Television Game of Thrones (TV) • The watch has ended

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
For 1-3 were slow burning but engaging throughout because of strong characters and events.

4 was just an incredible rollercoaster.

5 was a little hacky in Dorne but still interesting everywhere else and introduced the High Sparrow, cranking the political intrigue up a notch. It also gave us the first real look at the Night King.

6 should've been the peak of the action oriented stuff. It still had characters acting like characters.

7 decided that the action in 6 wasn't enough and dove further into firey explosions and felt rushed. Characters started doing things that were out of place for the sake of pushing a narrative. It created the illusion of intrigue.

8 was just a fecking mess. It became like a Transformers movie with shit jokes and flashing lights.

Basically, they shot their load with the last two episodes of Season 6 with regards to spectacle, and decided to just make episodes that would create reaction videos on YouTube. I just hate how much of a sour taste it leaves in the mouth after the initial surprise has vanished. There's nothing to reflect on after the shocking moments like the earlier seasons, where you would watch them back and start to notice the warning signs of what was to come.

lsd

The Oracle
People talking about how bad a show is not a good look for the show .

Ypu can't come up with the excuse of well if everyone is talking about it then it must be worthwhile if the vast majority are only talking about it because it turned so crap it will always be hard to understand just what the creators were thinking at the end if they were thinking at all

Sylar

But it hasnt disappeared out of peoples minds which is what it was stated as initially. As that isnt the case, @robinamicrowave is correct.

Now that Digital Spy poll is obviously complete bollocks because there's no way GoT is the best TV show of the last 20 years,
Ive been thinking about it, and for me it probably is. I mean since 2000 im thinking about shows which might be better (that ive seen)
Shield, Wire, Breaking Bad didnt have the amazing drop off that GoT had. But I really think GoT had the highest peak of the shows and thats for 6 seasons. You could even include season 7 minus the episode they go north of north (as the moneytrain episode was just fantastic and the season finale was a lot of fun too).

Depends on preference of course and whether youre going for overall quality (or which had higher quality consistently and not worried about the drop at the end).

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Ive been thinking about it, and for me it probably is. I mean since 2000 im thinking about shows which might be better (that ive seen)
Shield, Wire, Breaking Bad didnt have the amazing drop off that GoT had. But I really think GoT had the highest peak of the shows and thats for 6 seasons. You could even include season 7 minus the episode they go north of north (as the moneytrain episode was just fantastic and the season finale was a lot of fun too).

Depends on preference of course and whether youre going for overall quality (or which had higher quality consistently and not worried about the drop at the end).
I don't think it can be disputed that it was the biggest and most popular show of the century thus far, except maybe for Lost. But even then, Lost wasn't pirated to the extent that Game of Thrones was. Internationally, I remember seeing that season 7's episodes were downloaded more than a billion times in total (so, roughly 150m illegal downloads per episode), and those download figures were always consistently high, even during the early days where it was popular on HBO but not a worldwide phenomenon. If we're talking about event television (where battle episodes are like cup finals, and the weeks in between episodes are full of feverish excitement and anticipation) then I don't think GoT has any rival for this century. But in terms of quality, eh...

This goes on a bit so I'll spoiler. :lol:

You know GoT is my favourite TV show (except maybe for The Simpsons golden age) and that I'll defend the later seasons on here, but the likes of Mad Men, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Hannibal, The Sopranos, The Leftovers, Deadwood, The Handmaid's Tale, The West Wing, and even shows like Orange is the New Black, have strong cases to be considered "better quality". Love the show as I do, I think there's been a wee bit of revisionism about the first 4-6 seasons, which were full of plot problems and contrivances - they were just overlooked, either because it was GRRM's vision or because it was building towards something. Seasons 1-6 pulled stunts that seasons 7 & 8 would have been destroyed for, but they're looked back on as this super-clever, super-serious, super-nuanced, super-airtight story, when it was never that?

To me it was always campy and soapy, always full of contrivances, always more about set-up and pay-off, always about being transgressive and provocative, always about setting up moments rather than meticulously weaving a beautiful path towards them. Of course, those soap-opera elements and contrivances got louder and louder (and in some cases, more ridiculous) towards the end. It became so dedicated to delivering moments that it compressed too many into shorter spaces, which meant it became too plot-heavy and lost portions of the elegance it did have. But maybe that's why I found it easier to tolerate as the show gradually changed? I never loved GoT because I expected super-prestige, character-focused, super-artful drama that Mad Men, Better Call Saul, etc. went for, I loved it because it was pulpy, sexy, exciting, provocative, and really melodramatic. "Tits and dragons", you might say, if you were being uncharitable.

Its true strengths were always either technical (how immersive the world was, how impressive the battles and dragons looked), linked to the source material (the richness of the world and the characters, the danger of daring to love the characters), or setting up, and then delivering, massive spectacles - even small-scale events like Ned's death or the Red Wedding were treated with all the overblown drama of something like Battle of the Bastards or The Long Night. That's not to say the dialogue of the first 4/5 seasons didn't have me round its finger, and that's not to say that it lost some of its subtlety, incisiveness, and intrigue as it went along, but a perfect prestige TV show it never was. It was a horny fantasy melodrama hidden inside something that only appeared to be cleverer and more ruthless than it actually was.

Sylar

Who could have guessed eh?
Ha.

@robinamicrowave For me the first four seasons had great characters, dialogue, plot. Season 5 dialogue and plot suffered once we went to Dorne (but outside of that it was still enjoyable). S6 had great moments and spectacles but still some strong characters and probably the last villain you wanted to see suffer. S7 changed direction, but the dialogue was suffering. And characters were doing stupid things that just didnt make sense. I mean people argue about Jon Snow in s6 BoB, but I think it fit with what he was and how he was after coming back from death. But his character amongst others became a parody of themselves for the convenience of plot whereas before it seemed plot was being driven by the characters action and nonaction.

But the highs of GoT for me, was higher than any other shows. Not just the spectacles but the intrigue behind mystery's (eg what is up with NK, what is up with the raven following Bran in his dreams, what is the story behind Jons parentage, who is the chosen one, when will Dany finally arrive with her amassed army and dragons, what will happen when the dragons take on the army of the dead, etc).

All of that seemed to just be wiped so they could finish it which will always be the disappointment, but the journey up until then was just magnificent. Not just as event TV but as a show itself with intrigue, plot, mystery and characters who were all driven with their own motives (and werent just the typical good guy/badguy).

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
@robinamicrowave For me the first four seasons had great characters, dialogue, plot. Season 5 dialogue and plot suffered once we went to Dorne (but outside of that it was still enjoyable). S6 had great moments and spectacles but still some strong characters and probably the last villain you wanted to see suffer. S7 changed direction, but the dialogue was suffering. And characters were doing stupid things that just didnt make sense. I mean people argue about Jon Snow in s6 BoB, but I think it fit with what he was and how he was after coming back from death. But his character amongst others became a parody of themselves for the convenience of plot whereas before it seemed plot was being driven by the characters action and nonaction.

But the highs of GoT for me, was higher than any other shows. Not just the spectacles but the intrigue behind mystery's (eg what is up with NK, what is up with the raven following Bran in his dreams, what is the story behind Jons parentage, who is the chosen one, when will Dany finally arrive with her amassed army and dragons, what will happen when the dragons take on the army of the dead, etc).

All of that seemed to just be wiped so they could finish it which will always be the disappointment, but the journey up until then was just magnificent. Not just as event TV but as a show itself with intrigue, plot, mystery and characters who were all driven with their own motives (and werent just the typical good guy/badguy).
I think I've said this on here before, maybe I haven't, but all of the mysteries being wiped out against that backdrop of total depravity and raw destruction was precisely what I enjoyed so much about the end. It wasn't the ending I wanted or expected, even midway through the season, but I think it was the ending I needed. I was fully expecting the final boss to be the Night King and for Daenerys to reluctantly ascend to the throne when the dust had settled, maybe with Jon dead, or something. When it all went down the way it did, I enjoyed it in the moment but I wasn't sure how much I'd appreciate what they did once it was all over. But as time went on, and as I re-watched it, I came to love the ideas in season 8 and appreciate the guts it took to take the story in the direction they did - whether it's GRRM's own ending or not, I'm not sure we'll ever know and I'm not sure it matters either, I think the ideas on paper were excellent.

As time has gone on, I've also spoken to people from all over the GOT spectrum. People who love all 8 seasons and think they're flawless, people who love the show but hate the ending, people who love season 8 but aren't so keen on some earlier seasons, etc. All sorts of opinions and thoughts. And I've come to understand just why so many people were pissed off as opposed to just being disappointed (not that I didn't get it in the first place, I've just had very long and calm conversations about it now). And, honestly, I think it's made me more comfortable with being in the group of people who took a lot out of the ending. I liked the decision to have most of the fantasy mysteries and theories "mean nothing", because after it was all over I found myself thinking it was the right way to go, thematically at least. Making such a big decision to pull that massive rug in such a small room was misguided, but I think, for people who found they were on board with what D&D tried to say with the finale, compressing ten episodes' worth of story into six was more of an unfortunate flaw than a fatal mistake?

I loved where everything ended up, to be honest. Daenerys unable to overcome her demons, Bran as "king", Jon exiled in disgrace, Sansa leading the North, Arya off exploring, Cersei crushed by the symbol of her greed, Jaime killed by his love for Cersei, the Iron Throne destroyed, The Hound following revenge to his grave, Tyrion not being allowed to simply retire after destabilising an entire region's future, etc. I can forgive the clunky steps they took to get there because where we ended up really made sense to me and I was fully on board with the ideas and conclusions by the end.

But for people who weren't on board with what D&D tried to say with the finale, they were given about four episodes to process it all, and that's not really enough. I've never subscribed to the theory that they rushed they ending to go off and do Star Wars because the decision to shorten seasons 7 & 8 was made way before they were involved with Disney. And I'm not sure they'd have taken three years to make 13 episodes when they could have fecked off after season 6 and left it to someone else. But I do subscribe to the theory that they either lost confidence - or lost interest - in being able to provide the little details that would have given people more space to digest it all. Like, more scenes wouldn't have hurt. Just as an example, The Hound & Arya's final scene, where he convinces her to turn back, is so tender, but they had the whole ride to King's Landing to talk about it first! Just one more scene with them discussing revenge, it would have filled in a little gap and made it all the sweeter. Or like, Jon's decision to kill Dany - just one more scene beforehand to show him grappling with the decision, maybe with Arya or something, and they'd have nailed it. Instead what you get is a good scene that performs its function but doesn't really reach a higher emotional plane.

But like, I think the early seasons were bogged down by that kind of stuff too, just less so. You don't get anything like Euron turning up out of nowhere to kill a dragon (ha, man, what a bad scene) in the first 4-6 seasons. But what you do get is some horrendous writing when it comes to some of the less prominent female characters; characters - especially Robb and Ned - making really dumb decisions that D&D would have been slaughtered for if they'd come up with them in later seasons; Tyrion always escaping with his life in pretty contrived ways because the writers knew they couldn't kill him; four seasons of wildlings coming south to get through the Wall being ended by "Drop the scythe, boys!" and deus-ex Stannis; people complain about the battle tactics of The Long Night but never bring up that the Night's Watch should have had scouts to spot the wildlings attacking from the south at Castle Black, or that Stannis should have had scouts to see Tywin's army arriving to win at Blackwater. But, like, that's precisely why I watched the show. For the dumb, pulpy shit that made it more exciting. If a plot has to bend one way or the other to wrap something up or make something more interesting then, like, go for it? Sure, it isn't on the levels of the elegant dramas people bring up all the time, but to pretend GoT was ever on that level in terms of "quality" is revisionism, imo.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I think I enjoyed it all tbh, apart from the very end but that's probably because I had a different ending in mind.

I'd quite easily watch it all again.

It's not as bad as people make out imo, it's just cool to be a miserable grumpy bastard.

If the quality dropped off that badly after S4/5 why did everyone keep watching it? People normally give TV shows up if they become that shjt. It was still a fun watch. I got over the storylines becoming less and it being more action, I still couldn't wait to watch the next episode.

I agree it ended up being rushed and they could have done a lot more, but it was a great ride for the most part. Even the final leaving me a bit pissed off has gone now, still one of the best TV shows ever for me. The way it gripped me from the start to finish.

Don't know if I'm remembering it different than it was but meh, my world doesn't revolve around TV shows so if they're not perfect I ain't gonna moan and cry about it for the rest of my life, it was me who chose to watch and use my time in that way.

Fully Fledged

The episode itself was wonderfully produced, one of the most incredible bits of TV I can remember.

As part of a broader story though, it was a bit of a disappointment along with the rest of season 8, and probably season 7 as well.
It was season 7 when they had people travelling thousands of miles in the blink of an eye that I realised that continuity had gone out the window. They also started to develop story lines that didn't make sense like the travelling north and losing a dragon just to give the Night King a method of breaching the wall. I realised then that we had moved from a story driven spectacle to an action driven one.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I wasn't really bothered about a lot of the last two series it's still good tv. It's just the final character arcs should have been so much better and they totally wasted the Night King ascpect they built up for so long.

I honestly don't think it is a stretch to admit that fans wherever they are from could have come up with better endings for many of the characters.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
For me its quite clear the show runners only really liked the first 3 books and lost interest after they televised the red wedding.
I have some sympathy with them there. I really enjoy book 4 and 5, but they’re a lot more bloated than the preceding books. I think they have some of the best writing and definitely embody a lot of the themes that are important to Martin, but I don’t think the show could have followed the same path without having to add a lot of hours and characters to what was already a massive production.

They definitely strayed away from what made the books so appealing though, and by extension the show. The nuance just evaporated. Characters ended up becoming fairly broad strokes of their sole character trait. The blurred line between good and bad was abolished, their was no more grey. The lack of clarity over the WW and their motivations is unforgivable writing, they were just the big bad who had to be defeated by our heroes.

Drainy

I have some sympathy with them there. I really enjoy book 4 and 5, but they’re a lot more bloated than the preceding books. I think they have some of the best writing and definitely embody a lot of the themes that are important to Martin, but I don’t think the show could have followed the same path without having to add a lot of hours and characters to what was already a massive production.

They definitely strayed away from what made the books so appealing though, and by extension the show. The nuance just evaporated. Characters ended up becoming fairly broad strokes of their sole character trait. The blurred line between good and bad was abolished, their was no more grey. The lack of clarity over the WW and their motivations is unforgivable writing, they were just the big bad who had to be defeated by our heroes.
Yeah I mean he introduced a whole load more characters in kingdoms that hadn't been visited up to that point and made them key to the story. Its probably not the easiest to do in a show with actors that you are paying millions for.

The problem for me is that the writers seemingly only enjoyed 'oh shit' moments and 'badassery' and not the political drama and intrigue or complex characters or development- which were what made the show great in between the 'oh shit' moments. As soon as they got freedom from GRRM's story the quality of the writing plummeted because they were only superficially interested in the world and likely didn't understand or care to understand anything about where it is heading beyond R+L=J

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Yeah I mean he introduced a whole load more characters in kingdoms that hadn't been visited up to that point and made them key to the story. Its probably not the easiest to do in a show with actors that you are paying millions for.

The problem for me is that the writers seemingly only enjoyed 'oh shit' moments and 'badassery' and not the political drama and intrigue or complex characters or development- which were what made the show great in between the 'oh shit' moments. As soon as they got freedom from GRRM's story the quality of the writing plummeted because they were only superficially interested in the world and likely didn't understand or care to understand anything about where it is heading beyond R+L=J
One caveat: you said the first 3 books, but said it declined after S3: book 3 covers S4 as well and is often considered the best.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The problem was George R R Martin felt under pressure to write an ending to appease the clamour of fans. He should have shown the same patience demonstrated in writing the earlier books. However the problem would have been with the actors and other commitments. I doubt if they'd have waited for a couple of years to finish it.

Zen86

It was season 7 when they had people travelling thousands of miles in the blink of an eye that I realised that continuity had gone out the window. They also started to develop story lines that didn't make sense like the travelling north and losing a dragon just to give the Night King a method of breaching the wall. I realised then that we had moved from a story driven spectacle to an action driven one.
To be fair, the plot and series as a whole went very sketchy as soon it overtook the books. Most of the new plots developed by the show, and deviations from the books were generally a bit shit, so it’s no wonder the story nosedived after they ran out of source material.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Cascarino said:
I have some sympathy with them there. I really enjoy book 4 and 5, but they’re a lot more bloated than the preceding books.
I don’t have much sympathy there. I understand leaving out the

Aegon/Connington plot and Stoneheart

but what they did with Dorne and the Iron Islands is unforgivable, especially Euron. Those are two stories that could have really freshened up the show after the epicness of season 4 and they fecked it up about as bad as was possible. I just don’t think they were arsed with actually developing new, complex characters and plots at that stage. But there’s more than enough material in those two books to have done so.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yeah very much agreed.

I don’t have much sympathy there. I understand leaving out the

Aegon/Connington plot and Stoneheart

but what they did with Dorne and the Iron Islands is unforgivable, especially Euron. Those are two stories that could have really freshened up the show after the epicness of season 4 and they fecked it up about as bad as was possible. I just don’t think they were arsed with actually developing new, complex characters and plots at that stage. But there’s more than enough material in those two books to have done so.
I'm half with you

Stoneheart I understood leaving out (Although Martin has said he really pushed against that, so there will probably be a fair bit of importance in that thread, Arya/Revenge conclusion maybe?) but watching the conclusion of the show made me realise the importance of the Aegon/Connington plot, as when I first read the books it seemed fairly superfluous. It seems to me that in the books it won't be Cersei who Dany faces in the Kings Landing standoff, but rather Aegon. He is also a Targaryen, has a better claim, and I imagine will be loved by the people after ousting Cersei. Dany coming all that way, expecting to be a saviour of the people finds out that she's too late. Could play a part in driving her to do something terrible. I think this also keeps Varys relevant, because without it there's no point to the character and this was slammed home with the treatment he got in the last season.

If I had to pick two out of those four threads, it'd be the Aegon Iron Islands two. Dorne is really cool and the show handled it horribly, and I'd have loved to have seen Doran actually playing a part (especially because the casting was great) but I don't know how well the Quentyn stuff would translate. It'd basically be him being introduced for an episode or two and then dying. It serves a purpose in the books but I think on television it'd be very anticlimactic. Like you said the Euron stuff is great and it's hard to fathom what they were going for with how they portrayed him. Seeing the Euron from the forsaken would have been really cool, D&D have admitted they tried to veer away from a lot of the more fantastical elements but what they gave us instead was terrible.

Drainy

One caveat: you said the first 3 books, but said it declined after S3: book 3 covers S4 as well and is often considered the best.
Fair point, its after S4 that it goes to shit. There are aspects of S4 that were overly simplified from the books to the point where it destroys the important character development of their book counterparts because of the black and white goodies and baddies logic that seeped into the show even at that point (they should never have cut Tysha as that plotline is central to Tyrion in books 4 onward), however it was still close enough to the books to be great and Oberyn was cast superbly.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I don't recommend listening to the audiobook for 5. You run the risk of falling asleep. Doesn't help that Roy Dotrice is a really bad narrator and is disappointing considering how good his real voice is.

Commanding Voice "A Dance of Dragons by George R R Martin. Chapter One. Daenerys."

Squeaky bullshit voice "Hello dere me names Daenerys Trahgareen and I'm deh dragon gurl oh ho ho ho look at me tits."

The one thing I'll say about the books is that there's a lot of shite in them. The show isn't worse for not having Moonboy in it, or Tyrion doing summersaults. And, to be honest, the whole Golden Company stuff just seems half baked.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
People say that people never talk about the short livid British soap Eldorado. And yet here I am talking about it so many years later, in a GOT thread that is completely unrelated to the show. Love it, hate it, or ignore it, but that it's still alive in conversation so many years later proves just how bug the cultural impact of the show is and how you can't dismiss Eldorado.

Explain that atheists.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
People say that people never talk about the short livid British soap Eldorado. And yet here I am talking about it so many years later, in a GOT thread that is completely unrelated to the show. Love it, hate it, or ignore it, but that it's still alive in conversation so many years later proves just how bug the cultural impact of the show is and how you can't dismiss Eldorado.

Explain that atheists.
Oh Bunny.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Actually will check it out later as I enjoy reading your stuff (well some of what I've seen in this thread ha)
I would avoid it like the plague but ta very much.

Last edited:

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Oi, check out this smarmy cnut.

I like this interpretation! I think if I was watching on TV the repeated incidents of people slowly rising to their feet after getting stabbed would get a bit repetitive, but I have always wondered how the story would have ended in the parallel universe where the Night King is the final boss and the Army of the Dead makes it to King's Landing, so I'll take this as parallel canon. You've actually inspired me to finish my own 'fanfic ending' that I've been working on, just on and off, during lockdown. Nothing in the plot changes in mine (except Jaime & Brienne don't sleep together because I always thought that was pretty unimaginative), but you just get more quiet scenes in between the bigger ones. Hoping to expand the season out to the full ten episodes by splitting 'The Last of the Starks' into 3/4 and 'The Iron Throne' into two.

The first three episodes stay exactly as they are. But "episode 4" instead cuts to black on Daenerys telling Jon not to reveal his heritage to Sansa and Arya ("I've just told you how"); "episode 5" ends with Tyrion blacking out after being hit on the head by that beam (after Rhaegal is killed); "episode 6" opens with Grey Worm trying to find Missandei on the beach and cuts to black on Jaime deciding to head south. Then I'd start rearranging things. Jon arrives at Dragonstone in "episode 7" and realises he can't follow through on his love for Dany, Tyrion and Varys have secret arguments over which Targaryen is best, Varys eventually turns on Dany and the episode ends with his execution. In "episode 8", Dany takes her armies to King's Landing and that's when Missandei gets beheaded. Then 'The Bells' stays at it is. "Episode 9" ends with Drogon taking Dany's body to the east; "episode 10" starts with Tyrion being brought to the council and ends where the show does.

Same plotline, just... more space.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I wasn't really bothered about a lot of the last two series it's still good tv. It's just the final character arcs should have been so much better and they totally wasted the Night King ascpect they built up for so long.

I honestly don't think it is a stretch to admit that fans wherever they are from could have come up with better endings for many of the characters.
Any moderately nerd fans could make a 10x better ending. But they can't finish it in 6x1.5 hours time slot.

That's the biggest problem, time. You cant properly end so many lose plots with just 6 mini episodes and not making it an utter mess.

So unless they start cutting off the show and turn it into epilogue i doubt anyone could have done any better. No matter how they finish it there will be house's that's rightly pissed.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I like this interpretation! I think if I was watching on TV the repeated incidents of people slowly rising to their feet after getting stabbed would get a bit repetitive, but I have always wondered how the story would have ended in the parallel universe where the Night King is the final boss and the Army of the Dead makes it to King's Landing, so I'll take this as parallel canon. You've actually inspired me to finish my own 'fanfic ending' that I've been working on, just on and off, during lockdown. Nothing in the plot changes in mine (except Jaime & Brienne don't sleep together because I always thought that was pretty unimaginative), but you just get more quiet scenes in between the bigger ones. Hoping to expand the season out to the full ten episodes by splitting 'The Last of the Starks' into 3/4 and 'The Iron Throne' into two.

The first three episodes stay exactly as they are. But "episode 4" instead cuts to black on Daenerys telling Jon not to reveal his heritage to Sansa and Arya ("I've just told you how"); "episode 5" ends with Tyrion blacking out after being hit on the head by that beam (after Rhaegal is killed); "episode 6" opens with Grey Worm trying to find Missandei on the beach and cuts to black on Jaime deciding to head south. Then I'd start rearranging things. Jon arrives at Dragonstone in "episode 7" and realises he can't follow through on his love for Dany, Tyrion and Varys have secret arguments over which Targaryen is best, Varys eventually turns on Dany and the episode ends with his execution. In "episode 8", Dany takes her armies to King's Landing and that's when Missandei gets beheaded. Then 'The Bells' stays at it is. "Episode 9" ends with Drogon taking Dany's body to the east; "episode 10" starts with Tyrion being brought to the council and ends where the show does.

Same plotline, just... more space.
That was actually pretty cool man. Always thought the final battle should have been the WW in kings landing.
Awwww you guys

I like this. It still just irks me that they rushed the ending. And for what? A Disney deal they no longer have.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
I like this. It still just irks me that they rushed the ending. And for what? A Disney deal they no longer have.
For your pleasure!

I've never really been a big believer in the theory that D&D rushed the ending to go and make Star Wars. By all accounts, the decision to shorten seasons 7 & 8 was made in 2015, even before The Force Awakens was released - so way before any deal with Disney was even thought of, let alone announced. Plus, it took them nearly three years to make those thirteen episodes - I'm not sure they'd have put in so many hours if they were eager to cut the show loose and do other things. I'm also doubtful that the show "could have run for 12 or 13 seasons" like so many people, including GRRM, claim. At that stage, I think you do start to lose viewers and even lose creative control. I think from the beginning they aimed for a "seven books, seven seasons, seventy episodes" structure, and they aimed to stick to that.

But that doesn't necessarily mean they shouldn't have changed their plan. GRRM originally wanted the ASOIAF series to be a trilogy but, like all creative people, things changed for him as he went along. He might be in a muddle now as a result, but at the time it was absolutely the right decision for him to expand the series and use as much space as he could. At the end of season 6, I think the general consensus was that D&D had cut a few corners (like wiping out the Tyrells and Dorne, and not including certain plots from the books) but that they'd done so economically to keep things exciting. The best and most successful serialised shows tend to stop expanding after the halfway point - the story becomes more centrally focused and psychologically driven (as opposed to sociologically) - and so they understandably followed suit. If stories were like real life, they'd be very boring and they'd never end.

But I think season 7 (the weakest season by quite a way, imo) nearly buckles because it doesn't take the time to open up the final act of the story. It speeds up when it should briefly slow down. Remember how long it took for the first major plot explosion in season 1? It simmers away for 6/7 episodes and then bang, Ned's arrested and beheaded, Robb's off to war, and Daenerys has three dragons. Then think about how long it takes for things to happen in season 5 (the underrated start of act two) - it simmers away for 6/7 episodes and then bang, the White Walkers attack Hardhome, Stannis' campaign collapses, Cersei does her walk, and Jon's dead. But then think about season 7. It has just as much responsibility to open the final act, but it stuffs a number of major landmarks in right from the get go. Don't get me wrong, I still find it entertaining and exciting, but by the time our favourites are heading out beyond the Wall I'd not really had the logistics explained. Season 8 has similar issues, just nowhere near as severely (only in my view, I must stress).

Now, why did they do that? As I said, I don't subscribe to the theory that they rushed it to bugger off (Liam Cunningham was quoted at the time saying "Usually we do 10 episodes in 6 months, at the moment we're doing 6 episodes in 10 months"), but my own theory is that they either lost confidence, or interest, in working through the finer details. I think the overwhelmingly positive reaction to 'The Rains of Castamere' or 'The Watchers on the Wall', and especially 'Hardhome' and 'Battle of the Bastards', gave them the belief that they could put all their eggs in the spectacle basket and connect them with bullet points. Now, I thought the bullet points were compelling enough and added up to a conclusion that made sense, so I've never really had much of a problem. And if you break it down to minutes-per-season, season 8 is only 120 minutes (so, two episodes rather than four) shorter than seasons 1-6. But I think, either because they were sat too close or because nobody told them otherwise, I'm not sure they gave enough credit to how much story was actually left.

As we all know, there's a very delicate balance between plot and story, and the last two seasons really walk that line. Season 7 gets it really wrong in some places (even objectively, I don't think season 8 has anything as bad as Arya & Sansa's little feud), and you can't ignore the writing gears working hard in the background to force things into place for the final leg (I don't think season 8 has anything as "WTF?":houllier: as them going beyond the Wall). But I don't think it comes from them thinking "Ah feck it, let's toss this off and get out of here", because it took them a year past their personal schedule. As showrunners and writers I think they just knew they were brilliant at delivering the big moments (critics, super-fans, and all their awards told them they were), so they just relied on that. Even the show's weaker plotlines were rescued, and even enhanced, by outstanding climaxes, so I don't blame them for thinking "Ah, this is what people want!" when it came to the very end. I think they made the wrong choice but I'm not disappointed in them, or mad at them, for thinking that a condensed story was the way to go.