Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Dante

Average bang
So im guessing the reason brienne Sam gendry, smaller main characters, weren't killed in the nk battle was because they wanted them to be on the new council as the last of their house?
Lots of smaller main characters have died.

If you work your way backwards from the ending, of course some people are going to be the last to survive.

That's how stories work. They focus on the ones who will be there at the beginning, middle and end.

Bobski

How long before we hear serious talk of a reboot? 10 years? If Martin shocks us all and finishes the damn series that could provide the push for a new version.

Pure speculation, and it won't happen, idly I would hope they would learn from the failures of this show, make it more of a character lead project rather than one driven by key events. From Season 3 onward It always felt like a greatest hits version of ASOIAF, rushing to the key scenes without the character development that would make those scenes as powerful as they could be, weak versions of Dany, Jon, Stannis among others.

Massive commercial and cultural success, but artistically, a lot of wasted potential. It could have been much better than it was.

Sylar

I cant see a reboot for a long time. As shaky as the last two seasons were, the rest was pretty much awesome.

If anything, would have to be 25+ years like BSG.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I cant see a reboot for a long time. As shaky as the last two seasons were, the rest was pretty much awesome.

If anything, would have to be 25+ years like BSG.
Suicide Squad is getting a reboot after 2 years.

Game of Thrones, 2021. We go again. This does not slip now.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Rebooting Game of fecking Thrones :lol:

Some of you need to rewatch the first 6 seasons.
I think it may be possible, when/if the book series will have been finished. That's at least 10 years by itself, maybe 20, if we assume GRRM dies first and someone else will finish the last book(s) for him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't know if Thrones will get a "reboot" per se, however I could see a sister series in the distant future which is pretty true to the books. A bit like what Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood did.

starman

I can't see them doing a reboot just for the sake of it. Redoing something that was near perfect for 60% of it (still pretty good for 80%) with all new casting, massive productions, trying to reproduce the same magic of the show for basically just telling the same story for the most part would be counter productive for a TV network to spend their money on.
It would be better off if they used it exploring new stories in the rest of the GOT universe.

I can see them do a animated one however (highly realistic version) in 10 years or so when or if the rest of the books are finally out. They could then do a definitive version, and include missing stories/characters like Ladystone heart, Reeds, Sands etc.They will also be able to use the same cast for which the characters are enshrined with, well, maybe make a few changes...

Last edited:

Reiver

I think it may be possible, when/if the book series will have been finished. That's at least 10 years by itself, maybe 20, if we assume GRRM dies first and someone else will finish the last book(s) for him.
Can't see either happening. TV wise we'll probably end up with a shed load of spinoffs but no reboot - everybody complaining about GoT's ending will still watch them. Think GRRM has already said if he doesn't finish the books nobody else will.

Zen86

No chance will there be a reboot :lol:

GoT reached the popularity it did by being unpredictable and having those shock moments. It’s already been done.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nobody with even half a brain would have any interest in remaking GOT. Some nerds need to move on.

Sylar

Suicide Squad is getting a reboot after 2 years.

Game of Thrones, 2021. We go again. This does not slip now.
Guess they should reboot breaking bad and wire too
But as cartoons
Easier to film

sherrinford

How long before we hear serious talk of a reboot? 10 years? If Martin shocks us all and finishes the damn series that could provide the push for a new version.

Pure speculation, and it won't happen, idly I would hope they would learn from the failures of this show, make it more of a character lead project rather than one driven by key events. From Season 3 onward It always felt like a greatest hits version of ASOIAF, rushing to the key scenes without the character development that would make those scenes as powerful as they could be, weak versions of Dany, Jon, Stannis among others.

Massive commercial and cultural success, but artistically, a lot of wasted potential. It could have been much better than it was.
It could have ended much better than it did, but on the whole it is surely one of the best shows ever and, artistically, was an absolute triumph.

Irwin99

Years since I read the books but I was always disappointed that the show never showed Jamie's reaction when he finds out Cersei has been sleeping with Lancel. In the books, if i remember correctly, he's absolutely disgusted by it but does later forgive Lancel.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It will never be rebooted, but hopefully all the prequels/spin offs get competent writers able to craft sensible and interesting material.

They need to move as far away from the illogical, inconsistent, hollywood nonsense D&D ended up writing as they possibly can.

Hopefully GRRM has a serious hand in the prequels, as he did early on in Game of Thrones.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It could have ended much better than it did, but on the whole it is surely one of the best shows ever and, artistically, was an absolute triumph.
There are so many genuinely good shows out there with strong writing from start to finish, that I would never describe GoT as a whole as one of the best shows ever. What was consistently outstanding were the visuals.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is there still a prequel in the pipeline for the Night King and White Walkers? Because honestly I don’t care one bit now we know how irrelevant they become.

sherrinford

There are so many genuinely good shows out there with strong writing from start to finish, that I would never describe GoT as a whole as one of the best shows ever. What was consistently outstanding were the visuals.
Could you list them? If the number of shows genuinely as good or better, and of consistent quality from start to finish, are plentiful then I’ve missed out.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Thrones won't be rebooted you crazy fools.
Is there still a prequel in the pipeline for the Night King and White Walkers? Because honestly I don’t care one bit now we know how irrelevant they become.
Yeah it's apparently set 5,000 years before. The ending of the WW threat was a sack of shit, but I'm interested to learn more about their backstory so I'll definitely give it a watch.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Could you list them? If the number of shows genuinely as good or better, and of consistent quality from start to finish, are plentiful then I’ve missed out.
The Wire
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
Mad Men

Are the ones that come to mind instantly.

BlueHaze

I have never watched a single episode of this in my life. However one time while switching channels i stumbled upon the show and briefly wittnesed some cute swedish looking girl getting railed by someone who looked like "The Great Khali" from WWE...

Bobski

What is this reboot nonsense :lol:. People actually believing you can get a do over for a show like this one ?
Idle speculation on my part. How much money have HBO made out of it? Cost a lot to make, could see it coming up in some executive discussions at some point if the financial potential is there.

Spins off will saturate the market for a start.

sherrinford

The Wire
Breaking Bad
The Sopranos
Mad Men

Are the ones that come to mind instantly.
The first three are the obvious ones. Breaking Bad is the best show I have seen, but I’ve seen three seasons of The Sopranos and I wouldn’t say it’s better than Game of Thrones though it is brilliant. I haven’t seen the Wire or Mad Men (yet I have both readily available both on DVD and streaming services!).

I would just expect there to be more shows that spring to mind as being of a higher standard if Game of Thrones really was that far behind these shows.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I think they should reboot The Wire, so they can re-cast the red-headed lawyer with Christina Hendricks. Maybe McNulty with someone who can do a better local accent.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The first three are the obvious ones. Breaking Bad is the best show I have seen, but I’ve seen three seasons of The Sopranos and I wouldn’t say it’s better than Game of Thrones though it is brilliant. I haven’t seen the Wire or Mad Men (yet I have both readily available both on DVD and streaming services!).

I would just expect there to be more shows that spring to mind as being of a higher standard if Game of Thrones really was that far behind these shows.
I don't see how the writing in the Sopranos was ever close to being as stupid as the final seasons of GoT. There are other shows I would put ahead of GoT as well (Twink Peaks, Deadwood, The Shield, Fargo for example), but the consensus on them isn't as wide as the four mentioned previously.
The briliant thing about GoT is their budget and the books, but I think there's more to a top tier show.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I don't see how the writing in the Sopranos was ever close to being as stupid as the final seasons of GoT. There are other shows I would put ahead of GoT as well (Twink Peaks, Deadwood, The Shield, Fargo for example), but the consensus on them isn't as wide as the four mentioned previously.
The briliant thing about GoT is their budget and the books, but I think there's more to a top tier show.
Man that typo changes everything :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

In fairness, many seasons of GoT are definitely top tier. Excellent, intelligent dialogue with genuine consequences for characters who make poor decisions, and an ever shifting plot which kept people buzzing about what would happen next. It was fantasy (which I think makes some people dismiss a show from the top tier) but it had a lot of adult themes and didn't feel like your average fantasy fare.

The later seasons reversed that entirely and pretty much with every fantasy trope, with heroes making terrible decisions constantly but getting away with it due to plot armour, and a bigger emphasis on large set pieces than on solid dialogue. Those are the seasons which take it away from the top tier I think. SS7 & S8 in particular are nowhere near the best in terms of writing, though they are still good popcorn fodder due to the budget and some seriously talented people working on other aspects (effects, music etc).

For me if you took GoT in isolation from S1 through to S6 (some would say you stop at 5 or 6 but I still think those two seasons hold up) then it's top five and you could make an argument for it being the best show of all time when all things are considered. It's still top ten for me even with S7/S8 but definitely drops out of the reckoning for best ever due to the very limp finish.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In fairness, many seasons of GoT are definitely top tier. Excellent, intelligent dialogue with genuine consequences for characters who make poor decisions, and an ever shifting plot which kept people buzzing about what would happen next. It was fantasy (which I think makes some people dismiss a show from the top tier) but it had a lot of adult themes and didn't feel like your average fantasy fare.

The later seasons reversed that entirely and pretty much with every fantasy trope, with heroes making terrible decisions constantly but getting away with it due to plot armour, and a bigger emphasis on large set pieces than on solid dialogue. Those are the seasons which take it away from the top tier I think. SS7 & S8 in particular are nowhere near the best in terms of writing, though they are still good popcorn fodder due to the budget and some seriously talented people working on other aspects (effects, music etc).

For me if you took GoT in isolation from S1 through to S6 (some would say you stop at 5 or 6 but I still think those two seasons hold up) then it's top five and you could make an argument for it being the best show of all time when all things are considered. It's still top ten for me even with S7/S8 but definitely drops out of the reckoning for best ever due to the very limp finish.
Personally I will always prefer shows that "don't" rely on shock effects and action scenes, but otherwise I completely agree with your post.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I will always prefer shows that "don't" rely on shock effects and action scenes, but otherwise I completely agree with your post.
Aye, but the shocks made sense. They weren't random like D&D's ' SUBVERT EXPECTATIONS!!' bullshit in s7/s8, it was characters making bad decisions and suffering the consequence of those decisions rather than being protected by plot armour like in other shows, especially fantasy.

Moby

Dick
Breaking Bad is the best show I have seen
People moaned about the machine gun ending then as well.

This whole outrage will also die down and eventually GoT will be rated among the best shows of all time due to the sheer quality of the first 4 seasons. That is absolutely top class television and the bad end shouldn't take the credit away from that. It isn't just because it was books script, but the acting, dialogue - loads of which was written aside from the books, cinematography, etc everything was top tier.

Pretty similar with most other well rated shows. Breaking Bad itself had some pretty rubbish scripts but pulled through in the end with masterpieces like Ozymandias etc. For me if you look at the peaks then GoT is definitely up there and the peak was for a good 4 seasons with the level hardly ever dropping.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Problem with GoT is that season one is the best season. 2 to 4 are still great but not as good. It becomes really apparent on rewatch that as you progress through it it gets worse and worse.

Dante

Average bang
The beginning, middle and end of the series have different paces and focuses. Deal with it.

The Bran election epilogue was pretty bad. But other than that, the final episode was good.