GAA 2023

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Yeah, if Dublin put 15 mins in they should win it. Some very poor spells in that half.

A good watch though.
It's been great. I generally dislike labelling the Ulster teams as being negative, but the difference in enjoyment when it's 2 from Mayo, Kerry, and Dublin is so large, compared to when Donegal or Tyrone are in there.

Charlie Foley

It's been great. I generally dislike labelling the Ulster teams as being negative, but the difference in enjoyment when it's 2 from Mayo, Kerry, and Dublin is so large, compared to when Donegal or Tyrone are in there.
That’s their own fault

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Dublin have been much better in the half.
Mayo goal here would make it interesting heading into the last 10 mins

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah, until Dublin throttled them that was a great match to watch.

Tyrone for me, although arguably the most cynical, can always play too.

always_hoping

Dublin have found their mojo again. If they avoid Kerry in the draw it should be Dublin v Kerry All Ireland. Elsewhere Armagh must hate the sight of penalties now they are as bad as England on them, I'll never warm to penalties to decide a GAA match.
That post of mine a few months ago has aged well.

Charlie Foley

Great game. Wonderful save at the end. Clare cost themselves with the goal when they had all the momentum in the world

BD

Can't help but think that watching this game will be a waste of time. Dublin by 7+ in the end

kidbob

Monaghan learning what we did in the Leinster final. You can deal with the first 15 but the bench is the killer. Anyway I see nothing from the Dubs to suggest they trouble Kerry. They need to hope for a Derry miracle tomorrow.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Monaghan learning what we did in the Leinster final. You can deal with the first 15 but the bench is the killer. Anyway I see nothing from the Dubs to suggest they trouble Kerry. They need to hope for a Derry miracle tomorrow.

Dublin are closer to Kerry than anyone is to Dublin I reckon, but Kerry are defo favourites.

But Derry will make that whole conversation premature.

Maybe.

Charlie Foley

Don’t put that bad juju out there you knob

kidbob

Dublin are closer to Kerry than anyone is to Dublin I reckon, but Kerry are defo favourites.

But Derry will make that whole conversation premature.

Maybe.
I agree they are but the issue being that no one is realistically close to Dublin so despite being closer to Kerry the Dubs aren't actually that close to them.

Football is dead for me. My team (Kildare) gave an all time performance in losing the Leinster final but we still lost. There is nothing we can do to get closer to the Dubs. The gap will get wider and wider. I don't see any team beating them in Leinster again in my lifetime (I'm in my 30s). They just have too many resources. We'll see the odd upstart like this Kerry team but ultimately with the population and over funding Dublin will dominate most of the time long term.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I agree they are but the issue being that no one is realistically close to Dublin so despite being closer to Kerry the Dubs aren't actually that close to them.

Football is dead for me. My team (Kildare) gave an all time performance in losing the Leinster final but we still lost. There is nothing we can do to get closer to the Dubs. The gap will get wider and wider. I don't see any team beating them in Leinster again in my lifetime (I'm in my 30s). They just have too many resources. We'll see the odd upstart like this Kerry team but ultimately with the population and over funding Dublin will dominate most of the time long term.
Yeah we'd all love a more competitive All Ireland. Kildare and Meath apart obviously, nobody would mind if neither of them or Mayo never won a game again.

edgecutter

Ref rode Monaghan with some bizarre decisions. And how Dublin's full forward is constantly allowed to take 10 steps and not get called for over carrying is a complete joke.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Ref rode Monaghan with some bizarre decisions. And how Dublin's full forward is constantly allowed to take 10 steps and not get called for over carrying is a complete joke.

I thought the ref was great. I felt put upon for a few harsh frees against us but he gave the same frees for us.

BD

I thought the ref was great. I felt put upon for a few harsh frees against us but he gave the same frees for us.
People on boards.ie moaning away about the ref, but I thought he was fine. (don't ask why I was looking on that toilet of a forum - I guess I was starved for comments on the game)

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
People on boards.ie moaning away about the ref, but I thought he was fine. (don't ask why I was looking on that toilet of a forum - I guess I was starved for comments on the game)
Christ I thought he was fine. He even broke the rules and used unofficial VAR against us but got that right too.

edgecutter

Christ I thought he was fine. He even broke the rules and used unofficial VAR against us but got that right too.
If you're a Dublin fan he was great. He gave non frees for Dublin in the first half that should never been called. Gary Mone also went up for a ball fairly in the air and a foul called against him. He was consistent in giving soft frees for Dublin all game.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
If you're a Dublin fan he was great. He gave non frees for Dublin in the first half that should never been called. Gary Mone also went up for a ball fairly in the air and a foul called against him. He was consistent...giving soft frees for Dublin all game.

Monaghan are a tiny county and the ref was a homer

Like I said he gave soft frees to both teams. Monaghan got two kickable frees from soft decisions and missed one.

Mentioning the size of Monaghan makes me think you are speaking emotionally.

If he gave Dublin a decision based on the on screen replay yis'd be going mental.

He gave a technical foul against Con while he was being manhandled.

He, like everyone on the pitch made a few errors, overall he was grand.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I have been texting three mates from Monaghan who were there and to their credit none of them have had a pop at the ref.

The best text was " No regrets. Pints and a bit of roaring make the Greatest of days!"

edgecutter

I have been texting three mates from Monaghan who were there and to their credit none of them have had a pop at the ref.

The best text was " No regrets. Pints and a bit of roaring make the Greatest of days!"
Hard to see in the stands. You can clearly see it on Tv, and any momentum for Monaghan was taken away from them by the ref at various points. Dublin are a better team and 9/10 win that game with ease, it's hard pill to swallow when the ref gives some soft frees that resulted in scores and you are chasing a team that have so much fire power on their bench. Plus, Hurson isn't a good ref and clearly overweight for such a big game.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Hard to see in the stands. You can clearly see it on Tv, and any momentum for Monaghan was taken away from them by the ref at various points. Dublin are a better team and 9/10 win that game with ease, it's hard pill to swallow when the ref gives some soft frees that resulted in scores and you are chasing a team that have so much fire power on their bench. Plus, Hurson isn't a good ref and clearly overweight for such a big game.

He gave soft frees to both sides. You only saw half of them.

Poor finishing killed their momentum.

Charlie Foley

That was a great bit of common sense refereeing I thought, after an absolute toilet decision to give the 45 :lol:

cyberman

Ryan should be punished for that

Edit the mark is still a shite rule