Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Slightly annoyed nostril flaring Daenerys is certainly more sexy than normal Daenerys.
Why are you annoyed? That's natural!

Don't make me put you in the sexist corner with this HTC dude...

I mean, it's pretty difficult for Emilia Clarke to not look beautiful.
She's hideous without makeup. Haven't you heard?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I've never understood the strategy between Dany and her advisors. It always seems to revolve around Dany wanting to burn down the city vs laying siege for find a peaceful solution.

Dany did the totally pragmatic thing before she went Hitler. She used her Dragon to take out their defenses and enemy's key points, so her and her dragon and her army could take out the enemy. And it worked, when they surrendered no or little civilians died or were hurt. But no because she didn't get laid and Misssandei died in a war, she decides to slowly and deliberately burn every civilian in the city alive.

It's just such bad writing for a character who is aware of her fathers madness and is conscious of not becoming like him and being a just ruler. Even if people of westeros don't love her, maybe they actually would if she governed in just and generous way. And Her and Jon could marry since she needs a child to produce an heir.
That Dany could take the wrong path was a possibility that had been obvious for a long time. Her actions (starting with her brother's death) were not always of an honest, good-natured intention. In Essos she proved that she has no problem spilling the blood of (innocent) people. Even when she left Winterfell, the quick victory was more important to her than the well-being of her own people. By this time at the latest, her priorities had clearly shifted. Something which made Vary sway his opinion. Again, that was a clear hint that Dany was not to be trusted.

Her complete focus on the throne alone can be seen as a sign of a madness. She has clearly proclaimed that no one may stand between her and the Iron Throne.

In the last episodes she had to fight more and more with disappointments. She felt increasingly betrayed and distrusted people who actually meant well. These are clear signs of paranoia.

She also lost important companions and a second dragon. These are all triggers that can pave the way or even reinforce a negative development of her personality (which she was carrying in her genes, already).

Her development reminds me of that of her brother and also that of her father. So you can't blame the authors for Dany suddenly going crazy. There were enough ambiguous hints, which laid the foundation for her going berserk.

Redlambs

No, I mean, when shes slightly annoyed and her nostrils are flaring she's sexier than normal Daenerys.

Although Season 3 Daenerys with that blue dress was damn sexy. :drool:
where's that 2/10 would not bang meme when you need it?
Will you guys stop mocking him?

@HTG has a serious point here. Let him make it ffs.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I feel like my scientific source stating that there's a correlation between mental illness and not wearing make up is being overlooked.

also, my wife never wears make up. I guess she's insane.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
they clearly should have put more makeup on her because I heard from a reputable source when women go crazy that's the first thing they do.

Redlambs

I feel like my scientific source stating that there's a correlation between mental illness and not wearing make up is being overlooked.

also, my wife never wears make up. I guess she's insane.
My GF doesn't either. She is actually insane.

I know this because although she does love video games and GOT, she puts up with me despite me doing my best to put here off! Imagine the willpower, to live with me the destroyer of shite games, and yet still actually love me? feck sake, she not only puts me in my place, but she even humours me on the Jaqen horse theory! Keeper.

they clearly should have put more makeup on her because I heard from a reputable source when women go crazy that's the first thing they do.
It'd be weird if they don't. Right @HTG ?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I know this because although she does love video games and GOT, she puts up with me despite me doing my best to put here off! Imagine the willpower, to live with me the destroyer of shite games, and yet still actually love me? feck sake, she not only puts me in my place, but she even humours me on the Jaqen horse theory! Keeper.
Oh won't she be in for a shock when the Jaqen removes the horse face first scene of the finale. I want a brag dance pre prepared.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I think she's a beautiful and strong woman with or without makeup.

Please tell me where I'm going wrong so that I may learn?
I never said she wasn't good looking anymore. So you're either discussing in bad faith or you just don't get what I'm saying.
There is a way women are presented on television and in media overall. Makeup is basically an essential part of that, as not adhering to the standards of society usually causes negative effects towards them. A woman that wears makeup is usually considered pretty and as part of society. It's something expected of them, so they can actually belong. If you suddenly portrait her without this, in order to signify madness, you're basically enforcing a societal stigma. It's just a way of saying that a woman who stops paying extreme attention to her looks must be crazy.

Redlambs

Oh won't she be in for a shock when the Jaqen removes the horse face first scene of the finale. I want a brag dance pre prepared.
She has actually, and this is 100% the truth, threatened to leave me for a week if Jaqen even shows up.

Picture this, we were watching the episode live. It was her birthday. I was drunk on JD. I'd already called that weird woman we saw Jaqen multiple times, until she got burnt to a crisp. The horse shows up, I'm now calling that horse Jaqen both in real life and on here. I wake up next day, and I've not stopped going on about it, both in real life and on here.

Do you honestly think, for one moment, if that horse turns out to be Jaqen that I'm not making all your lives misery for a very fecking long time?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I never said she wasn't good looking anymore. So you're either discussing in bad faith or you just don't get what I'm saying.
There is a way women are presented on television and in media overall. Makeup is basically an essential part of that, as not adhering to the standards of society usually causes negative effects towards them. A woman that wears makeup is usually considered pretty and as part of society. It's something expected of them, so they can actually belong. If you suddenly portrait her without this, in order to signify madness, you're basically enforcing a societal stigma. It's just a way of saying that a woman who stops paying extreme attention to her looks must be crazy.
So even though there is a real world link between mental illness and neglecting your appearance it's sexist to show this in a TV show? TV and movies have generally painted both evil men and women as ugly or disheveled not just women. It's a general TV trope more than anything.

Also, I don't know about Germany, but in The Netherlands wearing make up is not expected of women whatsoever. The bolded, in my humble opinion, is quite a reach.

Dave89

OK, how far back do I need to go to see posts that are not about makeup?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
She has actually, and this is 100% the truth, threatened to leave me for a week if Jaqen even shows up.

Picture this, we were watching the episode live. It was her birthday. I was drunk on JD. I'd already called that weird woman we saw Jaqen multiple times, until she got burnt to a crisp. The horse shows up, I'm now calling that horse Jaqen both in real life and on here. I wake up next day, and I've not stopped going on about it, both in real life and on here.

Do you honestly think, for one moment, if that horse turns out to be Jaqen that I'm not making all your lives misery for a very fecking long time?
I'd get Damien to change your tagline to "correctly guessed horse was Jaqen". You'd be a hero in my eyes Lambs, an actual hero.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
My GF doesn't either. She is actually insane.

It'd be weird if they don't. Right @HTG ?
Come on don't sell yourself short. You actually finished that shite samurai game that came out this year, which I won't mention. You're a fecking rockstar.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
You have 3 centuries of Targaryen rule with long times of peace before that. And as I said, the mad king's rule per se did not bring war to the kingdom, so for the common people all was still well until the rebellion. Taking Robert's rebellion, rule, and the Stark-Lannister aftermath together, we have ~20 years without a Targaryen king of which only 10 went without major acts of war. There are lots of people alive who remember stability under Targaryen rule, and on top of that the stories that are handed down from one generation to the other.
First 3 centuries is irrelevant as no one would remember all those years except Bloodraven and Bran and anyway Targaryen was definitely NOT 3 centuries of some imaginary golden age where all the small folk loved the Targs. You had all sorts of things Duskendale, Ninepenny Kings, Blackfyre rebellion, etc.

Its 25 years since Robert's rebellion and at least 45+ years since the last sane Targaryen king. You can't just invent fan fiction that there are "lots of people who remember the stability of Targaryen rule".

Redlambs

What about a tired mother, who was up all night worrying about her kid? Is she allowed to look dishevelled?

Last I checked, she wasn't in a photo shoot, she was in a tv show and one showing her to be tired and stressed and about to snap. I'm not going to really have a go at you, because I get you are trying to be the good guy here, but seriously you need to get yourself off of twitter and into the real world. In the real world, the only way to move forward and actually change is to fight the real fight, and not try to poke at something for the wrong reason.

I'm also not discussing in bad faith, and if you want to suggest that again then come at me with some real evidence. I actually do get what you are saying, and I am telling you that it's not about looking for fights, it's about actually recognising them properly.

Jaysus your missus sounds mental, I bet she doesn't even wear makeup.
She doesn't. But she'd join me under Dany's skirt.

OK, how far back do I need to go to see posts that are not about makeup?
Don't. You might learn something about sexism!

Come on don't sell yourself short. You actually finished that shite samurai game that came out this year, which I won't mention. You're a fecking rockstar.
I've finished it numerous times. I actually really liked it, but I know if I said what I actually thought I'd get so much shit on here that even I can't be bothered sometimes :lol:

But the point was more she loves them herself, all the ones you'd expect me to hate. In fact, I bought her Days Gone recently, now just imagine how much I've had to hold my tongue! She also completes everything she plays, I can't even remember the last one I have before Sekiro :(

Oldyella

Yeah im agreeing with this. And they could have made it obvious that the dragon with Dany on top guiding is the reason it can avoid (she learnt from after Bron took her down last season)
Whereas make a big deal about Rhaegal being hurt from long night episode but still going on. They could still do their trip last episode where Rhaegal gets hit with one and retreats and Dany (and drogon go after it). Leaves the ships still vulnerable for the attack and Missandei still gets captured.

Then in the last epi, losing her child there adds to the misery and the bells still send her OTT.

Again not perfect, but still gets to the same points that need to be covered in the episodes. Oh well.
Kill her child and then ring the bells almost straight after, Dany then ignores them as she doesn't get to punish the Lannister army.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Kill her child and then ring the bells almost straight after, Dany then ignores them as she doesn't get to punish the Lannister army.
The problem is, they obviously want to explain why others are turning against her. She needs as much heat as possible, no explanations such as "she was emotional because she lost her child" allowed. And this is why i hate it so much, it was so damn predictable and the whole behaviour of most people involved made no sense at all. Has been for the last 2 episodes.

I am not a hater of the series, i enjoyed most of it without criticizing over the top. But this season is reaaaally disappointing for me. But at least ep03 was great, even though the WW's deserved more than 1 episode in my opinion.

Sylar

This thread. Lets be honest, we are all going to miss this show and this thread. Almost 1k posts (I can see this particular thread started beginning of s3). So im guessing there were different threads for the first two seasons (im sure most shows used to have a new thread for each new season).
I think the @RedSky and @Redlambs are the only ones with more posts than me here :lol:

Maybe yeah. This is why I tend not to focus on the 'what it could have been' cos im certain, no matter what, somebody will point out a flaw in it (and would rather focus on what we got).
What we got for the most part has been certainly entertaining (even if a bit rushed recently)

For next episode, im guessing we get another time jump somewhere that sees them all going to Winterfell? Or the others coming down to KL? I cant see too much of a split location. Will be interesting to see what they do as it is basically the resolution.

Fully Fledged

This is my opinion on the latest episode. It contains spoilers.

I think the way they took Kings Landing and then ruined it, killing loads of people inside for revenge was actually a great way to tell the story. It was realistic (not the dragons, the carnage). In the olden days this sort of thing happened regularly (still does today to some extent). There was nobody to stop these mighty rulers exacting revenge and spreading fear. Fear was a useful way to control an alien population. It might not be how we the viewer want it to happen because it doesn't fit the good guy/bad guy simpleton narrative, but it was the way battles played out.
Very true. Good post

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This would've made a bit of a difference.

I disagree. Lots of people complain about the show being dumbed down but you don't need to spoon-feed people. We know, or should know, the grief and paranoia she is going through.

The lingering shot of Dany in that moment was fantastic. Some of the best facial acting in the show, in my opinion. Splicing it with clips ruins the weight of the moment.

Fully Fledged

Have to disagree, whatever his limitations as a writer he’s clearly trying to portray the horrors of medieval warfare and life in general for the common man, and the amoral world of the elites who inflict it on them.
Yep. It wasn't unheard of for entire cities to be laid to waste to make the next target see what would happen to anyone who stood against a ruler.

Redlambs

This thread. Lets be honest, we are all going to miss this show and this thread. Almost 1k posts (I can see this particular thread started beginning of s3). So im guessing there were different threads for the first two seasons (im sure most shows used to have a new thread for each new season).
I think the @RedSky and @Redlambs are the only ones with more posts than me here :lol:

Maybe yeah. This is why I tend not to focus on the 'what it could have been' cos im certain, no matter what, somebody will point out a flaw in it (and would rather focus on what we got).
What we got for the most part has been certainly entertaining (even if a bit rushed recently)

For next episode, im guessing we get another time jump somewhere that sees them all going to Winterfell? Or the others coming down to KL? I cant see too much of a split location. Will be interesting to see what they do as it is basically the resolution.
I didn't start watching until mid s2 myself I think. The sad thing is, I can't even say how many of my posts were serious!

At least @Eboue has the good old greenday excuse to fall back on.

Redlambs

Yep. It wasn't unheard of for entire cities to be laid to waste to make the next target see what would happen to anyone who stood against a ruler.
That's part and parcel of his research though, and on that point I agree.

However, the topic being debated was social commentary. On that front, do we believe the whole point is mankind is bad?

Fully Fledged

However, the topic being debated was social commentary. On that front, do we believe the whole point is mankind is bad?
That mankind in general is bad? No. It might be that we can't make up a bad guy that can do more horrific things that mankind can do though. We could have a Night King lay waste to a city and it might be horrific but it would be nowhere near as shocking as seeing a human doing it because we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Sylar

I disagree. Lots of people complain about the show being dumbed down but you don't need to spoon-feed people. We know, or should know, the grief and paranoia she is going through.

The lingering shot of Dany in that moment was fantastic. Some of the best facial acting in the show, in my opinion. Splicing it with clips ruins the weight of the moment.
Danys reaction to Tormund telling Jon (ep4) that you have to be either a king or a madman to ride a dragon was great too. Given he said Jon is a king (and its quite funny given they would all be walking dead if it wasnt for Dany and her sacrifices).

I think the person who mentioned 'they should have had Dany standing and hearing screams and visions of Missandei dying, her dragon falling etc' to make it all more obvious made me laugh (I think that was the gist). I think that would have been horrible. I defo think they could have done more subtle things (like the one from ep4) but dont think it would have worked with the shorter season.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
What about a tired mother, who was up all night worrying about her kid? Is she allowed to look dishevelled?

Last I checked, she wasn't in a photo shoot, she was in a tv show and one showing her to be tired and stressed and about to snap. I'm not going to really have a go at you, because I get you are trying to be the good guy here, but seriously you need to get yourself off of twitter and into the real world. In the real world, the only way to move forward and actually change is to fight the real fight, and not try to poke at something for the wrong reason.

I'm also not discussing in bad faith, and if you want to suggest that again then come at me with some real evidence. I actually do get what you are saying, and I am telling you that it's not about looking for fights, it's about actually recognising them properly.
The line about a stressed mother has nothing to do with what I said. What I said is merely this: women are expected to look a certain way. Makeup is part of that. That expectation is perpetuated throughout all forms of media, and gets repeated again and again, especially in advertising, but obviously everywhere else. A woman who doesn't adhere to those standards, for whatever reasons, usually faces a backlash of some sort. This is something I will not discuss any further, because it is so incredibly and obviously true.
The very second the character we're talking about stopped functioning properly as a member of society, the makers of the show stopped portraying her in the usual manner. She was shown either without makeup, or the classical no-makeup-makeup. I merely said I was disappointed about that. I didn't show any anger, I didn't pick a fight, I was just somewhat disappointed, because I view this kind of portrayal, the underlying subtext it carries, as harmful. To suggest that this is sexist, as you did, is not discussing in good faith, it is merely an attempt to discredit what I wrote, in a way that doesn't require any actual argument. That's not a discussion held in good faith, it is a willful misinterpretation of what I said.
The rest of the quote is just some arrogant nonsense. Insinuating that I was picking a fight has nothing to do with the truth and advising me to go into the real world (whatever that is) is merely insulting.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I thought it was, power corrupts, no matter your intentions.

Unless of course if you're a Stark.

Meh.

Fully Fledged

Danys reaction to Tormund telling Jon (ep4) that you have to be either a king or a madman to ride a dragon was great too. Given he said Jon is a king (and its quite funny given they would all be walking dead if it wasnt for Dany and her sacrifices).

I think the person who mentioned 'they should have had Dany standing and hearing screams and visions of Missandei dying, her dragon falling etc' to make it all more obvious made me laugh (I think that was the gist). I think that would have been horrible. I defo think they could have done more subtle things (like the one from ep4) but dont think it would have worked with the shorter season.
I'm sorry but there countless men and women who stood outside Winterfell who made far bigger sacrifices than Dany did. They made the ultimate sacrifice of giving their lives. Dany gave other peoples lives.

Redlambs

The line about a stressed mother has nothing to do with what I said. What I said is merely this: women are expected to look a certain way. Makeup is part of that. That expectation is perpetuated throughout all forms of media, and gets repeated again and again, especially in advertising, but obviously everywhere else. A woman who doesn't adhere to those standards, for whatever reasons, usually faces a backlash of some sort. This is something I will not discuss any further, because it is so incredibly and obviously true.
The very second the character we're talking about stopped functioning properly as a member of society, the makers of the show stopped portraying her in the usual manner. She was shown either without makeup, or the classical no-makeup-makeup. I merely said I was disappointed about that. I didn't show any anger, I didn't pick a fight, I was just somewhat disappointed, because I view this kind of portrayal, the underlying subtext it carries, as harmful. To suggest that this is sexist, as you did, is not discussing in good faith, it is merely an attempt to discredit what I wrote, in a way that doesn't require any actual argument. That's not a discussion held in good faith, it is a willful misinterpretation of what I said.
The rest of the quote is just some arrogant nonsense. Insinuating that I was picking a fight has nothing to do with the truth and advising me to go into the real world (whatever that is) is merely insulting.
She had makeup on in that scene. Quite clearly so. Just not lipstick I guess.

In other words, you can write endless paragraphs about this all you like, but it doesn't really matter. They didn't strip her of her beauty to make her look mad, beauty isn't in makeup.

I apologise if you find yourself insulted btw, that wasn't my intention. But if you have been, maybe that's because you yourself have been arguing in bad faith and taken my responses as such?

Redlambs

That mankind in general is bad? No. It might be that we can't make up a bad guy that can do more horrific things that mankind can do though. We could have a Night King lay waste to a city and it might be horrific but it would be nowhere near as shocking as seeing a human doing it because we hold ourselves to a higher standard.
I thought it was, power corrupts, no matter your intentions.

Unless of course if you're a Stark.

Meh.
Exactly.

There's no deep social commentary here bar the usual "mankind is bad!" Stuff.