GAA 2023

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That was a proper good game that.

Brophs

The One and Only
This lot literally have fellas going off to qualify as doctors out of sheer lack of footballing challenge and you want me to give them a round of applause? Not today. Not ever. Not in this Ireland, my Ireland, the new Ireland.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
This lot literally have fellas going off to qualify as doctors out of sheer lack of footballing challenge and you want me to give them a round of applause? Not today. Not ever. Not in this Ireland, my Ireland, the new Ireland.
He wanted to take a break from winning and help sick children. He's a modern hero.

Gavinb33

Watched this on the BBC today not sure I really understood the scoring, is a goal over the posts worth more than one into the net?

I enjoyed the spectacle of the game though, also another question these lads not getting paid Croke Park looked jam packed?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Watched this on the BBC today not sure I really understood the scoring, is a goal over the posts worth more than one into the net?

I enjoyed the spectacle of the game though, also another question these lads not getting paid Croke Park looked jam packed?
A point over the bar is worth 1 point and a goal into the net is worth 3 points.

Hadnt realised this was on the BBC or I’d have thrown it on, although another Dublin win isn’t too bad I missed it.

It’s fully amateur. None of the players are paid but all expenses covered. These days many of the top players will have sponsorship deals and you’ll be a local celebrity which helps in securing better 9-5 jobs but no pay for playing. If you noticed a Dean Rock on the Dublin bench today, years ago now we actually organized a job for him out in Toronto to come play for our club but fell through when he got his call up to the Dublin panel.

The proceeds are used to fund the sport up and down the country and globally. The quality of pitches, training gear, club facilities etc for even small villages can be very good and it’s funded a lot by grants and stuff from the GAA. Being involved in the game in Canada we even get grants too. It would help support travel costs to take part in North American championships in USA and now the world games in Ireland. Both of which were also this past week and Canada was involved in the women’s international finals which went to double overtime and golden score after an unbelievable back and forth match. In a way, the GAA thankfully still holds some of the community spirits and involvement that association football lost decades ago to capitalism.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Didn’t realise that this was all amateur stuff. I wonder if this sport has some similar roots with Aussie rules because there are definite similarities

Gavinb33

A point over the bar is worth 1 point and a goal into the net is worth 3 points.

Hadnt realised this was on the BBC or I’d have thrown it on, although another Dublin win isn’t too bad I missed it.

It’s fully amateur. None of the players are paid but all expenses covered. These days many of the top players will have sponsorship deals and you’ll be a local celebrity which helps in securing better 9-5 jobs but no pay for playing. If you noticed a Dean Rock on the Dublin bench today, years ago now we actually organized a job for him out in Toronto to come play for our club but fell through when he got his call up to the Dublin panel.

The proceeds are used to fund the sport up and down the country and globally. The quality of pitches, training gear, club facilities etc for even small villages can be very good and it’s funded a lot by grants and stuff from the GAA. Being involved in the game in Canada we even get grants too. It would help support travel costs to take part in North American championships in USA and now the world games in Ireland. Both of which were also this past week and Canada was involved in the women’s international finals which went to double overtime and golden score after an unbelievable back and forth match. In a way, the GAA thankfully still holds some of the community spirits and involvement that association football lost decades ago to capitalism.
Nice one thanks, on the scoring do they kick over the bar more for accumulation of points and the fact it's easier as you don't have to get as close as you do to put it in the net?

That's interesting about the players not getting paid etc, I take it the regular season games are played out in provincial stadiums are those games usually well attended?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Didn’t realise that this was all amateur stuff. I wonder if this sport has some similar roots with Aussie rules because there are definite similarities
There’s been a few Ireland vs Australia combined rules matches over the years. A bastardised mix of the two sports. Memorable mainly because of the extreme violence.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Nice one thanks, on the scoring do they kick over the bar more for accumulation of points and the fact it's easier as you don't have to get as close as you do to put it in the net?

That's interesting about the players not getting paid etc, I take it the regular season games are played out in provincial stadiums are those games usually well attended?
Exactly yeah, it's much easier. Easier is relative though, the skill of the top guys means that they score sensational points in reality that are way beyond most people.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Exactly yeah, it's much easier. Easier is relative though, the skill of the top guys means that they score sensational points in reality that are way beyond most people.

Graham Geraghty (the absolute cnut) scored a point from what my memory says was a couple of yards in from the corner. Went way higher than the posts. It was magic. He was an amazing player. And did I mention he was an absolute cnut?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Good game. Disappointed that Kerry didn’t win, but enjoyable watch unlike a lot of recent GAA

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Graham Geraghty (the absolute cnut) scored a point from what my memory says was a couple of yards in from the corner. Went way higher than the posts. It was magic. He was an amazing player. And did I mention he was an absolute cnut?
He lives near me and he's still a prick.
I'd see him regularly in the supermarket and local and he's so punchable.
He was class on the pitch though

McGrathsipan

McGrathsipan

His relationship with The Hill was pure theatre. Amazing footballer.
I was on the hill many a game hurling abuse at him. He didn't give a feck and he loved it. That annoyed us more.
The hill wasn't for the faint hearted

Ole90+3

Clifford was built up too much in the buildup as the man who was going to win it on his own.
He was well marked but still got 3 points.

You have to give it to his marker. Fitzsimons did a fantastic job on him.

Two great players
Nah Clifford had several good chances to extend Kerry’s goal lead, and chances at the end to equalise. Some awful shot selection and decision making in general. He bottled it yesterday

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Nah Clifford had several good chances to extend Kerry’s goal lead, and chances at the end to equalise. Some awful shot selection and decision making in general. He bottled it yesterday
He bottled nothing. He had a poor day out by his own high standards. He has won silverware in quantity since he was a kid. He scored 3 points in an all Ireland final. The man of the match got 5.
He missed two chances that he'd usually score. Tried a few tricky ones that he'd score on a good day. That's the opposite of bottling it.
Mick Fitzsimons played a blinder and the whole Dublin team was set up to stifle him.

Pirlo'sBeard

Clifford was built up too much in the buildup as the man who was going to win it on his own.
He was well marked but still got 3 points.

You have to give it to his marker. Fitzsimons did a fantastic job on him.

Two great players
The marker did well but Clifford was completely off it. He missed some points he would normally score with his eyes closed.

Only 24, so I'm sure he'll have many more opportunities.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He bottled nothing. He had a poor day out by his own high standards. He has won silverware in quantity since he was a kid. He scored 3 points in an all Ireland final. The man of the match got 5.
He missed two chances that he'd usually score. Tried a few tricky ones that he'd score on a good day. That's the opposite of bottling it.
Mick Fitzsimons played a blinder and the whole Dublin team was set up to stifle him.
Plus his pass for the Kerry goal was truly exceptional.

McGrathsipan

Cliffords performance was good by anyone elses standard.
His own ambition was probably against him with some of his shot selections but he was still a constant threat and always had to be marshalled well.
Ill give the Dublin set up and defensive efforts much credit here- the way to stop Clifford is to not let the ball get to him - and they did that very well. Clifford didnt get the ball as much as he normally does

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Cliffords performance was good by anyone elses standard.
His own ambition was probably against him with some of his shot selections but he was still a constant threat and always had to be marshalled well.
Ill give the Dublin set up and defensive efforts much credit here- the way to stop Clifford is to not let the ball get to him - and they did that very well. Clifford didnt get the ball as much as he normally does
Totally, you have to take into account who he was playing against, these boys have won 9 out of 12 all Irelands, 2 of the last 4 and lost the 2 semis by one score. The most dominant side in the history of the sport and he scored 3 and set up 5 points. Con, who is another class act was scoreless and not a word said.

McGrathsipan

Totally, you have to take into account who he was playing against, these boys have won 9 out of 12 all Irelands, 2 of the last 4 and lost the 2 semis by one score. The most dominant side in the history of the sport and he scored 3 and set up 5 points. Con, who is another class act was scoreless and not a word said.
Its the fecking media hyping lads then glee when they dont shoot the lights out you also have to remember his mother died very recently. Grief is an energy sapper too!

Clifford is a machine - end of story.
The media and internet trolls can do one

Brophs

The One and Only
The GAA really missed a trick calling it camogie and not gurling.