Gabriel (Lille player) / signed for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungledrums

The original debate was me saying that if there is a club who was desperate for creative player like Grealish's quality (which Willian is) is Arsenal but you denied it as you believed they aren't desperate for one. I think the Willian's signing pretty much confirmed it. :p
What a flimsy argument.

Morpheus 7

It's so obvious we aren't in for him, drum up interest before the inevitable. Becoming tiring now, clearly not in for him at this stage. Them absolute balloons on AFTV will be on about him turning us down to drum up views.

RashyForPM

If the reports are true (strangely enough, I believe the media this time. Telegraph are decent), then I can’t help but think Ole has finally lost faith in Lindelof and Bailly.

iKnowNothing

Why are some of you guys worried about what AFTV do? I think it’s better to ignore them and not give them anymore views. They’re just trying to milk money from the gullible.

JTW95

Gullible sausage

SSSSnake

Not really expecting much from this. However it would be funny to steal him from Arsenal. If he had any ambition he would surely want Champions league?

El-Manos

Can everyone stop labelling every fecking thing in the transfer market ‘amateur’ or ‘disorganised’ from the club? Like, for one day! As if we have the foggiest about how this shit really works.
Look at the Fellaini & Maguire deal and tell me that is good business ?

BlahRules

Skysports at it’s best,
Any way to get the name of Manchester United in a story.
Why would we hold talks with his reps if we are unlikely to take it any further??
https://www.skysports.com/football/...ave-late-talks-over-arsenal-and-napoli-target
We have talks with players during the transfer period. Couple of years ago we had conversation with Sokratis telling him we are interested but will have to wait for us to make a bid. I am sure we have spoken to Gabriel but he is not our number 1 LCB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Look at the Fellaini & Maguire deal and tell me that is good business ?
That is subjective, and whether you think they are good players or not has nothing to do with us being amateur and disorganised.

El-Manos

That is subjective, and whether you think they are good players or not has nothing to do with us being amateur and disorganised.
I wasn’t referring to their ability as a player. In fact, I rate both players. Maguire was available for 60m pounds in 2018 and we deemed it too expensive, we paid 80m the year after. Fellaini had a 20m release clause until August. We got him on deadline day for more than his release clause. And yes, that is bad business. That is the very definition of disorganisation, we had no plan or alternatives. It’s okay to criticise the club in certain aspects you know? We’re not a perfectly run football club.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wasn’t referring to their ability as a player. In fact, I rate both players. Maguire was available for 60m pounds in 2018 and we deemed it too expensive, we paid 80m the year after. Fellaini had a 20m release clause until August. We got him on deadline day for more than his release clause. And yes, that is bad business. That is the very definition of disorganisation, we had no plan or alternatives. It’s okay to criticise the club in certain aspects you know? We’re not a perfectly run football club.
My point is neither of us have anything near the vantage point we like to think we do to be dismissing business as incompetent. The circumstances, sequence of events are all unknown to us, and can’t be gleaned from sensationalist opinion pieces from journos.

I am sure that the businessmen who run our club are far more competent than they are given credit for by every random Joe Bloggs on the net.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I saw but did he say we are interested?
Only thing I’ve seen him say is we contacted his agents ages ago but made no bid - not sure if there’s an update on that

-Supreme-

Only thing I’ve seen him say is we contacted his agents ages ago but made no bid - not sure if there’s an update on that
Good to know, thanks. It appears this is in line to what others are saying.

Michael T

I don't know anything about the guy really, but read somewhere that he's a young Brazilan international central defender with great ball distribution available for under 30 million. If that could mean Pogba not giving the ball away when he drops deep to collect the ball - as often seems to happen, then what's not to like as far as taking an interest goes. If what If I've read is true then it seems sensible. Can anyone give a brief synopsis of the player, or put me right regarding the info I've heard? Thanks.

reddevilz007

Get rid of Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Rojo

get Gabriel (or Torres) and Thiago Silva for his experience. Thiago’s presence will give good competition for the others

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't know anything about the guy really, but read somewhere that he's a young Brazilan international central defender with great ball distribution available for under 30 million. If that could mean Pogba not giving the ball away when he drops deep to collect the ball - as often seems to happen, then what's not to like as far as taking an interest goes. If what If I've read is true then it seems sensible. Can anyone give a brief synopsis of the player, or put me right regarding the info I've heard? Thanks.
First of all, he hasn't receive his first international cap yet. This season actually his proper season (though ligue 1 was canceled after pandemic).

From what I watched him against Lyon & Chelsea, he's a centre back who is very good dealing with crosses (whether it's low or high crosses). He can do both being passive and active centre back. His ball playing isn't that good from what I watched because when under pressure he doesn't really keep possession too often, people said his ball distribution is great well that's only because he wasn't under pressure and if you watch Rojo, his ball distribution isn't bad either when not under pressure. He's the best one among Lille's defenders right now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You’ve basically got the low down already. He’s someone we would rather trying to advance the ball than Pogba, due to his superior quality.

MetoTTT

If we want a left footed CB then certainly. He's better than a lot of the other options. Especially for when we play 3 at the back he would be very useful
To play 3 at the back we need two very good FB going forward, not the case here and we'll get destroyed in miedfield.

JJ12

To play 3 at the back we need two very good FB going forward, not the case here and we'll get destroyed in miedfield.
We played it a few times last season - very well too

tomaldinho1

If that is true that we want this guy, why wait so long??it just comes across as amateur and disorganised.
I'm actually keen for this to become Woodward's modus operandi.

If United go in first with Woodward, it's a car crash and we end up always just paying the originally quoted price. If we let other clubs go in and get to a fee agreement, we can then swoop in and blow them out the water salary wise. I have zero idea if he's good but he's one of those players we'd be shelling out £40m for if we were the ones negotiating.

Classical Mechanic

I'm actually keen for this to become Woodward's modus operandi.

If United go in first with Woodward, it's a car crash and we end up always just paying the originally quoted price. If we let other clubs go in and get to a fee agreement, we can then swoop in and blow them out the water salary wise. I have zero idea if he's good but he's one of those players we'd be shelling out £40m for if we were the ones negotiating.
We probably wanted Torres but he’ll cost a lot more. To land Sancho we‘re going to have to look at cheaper targets in other areas.

Pav1878

In fairness, probably one of our worst performances this season was playing three at the back in the fa cup semi final.

JJ12

In fairness, probably one of our worst performances this season was playing three at the back in the fa cup semi final.
That was horrendous - I’d say that was more to do our form/fatigue and the way Chelsea played that day though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Defended well, yes. But whenever there was a need to dominate the ball, we struggled because our full backs options were just bad.

Pav1878

That was horrendous - I’d say that was more to do our form/fatigue and the way Chelsea played that day though.
Yeah, and DDG didn't help that day. Do like three at the back of it's done well with the right personnel.

Definitely need some better attacking full backs though. I miss Evra!

JJ12

Defended well, yes. But whenever there was a need to dominate the ball, we struggled because our full backs options were just bad.
I think it’s just an option vs the top teams any way. Wouldn’t want 5 at the back vs lesser teams.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
I think he looks the business. I hope we (The Arsenal) get him. If you get him, I think he'll be an upgrade over Lindellof/Bailey and he'd cover for Maguire's lack of pace, which this lad has in spades. The other United option would be giving Smalling Maguire a go, which I personally feel he compliments Maguire better.

eire-red

Reminds me of the Yerry Mina saga. Thank god that turned out to be a load of nonsense, and hoping for the same here. Not the type of transfer we should be looking for.

Wait until next summer and go all out for Upamecano, and put the extra money towards Sancho instead this summer. We need quality over quantity.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think he looks the business. I hope we (The Arsenal) get him. If you get him, I think he'll be an upgrade over Lindellof/Bailey and he'd cover for Maguire's lack of pace, which this lad has in spades. The other United option would be giving Smalling Maguire a go, which I personally feel he compliments Maguire better.
Smalling Maguire should have been our CB pairing all season. He's better at most things than Lindelof. Passing probably only area where he's weaker.

However I dont think I could have stomached watching us play out from the back with Smalling AND AWB in same team so maybe it's best he did go on loan after all.

If we had bought a top right back who could play then Smalling would be better staying. We didn't though sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.