Gareth Bale is...The most expensive player ever?!

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Only seems really crazy because Bentley hasn't been playing all that much. People's perceptions of players change like the wind. A few years ago, Bentley was regarded as about the same - maybe above Valencia, and neither have actually done so much to change that. I'd say Bentley as a footballer is easily on Park's level. I'd take Valencia - and actually Park - above him, but a lot of that is because of other attributes. Valencia has a lot in his locker and can improve, and Park is a fantastic player to have in the squad especially due to his energy.
"Mancienne is Evans level. Shawcross is better than Evans"

"Bentley is better than Valencia"

Valencia was the best right winger in the prem last year. Bentley played 12 games all season for Tottenham.

It's stupid. Perhaps peoples opinions of him have changed because muppets like Salvation once claimed him and Reo Coker were two of the best talents in the premier league. He was massively over-hyped. He's gone to Tottenham and can sometimes not get on the bench.

How can anyone who watches football argue that Mancienne is the same level as Evans. Or Bentley is better than Valencia. Or Evans isn't good enough to be at Man United. Or that you need a squad of players who'd get in the worlds top 23 players.

I don't know why people like that are allowed to post here.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Mancienne is rubbish, I'll say that.

Shawcross is pretty good though. Not in Evans' class.

That seems a bit irrelevant to this, or was that Salv as well?

Bentley can't get in Spurs' midfield on a regular basis. That shouldn't be so much of a surprise. Lennon is no mug.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Meh. Opinions.

There have always been some weird ones on here and always will be.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only seems really crazy because Bentley hasn't been playing all that much. People's perceptions of players change like the wind. A few years ago, Bentley was regarded as about the same - maybe above Valencia, and neither have actually done so much to change that. I'd say Bentley as a footballer is easily on Park's level. I'd take Valencia - and actually Park - above him, but a lot of that is because of other attributes. Valencia has a lot in his locker and can improve, and Park is a fantastic player to have in the squad especially due to his energy.

Some on here talk about Valencia like he's already made it - already at, say, Kanchelskis's level. He ain't there yet! And he never 'tore us a new one'. He had one impressive game against us - that's it.
I'd say Bentley's incredibly underwhelming time with Spurs, combined with Valencia's surprisingly rapid adjustment to playing for United, has changed those perceptions quite a bit.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Meh. Opinions.

There have always been some weird ones on here and always will be.
You say weird. You mean wrong.

Claiming Mancienne is the same level of Evans. Claiming Evans isn't good enough to be in Uniteds squad. Claiming Valencia is inferior to Bentley.

The equivalent argument to that is like saying you'd rather have Pavlychenko over Drogba or Rooney. Or Senderos is as good as Evans.

Salvation

Damnation
Mancienne is rubbish, I'll say that.

Shawcross is pretty good though. Not in Evans' class.

That seems a bit irrelevant to this, or was that Salv as well?

Bentley can't get in Spurs' midfield on a regular basis. That shouldn't be so much of a surprise. Lennon is no mug.
Guilty as charged.

I like Mancienne, probably an error in judgment considering the extensive flack.

I'd say Bentley's incredibly underwhelming time with Spurs, combined with Valencia's surprisingly rapid adjustment to playing for United, has changed those perceptions quite a bit. Amongst the saner football fans, anyway.
What cheeses me off is you think Valencia 'tore a new one' and posted Youtube videos while you slag me preferring Bentley above him when the latter has actually scored a hattrick against United.

Not that a hattrick 'tore a new one' but just saying.

Re: Twigginater, I'm not sure why someone who thinks the polar opposite of you is by default wrong. If I could stick my neck out, it's one of the main things that detracts many from freely posting here, because the thought police would arrive and gobble up all hope for a discussion by leveling epithets. If you disagree, then prove your stance. If it's beyond the effort, like I've often felt, then sod it and continue laughing at...dunno, um...sincher's random musings...

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You can't claim Bentley is better than Valencia. It's not an opinion. It's wrong. I can't claim Rory Delap is better than Ronaldo. It's not an opinion. It's wrong.

I think you post stuff just to be controversial. There's no way anyone sane can believe some of the things you've posted.

Salvation

Damnation
You can't claim Bentley is better than Valencia. It's not an opinion. It's wrong. I can't claim Rory Delap is better than Ronaldo. It's not an opinion. It's wrong.

I think you post stuff just to be controversial. There's no way anyone sane can believe some of the things you've posted.
That can't be a right analogy. If I could, at this late stage, explain that stance. It was always more to do with ability than recent performances. For me, Bentley has more ability with the ball than Valencia. It quite clearly doesn't reflect the past year, and it's even beyond debate that over that time, not just Valencia but the entire United set of wingers have been better, purely by default.

Again, that could be the most shockingly insane and blatantly wrong opinion in your book, but as sinch said, it's a judgment call (all of these things have been) and it's bound to differ. Look at the Valencia transfer thread linked earlier in this thread, you see debates all over there differing in opinions on Nani and Valencia.

It also speaks volumes on how fans view players before playing for their teams and as opposed to while actually wearing club colours.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That can't be a right analogy. If I could, at this late stage, explain that stance. It was always more to do with ability than recent performances. For me, Bentley has more ability with the ball than Valencia. It quite clearly doesn't reflect the past year, and it's even beyond debate that over that time, not just Valencia but the entire United set of wingers have been better, purely by default.

Again, that could be the most shockingly insane and blatantly wrong opinion in your book, but as sinch said, it's a judgment call (all of these things have been) and it's bound to differ. Look at the Valencia transfer thread linked earlier in this thread, you see debates all over there differing in opinions on Nani and Valencia.

It also speaks volumes on how fans view players before playing for their teams and as opposed to while actually wearing club colours.
Then you're talking about talent aren't you. If you put it that way I'm sure you'd get less flack. Talent is very subjective and Bentley is actually pretty talented on the ball.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Weird is one thing, going overboard about Bale when he's had about 10 games on the wing is a plumbing new depths of muppetry.
Last season and this season so far Bale has started 33 games for Spurs in all competitions, plus 5 sub appearances. In the majority these games he's played in LW.

During these 38 appearances he has clocked up 5 goals and 15 assists - more than a goal or assist every other appearance on average - in addition to contributing significantly to Spurs good defensive record.

And before last season he was still mostly impressive whenever he played and in whatever position he played, even if he has now come on in leaps and bounds.

It's your illusion that Bale's reputation is based on nothing much.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Then you're talking about talent aren't you. If you put it that way I'm sure you'd get less flack. Talent is very subjective and Bentley is actually pretty talented on the ball.
He's reasonably talented on the ball and has a decent right foot but that's only one small aspect of being a good footballer.

This place is full of debate about player x being better than player y and you can only ever judge a footballer on the whole package, everything that makes him the player he is.

What Salvation just did is like saying Bellion is better than Forlan, then when he's called out on it saying "well he's faster, isn't he?"

Then there's all the insanity about Mancienne and Shawcross being better than Evans. Which is just fecking nuts and makes it even harder to give him any benefit of the doubt about Bentley.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Gareth Bale is........ a very bad left back. Wigan could have had 3 in 2 mins from that side. As it turned out they only got the 1.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Well that unwind was a bit rapid :lol:
Only 1 game Pete. Arsenal aren't exactly adverse to the odd early season slip up are they?

They won't get top 4, but they won't be far away.

Salvation

Damnation
He's reasonably talented on the ball and has a decent right foot but that's only one small aspect of being a good footballer.

This place is full of debate about player x being better than player y and you can only ever judge a footballer on the whole package, everything that makes him the player he is.

What Salvation just did is like saying Bellion is better than Forlan, then when he's called out on it saying "well he's faster, isn't he?"

Then there's all the insanity about Mancienne and Shawcross being better than Evans. Which is just fecking nuts and makes it even harder to give him any benefit of the doubt about Bentley.
He's quite clearly more than 'reasonably talented'. I have no Youtube montages to prove this, though.

I'm unsure what I'm being called out on. You really this Internet discussion thing very seriously, don't you?

Ah, anyways, let me once again concede...you know more than me. Or, to put it in your words: statistically, you tore a new one on my judgment capability while discussing footballers' talents.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He's quite clearly more than 'reasonably talented'. I have no Youtube montages to prove this, though.

I'm unsure what I'm being called out on. You really this Internet discussion thing very seriously, don't you?

Ah, anyways, let me once again concede...you know more than me. Or, to put it in your words: statistically, you tore a new one on my judgment capability while discussing footballers' talents.
Pretty much.

You're definitely one of the most clueless posters I've encountered on here.

Oh well. Maybe you're yong and lernin?

Salvation

Damnation
Hey, that's his class working in a different manner. How dare!

When Internet folk would grow old, they'd be telling their grandchildren of these escapades they witnessed online involving him, and it shall be without a shadow of doubt, where their grandchildren shall not question the quality of opposition, experience and other parameters.

amolbhatia50k

Kind of. Having good technique and very good delivery is definitely different to being just fast. I agree that you look at everything but to be air to Salvation, Bentley was very good at one point. But I don't think it's ever really come together for him.

Maybe he believes his talent is greater than Valencia's no matter how poorly the former has applied. I don't disagree with that but I don't see what the problem is. As for Mancienne, to be fair I know feck all about him, so I can't really judge. But if he had half the talent Evans had he would be playing at a higher level than he is.

Finally, why do you feel the need to give him the benefit of doubt? I don't see why his opinion means so much to you. He's got a few, they seem rather strange, but feck knows we've all taken our own time wrapping our head around this game. And sometimes we just like to see it from a different view.

amolbhatia50k

Bentley was never very good he was very promising as a kid but never fulfilled it which is why Arsenal sold him.
Yeah, pretty good. Either it's not like he was talentless. I'm just trying to help Salvation out here.

Jens' Face

An Arse
Yes it does.

It's evidence of Valencia causing a top class defence (i.e. ours) all sorts of problems. The same defence that broke records that very season (yes, that's with John O'Shea on the pitch) This is in response to a post implying Valencia has never performed against top class defences (do I really need to frigging point this out again?)

I'm only resorting to youtube because I'm dealing with half-wits and weirdos that seem to have the memory of an amoeba and wouldn't know a quality footballer if he kicked them up the hole.

On that note, I'm out. You're far too much hard work. The combination of you having very little clue at all about football (as you admit yourself) with being obstinant and obtuse makes for a very irritating discussion.
when did you turn into a jerk, pogue? I know messageboards can do that to a person.

I recall you being the source of a lot of good (not petty) discussions on here.

amolbhatia50k

when did you turn into a jerk, pogue? I know messageboards can do that to a person.

I recall you being the source of a lot of good (not petty) discussions on here.
Has been since I've noticed his posts properly. Unbelievably unpleasant individual who resorts to 'trying' to belittle other people when all the other kids don't agree with him. It's his way when he can't 'win'.

I'm someone who doesn't take this place very seriously at all. I mean it is an internet forum after all. It's not meant to be taken that way. But it's sad when the experience is ruined by someone like this. I didn't even notice that post. I feel like I should feel insulted by it. But I don't. Feel pity actually.

Pogue, do me a favor and don't reply to my posts again and don't comment on them either. I wont as well. Tata

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has been since I've noticed his posts properly. Unbelievably unpleasant individual who resorts to 'trying' to belittle other people when all the other kids don't agree with him. It's his way when he can't 'win'.

I'm someone who doesn't take this place very seriously at all. I mean it is an internet forum after all. It's not meant to be taken that way. But it's sad when the experience is ruined by someone like this. I didn't even notice that post. I feel like I should feel insulted by it. But I don't. Feel pity actually.

Pogue, do me a favor and don't reply to my posts again and don't comment on them either. I wont as well. Tata
Get the feeling your a WUM give it a break mate!:nono:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Use the ignore function, gimpy.

Gotta laugh at someone trying to claim he doesn't take the Internet seriously, then coming out with such a girly rant :lol:

Dry your eyes and toodle-pip.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I'd say Bentley's incredibly underwhelming time with Spurs, combined with Valencia's surprisingly rapid adjustment to playing for United, has changed those perceptions quite a bit.
Am I the only one who just never thought Bentley was any good in the first place? He had that one half decent season, but in the games I watched at that time, he still looked quite shite. He's been shite at Spurs; he was shite when he was given a chance on the international stage (didn't he once refuse to play for England because he was "tired"?); he was shipped out from Arsenal, for being a bit shite. He even managed to look a bit shite when scoring a hat trick against Manchester United. Blackburn was and always will be his level.

I don't think Bale's that great either, while we're on about him. He just strikes me as another one of those half decent players who's having a good run. Before too long it'll die out, and he'll just go back to being that ugly faced Welsh bloke who sometimes beats his man and puts a cross in.

Kieran Richardson is as talented as Ryan Giggs?

Salvation

Damnation
Am I the only one who just never thought Bentley was any good in the first place? He had that one half decent season, but in the games I watched at that time, he still looked quite shite. He's been shite at Spurs; he was shite when he was given a chance on the international stage (didn't he once refuse to play for England because he was "tired"?); he was shipped out from Arsenal, for being a bit shite. He even managed to look a bit shite when scoring a hat trick against Manchester United. Blackburn was and always will be his level.
Which are the PL wingers you actually do rate then, noods?

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Everytime I watch Bale I am impressed. He has almost everything. He's fecking lightening and strong too!

We should go all out for this guy next summer if he continues as he has been.

Him and Rodwell are the exciting Brits that deserve to be at United

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Which are the PL wingers you actually do rate then, noods?
Of the current crop, Nani, Valencia and Malouda have all come good over the past year, Giggs is still up there, Lennon will be a superb player if he ever learns that he doesn't ALWAYS have to try and beat his man. Walcot's got the potential to be the best winger in the league, Silva will be good if he settles at City, etc. Obviously I'd have to concede Bale's up there too if he keeps up the form he's showed towards the end of last season...the thing is that before then he didn't really show anything other than the odd glimpse, where as with the others the talent's always been there for all to see.

amolbhatia50k

Use the ignore function, gimpy.

Gotta laugh at someone trying to claim he doesn't take the Internet seriously, then coming out with such a girly rant :lol:

Dry your eyes and toodle-pip.
Hehe

Yeah some people will laugh at anything. Even figments of their imagination. It wasn't a rant, I just take pity in how hard you must be to tolerate. I've got better things to do than care about the antics of someone I don't even know. You seem to love doing that since everyones opinions get on your nerves. Talk about being girly!

Dry your eyes indeed :lol: