titles, runners up 8 times.

Senior titles zilch. The county board and supporters a like were sick of year in year out watching the seniors getting caught cold and being 2nd to everything or in short not remotely as bad as they were looking out on the pitch against these seasoned battle hardened sides and it was all down to the easy route thing hence the move to a tougher and more competitive championship in Leinster. Antrim have done the same. Both counties are fecking divs for exiting the easier route process and jumping in to a more competitive championship though. I'm not to sure where Feeky is from Cork or Clare but he's deluded if he thinks a tough Munster championship and a back door system which involved them playing even more matches didn't play a huge part in the progress both counties have made this year.

Irwinwastheking

I can't claim to know a thing about hurling because I don't but don't you see the difference between a piss easy football championship for the top teams who have at least two games and at least one against good opposition normally to what Galway and Antrim must have faced prior to this move. There's no other hurling in Connaught and Ulster is as bad.

On that, there's a lad from Sligo in the town I'm living who was a freak in this part of the world. He played railway cup hurling for connaught and it was him and 20 odd Galway lads. They reckon he could have been a top player.

There's a movement in Ulster hurling at the moment and I don't know the full in's and out's but the jist of it is that Gaelic Football and Hurling is the only sport in the world where you have no prospect in the world of getting to the top level if you aren't born in the right place. I think they might have been trying to enter a 'rest of ulster' side or something along those lines so if you take Antrim out any lad good enough from the rest of the province can play for one county board. It's an interesting prospect and may encourage talented young hurlers in non hurling counties to stick with it rather than going to football which has more glory in the likes of Tyrone.

What's your thoughts on somehting like that. I suppose you could have a 'rest of connaught' team too.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Hurling is where it's at now anyways and will be for a fair few years to come too by the looks of things. 3/4 AI contenders in Leinster, 4/5 AI contenders in Munster and instead of complaining we're only relishing it. Frothing at the mouth at the thoughts of it...

Good luck!
I'm only joining this late but potentially with 4 good contenders in each province, it levels the playing field nicely for hurling.

As for the provincial set-up, preparing for a season is all about peaking at the right time. Dublin, for a good few years, thought winning Leinsters was enough until they got their arses handed back to them in the AI series. Then, in 10, they seemed to alter their approach, lost in Leinster but looked a more serious AI team. I think they have now an approach that can permit them to win Leinster, off-peak and still be in the frame for the AI.

The complaints about Kerry, esp if the draw only brought them up against Cork in the Munster final, was that their season could be graded carefully for the Munster final in July, then the AI series. In the old days, with seeding in place, this was the case year-in, year-out.

Look at Ulster this year, two heavy-weights met in May. This then lead to Down and Monaghan. Any fitness regime I have done has seen it 'easier' to rech fitness, than maintain. Anyone can get fit, but timing it correctly is the key. To peak in May, as Donegal did, made it impossible to maintain until September.

On my earlier point, from 1967 until 1990 (inclusive), Leinster and Munster played 2/3 of the cycles except for 1974 when Galway beat Offaly. That's 24 finals, 8 of which were Leinster/Munster semis and only one of the other 16 had an "upset".

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Just in the door from the county semi's in Athenry, I got drownded to the bollix but it was well worth it.

Loughrea hammered the shite out of Beagh which was of no great surprise. Beagh are a small club that really shouldn't have made the semi's but somehow did. Anyways the quality of the Loughrea lads involved with the county set up stuck out like a sore thumb and Beagh with no apparent game plan were just chasing shadows, a helicopter was the only way they would have gotten in at the Loughrea half back line.

Then the clash of the titans took place. They came from far and near to see this one. All Ireland champions St. Thomas's or the Burke family (6 brothers on the team, father managing them and a few cousin's) took on Portumna whom not that long ago were ruling the roost on the AI club scene. Not going to bore anyone with what went on but Portumna or it could be said Joe Canning on his own had Thomas's on the ropes up until the last 3/4 mins, Portumna were up by 5 points when Thomas's got a goal and followed that up with 2 quick points, equalizer being the last puck of the match. It finished all square so they'll have to go at it again. One thing I will say though is that Joe Canning is something else and seeing him in action is well worth the admission fee on it's own.

Portumna 0-22 : 1-19 St.Thomas'

Loughrea 2-18 : 1-11 Beagh

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
I saw Canning up close for the first time in Portlaoise this year and he got one score, almost over his shoulder, chased by three players. Unreal.

Irwinwastheking

Sligo county final next Sunday should be fun. Prop not the best final in the country for quality but it's two neighbouring parishes from South Sligo including my local club. Will be a close thing and a complete battle.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Sligo county final next Sunday should be fun. Prop not the best final in the country for quality but it's two neighbouring parishes from South Sligo including my local club. Will be a close thing and a complete battle.
One thing about the Sligo SFC is that it has had no team winning back-to-back finals since St Patricks completed a 2-in-a-row in 1989. No other county in hurling or football comes close to that.

Irwinwastheking

The football here is good craic. Most of the teams try to play football so the games are good to watch.

One of the Tubber players was top of the worldwide fantasy football league up to this weekend. He's No2 now but still flying.

Big Papi

I ❤ Clucko
Sunday 13 October

Carlow SFC final
Old Leighlin (3, 2011) v Rathvilly (7, 2009), Dr Cullen Park, 3.45pm
Eire Og (26, holders)

Cavan SFC final
Ballinagh (0, -) v Cavan Gaels (12, 2011), Kingspan Breffni Park, 4pm
Cornafean (20, 1956). Ballinagh may have won the title in 1960, following a clusterfeck year. http://ballinaghgaa.com/history.aspx

Cork SFC final
Castlehaven (4, 2012) v Nemo Rangers (18*, 2010), Páirc Uí Chaoimh, 3.45pm

Galway SFC final
Corofin (14, 2011) v Salthill/Knocknacarra (3, holders), Tuam Stadium, 4pm
Tuam Stars (26, 1994)

Kildare SFC final
Moorefield (6, 2010) v Sarsfields (22*, holders), St Conleths Park, 3.30pm

Monaghan SFC final
Clontibret (15, 2010) v Scotstown (14, 1993), St Tiernach's Park, 3.30pm
Castleblayney Faughs (37, 2003)

Offaly SFC final
Rhode (25, holders) v Tullamore (26*, 2007), O'Connor Park, 3.30pm

Sligo SFC final
Tourlestrane (10, 2011) v Tubbercurry (19*, 1991), Markievicz Park, 3.30pm

Tyrone SFC final
Carrickmore (15*, 2005) v Clonoe (7, 2008), Healy Park, 3.30pm

Westmeath SFC final
St Lomans (3, 1963) v Tyrrellspass (3, 2007), Cusack Park, 3.30pm
Athlone (19, 1998)

Kerry SHC final
Lixnaw (7, 2007) v St Brendan's (0, -), Austin Stack Park, 3pm
Ballyduff (24, holders)

Mayo SHC final
Ballyhaunis (9, holders) v Tooreen (26*, 2003), Ballyhaunis GAA, 2pm

Roscommon SHC final
Four Roads (31*, holders) v Oran (5, 2004), Athleague, TBC

Tipperary SHC final
Loughmore Castleiney (2, 2007) v Nenagh Eire Og (1, 1995), Semple Stadium, 3.30pm
Thurles Sarsfields (32, holders)

Waterford SHC final
Ballygunner (12, 2011) v Passage (0, -), Walsh Park, 3.30pm
Mount Sion (35, 2006)