Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
yeah, it was a stupid post by me, who really doesn't know the context of anything. I should've just stayed out of it -- sorry, pogues, and sorry, amol
To be fair, I myself should have stayed out of it. And will do so in the future.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Of the current crop, Nani, Valencia and Malouda have all come good over the past year, Giggs is still up there, Lennon will be a superb player if he ever learns that he doesn't ALWAYS have to try and beat his man. Walcot's got the potential to be the best winger in the league, Silva will be good if he settles at City, etc. Obviously I'd have to concede Bale's up there too if he keeps up the form he's showed towards the end of last season...the thing is that before then he didn't really show anything other than the odd glimpse, where as with the others the talent's always been there for all to see.
That's probably about right, at the end of the day Brian.

gaffs

News that may give the transfer muppets a semi....

Toshack reveals Bale interest - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Tottenham star Gareth Bale was the subject of a "big-money bid" over the summer, according to Wales manager John Toshack.

The 21-year-old Wales international's blistering form in 2010 has seen him become one of the hottest properties in the Barclays Premier League.

"It was a big-money bid - it's big money to me anyway. You'll have to ask Tottenham, they know about it," said Toshack.

"Gareth is aware people are looking at him and people are interested."

When pressed on the identity of the club, Toshack said: "I wouldn't do that out of confidence for the people who have informed me."

Toshack did joke that Spurs manager Harry Redknapp should not be claiming the credit for Bale's emergence.

Bale, who joined Spurs for £5million in 2007, only became a regular in the north Londoners' side in the second half of last season. Toshack has been an admirer since handing the Cardiff-born player, who now has 24 caps, his international debut at the age of 16 just over four years ago.

Toshack said: "Two years ago when we started the World Cup qualifying campaign, the first three matches Bale was named man of the match against Azerbaijan, Russia and Liechtenstein.

"I know Harry thinks he has performed some kind of miracle at White Hart Lane but it is certainly not a surprise to us. We know full well what Gareth can do.

"I think the fact the left-back (Benoit Assou-Ekotto) was injured at Tottenham opened the door for him a bit and that shouldn't have been the case. But it was and he's taken full advantage."

amolbhatia50k

Hope he either stays at Spurs or comes to us. Wouldn't want any of the league contenders to get him.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Toshack said: "Two years ago when we started the World Cup qualifying campaign, the first three matches Bale was named man of the match against Azerbaijan, Russia and Liechtenstein.

"I know Harry thinks he has performed some kind of miracle at White Hart Lane but it is certainly not a surprise to us.
We know full well what Gareth can do.

"I think the fact the left-back (Benoit Assou-Ekotto) was injured at Tottenham opened the door for him a bit and that shouldn't have been the case. But it was and he's taken full advantage."

:eek::lol:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Forgot to comment in this thread after thier game on Saturday.

What a fecking player he is looking like. I know left wing isn't really a priority for us at the moment but seriously, we need to be signing this kid.

He has pace, his delivery on the run is (dare i say it) as good as Beckham's, he can beat a man and can score goals.

Fergie said that when Giggs, Scholes, Gaz and Edwin retire we'd probably have to spend big, I'm hoping that Bale is one of the players he is going to look too. I genuinely believe we'd live to regret letting him go to Chelsea or City.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Im definitely a Bale fan now, I was on the fence about him. But he has worked on his size and is definitely a much tougher player. He, a centre mid and a right back should be Fergies next targets...if he has money of course!

Carl

Im definitely a Bale fan now, I was on the fence about him. But he has worked on his size and is definitely a much tougher player. He, a centre mid and a right back should be Fergies next targets...if he has money of course!
Not confident Rafael can make the step up?

davisjw

With Spurs in the CL, you won't see them selling to us again until they drop out of it and have been out of it for a number of seasons.

Carl

With Spurs in the CL, you won't see them selling to us again until they drop out of it and have been out of it for a number of seasons.
They won't finish top 4 this season. He won't be cheap, but I reckon he'll be worth it.

BaldwinLegend

I think he's nailed on to come to United as Giggs' successor. Unfortunately though, I think SAF will go at the same time as Giggs so will miss out on managing Bale...

Berlinknives

I think he's nailed on to come to United as Giggs' successor. Unfortunately though, I think SAF will go at the same time as Giggs so will miss out on managing Bale...
Bale won't join United, it's more liklier that Sir Alex takes the Welsh job and manages Bale that way IMO.

:lol:

RedRover

Bale won't join United, it's more liklier that Sir Alex takes the Welsh job and manages Bale that way IMO.

:lol:
Bale may end up a United player one day. Been linked before and Sir Alex was keen to sign himi from Southampton if media reports are to be believed.

Quality player in my opinion. Young lad, quick, great athlete and very direct. Ideal left winger for the PL.

Maybe the man to replace Giggs if and when he retires, especially if Spurs drop out of the top 4.

WireRed

Bale may end up a United player one day. Been linked before and Sir Alex was keen to sign himi from Southampton if media reports are to be believed.

Quality player in my opinion. Young lad, quick, great athlete and very direct. Ideal left winger for the PL.

Maybe the man to replace Giggs if and when he retires, especially if Spurs drop out of the top 4.
Whilst this is correct, you remain unconvinced about Nani's credentials yet are singing Bale's praises despite Bale also only just getting his finger out at the start of 2010 like Nani.

By your logic expressed in the "gift for Nani" thread, Bale still has to do a lot more to be a proven quality player.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Whilst this is correct, you remain unconvinced about Nani's credentials yet are singing Bale's praises despite Bale also only just getting his finger out at the start of 2010 like Nani.

By your logic expressed in the "gift for Nani" thread, Bale still has to do a lot more to be a proven quality player
There is a difference between quality player and "world class" player as Nani was branded in that thread by some posters

WireRed

There is a difference between quality player and "world class" player as Nani was branded in that thread by some posters
The debate was whether Nani should succeed Owen as our number 7 which RedRover turned into a "is Nani the finished article yet" thread.

He's said Nani still has to maintain this form for a while longer to convince him, fair enough, but the same applies to Bale as their careers have both only really taken off at the turn of this year.

If he is still unsure on Nani, how can he say Bale can succeed Giggs?

I'm not getting at Bale, he's been pure class since January but RedRover has criticised Nani whilst praising Bale for about the same period of good form.

Berlinknives

Gareth Bale is an overrated player that would never go for value for money ... a waste of a squad place in my honest position. In two year's time he's likely to be the new David Bentley anyway.

That run of winlessness wasn't a coincidence, he's a limited player who's been in the back pocket of Rafael, Neville and John O'Shea (and Valencia when Bale is leftback) whenever Spurs have played United recently. Only Obertan and Fabio playing out of position have really struggled with him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Gareth Bale is an overrated player that would never go for value for money ... a waste of a squad place in my honest position. In two year's time he's likely to be the new David Bentley anyway.

That run of winlessness wasn't a coincidence, he's a limited player who's been in the back pocket of Rafael, Neville and John O'Shea (and Valencia when Bale is leftback) whenever Spurs have played United recently. Only Obertan and Fabio playing out of position have really struggled with him.
So he didn't do well against United, he wasn't the first and won't be the last quality player to do that.

Berlinknives

If Spurs don't make it to the top seven, I won't be surprised if we go for Bale.

I'd say he is in our transfer policy for sure, young, has potential and to top it off he has been playing pretty well in the PL.
Do we really have £25-30 million to spare for one player? Probably £40 million with Redknapp haggling.

Maybe if United sell Rooney to Barcelona and Vidic to Madrid.

But since Bale is the "best attacking left side player in the Premiership" ... I'm sure it's a bargin. :rolleyes:

amolbhatia50k

Do we really have £25-30 million to spare for one player? Probably £40 million with Redknapp haggling.

Maybe if United sell Rooney to Barcelona and Vidic to Madrid.

But since Bale is the "best attacking left side player in the Premiership" ... I'm sure it's a bargin. :rolleyes:
He is an excellent player. That claim makes no difference whatsoever.

But yeah, he would be too expensive. Really really good player though.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
He's nowhere near a 30m player yet, still if Spurs don't make it to the CL again or even europe, hopefully the lad will start showing his ambition to play for a top club and hopefully it is us.

Whether we go for him or not is a totally different situation, the muppet in me has been itching for some muppetery so Bale is probably the hottest young player from the past 6 matches so why not :)

RedRover

By your logic expressed in the "gift for Nani" thread, Bale still has to do a lot more to be a proven quality player.
Perhaps he does - depends on your definition of quality but I think he's a couple of years younger than Nani?

The point I made in the Nani thread was that he has been at least as good as him over the last year or so.

Regarding Bale I think he's got all teh tools to be really top class. He's tall and athletic which is a good attribute in such a hard league, and is very quick. Has teh attributes a classic PL winger.

Think at the right club he could really push on. And he's a "home grown player" as well.

RedRover

Based on what? Completely different type of player and a young lad who despite a few setbacks has been absolutly outstanding the back end of last and the beginning of this season.

If you want to talk about examples of good performances what about when he took Chelsea apart last year, or a few days later when he did the same to Arsenal?

He's a young lad who may not be great every week.

Even if you accept the highly dubious suggestion taht he was responsible for the "winless run" ( a grim time with managerial changes and players moving all over the shop) then you might note he played at Left back nearly all the time rather than the left wing.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I can't believe we passed on the chance to buy him for £5m, yet gladly paid £7m for Bebe.