Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I probably imagined it at 3:30am in the morning, but I thought there was a puddle of blood on the floor after Drogon takes off? If not then np my mistake.
Jon could've just said it was her time of the month and used that as a reason for her blowing up the city.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So which spin offs are we going to see? The nailed on so far are:

Robin & Tormund: Breastfeeding Adventures
Ghost & Drogon: The Goodest Bois
The Chronicles of Arya: Flat Earth Explorer
The Hound Reborn: Got Chicken?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Will we see another sequel to Dumb and Dumber?

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool

Keep On Keepin' Jon: The tale of Jon Snow's decision to return to Krasters Keep to continue his legacy.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The worrying thing is that Drogon flew off with the dead body of Dany. What if he drops her near some magic tree or something and she becomes the night queen?
How long would it take Drogon to fly to Volantis? Would Dany have decomposed by then? Is Kinvara still there?

These are important questions!

Sylar

So all those looks bran was giving tyrion. They masterminded this didn't they and not just bran

Get rid of all enemies by using others. Act sad, but bran becomes king but can continue doing f all
Meanwhile tyrion actually is most powerful person. Chose bronn as master of coin so they can rebuild brothels and not make it look like tyrions idea so that he can die with wine and a girls mouth over his lil tyrion

Andersons Dietician

Was thinking so Drogon took off with Dani in claw so how was anyone really to know what Jon did. Then I remembered Jon is a complete Pleb and probably went and found Greyworm and told him in vivid detail what he had done and that Greyworm should probably kill him.

Next question how long did Arya wait outside the walls for Jon to come and find her.

starman

My thoughts so far after first 3 episodes of the final season

I am tad behind but what I have seen so far, I am quite disappointed. Firstly I never wanted to start watching the final season yet; I was going to save it for a month or so before starting as there are other things im watching and didn’t want to spoil the rhythm of them. BUT those feckers at Sky spoilt the outcome with the White Walkers, by running a trailer for what I believe is the 4th episode proclaiming Daenerys army had beat them in the previous episode….bunch of cnuts. I therefore started watching this week, and will be all caught up and will watch the final episode when it airs like everyone else to avoid it being spoilt. Upto that point I had done very well avoiding spoilers, but these idiots, aired the outcome within the first 2 seconds of the trailer before I could mute or change the channel! I swear they should put spoiler warnings, like you get warnings before party political broadcasts, and you can then choose if you want to watch that crap, should be the same for trailers…. Everything is just trying to spoil stuff for people nowadays….

Anyway, back to the show, and since it had past the point of the last book, you can tell the quality has dramatically dropped, the dialogue, the flow of the story and the pacing just seems off. Its a shame as the first 6 seasons were great, season 7th was decent, this has been the worst, albeit the most anticipated given end to season 7. I was disappointed when they first announced the show was ending after this season and that it was only 6 episodes long, I honestly thought they could have done two 10 episode seasons more, but I am pleased its ending now, as it’s an average show without the original source material to fall back on and would dramatically take a drop off in quality, even more if they did.

Having just finished the 3rd episode, it felt very Walking Dead-ish, and yes I know they were fighting the dead….but in terms of scene after scene of the near misses to fill out the episode, at the end of a scene it looks like someone important is going to die, they are getting charged by hundreds of wights, but nope, somehow they survive, but that bit isn’t shown….As for deaths its just minor characters or character you were expecting to die are only killed off, and everyone goes out nobly, none of the uniqueness of shock or harsh scenes like Ned or Rob deaths.

The John and the White Walker Dragon scene was terrible :lol:, where he jumps and scream in front of it and at that exact moment, the Night King is killed……oooooook….. After all that build over the seasons, this is what is come up with, this is the pay off? It was so anticlimactic , i really wasn’t expecting the White Walkers to get taken out so quickly, they built the whole the series about men fighting men, when they should be focusing on the real threat of the Whites Walkers, but by the looks of it, it seems like they were just a subplot to… men fighting men all along…:houllier:

The ending that i was building in my head when watching was there is going to be more is revealed about Bran in the 80 minutes episode (not just fight scenes being repeated), its not going to be a straight forward outcome like they discussed at the end of episode 2, of luring the Night King in hope they kill him, otherwise he will kill bran (would have been more interesting if that happened). The reveal I was thinking was Bran is the night king, and it was going to circle back to the first episode when Jamie, cowardly pushed him outside of the window and poetically if had killed him as a kid none of this would have happened. He was Azor Ahai along and would be realise when he welded Lightbringer and kills Bran/Night king with his one arm, and ends up being the hero, having been perceived as a villain for most of the show… ..But nope, Arya sneaks pass everyone and kills the Night king, Bran smiles…, and that’s that! Okie Dokie :rolleyes:

I am guessing from how things played out the Red Witch was the Night Queen and married to the Night King, who was also once a Targaryen King, as he was resistant to fire?
Another thing why does no one ever question Bran about his powers or what he does and how he knows the things he knows, he just says something and people look confused, and they just accept what he is saying, no questions or anything…..? completely shoddy writing.

The “Creators” are going to get a lot of work off the back of Game of Thrones (can see they are already lined up for the next Star Wars movie), but I am not very convinced they are actually all that great without great material behind them.
I am not sure if the ending will be the same as GRR Martins books, but think i read a few years back that he said only he knows the ending to the books and never told the show runners, so naturally the show will differ, I am not sure if this changed in that duration, but if it is the same I will be very disappointed with the way things are going. The way show runners are concluding things just seem a very unimagined take on the story, i was expecting to learn more about the white walkers and for them to have featured until the end. The stakes have gone, its just really now if you want Cersei to win or not, which I am leaning towards.

Anyway, maybe I am way off on what the general feeling and consensus is, and that people love it, but I am not reading anything, or opinions until Monday/Tuesday, I just opened this thread (first time in about a year), closed my eyes and scrolled to the bottom and wrote this, to get a few digressions off my chest, which could have been a lot more, but i've rambled more than enough….

I am logging off until the finale for anyone that might @ me in response...
Its interesting to be able to start to read everything from the last few months, having just finished the show and been on a social media and spoilers (tried to...) blackout, to now see the mass divide on the last season.

I will try not to go on a long ramble like my last post as its clear that most of the issues were that the whole thing was rushed which created so many inconsistencies and making everything feeling forced. No matter how good of a writer you maybe, there’s no getting around only having 6 episodes to wrap everything up!
With that said, any ending, even if they fleshed it out for 2 or 3 more seasons would still have disappointed some fans.
How it ended, i suppose I am content with, its just the getting there trying to squeeze everything in such a short space of time was just so disappointing, having flesh out the great content from the books to the TV screen and then to start watching the showrunners rushing and in the process butchering the last two seasons. Its actually a slap in the face to GRR Martin, given how very meticulous he is to have D&D just hacksaw the arc of the story at a break neck pace, its shameful.

Though having just finished the final 3 episodes (so a lot of thoughts are meshed together), the following scenes was beyond utterly stupid, being rushed for time is no excuse...
  • When Rhaegal died – He, Drogon and Daenerys are blissfully flying away, how do they not see the massive armada of enemy ships below given the vast vantage point they would have? :houllier:
  • The Missandei death scene - The way they set it up, why not just kill the last Dragon & Daenerys given they have the entire cities defence point at them. The code of war goes out of the window when you have a weapon of mass destruction at your disposal :rolleyes:
I did however think the Hound end scenes were great and out of all the characters, him & Theon probably got the best and most memorable send off to his character arc.

I wasn't digging on why the birth of democracy was laughed off, after everything that happened, although maybe a bit on the nose, that would have been the natural conclusion, "in breaking the wheel". And especially if Bran (Three Eyed Raven) was the one that suggested it, as he can see everything and it would have given meaning to his power, seeing the past and the future, instead of making it suggest him to be the silent, sadistic, lunatic that manipulated everyone to become the most powerful person in the whole of Westeros. The Keyser Sozer of the show. And in the process making everyone look a fool certifying him as King (Tyrion had gone full circle by then)
Anyway I have a feeling GRR Martin is keeping his cards close to his chest and has already written the books with multiple outcomes and gave one of outline to D&D and they just ran with it.

What i do not understand is why HBO allowed the show to end so abrupt, if they and Martin thought it should go 10 seasons, surely just replace the showrunners if they didnt want to stay on that long. Do they not own TV rights to the entirely GOT universe, given they have 5 possible shows lined up? If they have enlisted showrunners they think are good enough for those shows, let one of them end GOT for them, and allowing it to run its natural duration.

Its strange given how long Walking Dead is going on and simply wont die and theres also talks of it going on for a 10 more seasons, and that because its a cash cow. So for HBO to let it finish just like that, whist being the biggest TV show in the world because two people, who never actually created the thing got bored and wanted to do other things, its very peculiar.
I wonder how the cast & crew truly feel about it, I know some are defending it but it essentially cut short a few years of guaranteed work for them on the biggest show in the world when the demand was still there, if not at its highest.
Maybe one of the cast might go on to become full on movie stars but the two likely candidates, Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke (tbf her acting improved a lot in the last season) are not pulling up trees and have been humbled with pretty with bad reviews with whatever movies they have starred in so far. No one has outgrown the show. I am sure everyone would have jumped at the extra work.

With regards to petitions or what not, its over, people just have to accept it.. My feelings towards the show is mirroring to that ive towards United right now, very sombre:(. Also like how I feel towards LOTRs (something I cherished at the time aswell), which I always intended to watch the trilogy again someday (almost 17 years on now), but after seeing the Hobbit only a few years ago, my interest has dulled. It will happen though, just like I will watch the Game of Thrones again, might take a while to heal and initial disappointment to fade though. And maybe instead use the end of season 7 as the finale, with the Night King going onto ice them all ;)

Last edited:

Sylar

What i do not understand is why HBO allowed the show to end so abrupt, if they and Martin thought it should go 10 seasons, surely just replace the showrunners if they didnt want to stay on that long. Do they not own TV rights to the entirely GOT universe, given they have 5 possible shows lined up? If they have enlisted showrunners they think are good enough for those shows, let one of them end GOT for them, and allowing it to run its natural duration.
Yeah, I dont get this. Ive read things like D&D own it, but that cant be right... right?
Maybe HBO trusted they were doing what was best and took their word? haha
I dont know. Its odd, cos unless they lied, im sure I read HBO saying they had budget if needed there and wanted more episodes.

Was there even an inside the episode for ep6? Thats a bit mad.

starman

Yeah, I dont get this. Ive read things like D&D own it, but that cant be right... right?
Maybe HBO trusted they were doing what was best and took their word? haha
I dont know. Its odd, cos unless they lied, im sure I read HBO saying they had budget if needed there and wanted more episodes.

Was there even an inside the episode for ep6? Thats a bit mad.
From some quick research it seems like HBO trusted their vision...though should have trusted the actual "creator" in GRR Martin

When George R.R. Martin suggested that ten seasons of the HBO series were necessary to tell his entire story, and HBO agreed. “We started this journey with David and Dan. It’s their vision. Would I love the show to go 10 years as both a fan and a network executive? Absolutely,” said HBO programming president Michael Lombardo.

And the thing is, HBO really wanted ten seasons, which — in 2015 — felt kind of unnecessary given the fact that Dany had spent much of her time walking around. But it might have been nice while Dany was doing all that walking around to foreshadow some Mad Queen tendencies. At any rate, HBO made a plan to sit down with Weiss and Benioff to discuss the future of the series, and they went into the conversation thinking, “If they weren’t comfortable going beyond seven seasons, I trust them implicitly and trust that’s the right decision—as horrifying as that is to me. What I’m not going to do is have a show continue past where the creators believe where they feel they’ve finished with the story.

At the time, Weiss and Benioff were insistent that they were not going to do more than seven seasons. And apparently, there was some conversation of continuing the series with new showrunners, which I suspect may have been the leverage HBO used to convince Weiss and Benioff to create a six-episode eighth season to wrap it all up with them at the helm, lest HBO replace them (Martin himself, at the time, suggested a feature film was necessary to wrap it all up).

In other words, Weiss and Benioff only begrudgingly took on the eighth season and that begrudgingness shows. It feels like they’d already checked out, and started pitching Confederacy, which drew immediate backlash from the Internet. While HBO initially had Weiss and Benioff’s back, the network quietly abandoned the project I assume in the midst of Weiss and Benioff writing the final season of GoT. It may have engendered bad feelings, on top of HBO’s possible strong-arm tactics to get Benioff and Weiss to extend another season.

Add to that the fact that Benioff and Weiss were tapped to guide the next Star Wars trilogy in early 2018, which probably took focus away from shooting the final season. All of which is to say: The attention of Weiss and Benioff may have been divided while they were writing a shortened final eighth season they didn’t want to write for a series that needed 10 full seasons and a movie to properly wrap up and Weiss and Benioff may have also felt a little betrayed by HBO because it didn’t fully support their terrible idea of a show about an alt-history in which the South won the Civil War and were also looking ahead to Star Wars, all of which resulted in this half-assed, haphazard, too-short final season of Game of Thrones.

Reddy Rederson

A change I might have made to the ending.

arya and the hound spilt up just as in the show. Cersei stumbles past the hound and finds herself under the keep with the walls coming down. Then Jamie appears, they embrace, she bleats on about loving him and sorry for everything. They hear voices and fighting and run down the path Tyrion had laid out. He leads her out past the the rubble and the dead. Greyjoy is still on the beach, dead with a smile on his face. They get into the dingy and they both row away taking a side each. They row past the burning fleet. They take a break from rowing, Cersei moving into the Jamie’s arms leaning against his chest as they both look on the destruction of kings landing from a distance. Cersei begins to talk about the future. A second chance with their new baby. About getting revenge. She lays it all out in great sadistic detail with a far away look in her eye. Her eyes go wide as she feels the blade glide across her throat. She gurgles and spurts blood as she turns her head to look at Jamie. Her expression asks why, jamie tells her. “For my brother, for my mother, and for my father, Ned Stark.” And then plunges the dagger into Cersei’s heart.

My reasons are I haven’t seen anything from Arya that says she would just give up her quest. Especially not after one very short conversation. Maybe if they had fleshed out Arya and the hounds journey south were he had been planting seeds of doubt the whole way, but that would have required more episodes.

Sylar

Wow @starman

So they wanted to do 7 seasons, which is even less than what we got. (which wold have been a 10 episode s7 meaning, 3 episodes less to wrap it up)
They wanted to do another HBO show (which sounds terrible).
The big thing here is:

"What I’m not going to do is have a show continue past where the creators"
Creators is stretching it. Adapters probably more apt given the actual creator is saying 3 more seasons.

So what everybody has said could / would have worked with
's7 and s8' being about Dany crossing sea, fighting NK and having issues in Westeros'
's9 continuing that with her war with Cersei'
's10 fallout of her turning Mad leading to her demise'

Looks like actresses for Arya and Cersei wanted a scene together too. Bran actor thought it was a parody the way it was ending. Its a shame for the actors the way some of the stories were told. They could have still lead to the same ending. HBO probably thought, the ending would be fine and they can capitalise with spin-offs.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
This is my favourite meme that i've seen on the interwebs so far (apologies if it's already been posted in here)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Wow @starman

So they wanted to do 7 seasons, which is even less than what we got. (which wold have been a 10 episode s7 meaning, 3 episodes less to wrap it up)
They wanted to do another HBO show (which sounds terrible).
The big thing here is:

"What I’m not going to do is have a show continue past where the creators"
Creators is stretching it. Adapters probably more apt given the actual creator is saying 3 more seasons.

So what everybody has said could / would have worked with
's7 and s8' being about Dany crossing sea, fighting NK and having issues in Westeros'
's9 continuing that with her war with Cersei'
's10 fallout of her turning Mad leading to her demise'

Looks like actresses for Arya and Cersei wanted a scene together too. Bran actor thought it was a parody the way it was ending. Its a shame for the actors the way some of the stories were told. They could have still lead to the same ending. HBO probably thought, the ending would be fine and they can capitalise with spin-offs.

Clarke has said she wanted more scenes with Headey as well and doesn't think they developed that relationship enough. She's obviously not going to criticise the writers so soon after the show, but if you read a little in to her comments it's pretty clear she thinks it was rushed and that they didn't give her enough scenes to properly develop the 'Mad Queen' shit towards the end.

I think in a year or so when the dust has settled a lot of the actors/actresses will outright criticise the writing of the final season. There's already a few murmurs and comments like the actor for Bran thinking it was a parody, but obviously they'll be holding back for personal reasons and will be remaining pretty quiet.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Clarke has said she wanted more scenes with Headey as well and doesn't think they developed that relationship enough. She's obviously not going to criticise the writers so soon after the show, but if you read a little in to her comments it's pretty clear she thinks it was rushed and that they didn't give her enough scenes to properly develop the 'Mad Queen' shit towards the end.

I think in a year or so when the dust has settled a lot of the actors/actresses will outright criticise the writing of the final season. There's already a few murmurs and comments like the actor for Bran thinking it was a parody, but obviously they'll be holding back for personal reasons and will be remaining pretty quiet.
She could have done with more scenes with Missandei to be honest... i don't think they've had a conversation with each other in like 2 seasons.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
They didn't even need ten seasons. Six episodes for the Night King and six episodes for the throne would've been fine.

Halftrack

Also, what was the point of him venturing beyond the wall?
The show made it pretty clear why he went there. He was having weird, prophetic dreams , some which included a three-eyed raven. He tried killing it in a dream, but was told by a boy that he couldn't kill the raven because he was the raven. Later he meets that boy, who turns out to be Jojen. Jojen is a greenseer, who has visions and stuff, and his visions tells him Bran is going to become the new TER. For this to happen, they need to venture beyond the wall, because that's where the current TER lives.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The show made it pretty clear why he went there. He was having weird, prophetic dreams , some which included a three-eyed raven. He tried killing it in a dream, but was told by a boy that he couldn't kill the raven because he was the raven. Later he meets that boy, who turns out to be Jojen. Jojen is a greenseer, who has visions and stuff, and his visions tells him Bran is going to become the new TER. For this to happen, they need to venture beyond the wall, because that's where the current TER lives.
It was tongue in cheek as he ended up being quite useless.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Well yeah but none of it ended up having a pay-off. He did nothing to defeat the NK and just basically...sat there, flying around in a raven.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I started reading the books after season 5 after seeing Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei for years and then reading that Missandei is only 10-11 in the books was fecking weird.
Exactly the same :lol: Managed to block it from my memory that she’s supposed to be a child. Tbf lots of main characters are a lot younger in the books.

Fully Fledged

Exactly the same :lol: Managed to block it from my memory that she’s supposed to be a child. Tbf lots of main characters are a lot younger in the books.
That was one of the main reasons I wouldn't read the books and never will. I started the first one read the scenes with a 13 year old Dany and put it down.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Urgh, this shit is currently sitting on 50k upvotes on Reddit. I get that alot of people are pissed off with the last couple seasons, I certainly am, but dumb lazy posts like this getting so many supporters are a big problem.

I didn't think it was possible think less of a story than D&D have done, and then I saw this. Naturally the echo chamber are downvoting anyone that says this is a bad idea and two whole seasons of just The Night King and a whole season dedicated to the war with Cersei would need endless filler.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Urgh, this shit is currently sitting on 50k upvotes on Reddit. I get that alot of people are pissed off with the last couple seasons, I certainly am, but dumb lazy posts like this getting so many supporters are a big problem.

I didn't think it was possible think less of a story than D&D have done, and then I saw this. Naturally the echo chamber are downvoting anyone that says this is a bad idea and two whole seasons of just The Night King and a whole season dedicated to the war with Cersei would need endless filler.
I think 10 would've been too much but that's still probably a better timeline than wedging the Night King, Cersei and Dany's downfalls into 3/4 episodes.

Maybe a shortened season 8 dealing with the Night King (6/7 episodes) and then 7/8 episode season 9 determining the throne with episode 4 being the sack of King's Landing and then you have 3/4 episodes to flesh out her madness/tyranny a little more.