Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Watched the season six finale last night, it really is an incredibly episode of TV. They've always been a bit shit at finales in previous seasons but they absolutely nailed that, and the cut to Jon's face with the music is still the best scene in the whole show imo.

Although the writing was on the wall for the time travel in it. Arya going from Braavos to the Frey's, and killing his sons in the space of an episode is as bad as anything in season seven.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Need you to give a timeline guess for s8 based on s7 viewing. Carry on the Robin tradition.
That's Rob in a microwave :wenger:

I've read the books so I didn't want to confuse the storylines, that's why I really needed to re-watch S7. I had forgotten where half of the characters were in the show at this point.

Sylar

That's Rob in a microwave :wenger:

I've read the books so I didn't want to confuse the storylines, that's why I really needed to re-watch S7. I had forgotten where half of the characters were in the show at this point.
Yeah but hes blocked.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
This is great:

Banner says in Arabic: 'The citizens of Beirut stand in support with Jon Snow for his upcoming battle with the white walkers'

Talk about a global phenomenon...a GOT banner over a road in Beirut. :lol:

Last edited:

Irrational.

I'm still working my way through Season 5 at the moment and it's such a slog. I don't think I'll finish before the first episode of season 8 is aired.

My main worry is that it's going to be impossible to avoid spoilers. There will always be some knobhead on facebook, a thread on reddit or a BBC headline that will try and ruin it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop it from being ruined?

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Ugh, me and the missus watched S7 to prepare, you forget just how terrible the writing became. The whole walking through the snow talking to each other was straight out of walking dead, and the invisible red shirts :lol:

It's lowered our expectations for S8, but hopefully that's a good thing.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Tried watching this once on Sky Atlantic. It has ad breaks. Ad breaks. What the feck is a channel you PAY EXTRA for doing having ad breaks?

I stick to reporting those torrents.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ugh, me and the missus watched S7 to prepare, you forget just how terrible the writing became. The whole walking through the snow talking to each other was straight out of walking dead, and the invisible red shirts :lol:

It's lowered our expectations for S8, but hopefully that's a good thing.
I'd forgotten about them.

There's a strong argument for that being the worst episode of GOT.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
i still can't remember.

that episode was just the worst, though.
I need to rewatch the last Season, i'll probably binge it this weekend. I dont' remember it being that bad, just the reasoning for the adventure was dumb as feck not to mention they crammed it in one episode, when prior Seasons they made a big deal of how slow and dangerous it was to go North of the wall.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I need to rewatch the last Season, i'll probably binge it this weekend. I dont' remember it being that bad, just the reasoning for the adventure was dumb as feck not to mention they crammed it in one episode, when prior Seasons they made a big deal of how slow and dangerous it was to go North of the wall.
The problem was there were like four or five really stupid things in quick succession that undermined the episode. The one wight they need to capture conveniently surviving when the White Walker is killed, the random red shirts appearing just so they could be killed, Gendry sprinting for help and the help arriving in crazy time, Jon being dragged under water (but somehow surviving), Jon being saved out of nowhere by Benjen (who for no apparent reason sacrifices himself), etc. It was remarkable how poorly written it was.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The problem was there were like four or five really stupid things in quick succession that undermined the episode. The one wight they need to capture conveniently surviving when the White Walker is killed, the random red shirts appearing just so they could be killed, Gendry sprinting for help and the help arriving in crazy time, Jon being dragged under water (but somehow surviving), Jon being saved out of nowhere by Benjen (who for no apparent reason sacrifices himself), etc. It was remarkable how poorly written it was.
I can imagine George's notes:

*Jon Snow and Friends ride North of the Wall and capture a Wight.

Tv Writers scream and spend days trying to brainstorm the episode. :lol:

Ballache

Supports
Martial
This is great:

Banner says in Arabic: 'The citizens of Beirut stand in support with Jon Snow for his upcoming battle with the white walkers'

Talk about a global phenomenon...a GOT banner over a road in Beirut. :lol:
We Lebanese are far from perfect but you can't knock our sense of Humour :lol:

Redlambs

Trust me dude, the spectacle is great, but the whole season has to be the worst in terms of writing and things just happening to suit. On first viewing I didn't think it was that bad at times, just stupid, but I'd compare what actually happens to any season of TWD in stupidity. They threw all logic and politics out of the window and made every single character a caricature.

I mean, even the death of LF was just plain stupid when you rewatch. I mean the build up was ridiculously poor, they really didn't handle that well.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't think the rest of the season was bad but that whole episode was nonsense. There's also the undead bear they decided to throw in because.. I dunno.. undead bear? I saw an interview with D&D where they said they'd been asking for an undead bear for the last few seasons but were refused because of budget costs, so finally got it in this season due to the increased budget. It made it sound like they don't give a feck anymore and will just throw in whatever they think is cool for the fun of it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Trust me dude, the spectacle is great, but the whole season has to be the worst in terms of writing and things just happening to suit. On first viewing I didn't think it was that bad at times, just stupid, but I'd compare what actually happens to any season of TWD in stupidity. They threw all logic and politics out of the window and made every single character a caricature.

I mean, even the death of LF was just plain stupid when you rewatch. I mean the build up was ridiculously poor, they really didn't handle that well.
Oh I can't stand the writing, it's been terrible since the book material ran out. But I can overlook that when they deliver setpieces like the Gold Convoy :drool:

The difference between GoT and TWD is that one show has excellent characters and the other has characters which are so dull and shite that you cheer the enemy on to destroy them every episode.

Redlambs

I don't think the rest of the season was bad but that whole episode was nonsense. There's also the undead bear they decided to throw in because.. I dunno.. undead bear? I saw an interview with D&D where they said they'd been asking for an undead bear for the last few seasons but were refused because of budget costs, so finally got it in this season due to the increased budget. It made it sound like they don't give a feck anymore and will just throw in whatever they think is cool for the fun of it.
The dragon pit was cringe as feck, the whole snow/dany storyline was too. Tyrion and Jaimie were also so terrible in what was written for them to do, but the worst thing all season was definitely the conversations between the main characters that met up. Especially the knowing smile between Hound and Brienne. Euron. Just so much terrible all through, I didn't realise on first veiwing.

Redlambs

Oh I can't stand the writing, it's been terrible since the book material ran out. But I can overlook that when they deliver setpieces like the Gold Convoy :drool:

The difference between GoT and TWD is that one show had excellent characters and the other has characters which are so dull and shite that you cheer the enemy on to destroy them every episode.
Fixed for you ;)

And yeah, we are still excited for the set pieces. But that's not what got us hooked, the story was. It's a shame is all.

gza the genius

Anyone have any comprehensive YouTube compilations of all the seasons? I've looked but most of them don't seem all that informative.

I've seen all of the seasons but only once when they originally aired so I'm definitely very rusty on my knowledge of what's going on.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The dragon pit was cringe as feck, the whole snow/dany storyline was too. Tyrion and Jaimie were also so terrible in what was written for them to do, but the worst thing all season was definitely the conversations between the main characters that met up. Especially the knowing smile between Hound and Brienne. Euron. Just so much terrible all through, I didn't realise on first veiwing.
Dragon Pit was good imo. All of the Daenerys/Jon storyline was done well. But they dropped the ball on Kings Landing and Winterfell, I mean the whole plotting against Littlefinger started off well when they had a little family meeting when Bran gave the dagger to Arya but after that it got a bit odd. My guess is that they hammed it up for two reasons, 1. To add some drama, 2. As the Starks had no idea if Littlefinger had any spies listening in on them. It was written in a very unintelligent way though and thats ultimately the problem. The TV writers simply don't have any genuine skill in storyline crafting. Having said all that, I do think i'm probably a bit more critical about the show now than I was back when it first started,

Redlambs

Dragon Pit was good imo. All of the Daenerys/Jon storyline was done well. But they dropped the ball on Kings Landing and Winterfell, I mean the whole plotting against Littlefinger started off well when they had a little family meeting when Bran gave the dagger to Arya but after that it got a bit odd. My guess is that they hammed it up for two reasons, 1. To add some drama, 2. As the Starks had no idea if Littlefinger had any spies listening in on them. It was written in a very unintelligent way though and thats ultimately the problem. The TV writers simply don't have any genuine skill in storyline crafting. Having said all that, I do think i'm probably a bit more critical about the show now than I was back when it first started,
You are probably less tbh :lol:

Art Vandelay

It's been that way for quite a while, there was a quote from around season 5-ish I can't recall the context exactly, but it involved something that made no sense and their explanation being "It made narrative sense because we wanted it to happen."

Not to harp on about it, but there's also Dorne. That was the real evidence they were going for what seemed cool rather than what worked narratively. Replacing Aryanne with the Sand Snakes is just a bad idea, they only seem cool in the books because they aren't really involved and you only see them through the lens of Aryanne's view of them. When you actually try to deal with them as characters they fall apart. Combine that with changing the storyline because they liked an actresses angry face kind of shows where the priorities went.

I think they only really wanted to do up until the red wedding, afterwards they didn't care as much.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I can wait for this tbh. Got so much other stuff I need to watch, but obviously I'll watch this as soon as.

Irwin99

Season 7 was the worst but i'm optimistic about 8. I'm actually going to miss Cersei, such a great character.

Sylar

Im waiting for you to explain how the WW got a huge ass amount of chains to bring the dragon up (I can even accept, that some wights who cant swim were sacrificed and are stuck in the water as they put the chains around the dragon).

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Watched the season again last week. Once you accept that the pacing is ramped up it isn't as bad as it was first time, although characters still do things that are out of character because the plot dictates it. Also Petyr went out like a lil bitch