Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
People should watch the scene from season 3 where Melisandre meets Arya when she's with Thoros of Myr and the Brotherhood. There's a scene where Thoros is telling Melisandre about the first time he resurrected Beric Dondarrion and I'm pretty sure there's similarities with Melisandre and Jon Snow. Thoros had lost all faith in the Lord of Light and then prayed to him when Beric Dondarrion got killed for the first time and he was brought back from the dead.

Melisandre seems to have lost all faith at this point and there's a dead Jon Snow to bring back to life. Seems like the Lord of Light only responded to Thoros when his faith was all but gone. A similar set of circumstances would probably see a Jon Snow resurrection. Make it happen Melisandre (and put the necklace back on)!

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Episode 3's running time is 59 mins so I'm expecting something big to happen then. Maybe Jon's resurrection?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Episode 3's running time is 59 mins so I'm expecting something big to happen then. Maybe Jon's resurrection?
Bronn finally gets the bad pussy.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
People should watch the scene from season 3 where Melisandre meets Arya when she's with Thoros of Myr and the Brotherhood. There's a scene where Thoros is telling Melisandre about the first time he resurrected Beric Dondarrion and I'm pretty sure there's similarities with Melisandre and Jon Snow. Thoros had lost all faith in the Lord of Light and then prayed to him when Beric Dondarrion got killed for the first time and he was brought back from the dead.

Melisandre seems to have lost all faith at this point and there's a dead Jon Snow to bring back to life. Seems like the Lord of Light only responded to Thoros when his faith was all but gone. A similar set of circumstances would probably see a Jon Snow resurrection. Make it happen Melisandre (and put the necklace back on)!
Another interesting thing to come from that was Beric saying that every time he's brought back, he's a bit less. Pieces of him get chipped away.

So if Jon does get resurrected, he might not be the same Jon Snow.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
With reference to Arya meeting Melisandre, there's also this scene in season 3

Yeah that's the part I was referring to. Just prior to that is the scene with Beric Dondarrion and Thoros of Myr speaking to Melisandre.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'm anticipating an early climax before the usual Ep.8 or 9 blockbuster, like what they did with the purple wedding. Maybe Jon stuff and the Sparrows vs Lannister stuff reaching a crescendo in the same episode.

Last edited:

Norris

I think the problem is that the writing from S1-4 was very intelligent and carefully crafted as they knew exactly where the plot was going and had thousands of pages of source material to pour over. It's probably going to get a little more sloppy now a bit like the whole Dorne storyline so far has imo been by far the weakest section of the show. But it's hard to go totally wrong given how well the characters have been developed to this point. I would say its a very different writing skill to go from reading and converting text for tv compatibility to completely inventing scenes and characters from scratch.

Also if you think about how much the budgets have gone up since S1, it's becoming more film quality by each passing season which allows the writers to come up with action sequences like Hardhome. So we'll probably lose the quality of writing but gain more impressive visual treats in the process. I'm looking forward to this Season though, the North storyline which is epic will keep the show going even if Dorne and Daenerys becomes boring.
I agree with the writers now struggling to keep up with the quality that was evident in the first four seasons, but it wasn't just Dorne that was a let down. Even the joke they inserted in the Dothraki scene was cringeworthy. It seemed like they were trying to stamp their own authority. Like you said, since all the characters are very well defined, there won't be a problem in how those major arcs develop, but it's how they get there which might unsettle a few like myself.

Yeah, North and Bran's storyline's should be good regardless of what happens. Hopefully, it will be good enough to paper over the other widening cracks.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I get the same feeling that they're getting wider and off the track, and like ussual I fear that they're just going to quickly wrap everything down faster than a demolished building.

They barely have enough time to screen everyone these days
I don't think it will wrap up too quickly. I just think they need to be clever about which story's to emphasize more on. Even Cerci who has become a bit of a tiresome character now, is being pushed into this weird religious angle which I've not really heard anyone praise. It seems to just be a "meh" arc to beat her down and show her thirst for vengence. Neither are the people she is taking on interesting, and nor is her being vengeful something new. I'm hoping they wrap this up fairly quickly because it appears to be obvious from a mile away where this is headed.

I think it will happen. If only because his body is still lying around, Melisandra is obviously disillusioned and appearing to be on the brink of using her powers, and simply because the show IMO needs that character back. And I'm not even a big fan of John Snow. I was actually surprised at the hue and cry over his death. But looking at the show in its entirety, him keeping the interest in the North is vital.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I agree with the writers now struggling to keep up with the quality that was evident in the first four seasons, but it wasn't just Dorne that was a let down. Even the joke they inserted in the Dothraki scene was cringeworthy. It seemed like they were trying to stamp their own authority. Like you said, since all the characters are very well defined, there won't be a problem in how those major arcs develop, but it's how they get there which might unsettle a few like myself.

Yeah, North and Bran's storyline's should be good regardless of what happens. Hopefully, it will be good enough to paper over the other widening cracks.
The Dothraki joke was a Monty Python "easter egg" so to speak. They also did it season four when Daario fights the Champion of Meereen. Maybe it wasn't appropriate for a setting such a GoT but it didn't bother me.

Plus, there was original material in the first four seasons. Season two for example has some of my favourite stuff from the whole series. Arya as Tywin's cup bearer in Harrenhal in season two, that wasn't in the books, completely written by D&D/Bryan Cogman et al.

Norris

The Dothraki joke was a Monty Python "easter egg" so to speak. They also did it season four when Daario fights the Champion of Meereen. Maybe it wasn't appropriate for a setting such a GoT but it didn't bother me.

Plus, there was original material in the first four seasons. Season two for example has some of my favourite stuff from the whole series. Arya as Tywin's cup bearer in Harrenhal in season two, that wasn't in the books, completely written by D&D/Bryan Cogman et al.
I hadn't realized they had done it earlier. It would make sense why they did it again then. I am not much of a fan of it though. I only comedy I want to see is from Tyrion.

Haven't read the books, so will have to take your word for it. But if it's true, then great. I would be wrong in my assumption which would be great for the show.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
GoT Facebook-page just posted something about "Behind the scene" of that amazing, award-deserving scene on the boat with the sandsnakes and got absolutely shredded in the comment section.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The scene on the boat wasn't *that* bad. I was just bemused by the fact that they were on the boat at all given they were waving it goodbye when it set sail.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
The scene on the boat wasn't *that* bad. I was just bemused by the fact that they were on the boat at all given they were waving it goodbye when it set sail.
I dunno, the bit about 'bitch, he was my kill' was such a soap opera/sitcom kind of shit and felt totally out of place. Seems like they are trying too hard to make people like the Sandsnakes with all the tits and 'comedy' but I just cant stand them. Maybe if they did all the scenes nude, I might be able to filter out the 'acting' they are supposed to be doing.

I mean, bad pussy... Come on.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Anyone else staying up for this tonight. I've got a feeling this could be the Jon Snow come back.

Norris

Go on, Snow! Do us a favour and set Ghost on van Gaal. Surely the extra time was for that ??

Kaos

I hope they don't spend too much time with the Bran or Arya storylines, don't really care for them. Danaery's too for that matter.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I hope they don't spend too much time with the Bran or Arya storylines, don't really care for them. Danaery's too for that matter.
Bran's could be really good this season, if it's what I'm expecting. Arya's storyline is a mystery even for us, book readers. Can't really get excited for it though.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Bran's is surely going to be more interesting from this point forward based on the last time we saw him.

I wish Blondie would finally head west, but it looks like that'll be stretched out...again.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Bran's is surely going to be more interesting from this point forward based on the last time we saw him.

I wish Blondie would finally head west, but it looks like that'll be stretched out...again.
I think that was as good as confirmed in ep1.

Unless Tyrion was wumming us!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

This makes so much sense, I never noticed the parallels before. This seems very plausible and more a case of "when" and not "if".

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

I doubt he's going to suddenly turn into Gandalf, probably being able to walk and knows something something and that ghost stuff, but don't expect him to wield a staff and a sword and start kicking white walkers arse

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
This makes so much sense, I never noticed the parallels before. This seems very plausible and more a case of "when" and not "if".
It just all seems all too convenient for her to be there. This being GoT there's got to be a twist, like Mel having to sacrifice herself or the Wildlings don't make it back in time before they burn his corpse and then he comes walking out of the flames...

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Going to stay up and watch this with tomorrow being a bank holiday.

Hopefully we see Bran's return tonight. I want to know what he's been up to whilst everything else has been going on.

Cina

Going to stay up and watch this with tomorrow being a bank holiday.

Hopefully we see Bran's return tonight. I want to know what he's been up to whilst everything else has been going on.
Going by how he looks in the trailer, a lot of jerking off I reckon.