Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

RochaRoja

It was like, let's rush everything and and its a happy ending for everyone, everyone got their positions in power, except Jon who never wanted anything. It's like a nice story you'd read to your kids. They all lived happily ever after.
It was either going to end with this or the Night King destroying everyone. And either way people wouldn’t be happy.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bran’s a cnut.

He’s been playing the long game for a couple of seasons now to get the throne. Revealed Jon’s parentage so that Dany goes mental and kills everyone and Jon has to off her.
I was waiting for him to get up, start walking & say “surprise bitches”... he’s masterminded himself becoming king.

GBBQ

So, I had held out some hope of a good finale after reading a twitter thread (shared on here) where it was suggested the writers had a definite ending in mind and reverse engineered it to fit over 2 seasons (which explained some of the rushed scenes etc.).

How wrong they were!

It was a complete cop out. For a show which made its name for shocking moments, no happy endings and no character being safe the ending was pretty upbeat and surprisingly devoid of conflict in the aftermath of Dany's death.

RochaRoja

How comes it ends up exactly the same though?

A small council arguing over where to spend money, and a master of coins wanting to use it on the brothels. A useless king not even really giving much of a feck.

Literally nothing has changed in the wheel :lol:
Pretty sure that was the entire point of that scene.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I honestly thought the murder would be discovered by Grey worm and some guards / Dothraki just after it happened. Drogon would stand between them and Jon and then try to burn Jon. However, he'd emerge unhurt from the flames witnessed by Grey worm et al who would then drop to their knees in recognition of the true heir.

Surely a better ending than what we got.

RochaRoja

They had 30 minutes or so left after Dany died, there wasn't any viable ending within that timeframe that would've been satisfactory.

They should've let the rest of the episode be about everyone finding out about Dany's death, and then another 1h+ episode about the implications and aftermath of her death. Regardless of where all characters ended up at the end, the way they got to that point could've been done a lot, lot better than this.
Yeah, essentially the biggest problem with this season (and the last one) was that there were way too many plot points for far too few episodes.

The long night should’ve been a season.
The last war should’ve been a season.
That finale should’ve been a season.

You can’t help but feel that everyone on the show couldn’t wait to get it over with.

(I still enjoyed it though, despite its obvious flaws)

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Pretty sure that was the entire point of that scene.
Yeah that's exactly what it was. I think Jon arguably ended up as the happiest of the characters as he doesn't have to bother with any of that mess now. He's not coming back to the Night's Watch either in my view.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The bit where they suggest democracy and they all do that awful fake laughter is also horrendous. Just that entire council scene overall was horrific.

RochaRoja

Why is a cutthroat with no education whatsoever Master of Coin.

Can he even count? Has he any experience whatsoever with finances, beyond spending it in a brothel?

This was the decision of all seeing and all knowing Broken Bran. All hail.
Pretty sure it’s a callback to this scene:

The way they fecked up Bronn’s character this season was just criminal though. Had they just brought him back for this (intentionally silly) scene it’d have been fine.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Awful stuff. Three seasons worth of material pressed into six fecking episode just because Dumb & Dumber couldn't wait to feck off to Star Wars. Won't be watching any other shows produced by these thundercunts.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Oh, you're serious? You actually enjoyed that?
It wasn't that bad. I thought they rushed Dany a bit and I wanted to see her reaction more to Jon's betrayal. I also wanted to see Unsullied putting Jon in prison rather than a time jump.

But I don't have a lot of complaints with the finale. They couldnt have really done much else.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That was so fecking shit oh my god :lol:

Fan fiction level writing combined with being hideously dull. What a combination to end Game of Thrones on.

edit: Just had a quick skim of the thread and I 100% agree with people saying it plummeted in quality after Dany died. Up till then the episode was excellent, the opening scene poignant, Tyrion was back to his best.

Then we got boring council meetings and everything wrapped up in a nice pretty pink bow in completely boring, anticlimactic style. As if Greyworm wouldn't kill Jon for feck sake.
Tbf I could probably buy that Grey Worm might decide to keep Jon alive as a hostage given the Unsullied/Dothraki are surrounded by enemies at this point. It would be the smart thing to do, so fine.

What was really off was him then being so sanguine at the negotiation as his they elect a king (who is a relative of one of his prisoners), elect a queen (who is also a relative of one of his prisoners), appoint a hand (who is one of his prisoners) and "compromise" by freeing his second prisoner to join an organisation that he actually runs. Though he'll have to take their word on that last part because he has no way of knowing if they'll actually follow through on it.

RochaRoja

Came in here for the meltdown. Am not disappointed.

I liked the symmetry of the show. Disappointed that Bran was picked as the king. How did he get down to KL so quickly anyway? Jon and Gendry had a bigger shout for the crown - but Jon got what he deserved. He may be competent in battle but he has the brain of a wight. Grey Worm got annoying real quick. Arya becoming some kind of explorer was cheesy. What happened to Varys' letters from the last episode?

How was Jon allowed to enter the throne room and why didn't Dany have any guards? Same with Jon and Tyrion having the treasonous conversation with the privacy of being on some encrypted wifi connection.

Also, Jon Snow: Queen slayer or Queens Layer? :drool:
Because as far as her armies are concerned, Jon is her lover and most important ally. He was even standing alongside her during her speech to them a few scenes earlier.

I swear people are just looking for plot holes that aren’t even there at this point.

RochaRoja

Tbf I could probably buy that Grey Worm might decide to keep Jon alive as a hostage given the Unsullied/Dothraki are surrounded by enemies at this point. It would be the smart thing to do, so fine.

What was really off was him then being so sanguine at the negotiation as his they elect a king (who is a relative of one of his prisoners), elect a queen (who is also a relative of one of his prisoners), appoint a hand (who is one of his prisoners) and "compromise" by freeing his second prisoner to join an organisation that he actually runs. Though he'll have to take their word on that last part because he has no way of knowing if they'll actually follow through on it.
Greyworm and the unsullied should’ve been killed off in this episode and the Dothraki should never have (somehow) returned from being massacred at Winterfell. Literally the only reason there was so many of them left was so it would look all cool and ominous when Dany gave her General Hux speech.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
No. It was absolute shit, in isolation or otherwise.
Ah, thanks for reminding me that my own thoughts aren't really my own. How foolish of me to assume otherwise. Can you tell me how I should wipe my arse as well, feck nugget?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It would’ve been cooler if Greyworm and a bunch of unsullied came in the throne room and attacked Jon, with Drogon saving him and torching them before fecking off with Daenerys’s body.

That also solves problem number two.
It's fine, all of the Unsullied will die when they reach Naath anyway because D&D kinda forgot about that butterfly disease thingy.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Martin can shove his pen and the remaining book up his arse. The bastard ruined the show because of his laziness.

Irrational.

Because as far as her armies are concerned, Jon is her lover and most important ally. He was even standing alongside her during her speech to them a few scenes earlier.

I swear people are just looking for plot holes that aren’t even there at this point.
Still doesn't make sense to leave a newly crowned queen completely unattended. Jon had to give up his sword when he went to see Tyrion yet went to see Dany fully armed :lol::lol:

Also, I'd like to think that Jon would've been killed on the spot by the Unsullied/ Dothraki the moment they found out he'd murdered their Queen. We see them executing Lannister soldiers for much less earlier in the episode. That he was allowed to live was hilarious.

Also, why wouldn't the North support Ned Stark's last trueborn son as the King of the Realm?

RochaRoja

Still doesn't make sense to leave a newly crowned queen completely unattended. Jon had to give up his sword when he went to see Tyrion yet went to see Dany fully armed :lol::lol:

Also, I'd like to think that Jon would've been killed on the spot by the Unsullied/ Dothraki the moment they found out he'd murdered their Queen. We see them executing Lannister soldiers for much less earlier in the episode. That he was allowed to live was hilarious.
Yeah, I definitely agree with this part. It’s a shame that there wasn’t a showdown between Jon and Greyworm.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Anyone else find it hilarious that Ser Davos suggested to the Unsullied they settle in empty lands and start their own house? A house they can’t populate because none of them have nuts.
Was it any more dumb than 3 Starks, Samwell Tarly and Ser Brienne being on the council that decides the fate of the realm?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The Little Council scene felt like the end of a very shitty sitcom.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Ah, thanks for reminding me that my own thoughts aren't really my own. How foolish of me to assume otherwise. Can you tell me how I should wipe my arse as well, feck nugget?

You pondered whether the episode was disliked because the season was shit. I answered and said no, it was shit because the episode was shit.

I wouldn't even wipe my arse with the script from this episode. Shite, cheesy council scenes definitely make fantastic finale material.

If you enjoyed it, fine. But it was shite television, hence why most people are calling it shite television. They aren't doing that because the rest of the season was also mostly poor (it actually all looks pretty good compared to the final) they're doing it because it was absolutely woeful in isolation.

Irrational.

Anyone else find it hilarious that Ser Davos suggested to the Unsullied they settle in empty lands and start their own house? A house they can’t populate because none of them have nuts.
Well they've been fecking multiplying somehow since their army was decimated by the dead.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Was it any more dumb than 3 Starks, Samwell Tarly and Ser Brienne being on the council that decides the fate of the realm?
Tarly was there as probable representative of The Reach. The Starks and Brienne were probably banded together as the North so only were entitled to one vote and I imagine Davos could have been a representative for either the North or the Stormlands supporting Gendry.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Okay i am finished now with the episode. I am still struggling to find any words.

First of all, i am not a hater. The only thing i really disliked until this season, was Joffreys (far too early) death. It took a lot of tension out of the series. Also Cerseis Arc was really bad, she was basically done since she had to run naked through KL.

I really love GoT. All those years i was so excited and was always imagining what will happen in the end etc. The first 3 episodes were good, not perfect, totally rushed, but still good and very exciting. Worty of GoT, even though they should have more episodes for this.

But this last 2-3 episodes... I just wish that i hadn't seen them, i really do. Having seen this, really made me... i don't know, stumbling for words. Especially the last episode was truly painful. Every single bit about it. I really feel sad now. Well, i knew i would feel sad if GoT will end, but everything about the last 3 episodes felt so incredibly unsatisfying and disappointing. I don't even know where to start. Maybe i will try later.

As posted before, to give you a glimps of my feelings of this episode: Pure disappointment. I really felt bad the whole episode. When Jon killed Dany i was just thinking "PLEASE no timeskip, please no timeskip" - 2 weeks later. Ultimately, this was foreshadowed when Tormund said to Jon that he's a northener, when Tyrion told Jon that he has to go the Nightswatch this made me laugh out loud. I never laughed that loud when watching TV alone. I never laughed as loud when watching GoT. I even had tears in my eyes while laughing. And i am not even sure if it was because i thought this is so funny in a sarcastic way, or because i was sad of HOW BAD this is. :lol: And i had to remember Kit Harringtons "disappointing" comment on YT posted over here. :lol:

Sorry to choose hard words now, but this was just shit. This was not worthy of GoT at all. Hopefully i can somehow forget the last 3 episodes when i will someday rewatch the series. If this show was not finished now, i would say the writers should be fired. Well now they should be imprisoned or atleast send them to the Nightswatch. :lol:

This was even worse than the ending of Dexter. I know it's hard to please everyone. But in the end they just decided to please no one? :lol: Hopefully Drogon someday just decides to burn 'em all.

Last edited:

evil_geko

It wasn't that bad. I thought they rushed Dany a bit and I wanted to see her reaction more to Jon's betrayal. I also wanted to see Unsullied putting Jon in prison rather than a time jump.

But I don't have a lot of complaints with the finale. They couldnt have really done much else.
You have to say it is the worst finale ever made to fit with the cool kids. :rolleyes:

Sylar

Has he any experience whatsoever with finances, beyond spending it in a brothel?
I swear this is a quote from an earlier season about Tyrion haha

Yeah there were no tree inside the tower of joy when lyanna dies and tells Ned to protect her son. Plus there wasn't any tree inside the throne room when Baelish makes his 'Chaos is a ladder' speech. This seems to suggest that he can see across space and time
Im assuming he can only warg into something that he knows is there. Eg for the west, what is he gonna warg into? Unless its a raven that flies there, but then I guess theres no point, just let Arya do it?

How was Jon allowed to enter the throne room and why didn't Dany have any guards? Same with Jon and Tyrion having the treasonous conversation with the privacy of being on some encrypted wifi connection.

Gonna guess Drogon was her huge bodyguard. Anybody else who could harm her gets torched.
The second part I cant even think of a reason :lol:

I honestly thought the murder would be discovered by Grey worm and some guards / Dothraki just after it happened. Drogon would stand between them and Jon and then try to burn Jon. However, he'd emerge unhurt from the flames witnessed by Grey worm et al who would then drop to their knees in recognition of the true heir.

Surely a better ending than what we got.
Given he was burnt in s1, I think it would have been a mess that he can be burnt by fire, but dragon fire he is fine with now, cos he knows his true identity.

The finale was going great until Drogon flew away. A lot of the issues that have been mentioned, happened after this and a lot of it, is fair criticism. I really really thought they would have done the finale, had it plotted and worked backwards. And we would have had a fantastic finale but a clunky rush job to get to it due to their own timescale set. But its a bit sad, especially that scene with them all sitting deciding whos gonna be King.

This really needed another season, or at least another 5-6 episodes and HBO should have told the directors if they dont want to finish it, let somebody else finish it. Or they could do something else and then come back for the finale. Theres a lot more that could have been done and still got to the end point.

I actually didnt mind the endings for some of the characters. And Jons face off with Ghost made up for episode previously where he just nods at him.
Its a shame cos this season should have been at least a 9/10 given we had:
-Long Night
-Battle at KL to look forward to. And in isolation, both were fantastic viewings. But overall this season is maybe even worse than 5 given its the actual ending

RochaRoja

What was Brienne’s role on the council? I didn’t catch it. I assume she’s king’s guard but king’s guard doesn’t sit on the small council.

The biggest issue with this episode was Tyrion’s beard looking way too well groomed after being imprisoned for presumably several months.

RedDevilRoshi

Woke up now and the first thing my dad asked me was how was the season finale? My response was, “I would rather have watched the recent Cardiff City home game instead”.

It was fecking awful. As soon as Dany died, it took a real proper nose dive. It was like they hadn’t a clue what to do for the remaining 45 mins. That council scene was horrific. The ending with Bran becoming the king, Jon going off to live with Wildlings, Sansa becoming the queen of the north and Arya setting off to become the new Christopher Columbus - dearie fecking me!

Has to be one of the worst season finales of all time!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
You pondered whether the episode was disliked because the season was shit. I answered and said no, it was shit because the episode was shit.

I wouldn't even wipe my arse with the script from this episode. Shite, cheesy council scenes definitely make fantastic finale material.

If you enjoyed it, fine. But it was shite television, hence why most people are calling it shite television. They aren't doing that because the rest of the season was also mostly poor (it actually all looks pretty good compared to the final) they're doing it because it was absolutely woeful in isolation.
Apparently if you disliked this episode it is because you’re trying to be cool - not maybe because you actually might have a semblance of a brain and able to distinguish between what is shit and what is good tv.

Where the eventual plot ends up is a more subjective nuanced discussion though even there I would argue it is piss poor but the execution of the episode post Dany death is god awful and you’d have to be a moron to not agree with that statement of fact.