Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

The Neviller

I don't see it as ridculous.

When was the last time in the CL that a winger scored a hat-trick, away from home, with his team reduced to 10 men, against the reigning champions?

It was an amazing individual performance that epitomises Bale's sheer drive and talent. If you can't see that then we'll just have to agree to disagree.
It was meaningless Glaston. Absolutely, completely and utterly meaningless. Inter were 4-0 up and coasting, Bale scored a few good goals, 2 in injury time, against a team strolling, and a right back who, while regarded as one of the best in the world, is regarded so for his attacking prowess, he's never been a great defender and couldn't cope with Bale for pace.

Bale took his goals very well that night, Inter couldnt cope with him for pace late in the game, but where was he when his team really needed him at
0-0, 1-0, 2-0 even 3-0? Why didnt he (couldn't he) make the difference THEN, when it really counted? That is what great players do when they put in great performances.

Berbatov scored a hat trick for us against the scousers, the 3rd of which was an overhead kick, and game winning goal. I've yet to hear anyone declare it one of the greatest ever performances by an individual player in the premier league, and his hat trick/perfomrance actually meant something.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It was meaningless Glaston. Absolutely, completely and utterly meaningless. Inter were 4-0 up and coasting, Bale scored a few good goals, 2 in injury time, against a team strolling, and a right back who, while regarded as one of the best in the world, is regarded so for his attacking prowess, he's never been a great defender and couldn't cope with Bale for pace.

Bale took his goals very well that night, Inter couldnt cope with him for pace late in the game, but where was he when his team really needed him at
0-0, 1-0, 2-0 even 3-0? Why didnt he (couldn't he) make the difference THEN, when it really counted? That is what great players do when they put in great performances.

Berbatov scored a hat trick for us against the scousers, the 3rd of which was an overhead kick, and game winning goal. I've yet to hear anyone declare it one of the greatest ever performances by an individual player in the premier league, and his hat trick/perfomrance actually meant something.
You're completely right here, but I had to point out one thing. Berbatov's overhead kick was the second goal, not the winner. Your point is still legit and stands, though. Just thought I would mention it, since it's a moment I'll never forget.

The Neviller

You're completely right here, but I had to point out one thing. Berbatov's overhead kick was the second goal, not the winner. Your point is still legit and stands, though. Just thought I would mention it, since it's a moment I'll never forget.
Aye fair enough.

feck you cheesy :lol:

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
.... what Bale did was very impressive, but he did it when his side were 4-0 down and facing defeat. Who won the game in the end? ...
That's entirely irrelevant. The subject is Bale's performance, not that of the Spurs team.

Varun

Staff
Glaston, it was a performance when his team was 4-0 down and out of the match in a game in the group stages when all that matters is the 3 points and not the final score. Inter lost focus towards the end and bale burnt maicon for pace. 2 goals in injury time. good individual performance but hardly one of the best in CL football because of the sheer scenario in which the performance took place. Good but Meaningless.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It was meaningless Glaston. Absolutely, completely and utterly meaningless ....
Listen, I get it.

* Bale scoring a hat-trick away against the reigning champions for a team that's been reduced to 10 men = meaningless.

* Bale being voted PFA player of the year = a joke

* Bale scoring 11 goals last season and 8 this season so far = inconsistent

* Bale destroying Maicon in both CL games = Maicon was over-rated

* The suggestion that Bale would be welcomed into the first XI of almost any team in the world = laughable.

According to this thread, Bale is variously over-rated, over-hyped, nothing special, just a speed merchant, or does nothing that any standard good winger doesn't also do.

Ah well :houllier:

Edmeiste

Listen, I get it.

* Bale scoring a hat-trick away against the reigning champions for a team that's been reduced to 10 men = meaningless.

* Bale being voted PFA player of the year = a joke

* Bale scoring 11 goals last season and 8 this season so far = inconsistent

* Bale destroying Maicon in both CL games = Maicon was over-rated

* The suggestion that Bale would be welcomed into the first XI of almost any team in the world = laughable.

According to this thread, Bale is variously over-rated, over-hyped, nothing special, just a speed merchant, or does nothing that any standard good winger doesn't also do.

Ah well :houllier:
You need to stop operating at two extremes and embrace the gray areas because you're completely missing them. Only very few people are calling him a speed merchant but for some reason, you've become Van Gogh!

The Neviller

Jesus Glaston, you really do take points made by others and twist them up in your mind until you spew them out in little balls of fury don't you? It's almost like a personal affront to you that people don't think Bale is the second coming of our lord and saviour Jesus H Christ.

I've said countless times in this thread that Bale is a good player, in fact I've said very good, but because I don't think he's just as good as you say he is, or think his perfomance against Inter was superhuman, I'm under rating him or not giving him enough credit. Then you ignore half of what i say, and quote a tiny bit of a post ive written to take issue with it, mostly taking it out of context given the rest of the point ive made. Why do you do that?

When you eulogise over him so much, with endless superlatives and crazy hyperboles what exactly do you expect?

We're never going to agree on this Glaston, I think he's good, you think he's god. I rate him, it seems you'd rape him.

We should just leave it at that.

Gazza

You need to stop operating at two extremes and embrace the gray areas because you're completely missing them. Only very few people are calling him a speed merchant but for some reason, you've become Van Gogh!

Glaston strikes me as very black and white, especially about Spurs. Almost like he's incapable of understanding arguments that aren't at one side of the spectrum. Makes discussions with him a bit pointless. He's like cescs_mullet but for Spurs... he should probably be called something like bale_monkeyman.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That's entirely irrelevant. The subject is Bale's performance, not that of the Spurs team.
No, it isn't. It's not irrelevant at all. In fact, it's incredibly important. Let me ask you this. Would Bale have scored those 3 goals if Inter were only winning 2-0, for example. How can you simply fail to recognise that what he did was meaningless in the end, because Spurs still lost?

Edmeiste

Glaston strikes me as very black and white, especially about Spurs. Almost like he's incapable of understanding arguments that aren't at one side of the spectrum. Makes discussions with him a bit pointless. He's like cescs_mullet but for Spurs... he should probably be called something like bale_monkeyman.
Indeed, it's not hard to have a good debate but he actually makes it impossible. It's like two people arguing but never listening to each other so in fact they aren't arguing. They're just restating their points over and over and over. Glaston has said nothing new. Nothing. Yet somehow that transmits to lengthen the argument which from what I've seen, there is none. WUM

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Another team of the year - this one from Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport

Neuer, Alves, Piqué, Thiago Silva, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Xavi, Iniesta, CR7, Messi y Bale. Coach: Pep Guardiola.

Fair to say, he left an impression.
Good team that.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He did claim Spurs reserves could get to the Europa League Quarters. There is a little bit of Glaston in him.
Except that's not really what I said is it? As part of a wider discussion, I said that we wouldn't be using first team players in the europa league, unless they got to the quarter finals (not until they get to the qf, unless), in which case they would be drafted in at a realistic chance of winning a trophy.

You seemed to take umbrage at this comment and then suggested that even Tottenham's first team would struggle to make the quarter finals of this competition, crap as we are. I pointed out that a) we reached the quarter finals of the big brother of the Europa league just the season before and b) that we, with a worse team, had reached the quarter finals of this competition just a few seasons before.

I can't remember what you said after that but it probably involved seizing on the reserves comment again. The interesting thing is that, due to injuries, we had to actually field quite a few players below the reserve level throughout the campaign.

Gomes, Corluka, Gallas, Dawson, Rose, Kranjcar/Pienaar, Huddlestone, Sandro, Townsend, Pav, Kane/Defoe would probably have been the team put out if Redknapp had had the opportunity. Instead, we had to bring up quite a few untested academy kids to compensate for injuries and play players out of position. Considering how close we got to qualifying with the teams we did put out, I feel confident that we would have qualified if that team had played the group.

But of course, we must go back to the most important point. Which is that all I said was that our starting 11 would likely get to the quarter finals and that it wasn't outrageous to claim that our reserves could navigate the group and possibly do the same.

Either way, I'm delighted that we're out of this once prestigious competition that UEFA has now destroyed.

acnumber9

Except that's not really what I said is it? As part of a wider discussion, I said that we wouldn't be using first team players in the europa league, unless they got to the quarter finals (not until they get to the qf, unless), in which case they would be drafted in at a realistic chance of winning a trophy.

You seemed to take umbrage at this comment and then suggested that even Tottenham's first team would struggle to make the quarter finals of this competition, crap as we are. I pointed out that a) we reached the quarter finals of the big brother of the Europa league just the season before and b) that we, with a worse team, had reached the quarter finals of this competition just a few seasons before.

I can't remember what you said after that but it probably involved seizing on the reserves comment again. The interesting thing is that, due to injuries, we had to actually field quite a few players below the reserve level throughout the campaign.

Gomes, Corluka, Gallas, Dawson, Rose, Kranjcar/Pienaar, Huddlestone, Sandro, Townsend, Pav, Kane/Defoe would probably have been the team put out if Redknapp had had the opportunity. Instead, we had to bring up quite a few untested academy kids to compensate for injuries and play players out of position. Considering how close we got to qualifying with the teams we did put out, I feel confident that we would have qualified if that team had played the group.

But of course, we must go back to the most important point. Which is that all I said was that our starting 11 would likely get to the quarter finals and that it wasn't outrageous to claim that our reserves could navigate the group and possibly do the same.

Either way, I'm delighted that we're out of this once prestigious competition that UEFA has now destroyed.
It is what you said. No amount of words thrown around in this post change that.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ok, I'll shorten it down. A mixture of Spurs reserves plus Spurs youth came within 1 point of qualifying from the group, when they would then be a two legged away (against Olympiakos) from being in the qf. Considering their performance, I feel confident now that had we been able to field the actual reserves, we would have qualified.

The more ridiculous statement was that our first team wouldn't (so a more definitive statement than mine) get to the quarter finals. My statement and eventual outcome (us finishing 3rd) was no more delusional than some of your fans claiming you could win the CL this season..and then finishing 3rd.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Bale is class. I wish we had him. Okay, he's a bit inconsistent, but that's the nature of wingers. He'll get even better and more consistent as he gets older.

acnumber9

Ok, I'll shorten it down. A mixture of Spurs reserves plus Spurs youth came within 1 point of qualifying from the group, when they would then be a two legged away (against Olympiakos) from being in the qf. Considering their performance, I feel confident now that had we been able to field the actual reserves, we would have qualified.

The more ridiculous statement was that our first team wouldn't (so a more definitive statement than mine) get to the quarter finals. My statement and eventual outcome (us finishing 3rd) was no more delusional than some of your fans claiming you could win the CL this season..and then finishing 3rd.
I never you said your first team couldn't achieve that. I said they would struggle based on previous and asked what made you think your reserve team could get that far.

Your point about Utd is moot as for one, I never claimed we would win it (though our pedigree is much better than Tottenham's so not as ludicrous a suggestion as you imply) and nobody claimed we could get to the quarter finals with our reserves.

Brophs

The One and Only
I wish he'd feck off with that celebration, the gormless chimpy cnut.

Minkaro

He's in some great form recently. Let's see if he can keep it up this time, after his drop last season (which I think was injury related)?

ricky-romeo

he is getting better and better, especially in front of goal. he could end up being a 15-20 goals a season winger which is rarely to be seen these days.

and his last week goal against citeh was brilliant.

The White Pele

He's the real deal. I think he has become more productive this season, certainly over the last couple of months.

Brophs

The One and Only
Though Levy might give us a blast of "taxi for my con" in the next couple of weeks if things go badly.

Devil may care

Two quality goals tonight to take him to 11 for the season and when I've seen him play this season he has been less rigid and one dimensional than last season, he's growing as a footballer.