Gabriel Jesus | Arsenal

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
We don´t know how Guardiola will field them eventually, but right now they would have 12 attacking players (including Gabriel) for four or at most five roles. Even elite squads (Barca, Real, Bayern, etc.) have only eight or nine players in the same situation and they also don´t have half a dozen U21 talents who actually need game time to develop.
Yeah, he will ideally look to mix up all the youngsters with some senior ones. Silva, Aguero and even kdB now will be the senior, experienced players and other youngsters will be developed around them. Out of the 12, and I haven't followed their transfer news that much , but is he going to retain Bony, Navas and Nasri? Those 3 maybe going out so there will be be 8-9 forward players for 4 positions with Gabriel not available for half a season.

podurban2

Really hope we can get the next messiah, seeing as we missed out on this one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I love redcafe :lol: the reaction to this thread is hiliarous. They've seen him do one youtube video of step overs and scoring a few goals in a tin pot league and think he's the next Ronaldo/Neymar! brilliant. :D

I remember Ganso and Leandro Damiao being the next being the next Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, flopped hard after that.

The kids obviously got great natural physical abilities, but you need much more than that to do well in Europe. We shall see.

I personally think he will be loaned out around europe for a few years, then move to Malaga or something like that.

Ace of Spades

City have done good business in getting young talents, but they still haven't solved their core problems I think.

Still, good signing for them.

sammyvine

I love redcafe :lol: the reaction to this thread is hiliarous. They've seen him do one youtube video of step overs and scoring a few goals in a tin pot league and think he's the next Ronaldo/Neymar! brilliant. :D

I remember Ganso and Leandro Damiao being the next being the next Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, flopped hard after that.

The kids obviously got great natural physical abilities, but you need much more than that to do well in Europe. We shall see.

I personally think he will be loaned out around europe for a few years, then move to Malaga or something like that.
How do you know he won't be a star?

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Its win win really. Either he becomes a flop and we can all laugh, or he becomes a world class star but forces Sterling out of the team who they wasted £50m on :)

Brightonian

Don't understand your comment.
Well, a big reason they've signed 'with minimum fuss', as you say, is because the more media interest in a transfer, the more tricky it can be to close it at a mutually agreeable price. And, as certain City fans love to complain, United get a lot more media attention. So it's actually doing them a favour.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member

problem is, nobody ever said Damiao would be the next Ronaldo. thats the funniest thing i've ever read

its like if brazilian fans were like "THE ENGLISH SAID LALLANA WAS THE NEXT GIGGS, BUT HE FLOPPED HAHAHAH"

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
Its win win really. Either he becomes a flop and we can all laugh, or he becomes a world class star but forces Sterling out of the team who they wasted £50m on :)
If Jesus becomes a star he'll be playing up front so he'll be squeezing Aguero out, is my understanding of his best position. Anyway Sterling will be a good option to have on the bench if he doesn't turn around his performances.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I watched clips of him when we were linked with him and while he looked a talent alright, he didn't seem to be anywhere near Neymar's level of ability (which few players are).

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Another terrible game from him. Not saying he'll be a flop or anything but I don't understand why so many are claiming he's a sure thing.

hobbers

Going from Brazil to the Prem is sorta like going from touring cars to F1.

fontaine

He wasn't terrible, he hadly got involved because of ball hoggs neymar and gabigol

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
It's amazing that such a great football nation plays so stereotypic and predictable. Neymar is an amazing player but as a captain for Brazil he's to egoistic. Gabriel Jesus was more or less invisible, but at the same time he didn't exactly made himself part of the team. He was static and to often he hided behind the CB.

My Brazilian friends in São Paulo is furious with the result, many of them have played against Jesus and they thought he was much below normal standard. Probabaly nervous and a little bit shy playing next to Neymar.

kidbob

No point judging the kid until we see him play in the League. Could turn out like Neymar could turn out like Anderson.

Re Pep and record with youth I'm a little confused. Obviously he was the Barca B manager so credit for that but I can't understand referring to him as some youth genius. Look at Barca for example.

Valdes- established
Alves- established
Puyol- established
Pique- good call
Abidal- established
Xavi- established
Iniesta- established
Busquets- great call
Messi- established
Pedro- good call
Villa- established

Busquets, Pedro and Pique are down to him. I'd argue though that his strength lay in getting the most out of Pedro who is now a very ordinary player. Busquets is a star and Pique a very good centre half. I don't recall any other young players from Barca making a strong case for a first team place or squad place in his time there. Same with Bayern for that matter. Obviously a decent record but not enough to be considered some unbelievable, special coach for young players.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He will need time to settle. Even Neymar struggled for months. Let's wait and see.

Fenomeno9

He's 19 and coming during the winter. I would be shock if he has any kind of impact in half a season.

fontaine

He's 19 and coming during the winter. I would be shock if he has any kind of impact in half a season.
I'm sure he'll have immense difficulites against Stoke, West Ham and powerhorses of the likes

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Very annoying how the NBC commentator kept pronouncing his name "hey-zeus".

Adam-Utd

problem is, nobody ever said Damiao would be the next Ronaldo. thats the funniest thing i've ever read

its like if brazilian fans were like "THE ENGLISH SAID LALLANA WAS THE NEXT GIGGS, BUT HE FLOPPED HAHAHAH"
Well a lot of people in England were expecting big things from him, so my point stands. Gabriel Jesus has been talked up like he is as good a Neymar here in the press - it's complete rubbish. I don't rate him at all tbh, glad city got him if we truly did want him.

fontaine

Well a lot of people in England were expecting big things from him, so my point stands. Gabriel Jesus has been talked up like he is as good a Neymar here in the press - it's complete rubbish. I don't rate him at all tbh, glad city got him if we truly did want him.
hes a good player

for 27m quid its a win win situation for them.

Fenomeno9

That has nothing to do with Gabriel Jesus but the lack of knowledge the English press has. I'm curious to know just how many Palmeiras games they seen to make that kind of statement.

Adam-Utd

That has nothing to do with Gabriel Jesus but the lack of knowledge the English press has. I'm curious to know just how many Palmeiras games they seen to make that kind of statement.
While I agree most of them have probably watched a youtube compilation to see how "good" he is, scoring 20 league goals a season in Brazil really isn't that impressive. People like Jo (yes remember him?) manage it, Fred even at his old age. Perhaps he will prove me wrong but I just see a young brazilian who's fairly nippy and has quick feet. That looks great but he needs much more rounding to do it consistently in England. Hopefully he doesn't prove me wrong :)

Fenomeno9

While I agree most of them have probably watched a youtube compilation to see how "good" he is, scoring 20 league goals a season in Brazil really isn't that impressive. People like Jo (yes remember him?) manage it, Fred even at his old age. Perhaps he will prove me wrong but I just see a young brazilian who's fairly nippy and has quick feet. That looks great but he needs much more rounding to do it consistently in England. Hopefully he doesn't prove me wrong :)
Gabriel Jesus never scored 20 league goals. In fact, this is his first season of having any real impact which is one of the reason I was hesitant to see him move so soon. He has 10 league goals currently; 19 total in all competitions which is impressive for a 19 year and not all are from just from the brasileiro but also the Copa libertadores which he had some impressive performances in.

I find it hilarious that South American leagues get such a bad rap when some of the top players currently originate from there.

Panther

I obviously can't predict if he will be a success so I wouldn't like to guess if this is a good signing or not. But what I can't get my head around is comments with such certainty as these...

EDIT: I'm not sure if these are serious.
I did say he can be as big as Ronaldo was for us if he fulfils his potential but at the moment he looks like a very good player.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Gabriel Jesus never scored 20 league goals. In fact, this is his first season of having any real impact which is one of the reason I was hesitant to see him move so soon. He has 10 league goals currently; 19 total in all competitions which is impressive for a 19 year and not all are from just from the brasileiro but also the Copa libertadores which he had some impressive performances in.

I find it hilarious that South American leagues get such a bad rap when some of the top players currently originate from there.
Suarez is one of the best players around and originated from the Eredivisie, doesn't make it less of a shit league. Some excellent players started out in French Ligue 1, it's still not a very good league.

I'm not saying the South American leagues aren't good, I really don't have a clue, I'm just saying your reasoning isn't that convincing. Do you disagree that La Liga or the Premier League are of a higher standard than the Brazilian league?

I seem to recall a thread a while back talking about the South American leagues where the consensus seemed to be that the Brazilian league was alright (like a second tier European league), but that some/most South American championships were really piss poor.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Suarez is one of the best players around and originated from the Eredivisie, doesn't make it less of a shit league. Some excellent players started out in French Ligue 1, it's still not a very good league.

I'm not saying the South American leagues aren't good, I really don't have a clue, I'm just saying your reasoning isn't that convincing. Do you disagree that La Liga or the Premier League are of a higher standard than the Brazilian league?

I seem to recall a thread a while back talking about the South American leagues where the consensus seemed to be that the Brazilian league was alright (like a second tier European league), but that some/most South American championships were really piss poor.
Its the defending in them that seems to stand out as being awful. So much space everywhere for players to do what they want.

JoaquinJoaquin

Amazed they got him for so cheap, 10m less then Moura... Think he could be one to regret not signing
If Jesus turns out to be the same level as Moura then I am not worried, Because apart from on this forum most can see that Moura isn't actually that good. He has legendary status on this forum though for some strange reason.

Personally I haven't seen much of Jesus as the only Brazilian games I watch are Corinthians games, But there is certainly some hype about him, probably the most hyped since Neymar IMO.

starman

If Jesus turns out to be the same level as Moura then I am not worried, Because apart from on this forum most can see that Moura isn't actually that good. He has legendary status on this forum though for some strange reason.

Personally I haven't seen much of Jesus as the only Brazilian games I watch are Corinthians games, But there is certainly some hype about him, probably the most hyped since Neymar IMO.
So you knew when Fergie wanted him, he was not good? or are just taking hindsight in play? Anyway he certainly not rubbish, he needs to move away from PSG, that for sure.

Other then Neymar, Moura was the last wonderkid to come out of Brazil, destined for great things, that was 3 years ago and was just under 40m. I am not comparing the players, just the price

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I obviously can't predict if he will be a success so I wouldn't like to guess if this is a good signing or not. But what I can't get my head around is comments with such certainty as these...

EDIT: I'm not sure if these are serious.
FFS surely I'm not the first one to make a Jesus\nailed joke here :confused:

Stability

Supports
Manchester City
Where are you getting your information on this Stability? I would have thought once injured with surrounding structures affected then recurrence rates would be higher. But then if not you still have the added consequence of having surgery.
Plus I think both you have a point it has been surgically fixable injuries and not muscular but for a young man he has spent much of his career on the sidelines and we don't know how this is affecting him going forward. Brilliant player he is there is a big question marks attached to him from a fitness point of view imo. But I think it's worth the gamble but time will tell.
Just my own knowledge on the topic. Haven't read up on Gundogan's injury specifically though. You're correct though, once a patella has dislocated the re-occurrence rate is indeed higher, however if you go the surgery route & the surgery you have goes well then usually you'd stabilise the weakness & end up with a normal level chance of dislocation again (i.e. no different than the normal population who've never dislocated). I mentioned in my original post about the added consequence of having surgery, the recovery time is increased due to the surgery, hence why he'll be missing the start of the season; pro's & con's I guess, makes sense to miss 3-4 matches and have a stable knee than risk dislocating again & missing another few months.

I can only assume in an athletes case with the sums of money involved in football that the decision was taken to undertake the surgery route rather than the physio route & stabilise the joint.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Worked his ass off at 10,000 ft above sea level and was rewarded with two goals and an assist in Brazil's WC qualifier vs Ecuador. Can't find/be bothered to find where he chased the ball down to win the penalty that Neymar converted.

Edit: Was his debut for Brazil.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Yeah, he played really well - he's young so he is far from the finished product but I prefer his game to that of Gabigol. A lot of potential, we'll see what Pep can do with it