Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Cloud7

Here's another one - the Lord of Light is clearly the best lord... i've said it before, but yeah, he's the only Lord that be getting shit done.
I would think the Lord of Light is the actual God in this world is he not? Everyone prays to the seven and the old gods, but the lord of light is the one that actually brings people back from the dead etc.

Cloud7

I just found all the "Arya is a Mary Sue and this is feminist propaganda" threads on reddit.

God I love the internet.
One of my friends who’s gone off the deep end recently has been tweeting about how GOT has become ‘disneyfied’ and is now focusing on promoting feminism :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why is everyone talking about game of thrones and not me?

Also “I have a strong opinion about something I admit I know absolutely nothing about”.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I’m not sure why you’re apologising. I thought the brown people comments were funny. Did Grey Worm (think that’s his name?) survive anyway? If not, that’s just one brown person left standing. But she’s very very fit, so that’s ok.
I think Grey Worm survived - lucky bastard.

@Njord
I was thinking whilst watching it, why didn’t they bombard the dead whilst they were stopped in a line at the fire?

Why no burning barrels etc pushed down towards them?
I thought they'd go for the pouring oil/something flammable over the walls when they were climbing them and then setting them on fire that way (ala Vikings)... would have made for a great visual if nothing else.

I wanted Ser Jorah to survive and stab Jon in the face. I think yours would have been more likely to happen though.

Maybe that's why I'm quite satisfied with this episode; Jorah was my favourite character and Theon was in my top 5 as well.
Onion man's mine... delighted he's still going strong. That man really knows where to stand during a battle.

Fingeredmouse

Mary Sue doesn't actually mean a woman who just got given major powers, it more means a woman who was made more powerful to fill a role. There is a male equivalent too.

Which of course is what she is, but not in the way these morons mean it, and certainly not how they've misinterpreted it :lol:

Despite wanting the killing to be better, anyone who gives a feck that it was any gender/skin colour role than ended up killing the NK seriously needs a look in the mirror. I for one am glad it was the badass ninja assassin, and not the lucky do gooder or the pretty queen who can't fight for shit.
I don't think I agree with your definition here. Surely it means a female character who can perform better than should be possible based on anything seen within the story who, often, upstages the protagonist? If the character is made powerful in order to fulfil a role and that is clearly shown and in context then they are simply a protagonist. Otherwise all development of skills and abilities to fulfill a key plot purpose make the individual a Mary Sue (or Garry Stu or whatever although it is telling there's not even a fixed name for the male equivalent).

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
My issue is not with the episode, it was generally quite well done. It's with the overall series arc now with Cersei as the big bad. She's a compelling character but honestly it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to have as her the overall big bad of the series given we have been talking about Winter is Coming for ages now.
But the whole thing is called Game of Thrones, not Winter is Coming.

The way Cersei fecked over the north and let them take massive losses, basically saving her land/people from being wiped out, gives a bit more spice to the end game. Which is all about who ends up sitting on the iron throne, as it should be.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
As others have said, he's basically GRRM putting himself in his novels. Don't worry, diabetes will claim him.
If that's the case we can definitely kill him off. Sam will never finish his story anyway.

MadMike

Actually it's the other way round. The book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones is only the first book. The point is that the Game is distracting the protagonists from what they should be focusing on; which is the battle against the icy dead.

That was the intention of the books anyway, the show has gone in a different direction.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I don't think I agree with your definition here. Surely it means a female character who can perform better than should be possible based on anything seen within the story who, often, upstages the protagonist? If the character is made powerful in order to fulfil a role and that is clearly shown and in context then they are simply a protagonist. Otherwise all development of skills and abilities to fulfill a key plot purpose make the individual a Mary Sue (or Garry Stu or whatever although it is telling there's not even a fixed name for the male equivalent).
No, we do agree mostly. It's the people who are using it as a slur on Arya is who we don't agree with.

She got her powers to fulfil a role, that is what I understand to be a Mary Sue. It's nothing to do with time frame. So yeah, she did get her powers to fulfil a role, but just because the internet and modern age have turned it into some anti-woman slur meaning she's there just because feminism, doesn't mean she is any less one or it should be a negative thing. And of course the episode clearly shows her having a weak spell, which is a grey area I believe.

Redlambs

Actually it's the other way round. The book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire and Game of Thrones is only the first book. The point is that the Game is distracting the protagonists from what they should be focusing on; which is the battle against the icy dead.

That was the intention of the books anyway, the show has gone in a different direction.
Which is why I said this earlier:

Which is a complaint I understand.

I think the fact it's called Game of Thrones on tv plays a part vs the book saga name. I expect that to be reversed if it ever finishes.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
My issue is not with the episode, it was generally quite well done. It's with the overall series arc now with Cersei as the big bad. She's a compelling character but honestly it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to have as her the overall big bad of the series given we have been talking about Winter is Coming for ages now.
Yeah the Night king in his army is nearly omnipotent unless you find a way to kill him and is bringing the Winter and destruction that's been prophecised for ages. Cersei is just the newest regent to sit on the iron throne where the many last regents have either died or been murdered. Obviously we all hate her or dislike her, but for me it would have made more sense to have Dany win the iron throne first and then have Dany and Jon fight the White Walkers with possibly Dany dying and Jon taking up the Iron Throne because of his birthright.

Obviously now Dany and Jons forces are decimated so it will be tough for them to win, but it will feel less romantic for big characters dying like Brienne, Jaime, Tyrion, maybe Jon or Dany or whatever for a battle for the iron throne which is essentially about political power instead of the great war that is about saving life and all existence.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

The way Cersei fecked over the north and let them take massive losses, basically saving her land/people from being wiped out, gives a bit more spice to the end game. Which is all about who ends up sitting on the iron throne, as it should be.
The original story is called A Song Of Fire And Ice. But that's kind of beside the point.
Cersei isn't some kind of masterful villain, she started out as Queen (regent) of seven kingdoms and now she's Queen of three(?) war torn kingdoms, she has no council, her children are all dead (thanks to her), her brothers and house have abandoned her and her power completely relies on a mercenary army and captain Jack Sparrow wanting to feck her.
A lot depends on how they tell the tell the end of the story, but that doesn't look like a worthy ultimate conflict to me. And anyway: since Arya is such a masterful stealth assassin she will just kill Cersei and Jack, so there won't even be the need for a fight, right?

Redlambs

It wasn't that either, the night king was created with glass in the chest. He was killed with a dagger much lower down and to the side.
Actually that's true.

Do we know that's not the actual tree though? The NK was created long in the past, and that scene looks more like the north than beyond the wall, so maybe Winterfell was created around that tree in particular...

Pogue Mahone

Ok, grand. Don’t really care about the books. As far as the tv series goes it makes sense that the whole thing is all about who ends up on the throne.

MadMike

Which is why I said this earlier:
Without wanting to sound like purist though, wherever the tv series diverges from the books it's mostly for the worst. That's because the writers don't have the time to flesh out a well told story in the GRRM way, but instead a lot of emphasis is put on cinematics and quality of sound and production instead of story quality and coherence.

And this is just another example of this. You have the undead rising in the North with hundreds of thousand of corpses and white walkers among them and they essentially get defeated in the first battle by only half the forces of Westeros. Quite underwhelming.

Redlambs

Without wanting to sound like purist though, wherever the tv series diverges from the books it's mostly for the worst. That's because the writers don't have the time to flesh out a well told story in the GRRM way, but instead a lot of emphasis is put on cinematics and quality of sound and production instead of story quality and coherence.

And this is just another example of this. You have the undead rising in the North with hundreds of thousand of corpses and white walkers among them and they essentially get defeated in the first battle by only half the forces of Westeros. Quite underwhelming.
I agree, but that's not my point.

In the show it Game of Thrones, so the actual battle for the throne is the key. The book saga has a different name, so perhaps was always going to end up flipped. I don't know, it's just a guess, but it makes sense as to why we've seen the end of the NK with 3 long episodes to go.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
It wasn't that either, the night king was created with glass in the chest. He was killed with a dagger much lower down and to the side.
In episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic xylophone, or something? Ha ha, boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Pogue Mahone

What do you want me to say to a post that is basically "ok grand, don't care"? Eye roll was more than that post deserved.
I don't care, though. Couldn't give a shit about the books. I assumed we were discussing the tv show. Hence my opinion that having a tv series called "Game of Thrones" climax with a battle for the iron throne makes sense.

Fairly sure there's a separate thread for the books anyway, if that's what you'd like to discuss instead.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Two? Both Dragons are still alive.
Jon's stupid beyond the wall plan (which turned out to be completely pointless cause Cersei didn't help anyway) lost her a dragon (and gave the NK one), and didn't the one he was on last night get killed by the undead one too? I guess it wasn't seen dying, just crashing to the ground.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
The Mary-Sue quip is so dumb. We've spent seven seasons watching Arya train to be the best assassin in the show for feck sake.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Depends who signed it. If it's you, probably a quid.

If it's GRRM, probably have to pay them to take it if they are fans and realise he's fecked them.
Nah it's genuine all right. The done thing is to wait until he dies and ask for 500 on ebay yes?

Redlambs

I’m not sure what Maisie Williams training really hard for the role has to do with Arya being a Mary Sue or not
Nothing. Nor am I sure why some randomer tweeting about common knowledge is suddenly a valuable source of information.

The issue isn't whether or not she's a 'Mary Sue', it's whether or not that should be allowed to be used as a negative thing for me.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I’m not sure what Maisie Williams training really hard for the role has to do with Arya being a Mary Sue or not
To be honest i just posted that mainly for the gif. Just thought it was cool. As for the Mary Sue angle, i assume the author of that tweet is getting at the fact that she "earned" her moment as opposed to having it gifted to her. Also, Arya isn't a Mary Sue.