Gareth Bale | Golfer, ex-Footballer, Elbower of racists, Philosopher, Golf Ambassador, Bar Owner, Real Legend, Defibrillator

TheLiverBird

No one is retiring when they’ve got a remaining 1 year contract worth more than £26,000,000

Bale is filthy rich, but he won’t walk away from that

Tallis

He’s done what he was brought in to do which was secure Tottenham Europa Conference football next season. I think Spurs fans would consider his signing a success, no?
Comparable achievement to when he scored in the final to help Madrid achieve a 3rd consecutive CL.

TheLiverBird

You can't blame him either. What chaos is he going to cause do you think
In all fairness mate I literally have no idea

retiring is out the question with £26 million left to earn

he has said some bizarre things over the years has Bale, maybe he’s just having his own little fun and making outlandish comments such as this one

teasing the media, good on him if so

He's done very well this season all things considered.

I wonder if we're in for him on a loan deal. Cavani can't do every game and in the absence of signing a marquee name they would cover each other nicely.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I think by chaos he means he's just going back to Real to see out his contract, he knows Madrid fans don't like him so they'll be going mental over it - don't see his comments as anything cryptic to be honest.

TheLiverBird

I think by chaos he means he's just going back to Real to see out his contract, he knows Madrid fans don't like him so they'll be going mental over it - don't see his comments as anything cryptic to be honest.
Probably just this to be honest

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
In terms of stats not a bad season for him and I think the plan is for Spurs to take over his final 12 months of contract at Madrid so think he'll still be there next season.

Not sure he's got enough about him to play well enough v top level teams though anymore who press him, was non-existant in the Leeds game a few weeks back and can also recall the Arsenal game when he basically wasn't interested in tracking back and helping out Doherty who was being badly exposed by Arsenal pinging balls around him and think Mourinho basically lost faith in him after that.

Obviously he did well yesterday when Leicester just gave him space to run through trying to score themselves but did he impact on another top level game for Spurs this season (can't remember if he played in Zagreb or not).

Edit: Didn't read the "chaos" interview. Yeah looks like he could just call it a day and try to join pro golf tour like a few ex footballers have attempted (John Harkes, Julian Dicks etc).
Yeah he probably needs somewhat of a free role and functioning team behind him but in terms of productivity he's still up there. If he'd have played the majority of the season he'd likely have beaten Kane to the golden boot.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
No way is he going to retire this season while still contracted for 500k pw at Real.

He might have made his mind up, but he can't make Real's mind up for them and make them offer him his last year's salary for free just to see the back of him.

If he has made his mind to retire it will only be after his contract with Madrid expires in 2022.
I didn’t say he would retire before receiving the money mate. I said Real could have offered to pay up and he might have accepted it. Real won’t want the circus and memes from his last season there, so there is every chance that they have decided to cut their losses and pay.

Obviously we know nothing and it’s all speculation, but who is to say they haven’t come to an agreement?

MadMike

I didn’t say he would retire before receiving the money mate. I said Real could have offered to pay up and he might have accepted it. Real won’t want the circus and memes from his last season there, so there is every chance that they have decided to cut their losses and pay.

Obviously we know nothing and it’s all speculation, but who is to say they haven’t come to an agreement?
Yeah but what you’re saying is still irrational.

If Real don’t want the memes they’ll likely offer him out on loan again for the final season of his contract to someone who will cover a large chunk of his salary. They will do everything they can to avoid having to pay the full remaining sum, in the same way Bale will do everything he can to be paid the full remaining sum. They won’t just hand it over.

If he had such an agreement with Real Madrid, he (or Madrid) would have announced it. There’d be no reason to hold back. So obviously he has decided what he wants to do but there’s no agreement with the club just yet.

If Real don’t want the memes they’ll likely offer him out on loan again for the final season of his contract to someone who will cover a large chunk of his salary. They will do everything they can to avoid having to pay the full remaining sum, in the same way Bale will do everything he can to be paid the full remaining sum. They won’t just hand it over.

If he had such an agreement with Real Madrid, he (or Madrid) would have announced it. There’d be no reason to hold back. So obviously he has decided what he wants to do but there’s no agreement with the club just yet.
i assume his stock has increased since this time last year - at least he’s been playing football, and it was spurs who went through the pain of getting him up to speed.

given the continued Covid environment, I don’t see him having many takers that would make much of a contribution to his wages.

MadMike

i assume his stock has increased since this time last year - at least he’s been playing football, and it was spurs who went through the pain of getting him up to speed.

given the continued Covid environment, I don’t see him having many takers that would make much of a contribution to his wages.
So Spurs went through the pain of getting him up to speed and his stock has increased, but now you don’t think there’d be a club willing to pay 150-200k pw for a player of his talent who averaged a goal every 83 minutes in the EPL?

What?:houllier:

So Spurs went through the pain of getting him up to speed and his stock has increased, but now you don’t think there’d be a club willing to pay 150-200k pw for a player of his talent who averaged a goal every 83 minutes in the EPL?

do you?

ive said his stock must clearly have increased, but no I don’t think there will be clubs queuing up for him. Look at the context of the goals he scored.

MadMike

do you?

ive said his stock must clearly have increased, but no I don’t think there will be clubs queuing up for him. Look at the context of the goals he scored.
Yes, I do. I can see him staying for another season with Spurs, if the new manager deems him a decent attacking option to keep. Or having a swan song season in Italy with either AC or Juventus (with Ronaldo seemingly leaving). Or going to the US for someone like FC Miami. All these will be easily capable of making a decent contribution towards his wages.

What is the negative in the context of his goals? Enlighten me.

Yes, I do. I can see him staying for another season with Spurs, if the new manager deems him a decent attacking option to keep. Or having a swan song season in Italy with either AC or Juventus (with Ronaldo seemingly leaving). Or going to the US for someone like FC Miami. All these will be easily capable of making a decent contribution towards his wages.

I don’t have the time or inclination.

its all somewhat futile until we see what happens to him. It’s going to be a bloody long summer.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I wouldn't be pissed if we got him on loan for a year if we don't get sancho.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

Yesterday was first time he scored v top half all season? Mind you he was only coming on for last 10 minutes v Man. United and Liverpool and cup final he came on in 67th minute so bit of mitigation needed there.

TheLiverBird

BIB

Bale won’t just get loaned out to any Club

If Spurs don’t want him back

Or Bale isn’t keen on other loan alternatives

R Madrid will contractually have no choice but to pay Gareth his money, handing it over is exactly what they’ll have to do

MadMike

BIB

Bale won’t just get loaned out to any Club

If Spurs don’t want him back

Or Bale isn’t keen on other loan alternatives

R Madrid will contractually have no choice but to pay Gareth his money, handing it over is exactly what they’ll have to do
Nope. Then they'll likely just make him train every week, like he's contractually obliged to do if not deemed injured, and if they don't want to play him they'll just leave him out of the game squad. They'll still keep him as an option in case they are affected by an injury crisis, to be petulant and to "show strength" so to speak. There really is 0 incentive for Real Madrid to pay him off so he can go golfing a year early. The only way they could accept to pay him off to leave, is if Bale agrees to write off an acceptable for Real Madrid portion of his remaining salary.

TheReligion

Abusive

Are Real going to continue paying over half his wages again next season for the privilege? I'm not so sure

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Despite all the hate I'd still have him next season instead of Hazard. He's a very controversial player but I do think he's a good professional and he has just rubbed the press in a bad way. His attitude is similar to Carlos Vela, who while being a top player was hated by a lot of people (specially in his country from what I recall) by declaring stuff like he likes to watch NBA in his spare time.

MadMike

They will want a buyer. Not another loan.
I feel like you've entered the discussion late and you're missing context.

The speculation is that Bale has decided to retire when his contract with Real Madrid expires next summer and some people here are saying that Real would agree to pay him his full remaining salary just to feck off a year earlier and not have to deal with him. If he's retiring then he can't be sold and no one will buy him. Nor will anyone offer him anywhere near what he's on at Madrid.

Now what I'm saying is that there's 0 chance Madrid will pay +500k pw for 52 weeks and let him go golfing for the whole year. If they pay him full salary they'll keep him in Madrid training every day and playing for the reserves if only out of spite. The only way they'd agree to pay him off is if accepts a significant deduction in the remaining sum.

TheReligion

Abusive
I feel like you've entered the discussion late and you're missing context.

The speculation is that Bale has decided to retire when his contract with Real Madrid expires next summer and some people here are saying that Real would agree to pay him his full remaining salary just to feck off a year earlier and not have to deal with him. If he's retiring then he can't be sold and no one will buy him. Nor will anyone offer him anywhere near what he's on at Madrid.

Now what I'm saying is that there's 0 chance Madrid will pay +500k pw for 52 weeks and let him go golfing for the whole year. If they pay him full salary they'll keep him in Madrid training every day and playing for the reserves if only out of spite. The only way they'd agree to pay him off is if accepts a significant deduction in the remaining sum.
If he's decided to retire then that makes sense

One last hurrah at Southampton it is.

djembatheking

Turned out to be an incredibly astute signing by Spurs. Without his goals I doubt they would have secured European football and possible away trips to Maccabi Tel Aviv , Torpedo-BelAZ Zhodino or Universitatea Craiova .

Threesus

Turned out to be an incredibly astute signing by Spurs. Without his goals I doubt they would have secured European football and possible away trips to Maccabi Tel Aviv , Torpedo-BelAZ Zhodino or Universitatea Craiova .
Spurs playing PES in real life

TheLiverBird

Nope. Then they'll likely just make him train every week, like he's contractually obliged to do if not deemed injured, and if they don't want to play him they'll just leave him out of the game squad. They'll still keep him as an option in case they are affected by an injury crisis, to be petulant and to "show strength" so to speak. There really is 0 incentive for Real Madrid to pay him off so he can go golfing a year early. The only way they could accept to pay him off to leave, is if Bale agrees to write off an acceptable for Real Madrid portion of his remaining salary.
RM will have to pay his full wages if no agreement in loan options is made or sales

it’s quite simple

RM might have 0 incentives to pay an unwanted player their wages, but will have to pay them regardless

I’m sure they’ll do their best to negotiate a deal with someone, but otherwise. Money money money for Bale, the man is laughing

Threesus

Despite all the hate I'd still have him next season instead of Hazard. He's a very controversial player but I do think he's a good professional and he has just rubbed the press in a bad way. His attitude is similar to Carlos Vela, who while being a top player was hated by a lot of people (specially in his country from what I recall) by declaring stuff like he likes to watch NBA in his spare time.
He was way better for Real Madrid than hazard has been. I think the way Real Madrid fans talk about him has somewhat led to a perception that he was poor for Real Madrid, when it couldn’t be further from the truth.

The goal where he burned bartra is one of the best goals I have ever seen. Was very clutch for Real Madrid as well.
But then, Real Madrid fans will complain even if a peak Messi was playing for them, their standards are just so impossibly high.

MadMike

RM will have to pay his full wages if no agreement in loan options is made or sales

it’s quite simple

RM might have 0 incentives to pay an unwanted player their wages, but will have to pay them regardless

I’m sure they’ll do their best to negotiate a deal with someone, but otherwise. Money money money for Bale, the man is laughing
First off, friendly advice, stop righting one sentence paragraphs it's extremely annoying to read. It's a forum not a whatsapp convo. Secondly, the only way they have to pay his wages is if he fulfils his side of the contract which is to train and make himself available for selection. They have to pay him nada if he wants to go golfing a year early.

Real have no obligation and 0 incentive to pay him to retire early, unless he accepts a significant deduction. Otherwise he'll have to train in Madrid for a year. It's that simple.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I wouldn't be pissed if we got him on loan for a year if we don't get sancho.
You prefer to play greenwood, rashford and james out of position over bale ?

Bale is quality and he's 3 years younger than cavani.

TheLiverBird

First off, friendly advice, stop righting one sentence paragraphs it's extremely annoying to read. It's a forum not a whatsapp convo. Secondly, the only way they have to pay his wages is if he fulfils his side of the contract which is to train and make himself available for selection. They have to pay him nada if he wants to go golfing a year early.

Real have no obligation and 0 incentive to pay him to retire early, unless he accepts a significant deduction. Otherwise he'll have to train in Madrid for a year. It's that simple.
What in gods name are you talking about??

Who is saying he won’t fulfill that obligation??

If he has no where else to go, because no one is interested in him for example, then he’ll have no option but to train back at Madrid and collect his £26,000,000 for the year that Madrid are contracted to pay him

it’s quite simple

Hulksmash

The Goals he scored was mostly against Relegation site. Against Top Teams he was almost invisible. Even Ryan fecking Mason didn't start him in his XI

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The Goals he scored was mostly against Relegation site. Against Top Teams he was almost invisible. Even Ryan fecking Mason didn't start him in his XI
Love arguments like this. The 'but but but those goals don't really count' argument. It's a classic.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Sounds like the perfect signing for us to be honest.

youngrell

I’m sure he just wants any talk of his future to be held off until after the Euros. Last thing he and the Wales camp would is a summer of focus on that rather than the tournament.

Suspect he’s just off back to Madrid and doesn’t want their media all over him for the next month or two.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Love arguments like this. The 'but but but those goals don't really count' argument. It's a classic.
Gets brought out for Lukaku every time someone tries to diminish his goal scoring record too....

It's an argument born out of clutching at straws.