Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Dr. Onion Knight is once again the best bloke in this show... his introduction of Jon was hilarious.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I actually think the biting of gold coins is mostly bollocks.

Yes gold is soft and biting it can leave marks... but so is lead. Most gold coins would be alloyed with something anyway.

Biting a coin to determine whether it is genuine or counterfeit is a widespread cliché depicted in many movies (see The Immigrant (1917 film)). While fine gold is softer than alloyed gold, and galvanized lead is softer, biting coins can only detect the crudest of forgeries and its widespread use is almost certainly a myth.[22]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_coin

onemanarmy

Oh ffs.

Do you even have the slightest idea how it works? Are you telling me generation upon generation the Lannisters have been borrowing money and pay the debt with mined gold?

Go read something about medieval currency manipulation, minted coinage etc before making a reply. Do you even know why Olympians bite their gold medals as late as the 1910s?
I first have to complete the book about how to create a good ale, forge weapons from obsidian and maintaining fecking big walls. Medieval currency manipulation is next in line!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Oh ffs.

Do you even have the slightest idea how it works? Are you telling me generation upon generation the Lannisters have been borrowing money and pay the debt with mined gold?

Go read something about medieval currency manipulation, minted coinage etc before making a reply. Do you even know why Olympians bite their gold medals as late as the 1910s?
:lol:

I've often thought you're on the wind-up in other threads, mate, but this takes the cake.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The amount of invisible armies in this episode is staggering. Invisible fleet is making its second appearance in only three episodes. Seems only the good guys' army is visible. Also they attack in broad daylight and all. Why does everything have to be stupid?
This seems to be the crux of everyone's ridiculous complaints. Their favourite characters/'the good guys' (if there's such a thing in GoT) aren't getting what they want. Boo-hoo.

I kinda hope the Lannisters win in all honesty, just because they so obviously won't and aren't meant to.
This is exactly where I stand, too. I'm even thinking about tuning out for the remaining episodes as the inevitable Snow/Danaerys victory is so transparent, it's untrue. Sick to fecking death at this stage of the invincibility of both Snow and Danaerys. Every single time they find themselves in perilous danger, they come out smelling of roses.

rcoobc

This is exactly where I stand, too. I'm even thinking about tuning out for the remaining episodes as the inevitable Snow/Danaerys victory is so transparent, it's untrue. Sick to fecking death at this stage of the invincibility of both Snow and Danaerys. Every single time they find themselves in perilous danger, they come out smelling of roses.
I think you will be entirely wrong by this. Probably.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
God you don't half find some bollocks in here. I thought the Cersei revenge scene was spectacular. My question now is what happens to the army of dorne.

rcoobc

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

What was Daenerys thinking sending the unsullied in that early?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I find it difficult to believe that any normal human being could watch over 60 hours of a television show and then give it up for the last few hours.

Sylar

Ok, some people are just taking the piss now. Clearly. I feel infiniteboredom was nominated by the book thread to come here and wind people up as the show has moved ahead of the books.

So you want unpredictability for the sake of unpredictability. Bizarre.

rcoobc

In fact, I'll tell you what my problem with the show is.

It's not that they didn't spend 10 episodes getting Jon Snow from the Wall to Dragonmount... fine, you're limited on time and need to do things quickly. No problem.

The problem is they didn't give it any weight. They can definitely get Jon from the Wall to Dragonmount in half an episode, that's no problem. Give us clips throughout an episode or half an episode of him moving onto the ship, the ships coming onto the open sea, maybe a ship sailing with him get's lost in a storm, maybe someone he is with is thrown overboard and he never sees him again. All that could take 5 minutes of screen time and would add so much weight.

It's the same problem with Euon Greyjoys armada, and the Lannister army, and the unsullied army.

Give us clips of the Unsullied army marching to Lannister castle, and give us clips of the Lannister army preparing for war. We'd be thinking there is going to be this huge battle between the Unsullied and the Lannister army, oh god it's going to be so epic, look at all the Unsullied and look at all the Lannisters, it's going to be amazing!!!... Oh no wait, bait and switch. feck. feck feck feck.

Instead we got the switch without the bait. Rather less epic.

kotha

Wow Cercei again.. She has learnt a lot from Tywin.. I think Tyrion not being considered a worthy lanister made him miss all the military planning classes. Jamie's expression when Olena tells him that she she killed Joeffry..

I hope no one misplaces Jon's sword!!

Amazing episode overall..

What was the dragon that flew over Jon on the stairs? Is it the black one that dany rides or anther? With him being a Targ and Tyrion saying that they might get used to the dragons,I think Jon is going to ride that one..

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Wow Cercei again.. She has learnt a lot from Tywin.. I think Tyrion not being considered a worthy lanister made him miss all the military planning classes. Jamie's expression when Olena tells him that she she killed Joeffry..

I hope no one misplaces Jon's sword!!

Amazing episode overall..

What was the dragon that flew over Jon on the stairs? Is it the black one that dany rides or anther? With him being a Targ and Tyrion saying that they might get used to the dragons,I think Jon is going to ride that one..
Wasn't Drogo, it was one of the other 2. Probably the one named after his real dad.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
After Cersei delivered the poisonous kiss to the Sand Snake, it took about 2 seconds for her to make the way up to her chamber! Her room in the castle must be several flights upstairs. Why didn't the writers show her walking up all the steps for the next 5 minutes? The time travelling this season is ridiculous. Takes me right out of the moment when an action leads directly to its consequence. I want to see as much pointless walking as possible.
Well they have to cram in 10 eps of story into about 7 so this was bound to happen.

Sylar

The problem is they didn't give it any weight. They can definitely get Jon from the Wall to Dragonmount in half an episode, that's no problem. Give us clips throughout an episode or half an episode of him moving onto the ship, the ships coming onto the open sea, maybe a ship sailing with him get's lost in a storm, maybe someone he is with is thrown overboard and he never sees him again. All that could take 5 minutes of screen time and would add so much weight.
:lol: Youre on the windup. Good job tbh.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought it was a great episode - favourite of the season so far by a mile.

Tyrion has so far been a rubbish hand, i thought he was meant to be the smartest Lannister!

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I thought it was a great episode - favourite of the season so far by a mile.

Tyrion has so far been a rubbish hand, i thought he was meant to be the smartest Lannister!
People in the show can only be as smart as the ones writing it.

kotha

Wasn't Drogo, it was one of the other 2. Probably the one named after his real dad.
If it's the other one,then I guess Jon is going to ride that dragon..

Imagine Bran trying to convince Sansa that Jon is a Targ and Jon rocks up to winterfell in a dragon..

Zlatattack

cheap bastards should have made it two seasons both 14 episodes long and that way we could have seen the prep to battles, the actual battles, the suspense about who was going to win/lose. Towards the end this episode felt like checking the football scores on the teletext.

rcoobc

:lol: Youre on the windup. Good job tbh.
I'm really not.

Let me just say, I am still really enjoying the show. But it doesn't feel like proper Game of Thrones to me.

All the characters have discovered fast travel. I have no problem whatsoever that time isn't linear i.e. parts of the show are slightly ahead of others, and that allows characters to catch up with each other as required. But that was always done to give everything weight. But I never felt like they were skipping huge chunks of what would be going on.

Okay, I'm about to post a Game of Thrones Map. Please no one ban me... I have no idea if there is any book content here, and I don't think there is any "official" GOT map anyway, just people's interpretation.

Winterfell, Castlely rock, and Dragonstone are huge distances away. Like the whole map apart.

It took Stannis most of a series to be able to attack the Lannisters, then another series to do it again.

I'm not complaining about time, just weighting. Stuff must have happened.

rcoobc

cheap bastards should have made it two seasons both 14 episodes long and that way we could have seen the prep to battles, the actual battles, the suspense about who was going to win/lose. Towards the end this episode felt like checking the football scores on the teletext.
YES

kps88

They don't build up the battles because they can't afford/don't have the time to shoot so many large scale battles. If they spent time building it up, we'd all be complaining about how lame the pay off was.

We have to remember this is a TV show and not a big movie.

Norris

Great episode. Best of season 7 so far for me. Can't complain much about it. I read that people here found the Dany-Snow chemistry very meh, I would sort of agree. It did seem very forced, but definitely passable.

rcoobc

They don't build up the battles because they can't afford/don't have the time to shoot so many large scale battles. If they spent time building it up, we'd all be complaining about how lame the pay off was.

We have to remember this is a TV show and not a big movie.
I think that assertion is slightly backwards. Films usually have far less buildup, especially these days, and thats true of everything from avengers to Dunkirk.

Tv usually has tonnes of build up, and little pay off, like you say. Build up is cheap. You only need a couple of people talking about something that coukd happen, and you've got build up.

What GOT lacks is time, which seems an entirely self inflicted problem. They chose to cut the nunber of episodes. They chose not to introduce cheaper characters.

Anyway, enough complaining by me.

Good episode.

kps88

I think that assertion is slightly backwards. Films usually have far less buildup, especially these days, and thats true of everything from avengers to Dunkirk.

Tv usually has tonnes of build up, and little pay off, like you say. Build up is cheap. You only need a couple of people talking about something that coukd happen, and you've got build up.

What GOT lacks is time, which seems an entirely self inflicted problem. They chose to cut the nunber of episodes. They chose not to introduce cheaper characters.

Anyway, enough complaining by me.

Good episode.
My point was GoT can't afford spectacle along the lines of The Avengers. And they're approaching a point in the story now where the stuff they've been teasing for years has to come to fruition. If they spent an episode building up Jamie storming the castle, we'd have expected an epic battle at the end of it but they don't have the budget to pull that off.

Tosicsleftpeg

The only thing I found annoying about the episode was the insane speed of which eurons fleet can sail from a battle to king's landing then remuster very quickly and fight another battle in the next episode..

Zlatattack

My point was GoT can't afford spectacle along the lines of The Avengers. And they're approaching a point in the story now where the stuff they've been teasing for years has to come to fruition. If they spent an episode building up Jamie storming the castle, we'd have expected an epic battle at the end of it but they don't have the budget to pull that off.
I just feel i'd have liked to have been involved in the build up stage. They could have then done their "Rocky training montage" style battles and i wouldn't have minded (as much). it just seemed a little rushed.

rcoobc

You say that, but their viewing numbers are going up and up and up.

Of course the wages for the actors are going up, probably exponentially! But previously they introduced new characters every season. Have we had any new characters so far? A single one?

How much could it have cost for Greyworm to walk about with some of the other Unsullied marching about? Or a quick montage of Jon Snow with some Northmen on a boat? (Okay, Jon might have cost a bit). Or some Dothraki roaming about all over the place.

Just think they are being silly
I just feel i'd have liked to have been involved in the build up stage. They could have then done their "Rocky training montage" style battles and i wouldn't have minded (as much). it just seemed a little rushed.
Rising up, back on the street!

Sylar

If they introduced a new character, you would be complaining that they arent spending 20 minutes introducing them, or them giving a monologue about what they had for breakfast and why its making them feel constipated and wanting to run into a river to go for a swim.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
So sustenance is a concern for some of the characters on this show, but somehow not for anyone on Dragonstone, a barren rock consisting mostly of dragonglass and moody cliffsides. In this same episode, Jaime assures Olenna that Casterly Rock will not stay occupied for long because they emptied the larders and the Unsullied will be drawn out due to hunger.
Maybe in all those ships that brought them over they had room to bring a few months supplies with them and now it is all stored in the castle.

If it becomes pertinent they wil talk about Danny's supply situation but they are not going to add scenes for every side just to show everyone's supply situation.