Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
D& D getting a lot of shit for the ending but aren't all the main plot points what Martin thought up? Could the books end with a different ruler and fates for the main characters or will it be the same (but getting there slightly differently)?

meamth

D& D getting a lot of shit for the ending but aren't all the main plot points what Martin thought up? Could the books end with a different ruler and fates for the main characters or will it be the same (but getting there slightly differently)?
Your professor left you with key points for the upcoming final assignment.

But you failed using the key points.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
He probably doesn't even know himself how to end the story yet.

That being said if we assume the fate of the characters will definitely be the same the way will be extremely different, not just a bit. Also the characters can be completely different from what they are in the show despite sharing the same name - it's already true for some of them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That was so fecking shit oh my god :lol:

Fan fiction level writing combined with being hideously dull. What a combination to end Game of Thrones on.

edit: Just had a quick skim of the thread and I 100% agree with people saying it plummeted in quality after Dany died. Up till then the episode was excellent, the opening scene poignant, Tyrion was back to his best.

Then we got boring council meetings and everything wrapped up in a nice pretty pink bow in completely boring, anticlimactic style. As if Greyworm wouldn't kill Jon for feck sake.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
To my mind the big issue was less where the characters were at the end and more how the show got to that point, particularly from the moment Dany got killed.

That whole summit scene basically decided everything and it wasn't at all good.

Art Vandelay

The nosedive after Dany died is pretty similar to the nosedive after they ran out of book material.

That meeting to decide the new king, holy feck, none of it made any sense at all. It was like plot holes within plot holes. Why was Arya the master assassin who threatens to slit people's throats in front of audiences of powerful people even there? Why was bran there? Why is Sansa such a thundercnut?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They had 30 minutes or so left after Dany died, there wasn't any viable ending within that timeframe that would've been satisfactory.

They should've let the rest of the episode be about everyone finding out about Dany's death, and then another 1h+ episode about the implications and aftermath of her death. Regardless of where all characters ended up at the end, the way they got to that point could've been done a lot, lot better than this.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think the only debate to be had about that finale is which bit was the worst?

For me it was the Edmure scene. I felt genuine pain for the actor having to come back to shoot that, I'd have given them the middle finger.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
That moment during the council when the uncle tried to sit down but banged his sword and then Sansa said her catchphrase "oh uncle" followed by canned laughter.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
They had 30 minutes or so left after Dany died, there wasn't any viable ending within that timeframe that would've been satisfactory.

They should've let the rest of the episode be about everyone finding out about Dany's death, and then another 1h+ episode about the implications and aftermath of her death. Regardless of where all characters ended up at the end, the way they got to that point could've been done a lot, lot better than this.
Oh I don't know they could have maybe not spent 2 episodes jacking each other off in Winterfell and then maybe we'd have had one more episode left to properly try and end it.

That way maybe they could have gotten round to the scene where Ser Pounce climbs out of the ashes and is appointed Master of War.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why is a cutthroat with no education whatsoever Master of Coin.

Can he even count? Has he any experience whatsoever with finances, beyond spending it in a brothel?

This was the decision of all seeing and all knowing Broken Bran. All hail.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The ending should have just been Drogon going about burning every city in Westeros.

Everyone would have enjoyed that more.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
To be fair the North did save the realm at a huge sacrifice, so if there is one kingdom that deserved its independence it would be them. Obviously if the show was carrying it would likely show the issues that causes amongst the other kingdoms.

AgentP

Why is a cutthroat with no education whatsoever Master of Coin.

Can he even count? Has he any experience whatsoever with finances, beyond spending it in a brothel?

This was the decision of all seeing and all knowing Broken Bran. All hail.
:lol: Nothing makes sense at this point

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That wasn't half bad, to be honest. Not bad at all.

The problem is that the last three episodes have been so shit that I wonder if it's affecting what people think of the ending. All of the plot points feel satisfying to me, I just wish the story had been told better in the lead up to it. In isolation I think it's a pretty decent ending to the story.

RochaRoja

Which makes so little sense why Bran would tell Jon his true parentage if he then doesn't point out that Jon is the legitimate heir to the throne. I wouldn't go down this rabbit hole, it's not worth it.
Bran’s a cnut.

He’s been playing the long game for a couple of seasons now to get the throne. Revealed Jon’s parentage so that Dany goes mental and kills everyone and Jon has to off her.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't agree with the punishing of Jon but I like the rest.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Yeah I suspect the main points involving the Stark children, Tyrion and Daenerys probably will happen in the books. Main issue I have is the journey from D&D is appaling.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Bran is the most pointless character in the history of television.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I am just watching the episode right now.

At 56 minutes i just can't stop laughing :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:, literally the biggest laugh i've ever had watching GoT. After all what happened, Tyrion just said they decided to send Jon to the Nights Watch. I am in tears. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The only 'good' thing so far in this episode. I am not done yet though. But i feel sad already, but later more.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That wasn't half bad, to be honest. Not bad at all.

The problem is that the last three episodes have been so shit that I wonder if it's affecting what people think of the ending. All of the plot points feel satisfying to me, I just wish the story had been told better in the lead up to it. In isolation I think it's a pretty decent ending to the story.
No. It was absolute shit, in isolation or otherwise.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
And just ask Bran what is there to the west of Westeros. What's even the point of Bran if he cNt answer this
I think he can only see what the Old Gods (trees) see? Although there were probably no trees in the South when Ned rescued Lyanna.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Anyone else find it hilarious that Ser Davos suggested to the Unsullied they settle in empty lands and start their own house? A house they can’t populate because none of them have nuts.
:lol:

RochaRoja

1) How did Jon get away with killing Dany? Grey Worm would have killed him on the spot!
It would’ve been cooler if Greyworm and a bunch of unsullied came in the throne room and attacked Jon, with Drogon saving him and torching them before fecking off with Daenerys’s body.

That also solves problem number two.

RochaRoja

What's aryas story then? I thought she would go back to the faceless men.

But she's now Dora the explorer?
Arya’s faceless men connection is always overstated. It was always just a means to an end for her. I’m really glad you didn’t constantly have her swapping faces to murder people like everyone seemed to want.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I think he can only see what the Old Gods (trees) see? Although there were probably no trees in the South when Ned rescued Lyanna.
Yeah there were no tree inside the tower of joy when lyanna dies and tells Ned to protect her son. Plus there wasn't any tree inside the throne room when Baelish makes his 'Chaos is a ladder' speech. This seems to suggest that he can see across space and time

Ban

It was like, let's rush everything and and its a happy ending for everyone, everyone got their positions in power, except Jon who never wanted anything. It's like a nice story you'd read to your kids. They all lived happily ever after.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah there were no tree inside the tower of joy when lyanna dies and tells Ned to protect her son. Plus there wasn't any tree inside the throne room when Baelish makes his 'Chaos is a ladder' speech. This seems to suggest that he can see across space and time
He's a warg. He can also takeover the mind of animals - though I'm not sure if this works across time.

Irrational.

Came in here for the meltdown. Am not disappointed.

I liked the symmetry of the show. Disappointed that Bran was picked as the king. How did he get down to KL so quickly anyway? Jon and Gendry had a bigger shout for the crown - but Jon got what he deserved. He may be competent in battle but he has the brain of a wight. Grey Worm got annoying real quick. Arya becoming some kind of explorer was cheesy. What happened to Varys' letters from the last episode?

How was Jon allowed to enter the throne room and why didn't Dany have any guards? Same with Jon and Tyrion having the treasonous conversation with the privacy of being on some encrypted wifi connection.

Also, Jon Snow: Queen slayer or Queens Layer? :drool:

Irwin99

I read the leaks before the episode and to be honest, with the way the season has gone, they did better than expected considering how they'd written themselves into such a set up. Drogon or the unsullied not killing Jon was ridiculous and his plot armour is beyond Arya's at this point.

Absolutely fantastic direction and visuals though as always. The scenes with Drogon and Dany were brilliant. Alos loved the Jaime and Cersei reveal (and the later scene with his deeds being added to the book of Knights). Disappointing season overall, should have been much longer to set the conflicts up.

Jon Snow is such a bore.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I can forgive them for writing in the way they wish to tell the story but if you’re going to tell it in this way then please make sure the dialogue isn’t cringe and there aren’t pointless scenes to drag stuff out. They’ve claimed that these episodes are all movie specials but if you cut out the parts where they have 5 minutes of scene of walking up steps and slow candid camera shots of people staring into the distance it takes it down to the hour. I was constantly skipping bits in this and the start of the 5th episode as they just fecking drag scenes with no dialogue for no reason.