Gabriel Jesus | Arsenal

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
Meh, don't like the thought of him going to City. He's got ability, he's young and he's Brazilian. Would rather he stays at home a little longer. I don't like feeling envious about lessers. I will do if Jesus signs for that lot. It's literally blasphemy.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I can't understand these "greater than Neymar" comments. At his age Neymar was already the source for multiple spent boxes of muppet kleenex around Europe, people had hardly heard about Gabriel Jesus just a few months ago.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
You cannot be serious with that statement!!! City's signings are seriously underwhelming! Unless you think Gundugon will find a cure for his chronic injury record?
Chronic injury record being a spinal injury that kept him out for a year that is now fixed, and a freak dislocation of his knee which is also now fixed - the only other injury he's had that kept him out for multiple games is a bruised foot (which was also when all the rumours of City buying him arose, so not even sure his missed games were entirely injury related). Hardly repeated muscular injuries that you'd associate with someone as injury prone (e.g. Kompany). So 2 surgically repaired injuries and a bad bruise is his chronic injury record, can't help but feel United fans might be disappointed with his lack of actual injury proneness once he's recovered from this knee surgery!
So, in January they will have five offensive wonderkids (Sterling, Sané, Zinchenko, Ihenacho, Jesus) in an offensive unit consisting of three established top class players (De Bruyne, Aguero, Silva) and a couple of good other attackers. How in the world is Guardiola supposed to fit them all in and develop them properly? Even with the amount of games City will probably play this will be a bloody competition and one hell of a task to balance that all.
I imagine Zinchenko will end up loaned out, he's been utilised at CAM in pre-season, which obviously is a spot going to be held by Silva & De Bruyne.
Sterling with fight with Nolito for the left wing. Iheanacho will play second fiddle to Aguero at striker, Sane will start on the right/rotate with Navas.

So for me the only player I'm unsure what we'll do with is Jesus, I'm sure we've bought him with a plan/position in mind though, guess we'll wait & see. If we end up playing 2 up top at all we'll be needing another striker to rotate in so that's an option.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Nailed on to be a future star.

I don't think we're that attractive to young forwards. We already have Munir, Turan, Denis Suarez and Rafinha, all can play up front. Yet they won't really get that many appearances there unless in the case of a MSN injury or playing in the Copa del Rey.
Too early, IMHO, to be nailed on anything. Even Neymar didn't come over until he was already 21.

Pep is a big draw for an attacking player, not surprised. I liked his profile as a player for Barcelona more than Gabigol plus he could indeed become a future star - has a very versatile game. At least he'll get superb tutelage and hopefully make the most of his opportunities - we'll check back in a couple of years to see what he's started to turn into.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Chronic injury record being a spinal injury that kept him out for a year that is now fixed, and a freak dislocation of his knee which is also now fixed - the only other injury he's had that kept him out for multiple games is a bruised foot (which was also when all the rumours of City buying him arose, so not even sure his missed games were entirely injury related). Hardly repeated muscular injuries that you'd associate with someone as injury prone (e.g. Kompany). So 2 surgically repaired injuries and a bad bruise is his chronic injury record, can't help but feel United fans might be disappointed with his lack of actual injury proneness once he's recovered from this knee surgery!

I imagine Zinchenko will end up loaned out, he's been utilised at CAM in pre-season, which obviously is a spot going to be held by Silva & De Bruyne.
Sterling with fight with Nolito for the left wing. Iheanacho will play second fiddle to Aguero at striker, Sane will start on the right/rotate with Navas.

So for me the only player I'm unsure what we'll do with is Jesus, I'm sure we've bought him with a plan/position in mind though, guess we'll wait & see. If we end up playing 2 up top at all we'll be needing another striker to rotate in so that's an option.
Who gets to be the true playmaker between KDB and Silva. I think one of the two has to be benched.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
Who gets to be the true playmaker between KDB and Silva. I think one of the two has to be benched.
Yep always been my issue with having both, quite clearly both prefer the central role although can feature wider. Wouldn't be surprised given our lack of purchases at centre midfield if maybe Silva/Nasri ended up playing a deeper role, sort of closer to a Xavi/Iniesta position rather than sitting so close to the striker in the hole.

Noc-Z

ffs
It's all fixed is it? OK then. Once he's recovered? When will that be? I'm not quaking in my boots just yet!

Fenomeno9

Moved to early IMO and no he isn't better than Neymar. He and Gabigol are the best attacking prospects we have at the moment though.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
It's all fixed is it? OK then. Once he's recovered? When will that be? I'm not quaking in my boots just yet!
If you want details I can go into it! To keep it reasonably simple though; usually with a patellar dislocation you'd just treat with physio, strengthening the muscles surrounding the knee to prevent re-occurrence, this gives a shorter period of recovery however leaves you with a decent chance of re-occurrence happening, especially in people undertaking sports such as football. Or, as in Gundogan's case, if you suspect a reason for the dislocation or want to stabilise the patellar further you can have surgery, this will get you back down to essentially standard levels of risk for dislocation happening in the future (i.e. he'll have the same risk as any United player has of dislocating theirs) - with surgery though the recovery time will be increased, hence why he's now out for longer than it would usually take to recover from this injury.

So yes, in terms of his knee it's now fixed, not sure when he had the op but from what I've read in recent interviews he's expected back around the time of the first international break (just before the derby).

Not sure what your posts point was exactly, but hope that helped :wenger:

Noc-Z

ffs
If you want details I can go into it! To keep it reasonably simple though; usually with a patellar dislocation you'd just treat with physio, strengthening the muscles surrounding the knee to prevent re-occurrence, this gives a shorter period of recovery however leaves you with a decent chance of re-occurrence happening, especially in people undertaking sports such as football. Or, as in Gundogan's case, if you suspect a reason for the dislocation or want to stabilise the patellar further you can have surgery, this will get you back down to essentially standard levels of risk for dislocation happening in the future (i.e. he'll have the same risk as any United player has of dislocating theirs) - with surgery though the recovery time will be increased, hence why he's now out for longer than it would usually take to recover from this injury.

So yes, in terms of his knee it's now fixed, not sure when he had the op but from what I've read in recent interviews he's expected back around the time of the first international break (just before the derby).

My point was that I'm not convinced Gundogan will stay fit over a season. What about his back is that fixed too? Anyway the original comment was about how City's signings have been better than ours this summer, which I personally cannot see. There's no guarantee whatsoever that these young promising players will come good. What has this signing had? Half a good season in Brazil? How can anyone say he's a good signing?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
This is the Guardiola effect. Bringing real quality to the side, instead of workhorses and athletic freaks. I'm not saying this kid will be the best in the world but he's way more exciting than Neymar was. But then again, I don't rate Neymar that much. I'm afraid Pepe is already turning to be a great choice for Citieh.
I completely disagree with this but then you do admit to not being a Neymar fan. Neymar was for me the most exciting new footballer I had seen when he was in Brazil since I saw Ronaldo make his debut for Utd. This kid is fantastic but for me he isnt as exciting as Neymar was when he arrived and I have seen this kid play live and thought he was fantastic.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
My point was that I'm not convinced Gundogan will stay fit over a season. What about his back is that fixed too? Anyway the original comment was about how City's signings have been better than ours this summer, which I personally cannot see. There's no guarantee whatsoever that these young promising players will come good. What has this signing had? Half a good season in Brazil? How can anyone say he's a good signing?
Well his last back trouble was 2014 with nothing since, but I haven't read up on it, as far as I'm aware yes it is fixed. But yes lets move back on topic.

I'm sure the vast vast majority of posters have barely seen the guy play, but you look at the reviews he gets from journalists, scouts etc. who do actually watch the league & it's overwhelmingly positive. Personally no idea if this guy will be the next big thing or just drift off the radar, but many seem to suspect he'll prove his worth.

I didn't make the comment about who made better signings but... You could argue similar for United's signings though, you've got a (soon-to-be) 35 year old stop-gap striker, an arguably one season wonder in Mkhitaryan (personally think he's a good signing, but he was pretty poor until last season at Dortmund) and a totally unproven CB who's shipped a bunch of goals in pre-season and who cost £3-4m or whatever last season. It's pretty easy to twist what could be good looking signings into something that sounds far less positive you see.

You could say City have signed one of the best CM's in Europe on the cheap, a consistently proven goal-scoring Spain international winger on the cheap, Ukraines top talent, South America's top 2 talents & Germany's top talent. That probably sounds better than an injured German, an old winger from Celta Vigo & 4 unproven kids.

Reality likely somewhere in the middle for both teams, don't see any particularly poor signings between the two teams.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Chronic injury record being a spinal injury that kept him out for a year that is now fixed
Well, first spinal injuries are never really fixed, surgery is a last option and even then it's never a cure but often just palliative. No one is privy to the actual extent of his nerve issues - all anyone knows is that he had lumbar surgery (Presumably some sort of decompression). Long term pain relief & function is uncertain, that's just the reality of spinal surgery of any kind

It's a shame really because he was really fantastic for awhile, would've liked to have seen him realize his full potential

Noc-Z

ffs
Well his last back trouble was 2014 with nothing since, but I haven't read up on it, as far as I'm aware yes it is fixed. But yes lets move back on topic.

I'm sure the vast vast majority of posters have barely seen the guy play, but you look at the reviews he gets from journalists, scouts etc. who do actually watch the league & it's overwhelmingly positive. Personally no idea if this guy will be the next big thing or just drift off the radar, but many seem to suspect he'll prove his worth.

I didn't make the comment about who made better signings but... You could argue similar for United's signings though, you've got a (soon-to-be) 35 year old stop-gap striker, an arguably one season wonder in Mkhitaryan (personally think he's a good signing, but he was pretty poor until last season at Dortmund) and a totally unproven CB who's shipped a bunch of goals in pre-season and who cost £3-4m or whatever last season. It's pretty easy to twist what could be good looking signings into something that sounds far less positive you see.

You could say City have signed one of the best CM's in Europe on the cheap, a consistently proven goal-scoring Spain international winger on the cheap, Ukraines top talent, South America's top 2 talents & Germany's top talent. That probably sounds better than an injured German, an old winger from Celta Vigo & 4 unproven kids.

Reality likely somewhere in the middle for both teams, don't see any particularly poor signings between the two teams.
With the money in the league right now I wouldn't worry too much about the cash. I don't think City have signed Germany's top talent have they? Wouldn't that be Muller? But I get your point, it's how you spin it.

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
With the money in the league right now I wouldn't worry too much about the cash. I don't think City have signed Germany's top talent have they? Wouldn't that be Muller? But I get your point, it's how you spin it.
Yeah I realised I hadn't put "young" before talent for all those players, but I was too lazy to go back & change it.

Noc-Z

ffs
Yeah I realised I hadn't put "young" before talent for all those players, but I was too lazy to go back & change it.
Fair enough, time will tell how these signings turn out. I'm just a little more convinced by Uniteds signings this window but you never know.

Turnbl

Was always nailed on.

Shit at crosses.

Took that hospital pass like turning water into wine.

Jesus, people are treating this as the second coming.

Will get crucified on a cold Tuesday night at Stoke.

Miracle goal.

Against Bournemouth, loses header against their midfielder "Surmon on the mount"

etc etc...

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Looks a bit lightweight (for a striker) to me, eh? City have so many good attacking players and doesn't he limit their top prospect Iheanacho? But Pep has got so much money and power, most likely no fecks given...

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
This is the Guardiola effect. Bringing real quality to the side, instead of workhorses and athletic freaks. I'm not saying this kid will be the best in the world but he's way more exciting than Neymar was. But then again, I don't rate Neymar that much. I'm afraid Pepe is already turning to be a great choice for Citieh.
I was excited by your comments then, until you said you don't rate Neymar, who I think is class.

It's impossible to expect a youngster to become a Neymar, those are few and far between, if he gets even close he's an absolute bargain.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yep always been my issue with having both, quite clearly both prefer the central role although can feature wider. Wouldn't be surprised given our lack of purchases at centre midfield if maybe Silva/Nasri ended up playing a deeper role, sort of closer to a Xavi/Iniesta position rather than sitting so close to the striker in the hole.
That role still requires a great footballing brain and even Silva is a good playmaker, I'm not sure he can adapt to that role. It still also requires defensive discipline .

Womp

idiot
Better than Neymar. :lol: :lol:

Neymar was an absolute freak and it was obvious due to the fact that he was doing things most players couldn't pull off in Fifa in the same league GBJ is currently playing in. GBJ looks a great talent but to even compare natural ability to Neymar is criminal.

liamp

I actually think they've done better business than us. Seems like the roles have been reversed and now they're going for the profile of player we always used to target to create a dominant team with staying power.
I'd agree with that. They've done a great job amassing young talent for a coach who's historically done a good job with player development.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I think he joined the right team, he'll play closer to the goal and won't have to cover huge distances which is Mourinho's style.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I actually think they've done better business than us. Seems like the roles have been reversed and now they're going for the profile of player we always used to target to create a dominant team with staying power.
Yeah I'm worried about them. They're signing good young talent to freshen the team up and have a good core for the future.

Jaybomb

We've signed a top 5 player in the world in Zlatan Ibrahimovic and arguably the second best young player in the world in Pogba. Along with Mkhitaryan, the best player in the Bundesliga last season (voted).

And some people actually think City's done better business than us?

:lol::lol::lol:

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
No doubt he's a special talent and it's a very good signing for them.
But he must be a starter at Manchester City to reach the level of a Neymar and that will be difficult for him if you see the many other quality attacking players (Neymar hadn't that at Barca).

Womp

idiot
No doubt he's a special talent and it's a very good signing for them.
But he must be a starter at Manchester City to reach the level of a Neymar and that will be difficult for him if you see the many other quality attacking players (Neymar hadn't that at Barca).
Not to add, if we had a dollar everytime there was a new Brazilian sensation, we'd be able to fund Pogba ourselves. Most of them just don't make the step up, or if they do, they fade away very quickly. Neymar is just a freak and to work under Messi has done wonders for him.

He's the most talented player of the upcoming generation IMO.

We've signed a top 5 player in the world in Zlatan Ibrahimovic and arguably the second best young player in the world in Pogba.Along with Mkhitaryan, the best player in the Bundesliga last season (voted).

And some people actually think City's done better business than us?

:lol::lol::lol:
He's not though. Veratti is the best young midfielder in the world, Neymar is better than him among others.

In fact, hes not even the best young talent in our team. Martial and De Gea I'd rate higher (if they keep improving of course)

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Where are you getting your information on this Stability? I would have thought once injured with surrounding structures affected then recurrence rates would be higher. But then if not you still have the added consequence of having surgery.
Plus I think both you have a point it has been surgically fixable injuries and not muscular but for a young man he has spent much of his career on the sidelines and we don't know how this is affecting him going forward. Brilliant player he is there is a big question marks attached to him from a fitness point of view imo. But I think it's worth the gamble but time will tell.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wow, two whole players in three years. Consider me schooled.

(Coman isn't even your player)
Even Kimmich. He played in senior team for other club before bayern signed him.

If the topic is developing young players then pep did good enough job but if it's about promoting from academy then he was poor at it.

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
Even Kimmich. He played in senior team for other club before bayern signed him.

If the topic is developing young players then pep did good enough job but if it's about promoting from academy then he was poor at it.
Why would the topic be about promoting from the academy when it's a thread about city buying a top young talent from Brazil?

roonster09

Scout
Why would the topic be about promoting from the academy when it's a thread about city buying a top young talent from Brazil?
Where did I say anything about what the topic of discussion should be?

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
Where did I say anything about what the topic of discussion should be?
You said if the topic is about promoting from the academy then he's been poor at it... That's not the topic or the discussion you were responding to. The discussion was about young players signing for pep because he's great at developing them.

roonster09

Scout
You said if the topic is about promoting from the academy then he's been poor at it... That's not the topic or the discussion you were responding to. The discussion was about young players signing for pep because he's great at developing them.
I also said if it's about developing young players he did good enough job. I don't read all the shit posts that's why I said "If".

Stop looking for arguments for sake of it.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don´t know if the cases of Kimmich and Coman can even be compared to the situation of Gabriel.

I believe Kimmich was mostly planned as RB and midfielder, but then Bayern could barely find two healthy central defender at the same time so he got a lot of game time there aswell.

Coman competed with Ribery, Robben (both injury prone and 30+), Götze (also injured for quite some time last season) and Costa. Thats four players for two starting spots. That is actually a situation with realistic expectation of consistent game time for him.

We don´t know how Guardiola will field them eventually, but right now they would have 12 attacking players (including Gabriel) for four or at most five roles. Even elite squads (Barca, Real, Bayern, etc.) have only eight or nine players in the same situation and they also don´t have half a dozen U21 talents who actually need game time to develop.