Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I would love us to sign him but sadly can't ever see it happening. I think he would only go for a huge fee, and in that case it would be somebody like Barca/Real/City.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If Chelsea and City sign two of the other best left sided players in the world, and then Tottenham start to go bust, we have a chance

RedLars

Yeah I agree. It would take a quick and spectacular, Liverpool-esque and then some, fall from grace from Spurs for us to have any chance of getting him. Even then we probably could never hope to compete against City, Chelsea and Real Madrid for him anyways.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A friend of mine on Facebook works where his grandfather has been holidaying this week and he is claiming that Bale is aiming for a move to either Madrid or Barcelona this summer and has been learning Spanish in anticipation.

I hate these "friend says" stories as much as everyone but I know the source definitely works there and his grandfather is holidaying there so I thought I would share it anyway in case it turns out to be true. I'm very sceptical of his grandfather actually telling that sort of stuff to anyone who asks though.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
A friend of mine on Facebook works where his grandfather has been holidaying this week and he is claiming that Bale is aiming for a move to either Madrid or Barcelona this summer and has been learning Spanish in anticipation.

I hate these "friend says" stories as much as everyone but I know the source definitely works there and his grandfather is holidaying there so I thought I would share it anyway in case it turns out to be true. I'm very sceptical of his grandfather actually telling that sort of stuff to anyone who asks though.
I have a friend who works at M&S and apparently Bale came in last week and purchased a pair of United underpants.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Would any of you rate him above Nani?
Bales physical side is better, he's stronger and probably quicker but it's not by a lot. Nani beats him in all other areas though.

Productivity: Nani scores and assists at a much higher rate.

Technique: Nani's touch, close control and trickery are all far superior and are the reason he can beat a man without needing 10 yards behind him.

Finishing: Both close and long range, Nani is superior.

Crossing: Bale is certainly a good crosser of the ball and can whip in a fantastic cross but I think Nani's vision is better than Bale's in that he picks out the right cross more consistently. Be it whipped in, floated or cut back and his assist tally confirms this.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle

Can you get a more obscure connection? :lol:

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Bales physical side is better, he's stronger and probably quicker but it's not by a lot. Nani beats him in all other areas though.

Productivity: Nani scores and assists at a much higher rate.
This season Bale is ahead by a bit though on both Goals and Assists count, but i don't agree with Bale being stronger than Nani at all.

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Would any of you rate him above Nani?
Nani is a better player, but at the moment Bale plays a more central position for his side than Nani does for us, which results in Bale's goals and assists being more frequent at the moment. Bale is basically playing as a second striker a lot of the time, very similar to Ronaldo for us in his later seasons.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Can you get a more obscure connection? :lol:
Haha I know, I felt embarrassed writing it because after years on football forums I've seen all the friend's-cousin's-mate's-dogsitter links before but I do know the lad and he seems genuine about it so I thought it worth posting for entertainment sake if nothing else but like I said, I really can't see the lads grandfather going around telling anyone who ask's what his grandson has planned for his career.

RedRover

Getting better and better. Integral for Spurs this season!
He's been outstanding for the most part.

Last year there was a lot of media hype and a lot of peopl on here were overly critical of him in my opinion.

A lot of the hype was, as it often is, a little over the top but uou could see then that he had it all in his locker and he's kept on developing.

Will be some player if he keeps it up. Most of all a great athlete.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Chances are that he won't even get nominated for the player of the year award this year, despite the fact that he's been better than he was last year. Funny game, football.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Chances are that he won't even get nominated for the player of the year award this year, despite the fact that he's been better than he was last year. Funny game, football.
I've just had a look and he's 6/1 to win it. Not bad odds at all considering that voting takes place soon and that the award is traditionally hugely biased towards British players. If he has another good game against Liverpool on Monday (presumably televised), it might be worth placing money on him before the odds drop.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
And so it begins...again.

People want to talk about his 'lovely' goal against City, but I've seen no mention of how wasteful and sloppy he was for the other 89 minutes. He even fluffed a similar chance just a few minutes earlier.
He was quite poor that game but so what? How often have we praised the likes of Rooney and Nani for being poor but still coming up with a goal?

He's been fantastic this season (the first 2 months aside).

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Never mind that he nearly won the game with a trademark surging run right at the end...if Defoe had've tapped that in Bale would've been the matchwinner and no-one would've cared. Nor should they have, really. Job done.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
You're going to criticise his performance against City? Really?

Well, he is a one trick pony anyway. I'm just not quite sure what that one trick is anymore.

MacMUFC

Its not as clear cut as people are making out with Bale in this sort of form.

Jacob

If we didn't have such a good crop of wingers at our club i would want us to pay up to £50M for this lad. Maybe if Valencia was converted to a central mid which is unlikely, although I do believe he would cause some serious damage with his power from there like he currently does on the flank.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Whenever I see this thread title, I feel this urge to write a reply like this:

"...the stapler! Rated PG13."

Adebesi

"The best left sided player in europe" Some plonker on sky.

And also, hes worth "5 or 6 more times now, then when he was bought," That would mean £25mil to 30mil.

Very good player, would gladly have him at united in a heart beat, but the best left sided player in europe? Do sky just live on hyperboles?
On MOTD on Tuesday, Dixon (I think it was) said something like: "He was said to be worth £30m, well Im sorry but after this he must be worth £200m."

It was something like that, might have been £100m. Certainly some figure in excess of what we got for Ronaldo.

Hyperbole.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It was in reference to a story from the mail or someone that Levy would only accept 150 million for Bale.

acnumber9

On MOTD on Tuesday, Dixon (I think it was) said something like: "He was said to be worth £30m, well Im sorry but after this he must be worth £200m."

It was something like that, might have been £100m. Certainly some figure in excess of what we got for Ronaldo.

Hyperbole.
I think it was actually £300m. Someone mentioned the £150m to Dixon and he said he must be worth £300m after that. It's this ridiculous hype around him that makes it hard for me to like the player even though it isn't his fault.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
If we didn't have such a good crop of wingers at our club i would want us to pay up to £50M for this lad. Maybe if Valencia was converted to a central mid which is unlikely, although I do believe he would cause some serious damage with his power from there like he currently does on the flank.
I am a big fan of Bale, but this is the sort of stuff we're talking about when we say that he's vastly overrated by some. Top player, but definitely not worth £50m, no matter what crop of wingers your team has.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
To think he was languishing in the reserves not too long ago and there was talk of us getting him for £3-5m :(

Jacob

I am a big fan of Bale, but this is the sort of stuff we're talking about when we say that he's vastly overrated by some. Top player, but definitely not worth £50m, no matter what crop of wingers your team has.
Judging by today's transfer fees, with respect to age.. I'd say £50M is a reasonable price. If Torres goes for that amount, while being older and significantly worse, why shouldn't Bale? Also, I don't believe Bale is overrated, I think he'd do even better at United.

Gazza

Judging by today's transfer fees, with respect to age.. I'd say £50M is a reasonable price. If Torres goes for that amount, while being older and significantly worse, why shouldn't Bale? Also, I don't believe Bale is overrated, I think he'd do even better at United.
Because the fee they paid for Torres was completely mental ? :confused:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I don't think you can judge player transfer fees by comparing them to prices that other players go for. Each player has his own story in a way when it comes to a transfer, and lots of different things came into account when Chelsea bough Torres. Also bear in mind that while Torres was overpriced and hasn't really performed well at Chelsea, he went there as one of the most feared European strikers, who many felt had been having a slight off season at Chelsea. I certainly wouldn't say that he was signficantly worse than Bale at the time when he moved.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Great dive by him yesterday, not surprising to see the media not picking up on a British player diving to win the penalty. I wonder if they would be so kind if it was someone like Nani who had done it....

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Great dive by him yesterday, not surprising to see the media not picking up on a British player diving to win the penalty. I wonder if they would be so kind if it was someone like Nani who had done it....
Those were my sentiments as well.

It was kind of buried by the result too.

Had Spurs won or got a point, it would be getting a bit more scrutiny I reckon.

But yea, nowhere near as much if it was Nani.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It was a truly cracking dive. So good that it looks like a penalty on first viewing, and you can only tell it's a dive after 2 or 3 replays.

You just have to take your hat off to him...

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
If I was a Spurs fan and he did not go down I would have been furious with Bale.

It was well executed and keeper should have been sent off.