Gabriel Jesus | Arsenal

Fenomeno9

I thought it was premature of Tite to hand him a start but I'm glad I was wrong. MOTM against Ecuador.

PitchFork

Supports
Sao Paulo FC
I find it hilarious that South American leagues get such a bad rap when some of the top players currently originate from there.
This. Cant understand the arrogance in saying things like Jesus comes from a "tin pot league" or a "3rd rate league." Its a league that has consistently produced some of the worlds greatest players for almost a century. From a country and that lives and breathes football, from neighbourhoods where football is the only hope. Do people ever watch south American football? Sorry but the likes of Malaga, Sociedad, Torino, Udinese, Wolfsburg, Metz, Marseilles, Spurs, Everton, West Ham etcetera would all struggle in the Brazilian league.

TheGK

This. Cant understand the arrogance in saying things like Jesus comes from a "tin pot league" or a "3rd rate league." Its a league that has consistently produced some of the worlds greatest players for almost a century. From a country and that lives and breathes football, from neighbourhoods where football is the only hope. Do people ever watch south American football? Sorry but the likes of Malaga, Sociedad, Torino, Udinese, Wolfsburg, Metz, Marseilles, Spurs, Everton, West Ham etcetera would all struggle in the Brazilian league.
So true, football is played at a ferocious pace out there, especially the argentine and Brazillian leagues, and as you say the European leagues are full of players that come from these leagues.
Another thing we always hear here is whether these players will handle the physicality of the English league. Which is complete ignorance as, any of the games I've seen out there, mainly the Argentine and Copa Liberterdores, have been extremely physical. Loads more heavy challenges than we see in the Prem any more.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Yeah, don't like the berties having their dirty mittens on this one. Might become truly class.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
We have better prospects in Martial and Rashford so no point adding another youngster to supplement that.

Classical Mechanic

City have started to emulate Chelsea with the Football Manager type signings. Even if this lad doesn't make it at City I'm sure they can sell him on at a profit considering the current market.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, don't like the berties having their dirty mittens on this one. Might become truly class.
Hopefully not. I already see Sane as someone who will become a top class player. As may well Sterling. So if Jesus and Stones do so as well, City have a cracking side in the works.

SwansonsTache

Hopefully not. I already see Sane as someone who will become a top class player. As may well Sterling. So if Jesus and Stones do so as well, City have a cracking side in the works.
Funnily I see us going for more of the finished articles in the future, with City going for quite a bit of FM-legend youngsters. Kind of the opposite of how things has been.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised by us going for another ready made one in Griezmann next year.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
More firepower for City in January. Why I backed gem to win the league. They will score many more goals than anyone else.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Don't know much about him but Is he as good as Neymar was when he played in Brazil league.

cyberman

More firepower for City in January. Why I backed gem to win the league. They will score many more goals than anyone else.
How? Doesn't he play in Sterlings position? Nolito?
If he played in a weaker position for them I would say fair enough. It's kind of like us signing a player for Martials position and claiming he's the difference maker.

Revan

Assumptionman
City really have incredible talent in attack with Jesus, Sane, Sterling and Iheanacho. If things go well on their development, that team will be hard to get beaten.

And that is without considering that both Aguero and De Bruyne hav many years ahead of them.

Revan

Assumptionman
Don't know much about him but Is he as good as Neymar was when he played in Brazil league.
Nope, but he is 2 years younger than when Neymar left that league for Barca. He is the most hyped player coming from that league since Neymar though.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
How? Doesn't he play in Sterlings position? Nolito?
If he played in a weaker position for them I would say fair enough. It's kind of like us signing a player for Martials position and claiming he's the difference maker.
Played as a striker for the past year or so. Started up front last night. Can play on either wing, though.

AR87

Played as a striker for the past year or so. Started up front last night. Can play on either wing, though.
Regardless of where Pep wants to use him there will be strong competition for him to break through in order to get into the starting XI. They have a lot of firepower. If they can be competent defensively they're title favorites this season.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Not to get carried away of course, but the signs look good for him early on. He certainly seems to know where the net is - and it doesn't matter who you are playing against the 2nd goal is great technique on the turn. So little momentum to generate that kind of power.

The shift in our buying strategy is very clear. We obviously feel we have the squad to compete now, but with an eye on tomorrow, which is a new step for us. Stones (22), Sterling (21), Sane (20), Iheanacho (19), Jesus (19), De Bruyne (25), Gundogan (25) could all be fantastic in two years. Plus an academy performing at just about every age group. You'd expect us to be targeting some fullbacks next season and a CDM to replace Fernandinho. That could be quite a team. Exciting.

izec

Well people were saying their spine is old last season and that they would need half the first team replaced, which they are doing currently. If you have the money and a certain vision, nothing can stop you from getting that. It is not like 10 years ago, where you would need a few years to change your team, nowadays you can do that in 1-2 transfer windows as a rich club.

NK86

Funnily I see us going for more of the finished articles in the future, with City going for quite a bit of FM-legend youngsters. Kind of the opposite of how things has been.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised by us going for another ready made one in Griezmann next year.
We are also investing heavily in young potential stars. The likes of Shaw, Bailly, Martial, Depay clearly show that. At least two out of those four have shown that they can reach a very high level. Our strategy to buy some established players is just common sense. In fact, even Pogba can be counted as someone with huge potential and not the finished article.

City have only just started paying attention to the future as they have a decent team already. We need to juggle between ensuring we can set the current team straight and also build for the future. I feel we are doing a very good job of it so far.

djdhrubs

Does he look much better than Depay did before he left Holland?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

City have the oldest squad in the league as per tranfsermarkt.

We have also signed plenty of youngsters but at the same time we are signing for first team also like City did with Nolito, Bravo.

In last 3 years we signed Pogba (23), Bailly (22), Martial (19), Memphis (21), Shaw (18), we also signed players at good age like Schneiderlin (25), Darmian (25), Blind (24), Herrera (24).

When it comes to squad De Gea is just 25 and then we have players like Rashford, Fosu Mensah who are teenagers and showed they are capable of playing in PL.

City have signed lot of youngsters and sent them on loan, we made limited signings but young enough players. We have very good young squad and average age will go down a lot when Carrick, Zlatan leaves in year or 2.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Does he look much better than Depay did before he left Holland?
This is a decent point

If you go watch YouTube videos of Memphis in his last season at PSV then he looked amazing at everything, he was rapid, he could shoot, he was skilful and could score all manner of freekicks. The player we've got is a complete dud in the premier league.

Same could happen with Jesus.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is a decent point

If you go watch YouTube videos of Memphis in his last season at PSV then he looked amazing at everything, he was rapid, he could shoot, he was skilful and could score all manner of freekicks. The player we've got is a complete dud in the premier league.

I am still baffled by this. I just can't see how Memphis regressed so much. He was genuinely fast in Holland, it's not like all their defenders can't run. Suddenly he's got to England and lost a bit of pace. His shooting technique was always pretty good, now it looks like he can rarely hit the target. Very strange.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
This is a decent point

I second this. One has to be careful about those youtube videos. They dont show the full picture.

For example if you are winning by four goals, everything becomes easy. The time to look at a player is when the pressure is on. They are drawing or losing a game that they need to win. That's when you see the true character of a player. A lot of these tricks and skills shown on youtube videos comes when that team (who contains the player in question) are winning by a good margin. I was talking to a friend who works in PR and he was saying that he was over in England once and got chatting to a scout and the scout in question made the point that if he was in the stands watching a player, if the team that player was on went three or four goal up, the scout would leave the match in question. His point being that he the scout had seen enough and that anything done post those three or four goals was irrelevant.

Secondly you have to factor in when you see a player score a good goal, is that goal due to a counter-attack or was it scored when the defending team have nine players behind the ball. This is one of the deceptions i see with you-tube videos of the next great star or striker, in that a lot of the goals on the videos come from counter-attacks and as we know the reality is if that player gets signed by a top team, then the teams playing against that top team will defend with lots of bodies behind the ball making it much harder to score these sensational youtube goals.

Reactions: Kag

WhoDaGOAT

I am still baffled by this. I just can't see how Memphis regressed so much. He was genuinely fast in Holland, it's not like all their defenders can't run. Suddenly he's got to England and lost a bit of pace. His shooting technique was always pretty good, now it looks like he can rarely hit the target. Very strange.
The average Premier League full-back is a lot stronger and faster than what he was used to in Holland. Hence why he's excelled in European games for us. Also, the standard of goalkeeping is inferior. Lots of his long range free kicks would be saved in the more high profile European leagues. Then there's his obsession with weights. He's put on too much muscle. Add a lack of confidence into the mix and you have your answer.

Adam-Utd

The average Premier League full-back is a lot stronger and faster than what he was used to in Holland. Hence why he's excelled in European games for us. Also, the standard of goalkeeping is inferior. Lots of his long range free kicks would be saved in the more high profile European leagues. Then there's his obsession with weights. He's put on too much muscle. Add a lack of confidence into the mix and you have your answer.
I think it's more that than anything, he's definitely more built now than he was in Holland. All that extra mass has slowed him down and is way more detrimental.

Fenomeno9

Who has come through since Neymar that is worth a dime then?
I'm talking about the worst era bit. People really need to know their history about Brazilian futbol. You would think we created Zico and Ronaldo type talent every year and Neymar only left 3 years ago.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
It's a confidence game, and Sterling is the perfect example. Couldn't even beat a man last year. Be interesting to see if Mourinho can turn him around.

Danillaco

I'm talking about the worst era bit. People really need to know their history about Brazilian futbol. You would think we created Zico and Ronaldo type talent every year and Neymar only left 3 years ago.
It's not far, imo. I don't remember having to watch so many awful games, it's almost tiresome. Few teams are playing great football, and a lot of talent are not from Brazil.

As I said in another thread, Jesus is a very good player, but I can't see why all the hype around him.

Maybe i'll bite my tongue, but for now...

SwansonsTache

I think it's more that than anything, he's definitely more built now than he was in Holland. All that extra mass has slowed him down and is way more detrimental.
I find this strange though. I would wager that it is Uniteds physical coaches that decide how much you hit the weights or not, it is not like the players can decide for themselves that they want to sport the bulky look.

One should think this problem would have been identified and adressed by our coaching staff some time ago.

Adam-Utd

I find this strange though. I would wager that it is Uniteds physical coaches that decide how much you hit the weights or not, it is not like the players can decide for themselves that they want to sport the bulky look.

One should think this problem would have been identified and adressed by our coaching staff some time ago.
Who knows, I suppose they can only advise him, but if Memphis wants to build himself into a brick shitehouse then there's no way they can stop him :lol: